PDA

View Full Version : Somebody please tell me why I am wrong about this.

starkvegasdawg
12-07-2022, 11:29 PM
The divide in college football between the haves and have nots is about to become uncrossable. The elites no longer have to put any effort into recruiting. With NIL and the portal they can cherry-pick a few five stars for signing day and then sit back and observe the players the other teams scouted, recruited, signed, and put in a lot of money and effort training. They get to see which ones can hack it at the D1 level and then come in and offer more money than the other school can possibly match and steal them away. Now the small school is short their best players and out all the time, money, and effort on developing them. After a few years of this the fans of the small school are going to give up when they realize their school has no chance of ever competing for anything meaningful. They'll find other things to spend their time and money on.

parabrave
12-07-2022, 11:33 PM
Thats about the gist of it. They will have to address the Portal in a few years when viewership goes to crap and TV eventually says we ain't paying you the big bucks anymore.

tcdog70
12-08-2022, 09:41 AM
for MSU--I think this portal deal will be an advantage. It will be a negative if you make it a negative. Look at the Guys we have already signed in the Portal-they have been really good. quit whining and make it a positive

Dawgology
12-08-2022, 09:53 AM
Eventually they will have to install a NIL cap for teams.

WinningIsRelentless
12-08-2022, 09:55 AM
Simple fix is this. You can only transfer one time no matter the reason and lower the scholarship/walk-ons to 70.

DownwardDawg
12-08-2022, 09:58 AM
for MSU--I think this portal deal will be an advantage. It will be a negative if you make it a negative. Look at the Guys we have already signed in the Portal-they have been really good. quit whining and make it a positive

You can't just make it a positive because you want it to be so. He's right. Schools like State won't be able to keep up. I'm afraid if the cap and transfer rule doesn't come pretty soon we will have an absolute terrible football program.
There has to be an NIL cap, a transfer limit to once, and a roster number limit. That's the only way to have parity.

Lord McBuckethead
12-08-2022, 10:03 AM
Maybe they can limit schools to only 2 transfers per year, regardless of situation.

mo7888
12-08-2022, 10:09 AM
The divide in college football between the haves and have nots is about to become uncrossable. The elites no longer have to put any effort into recruiting. With NIL and the portal they can cherry-pick a few five stars for signing day and then sit back and observe the players the other teams scouted, recruited, signed, and put in a lot of money and effort training. They get to see which ones can hack it at the D1 level and then come in and offer more money than the other school can possibly match and steal them away. Now the small school is short their best players and out all the time, money, and effort on developing them. After a few years of this the fans of the small school are going to give up when they realize their school has no chance of ever competing for anything meaningful. They'll find other things to spend their time and money on.

Elites have always been able to cherrypick those top guys, they may not have to work at it as hard but there's no difference in the outcome. The real difference here is teams like us get do a little bit of cherrypicking of our own in the 2nd 'draft', if you will. That's a net advantage for us. It doesn't put us with the elites but it does close the gap just a bit.

confucius say
12-08-2022, 11:41 AM
Simple fix is this. You can only transfer one time no matter the reason and lower the scholarship/walk-ons to 70.

Ding ding ding. Tighten scholly restrictions to 70 and 20 per year and this corrects itself largely.

SteelCurtain74
12-08-2022, 05:48 PM
A simple solution to some of this would be to reinstate the rule that if you transfer within conference, you have to sit a year unless you're a grad transfer. If you transfer out of conference, you're good to go the next year.

It will not stop this flood of portal entries but it may stop some of these schools, err I mean "agents", from poaching other conference schools for their top talent

Ezsoil
12-08-2022, 06:10 PM
Another part of the NIL will be the fact that the people who are putting up money will not tolerate missing games or poor performance...each year will be a review...I can see contracts coming very soon....and those that are not accustomed to being held accountable will find the harsh realities of being an adult rather than a coddled athlete.

Things will settle down as people learn how to navigate this new landscape.....things are not necessarily worse they are different....how long ago were the Blue Bloods able to sign 130 players without an ability to transfer? I'd say things are more equal now.....but regardless of what the system is, those who figure out a way to manage it will succeed.

ScooterDog
12-08-2022, 06:57 PM
Lot of good recommendations here. I don't know that much about scollies, but I would like to see them cancel his scholly upon learning about his portal entry. Leave the dorm, cancel free meals, no access to weight rooms, etc. Leave the MSU athletic arena, etc.

Goldendawg
12-08-2022, 07:03 PM
Lot of good recommendations here. I don't know that much about scollies, but I would like to see them cancel his scholly upon learning about his portal entry. Leave the dorm, cancel free meals, no access to weight rooms, etc. Leave the MSU athletic arena, etc.

Many of these guys are by far not worried about a scholarship and that is now out in the open. It's best NIL deal, most playing time now, and I am going to the league in three years, (much of this being whispered in their ears by those who want a cut of the action). IRS man is also coming.

Goldendawg
12-08-2022, 07:05 PM

Sorry, double post.

99jc
12-08-2022, 07:11 PM
i must be the only one who loves the chaos. the portal is an equalizer if you use it. anything that makes Nick Saban sick to his stomach gives me joy. it will be so interesting to see what transpires after each season.

Bothrops
12-08-2022, 07:39 PM
College education has completed disappeared from the equation now lol

RocketDawg
12-08-2022, 08:13 PM
Thats about the gist of it. They will have to address the Portal in a few years when viewership goes to crap and TV eventually says we ain't paying you the big bucks anymore.

One way to solve things is reinstate the one-year sit-out requirement.

I thought at first that the NIL was to allow players to charge for autographs and such. Suddenly, probably because of my misunderstanding, it's turned into paying huge salaries to star players and essentially making all players free agents, free to transfer for a better deal. Which, to my mind, is ridiculous. Are players even required to go to class any longer?

tcdog70
12-09-2022, 10:28 AM
You can't just make it a positive because you want it to be so. He's right. Schools like State won't be able to keep up. I'm afraid if the cap and transfer rule doesn't come pretty soon we will have an absolute terrible football program.
There has to be an NIL cap, a transfer limit to once, and a roster number limit. That's the only way to have parity.

for every player we lose there are 50 as good or better to take his place---Green-#64-Robinson-Mosley-Mathews- Polk all portal Guys--pretty damn skippy.