PDA

View Full Version : Zavion in portal.

Msujd164
12-08-2022, 01:51 PM
We are going to go through this every year. Kids with not many offers come here, have a good year, and take first bus outta town to go sit the bench at another bigger school.

msstate7
12-08-2022, 02:03 PM
Encouraged to leave, too soft

Took care of it, guys

662dawg
12-08-2022, 02:06 PM
I have no idea how we're going to replace his 2 receptions for 4 yards & 15 punt returns. Leach is so mean.

BHildreth3
12-08-2022, 02:07 PM
What sucks is for the Blue Bloods in our conference, they will use US as their MINOR LEAGUE team. They won't offer a scholarship, but they will watch their picks and see how they do at STATE, then bam, they are picked up. It sucks, because what makes college football so fun for YOUR school is when you get great performances out of YOUNG players.

Leroy Jenkins
12-08-2022, 02:09 PM
What sucks is for the Blue Bloods in our conference, they will use US as their MINOR LEAGUE team. They won't offer a scholarship, but they will watch their picks and see how they do at STATE, then bam, they are picked up. It sucks, because what makes college football so fun for YOUR school is when you get great performances out of YOUNG players.

Just think how bad its going to be for the 100 or so FBS programs below MSU. We are going to do the same thing. Shit rolls downhill.

Goldendawg
12-08-2022, 02:11 PM
RaRa and Zavion have talent and a high ceiling and I hate the no rules portal. I think our WR room will be hard to maintain with about 15 in the room and 10 or so with similar talents. No one stepped forward this year but these guys want to play now and want to be targeted with the ball, often and sometime stretching the field. We will continue to see constant transfers at this position unless portal rules change. JMO. Hail State!

662dawg
12-08-2022, 02:15 PM
RaRa and Zavion have talent and a high ceiling and I hate the no rules portal. I think our WR room will be hard to maintain with about 15 in the room and 10 or so with similar talents. No one stepped forward this year but these guys want to play now and want to be targeted with the ball, often and sometime stretching the field. We will continue to see constant transfers at this position unless portal rules change. JMO. Hail State!

Agreed. We should expect 2-3 or more WR's per year to transfer out due to exactly what you said. None of the ones who've left are irreplaceable. Good players, but not irreplaceable at all. I guess Zavion is a good receiver, he really never touched the field at WR. Hell probably be a good 3rd team guy at LSU. I wish him the best.

Goldendawg
12-08-2022, 02:17 PM
Just think how bad its going to be for the 100 or so FBS programs below MSU. We are going to do the same thing. Shit rolls downhill.

Our last OL commit was flipped from USM, our last CB, a flip from Pitt. This is HS players. Add in the portal and "You are Definitely Going to need a Program to Know the Players". Now about 4 or so different times per year, 1st Portal Window, 2nd Portal Window, December Signing Day, February Sign Day. This is becoming a non-sustainable joke.

msstate7
12-08-2022, 02:19 PM
I have no idea how we're going to replace his 2 receptions for 4 yards & 15 punt returns. Leach is so mean.

5th nationally in PR.

I'm sure lsu going after all kinds of garbage players though

CaptainObvious
12-08-2022, 02:22 PM
We don?t need 15-18 WRs. We need 10. With 6 doing most of the catches.

#1 with 75-80
#2 with 60-65
#3 with 45-50
#4 with 40-45
#5 with 35-40
#6 with 30-35

#1 RB with 60+
#2 RB with 40
#3 RB with 15

confucius say
The kid is from new Orleans and lsu is his dream school. Hope he gets a spot there but sucks against us.

HancockCountyDog
5th nationally in PR.

I'm sure lsu going after all kinds of garbage players though

I'll bet you a whole two dollars that he does not end up on scholarship at LSU.

He may walk-on, but I doubt they give him a scholarship.

msstate7
12-08-2022, 02:24 PM

$2 a little rich for my blood.

If he left a full ride to walk on, he dumb. I would assume he got some sort of offer

Goldendawg
12-08-2022, 02:24 PM
We don?t need 15-18 WRs. We need 10. With 6 doing most of the catches.

