PDA

View Full Version : I can't imagine what Charlie and the BI have to deal with....

HoopsDawg
12-08-2022, 08:58 PM
in the NFL you have salary cap experts and GM's to deal with this. How do you decide how much to pay a player. Take Isaac Smith. What does it take to sign him? 50K, 100K? 200K? And then how does it get distributed: Signing bonus, monthly, semi-annually. And how do the returning safties handle the fact that this freshman is making 3 times what they are making? Who helps Isaac with taxes/money management. If he sucks, do you cut his "salary". If he's great do you have to take another chunk out of the BI.

Are donors supposed to blindly give to BI without knowing where their money is going? Just so many questions with this BS.

BayouDawg
12-08-2022, 09:19 PM
The thing that is the most weird to me is that us fans have to foot the bill with our money. Why can?t the university have a profit sharing model where the players get paid from the revenue of the tv deals and ticket sales?

GeoDawg
12-08-2022, 09:34 PM
NIL was supposed to have been about marketability, not salary. A student athlete could negotiate to profit off his marketability. Just because a player can produce "x" number of yards or "y" receptions doesn't necessarily mean he's marketable. Heck you could have a kicker or long snapper with a unique personality (Neon Deon or the Boz) and a huge twitter following and would be a whole lot more marketable than some receiver who catches 3 to 5 receptions a game.

maroonmania
12-08-2022, 09:39 PM
The thing that is the most weird to me is that us fans have to foot the bill with our money. Why can?t the university have a profit sharing model where the players get paid from the revenue of the tv deals and ticket sales?

The whole thing is nuts. Supposedly you can't pay the players out of the athletic department revenues because that would be pay for play and these guys are 'amateurs'. The farce is that NIL is nothing but pay for play.

Todd4State
12-08-2022, 09:40 PM
I can't imagine if it wasn't for Charlie what kind of shape we would be in. Cohen pretty much gave up on NIL after his idea and boy didn't work out. Our entire team would be in the portal right now except for a couple of guys.

maroonmania
12-08-2022, 09:48 PM
Is there some reason that most every player of note going in the portal is on the offensive side of the ball?

GeoDawg
12-08-2022, 09:56 PM
Is there some reason that most every player of note going in the portal is on the offensive side of the ball?
My opinion would be that "playmakers" tend to be Prima-Donna's. Defense is about the unit.

Todd4State
12-08-2022, 09:59 PM

Probably because we attract tougher players in defense because of our history and have to take chances on lazy players like RaRa and Heath on offense.

HoopsDawg
12-08-2022, 10:16 PM

I would love to know who got the legislation written that bans coaches from contributing to an NIL fund. They are the ones profiting the most off of the kids and they almost always leave for more money.

HoopsDawg
12-08-2022, 10:17 PM
My opinion would be that "playmakers" tend to be Prima-Donna's. Defense is about the unit.

True. So far no olinemen have left

Maroonthirteen
12-08-2022, 10:24 PM
Also having to ask individuals for scraps of money, when a school
Like Georgia probably has Atlanta businesses (and hiding it on their financial as a fraudulent expense) give what 1000s of us will or could give.

Coach34
12-08-2022, 11:18 PM
Charlie is a good Bulldog and doing what he can for us. It's 2022 college athletics.

Goldendawg
12-08-2022, 11:22 PM
True. So far no olinemen have left

We have had two OL, but they are backups, Buys and Carson.

Goldendawg
12-08-2022, 11:29 PM
Posted here about my son and I seeing a "coach looking person" and "a player looking person" in a serious, lengthy discussion regarding "your NIL" while filling up with gas at a Starkville business the Wednesday night before the KY game. I bet this is a balancing act that never lets up anytime, anywhere.

BeardoMSU
12-08-2022, 11:29 PM
Has anyone heard a precise dollar amount we've raised and if that is annual or just this year?

I know folks are working hard on this, but even OM has raised (supposedly) at least 10 mil.

It's depressing to think we may be DOA on this, i.e., Vandy level bc we just don't have the ability to compete...

Pancho
12-08-2022, 11:30 PM
Also having to ask individuals for scraps of money, when a school
Like Georgia probably has Atlanta businesses (and hiding it on their financial as a fraudulent expense) give what 1000s of us will or could give.

Uga used a NIL based in florida to give nakobe deans mom a $275K non profit business

Cowbell
12-09-2022, 12:12 AM
Uga used a NIL based in florida to give nakobe deans mom a $275K non profit business

And before NIL

Maroonthirteen
12-09-2022, 08:43 AM
But yes, that's a good point on allocation of resources. Is that what happened in all this?

We took care of the defense and OL and then the offensive skill players wanted their funds? ...and then when they came asking the well was dry?

I have no idea. Just speculation.

Cowbell
12-09-2022, 08:48 AM
But yes, that's a good point on allocation of resources. Is that what happened in all this?

We took care of the defense and OL and then the offensive skill players wanted their funds? ...and then when they came asking the well was dry?

I have no idea. Just speculation.

Well isn't dry. Some players just think they are worth above what we see is their market value...offensive players were taken care of early on as well

Lord McBuckethead
12-09-2022, 08:48 AM

Bingo. But even then, the individual players have a right to make money in any capacity in which the legally can, just like any other citizen and/or student.

Seems like we need a large group of donors to sponsor one of 8 position groups.

Cowbell
12-09-2022, 08:54 AM

Because that money is spent on all the other luxuries those players already receive

RiverCityDawg
12-09-2022, 08:56 AM
Bingo. But even then, the individual players have a right to make money in any capacity in which the legally can, just like any other citizen and/or student.

Seems like we need a large group of donors to sponsor one of 8 position groups.

But if everyone got a sizable base amount from TV revenue I think it would lessen the impact of NIL overall. Maybe not though, maybe everyone would still want more...

Problem is now we're talking about players being employees with contracts, collective bargaining, etc. I'm to the point where I wish the SEC would just step up and do it. Screw the other conferences. They would have to follow if they wanted to get elite players. But the schools aren't going to willingly give up money to the players, they'll just keep asking the fans to pay until literally no one gives a shit anymore...

HoopsDawg
12-09-2022, 09:38 AM
But if everyone got a sizable base amount from TV revenue I think it would lessen the impact of NIL overall. Maybe not though, maybe everyone would still want more...

Problem is now we're talking about players being employees with contracts, collective bargaining, etc. I'm to the point where I wish the SEC would just step up and do it. Screw the other conferences. They would have to follow if they wanted to get elite players. But the schools aren't going to willingly give up money to the players, they'll just keep asking the fans to pay until literally no one gives a shit anymore...

I wonder what the Title 9 consequences would be.

HoopsDawg
12-09-2022, 09:40 AM
Because that money is spent on all the other luxuries those players already receive

that money is also spent funding the other athletic programs.

StateDawg44
12-09-2022, 09:45 AM
They just passed NIL in Tennessee HS's yesterday. It was already said that if TN would've had this option Nico (Tennessee's 5* QB commit from CA) would've transferred from CA to Knoxville to play his senior year of HS to be closer to the UT program.

This isn't going to happen a lot but blue bloods will certainly see to it that they make it happen.

HoopsDawg
12-09-2022, 09:49 AM
They just passed NIL in Tennessee HS's yesterday. It was already said that if TN would've had this option Nico (Tennessee's 5* QB commit from CA) would've transferred from CA to Knoxville to play his senior year of HS to be closer to the UT program.

This isn't going to happen a lot but blue bloods will certainly see to it that they make it happen.

I can see it now, how much for the County kid to come play for the City school. Basketball players will probably benefit the most. Watch out for AAU getting linked up with certain high school programs in Memphis.