#1 with 75-80
#2 with 60-65
#3 with 45-50
#4 with 40-45
#5 with 35-40
#6 with 30-35

#1 RB with 60+
#2 RB with 40
#3 RB with 15

100%. I couldn't even keep up with who was on the field from game to game or even play to play this year. Some of those targets going to top 6 instead of 7-15 or so and you might have a happier WR room, but I am by no means a coach.

Homedawg
12-08-2022, 02:31 PM
I'm sure he's going on scholarship. Whether he gets any legit nil $ is something else. He had an offer from us. Is what it is.

PikeDawg15
12-08-2022, 02:41 PM
The kid is from new Orleans and lsu is his dream school. Hope he gets a spot there but sucks against us.

They absolute cult which is LSU is wild

There is no other program in the country that has that type of pull in their state like LSU does

It?s like from Birth they are trained to swear allegiance to LSU like a hitler oath or a communist party initiation

Coach34
12-08-2022, 03:06 PM
If you dont think losing RaRa and Zavion hurts us then you are either stupid or lying to yourself. Some of you morons tried to say losing Polk wasnt going to hurt us either and we know that just wasn't true. Lame got more out of Heath than we ever did. Losing talent hurts- period. Other SEC schools are pulling these guys away for a reason and its because they can play.

We may replace them adequately or we may not- but losing talent hurts. We better send someone to check in on Whiskey Pirate. He's probably on suicide watch

Pancho
12-08-2022, 03:08 PM
the same Lame who never realized that a goal line D was being utilized to stop his vaunted offense?

yjnkdawg
12-08-2022, 03:14 PM

True......We wouldn't even know who he was if LSU had initially offered him unless he got on the field when we played them.

Todd4State
12-08-2022, 03:26 PM
If you dont think losing RaRa and Zavion hurts us then you are either stupid or lying to yourself. Some of you morons tried to say losing Polk wasnt going to hurt us either and we know that just wasn't true. Lame got more out of Heath than we ever did. Losing talent hurts- period. Other SEC schools are pulling these guys away for a reason and its because they can play.

We may replace them adequately or we may not- but losing talent hurts. We better send someone to check in on Whiskey Pirate. He's probably on suicide watch

Gonna be hard to replace all of those drops.**

Heath had more touchdowns his last year at MSU than he did at Ole Miss by the way. Much like the Ole Miss offense- good between the 20's. Not so good when it's time to score.

HancockCountyDog
12-08-2022, 03:28 PM
the same Lame who never realized that a goal line D was being utilized to stop his vaunted offense?

I think we can all agree that no one has single complaint about Arnett and how he has coached our defense.

I actually think Arnett is the best coach in the entire state.

NCDawg
12-08-2022, 03:39 PM

I agree losing Polk hurt us. He was very reliable and our best W/R. RaRa has a lot of talent, but he would sometimes disappear in games. Zavion never played enough to decide if he was really good or not. He looked very good sometimes on punt returns.

Coach34
12-08-2022, 03:41 PM

Yes- the Lame that is 2-1 against us

662dawg
12-08-2022, 03:53 PM

I wouldn't make this bet lol but I would bet that he transfers again next year bc he didn't see the field.

RisperDawg
12-08-2022, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't make this bet lol but I would bet that he transfers again next year bc he didn't see the field.

He won't be eligible for transfer without graduating. You're one and done unless it's a grad transfer.

bulldawg28
12-08-2022, 03:59 PM
Gonna be hard to replace all of those drops.**

Heath had more touchdowns his last year at MSU than he did at Ole Miss by the way. Much like the Ole Miss offense- good between the 20's. Not so good when it's time to score.

Heath had double the catches and yards this year. He had one less TD due Ole Miss runs the ball in goal line situations.

bulldawg28
12-08-2022, 04:00 PM
He won't be eligible for transfer without graduating. You're one and done unless it's a grad transfer.

Or your coach leaves.

662dawg
12-08-2022, 04:03 PM

Ahhh. I guess people like JT Daniels can transfer again bc they're grad students or something?

confucius say
12-08-2022, 04:05 PM
Yes- the Lame that is 2-1 against us

Stop trolling. He got outcoached in 2020, with a veteran team and a borderline 5 star NFL quarterback, and barely beat a team of 50 players, many of whom were true freshman.

You're right though that losing talent hurts. No way around that. Better get busy in the portal.

confucius say
12-08-2022, 04:06 PM
Or your coach leaves.
Grad transfer and coach leaving both require a waiver if you've already transferred, correct?

confucius say
12-08-2022, 04:07 PM
Ahhh. I guess people like JT Daniels can transfer again bc they're grad students or something?

Per the ncaa website, he will need a waiver. Now those may be easy to get, but that's the process. Whereas there is no waiver required for your first transfer.

bulldawg28
12-08-2022, 04:09 PM
Grad transfer and coach leaving both require a waiver if you've already transferred, correct?

I'm not certain. I know it's an option now when head coaches leave.

RisperDawg
12-08-2022, 04:11 PM
I just tried to find a succinct explanation of the rules since y'all have got me thinking. It's wild that there doesn't appear to be a straightforward search result.

Really Clark?
12-08-2022, 04:13 PM

Not as a grad transfer. But if the coach leaves and You have already transferred once before, then yes you do.

confucius say
12-08-2022, 04:32 PM
Not as a grad transfer. But if the coach leaves and You have already transferred once before, then yes you do.

Their website says different. The last item in this link says to transfer as a graduate now requires a waiver if you used your one free transfer as an undergraduate previously. Maybe it's changed again.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/OneTime_Transfer.pdf

Brahmabull
12-08-2022, 04:54 PM
I'm not sure Z makes it to LSU..... May end up at a G5 LA school.

BuckyIsAB****
12-08-2022, 06:10 PM
If we are gonna call it straight, one incredibly inconsistent WR left. When he is good he is good but when the other DBs play physical he might as well not be out there. A RB who clearly at the very least misled people and tried to hurt us on the way out the door. Wish he would stay. And a punt returner who mysteriously missed a game in the middle of the season. Ask yourself What do all 3 have in common? We are still doing better than Bama, UF, A&M. Dont get it twisted I hate to lose Johnson. But We are going to make it.

Tater
12-08-2022, 06:18 PM
If we are gonna call it straight, one incredibly inconsistent WR left. When he is good he is good but when the other DBs play physical he might as well not be out there. A RB who clearly at the very least misled people and tried to hurt us on the way out the door. Wish he would stay. And a punt returner who mysteriously missed a game in the middle of the season. Ask yourself What do all 3 have in common? We are still doing better than Bama, UF, A&M. Dont get it twisted I hate to lose Johnson. But We are going to make it.

All 3 had Will Rogers as their quarterback

NCDawg
12-08-2022, 06:46 PM

I disagree with all you guys criticizing Rogers so much. I think he's a good QB. We saw what he could do when Polk was playing W/R. He was great against Auburn last year. He can't complete passes if the W/R's don't get separation and get open.

Homedawg
12-08-2022, 06:52 PM
Or your coach leaves.

Or twenty other reasons. They haven't been overly strict w that rule.

Tater
12-08-2022, 06:56 PM
I disagree with all you guys criticizing Rogers so much. I think he's a good QB. We saw what he could do when Polk was playing W/R. He was great against Auburn last year. He can't complete passes if the W/R's don't get separation and get open.

He literally regressed and can't / won't throw those balls anymore. Go watch tape. He was showing trajectory to be serviceable and then it's like his arm gave out

BuckyIsAB****
12-08-2022, 07:05 PM

Yeah. And one couldnt get on the field as a WR. One would totally disappear and was lazy added in 3 dropped TDs. And the other one gets all his carrys bc Will Rogers changes the play for him to get it. Get a clue. Bc you dont have much of one. The entire team that has the balls enough to hang around and the coaching staff disagrees with you.

BuckyIsAB****
12-08-2022, 07:06 PM
Yall would be wise to drop the Rogers hate. Bc the only way he is not going to start is bc he leaves or gets hurt. Thats what happens when you are an established proven starter. Despite how many message board QB coaches who dont know the first thing about the offense or about you feel

BuckyIsAB****
12-08-2022, 07:15 PM
And just for clarification, this is a Mississippi State message board. And we have people on here literally defending 3 kids who do not want to be here and 2 that left with malicious intent. While we look for ways to blame/attack our coach and 1 kid who loves the school and has gotten destroyed more than a Jap 0 and got back up every time. Just so we are clear

Activated Alpha
12-08-2022, 07:21 PM

Zing

Activated Alpha
12-08-2022, 07:24 PM
No one is questioning Will Rodger's heart or determination as our starting QB. He isn't terrible, but he isn't what we need to elevate this offense. Could he be worse? Hell yes, we all remember Croomtastic quarterbacks getting doggie fu**ed against LSU, Arkansas, Maine, etc....

But it's not super harsh criticism to see he could be better at his position

BuckyIsAB****
12-08-2022, 07:34 PM
No one is questioning Will Rodger's heart or determination as our starting QB. He isn't terrible, but he isn't what we need to elevate this offense. Could he be worse? Hell yes, we all remember Croomtastic quarterbacks getting doggie fu**ed against LSU, Arkansas, Maine, etc....

But it's not super harsh criticism to see he could be better at his position

He absolutely could be better. But so could everyone. That is not unique to him. And he is def not the biggest of our problems. If he is, we are in pretty good shape

Tater
12-08-2022, 07:37 PM
He absolutely could be better. But so could everyone. That is not unique to him. And he is def not the biggest of our problems. If he is, we are in pretty good shape

8-4 is decent. We're ranked. But his arm strength is pretty clearly the limiting factor from unlocking 10+ wins with Leach. Is what it is Buck.

Goldendawg
12-08-2022, 07:53 PM
8-4 is decent. We're ranked. But his arm strength is pretty clearly the limiting factor from unlocking 10+ wins with Leach. Is what it is Buck.

No one is perfect, but his OM showing left a lot to be desired. If he really told a former RB ( who was playing banged up and had just run the ball to the pylon) that he was pulling the ball on 1st and inches, faced two D players with no hope of scoring, fumbled at the 1 while reaching out with the ball, and put the game back in jeopardy, I can see how this might have added to RB's unhappiness. JMO.

Coach34
12-08-2022, 08:12 PM
Yall would be wise to drop the Rogers hate. Bc the only way he is not going to start is bc he leaves or gets hurt. Thats what happens when you are an established proven starter. Despite how many message board QB coaches who dont know the first thing about the offense or about you feel

100%. He will be the QB in 2023 and anybody thinking otherwise is kidding themselves

NCDawg
12-08-2022, 08:15 PM
No one is perfect, but his OM showing left a lot to be desired. If he really told a former RB ( who was playing banged up and had just run the ball to the pylon) that he was pulling the ball on 1st and inches, faced two D players with no hope of scoring, fumbled at the 1 while reaching out with the ball, and put the game back in jeopardy, I can see how this might have added to RB's unhappiness. JMO.

As I recall, he gave it to the RB on 1st down and he was stuffed. I didn't have a problem with Rogers keeping the ball on 2nd down because he thought that would fool them since he very seldom keeps it. Obviously, he shouldn't have reached for the goal and stuck the ball out.

662dawg
12-08-2022, 08:18 PM
As I recall, he gave it to the RB on 1st down and he was stuffed. I didn't have a problem with Rogers keeping the ball on 2nd down because he thought that would fool them since he very seldom keeps it. Obviously, he shouldn't have reached for the goal and stuck the ball out.

I agree with this. His mistake was fumbling the ball. It was actually a shocking play call lol

bulldawg28
12-08-2022, 08:55 PM
Or twenty other reasons. They haven't been overly strict w that rule.

Gotcha

bulldawg28
12-08-2022, 08:56 PM
100%. He will be the QB in 2023 and anybody thinking otherwise is kidding themselves

Yep, and 8 wins is the ceiling for him.

Goldendawg
12-08-2022, 09:03 PM

You are correct, 2nd down. He should have read the two OM guys on the outside if he was determined to pull the ball before the play even developed and protected the ball. Run it two more times up the middle or off tackle. If it failed, hopefully hit a point blank FG for a 2 score lead and less drama. I know I am Monday morning QBing and the fumble changed the game at that time. Hail State!

maroonmania
12-08-2022, 09:41 PM
And just for clarification, this is a Mississippi State message board. And we have people on here literally defending 3 kids who do not want to be here and 2 that left with malicious intent. While we look for ways to blame/attack our coach and 1 kid who loves the school and has gotten destroyed more than a Jap 0 and got back up every time. Just so we are clear

Most of these kids don't want to be anywhere except where they can make the most money.

Todd4State
12-08-2022, 09:51 PM

If Dillion was that selfish then he should go. And he did.

Todd4State
12-08-2022, 09:52 PM
Most of these kids don't want to be anywhere except where they can make the most money.

Yep. I wish we could get kids that were all in about MSU that had 4 star ability and Austin Williams work ethic but that's not reality.

lastmajordog
12-08-2022, 09:54 PM

Validates my opinion of playing backups as much as possible to get them game ready is imperative. If Will goes down lets see how well this offense does. HS or college, nothing beats game experience. Anyone arguing that is rolling dice.

Todd4State
12-08-2022, 09:54 PM
You are correct, 2nd down. He should have read the two OM guys on the outside if he was determined to pull the ball before the play even developed and protected the ball. Run it two more times up the middle or off tackle. If it failed, hopefully hit a point blank FG for a 2 score lead and less drama. I know I am Monday morning QBing and the fumble changed the game at that time. Hail State!

I expected us to check to a pass. A little square out or that pick play we run would have probably worked unless it was covered. But they're usually wide open.

Todd4State
12-08-2022, 09:55 PM
Validates my opinion of playing backups as much as possible to get them game ready is imperative. If Will goes down let's see how well this offense does. HS or college, nothing beats game experience. Anyone arguing that is rolling dice.

Playing Sawyer Robertson every game for even a series wasn't going to magically make him better. The only thing playing him ever did is validate what others were saying about him in practice- which was he isn't ready.

lastmajordog
12-08-2022, 10:11 PM
Playing Sawyer Robertson every game for even a series wasn't going to magically make him better. The only thing playing him ever did is validate what others were saying about him in practice- which was he isn't ready.

Then it makes perfect sense keeping rogers in games in the win column instead of improving a backup. I’m not talking about a series, I’m talking about quarters. Todd you are one I think really grasp things but I’ve seen a HS destroyed by that thinking, and If Rogers goes down “Needlessly”......we shall see. Maybe you are right but I don’t think so.

Coach34
12-08-2022, 10:40 PM
Validates my opinion of playing backups as much as possible to get them game ready is imperative. If Will goes down lets see how well this offense does. HS or college, nothing beats game experience. Anyone arguing that is rolling dice.

100%

It's crazy to me why Rogers even played a snap in the 2nd half vs the doorknob team. Literally no reason for it

Coach34
12-08-2022, 10:44 PM

This is not true. Game experience makes players better. That's not even up for debate. Playing Rogers after halftime vs ETSU was ridiculous. Players need game reps to get better.

Goldendawg
12-08-2022, 11:13 PM
Times may have changed, but who was the coach we had that brought in the backup QB the third series of the game no matter what, Jackie?

Cowbell
12-09-2022, 12:26 AM
This is not true. Game experience makes players better. That's not even up for debate. Playing Rogers after halftime vs ETSU was ridiculous. Players need game reps to get better.

Maybe the most frustrating thing I've seen since auburn 3-2. It was stupid. Kicking rocks stupid

Lord McBuckethead
12-09-2022, 01:03 AM

Zavion is a potential difference maker. Him and Tulu need 15 touches a game on offense. I believe he would have been better off in this offense, and with the way our team rotates guys, I figured Zavion would have had an opportunity to thrive.

Lord McBuckethead
12-09-2022, 01:05 AM

Also, if the kid knew he was getting a series here and there, he would prepare much harder during the week. That is a fact.
I said it before the game, Sawyer deserved every snap of the ETSU game. Will could have used the week off to rest his arm to be able to throw it 17 yards down field.

Todd4State
12-09-2022, 02:09 AM
Then it makes perfect sense keeping rogers in games in the win column instead of improving a backup. I’m not talking about a series, I’m talking about quarters. Todd you are one I think really grasp things but I’ve seen a HS destroyed by that thinking, and If Rogers goes down “Needlessly”......we shall see. Maybe you are right but I don’t think so.

High school is completely different than college. Especially with the portal.

Don't forget our starter needs reps too.

Todd4State
12-09-2022, 02:15 AM

We handled the ETSU the same way the vast majority of coaches I have followed handle that type of a game. I think in college you should play your QB in a game like that for three quarters while heavily rotating the other players on both sides of the ball. The reason being I wouldn't want to tell my starting QB to take the rest of the day off and then a QB like Sawyer comes in and struggles and then all of a sudden the back up defense is out there getting worn down and a couple of INT's later and then it's a 28-14 game with a quarter to play. Then all of a sudden we're on "upset alert" on ESPN. Nope. Go get 2-3 more TD's and stomp on their throat and give the fourth quarter to the back up QB's and walk-ons and freshmen.

We handled that game the right way. Should have been 56-0 and all the QB's and players got reps.

Todd4State
12-09-2022, 02:17 AM
Times may have changed, but who was the coach we had that brought in the backup QB the third series of the game no matter what, Jackie?

Jackie. And it seemed to always lead to a three and out and killed momentum. I used to HATE when he did that.

Todd4State
12-09-2022, 02:18 AM
Also, if the kid knew he was getting a series here and there, he would prepare much harder during the week. That is a fact.
I said it before the game, Sawyer deserved every snap of the ETSU game. Will could have used the week off to rest his arm to be able to throw it 17 yards down field.

I mean, Sawyer starting wasn't going to magically make him know the plays all of a sudden. I think he would have been so bad we would have been forced to play Will for three quarters anyway.

BuckyIsAB****
12-09-2022, 10:35 AM
Zavion is a potential difference maker. Him and Tulu need 15 touches a game on offense. I believe he would have been better off in this offense, and with the way our team rotates guys, I figured Zavion would have had an opportunity to thrive.

There is a lot more to playing WR than yall realize especially for Leach. It is why Tulu hasnt been our best one. Thomas struggled with the mental part its why he was PR specialist. Same with Hargrove

QuadrupleOption
12-09-2022, 03:19 PM

We missed Polk. We didn't miss Malik Heath:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4689334/malik-heath

We might miss Zavion but he didn't do much here at WR. We might miss DJ but his stats are replaceable.

bulldawg28
12-09-2022, 03:47 PM
High school is completely different than college. Especially with the portal.

Don't forget our starter needs reps too.

All players need game reps to improve.

Chuck3124
12-11-2022, 11:21 AM
So is Zavion taking his name out of the portal? I was told by someone on Twitter last night that he may or may not transfer now. Anybody else heard this?

DownwardDawg
12-11-2022, 11:48 AM

I got chastised in a game thread for asking why our backups didn't at least get in late in the game. Every game snap matters to a backup. Just getting on the field with a crowd during a game helps a little.

DownwardDawg
12-11-2022, 11:50 AM
Jackie. And it seemed to always lead to a three and out and killed momentum. I used to HATE when he did that.

It was a terrible strategy. But it's real simple. The answer is somewhere in between. Backups need game reps. Even garbage time reps gets them on the field in front of a crowd.

bulldawg28
12-11-2022, 12:28 PM

Not true.

TorpedoIPA
12-11-2022, 12:34 PM
It was a terrible strategy. But it's real simple. The answer is somewhere in between. Backups need game reps. Even garbage time reps gets them on the field in front of a crowd.

Sawyer Robertson will get his chance in the spring to prove he is the man. My theory is that Rogers had some issues to work out and Leach felt he needed to be in there for whatever length of time he was.

I've watched Leach coach since 2000 at Texas Tech. After Kliff Kingsbury started 3 years, BJ Symmons, a senior appeared after sitting on the bench 3 years. The next year, walk-on senior Sonny Cumbie got the job.

At Washington State, he got Gabe Gabrud to transfer in but unknown Anthony Gordon won the job.

So I am not so sure Rogers will start next year. If he does, he'll have to earn the role.

I am more worried about left tackle and hope Percy Lewis evolves like we hope.

Leroy Jenkins
12-11-2022, 12:35 PM
So is Zavion taking his name out of the portal? I was told by someone on Twitter last night that he may or may not transfer now. Anybody else heard this?

I don't know this for sure, but.... the handlers need to talk to the coaches before they get in someone's ear. Guys are jumping thinking they have a place to land when they really don't.

As long as there is no downside to jumping in and out of the portal we are going to see people try and leverage this free-agency to find out what the market is really like.