PDA

View Full Version : Crimedog to Cooperstown

parabrave
12-04-2022, 10:05 PM
Elected by the Contemporary Committee, whatever the hell that is. But who cares he is in.

Coach34
12-04-2022, 10:12 PM
I'm not a Braves fan but good grief- how is Dale Murphy not in? Ridiculous

Todd4State
12-04-2022, 10:15 PM
Wonderful news!

Goldendawg
12-04-2022, 10:31 PM
I thought you were talking about the career Asst, FB Coach from OM and AU.** Now remember, Fred McGriff.

Cooterpoot
12-04-2022, 11:54 PM
Cooperstown sucks! Self-righteous bastards won't put the best players in.

EdwardDrayton
12-04-2022, 11:59 PM
Love it. Was always one of my Brave favorites.

Will also never forget the day he was on the way to the Braves having been acquired from the Padres. That was the day the Braves press box caught on fire.

EdwardDrayton
12-05-2022, 12:03 AM

Preach

Johnson85
12-05-2022, 09:17 AM
Cooperstown sucks! Self-righteous bastards won't put the best players in.

Really is crazy that they turn the voting over to a bunch of self important nobodies that get their rocks off on having control over players that actually did things with their career.

William Tecumsah Sherman
12-05-2022, 09:24 AM
Use to love mimicking McGriffs swing with the over-head wrap around finish

BrunswickDawg
12-05-2022, 09:46 PM
Really is crazy that they turn the voting over to a bunch of self important nobodies that get their rocks off on having control over players that actually did things with their career.

You do realize that this selection committee was mostly HOF players, coaches, and front office people. Only 2 sport writers were involved.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2022/12/03/hall-fame-veterans-committee-voting-contemporary-baseball-ballot/10819344002/

parabrave
12-05-2022, 11:10 PM
You do realize that this selection committee was mostly HOF players, coaches, and front office people. Only 2 sport writers were involved.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2022/12/03/hall-fame-veterans-committee-voting-contemporary-baseball-ballot/10819344002/

Including Greg Maddux.

Todd4State
12-06-2022, 03:05 AM
McGriff getting in is good news for Will Clark IMO.

Clark has a higher WAR and similar or better career accomplishments over a career that lasted four fewer seasons.

I really think we're going to see Clark get some support in the coming years.

Johnson85
12-06-2022, 09:41 AM

You realize that's the veterans committee (or era committee now or whatever they're called)? Not positive, but I think they can only vote on players that have been passed over by BBWAA for 15 years.

msstate7
12-06-2022, 09:43 AM
I couldn't care less about the HOF until they put Andruw Jones in it

shoeless joe
12-06-2022, 11:15 AM
Well deserved and I’m happy he’s in. He’s basically the exact opposite of a bonds or sosa and still put up elite of elite numbers.

Watching the highlights of his jays/padres/Braves days makes me miss those days of the MLB. Tough hard nose fun to watch baseball.

On a slight topic change: A lot of great black American baseball players back then as well. Just on the 93 Braves you had mcgriff, gant, justice, Pendleton, hunter, freeman, sanders, Nixon. I might have a hard time naming that many black American players in the whole league today.

msu15
12-06-2022, 02:12 PM

Not a hall of famer

BrunswickDawg
12-06-2022, 02:18 PM
You realize that's the veterans committee (or era committee now or whatever they're called)? Not positive, but I think they can only vote on players that have been passed over by BBWAA for 15 years.

Right, which is how McGriff was considered. This was not the annual vote of the BBWAA, who ARE a bunch of hacks with agendas to grind.

BrunswickDawg
12-06-2022, 02:24 PM

Jones is a conundrum. I loved him. My Dad couldn't stand him. I think he got a bad rap because he made playing CF look SO easy that he looked lazy. That sounds weird but its the best way I could describe it.
But, from a stat view, he is similar to Murph, but also similar to Duke Snider and Gil Hodges. Which is one way of saying that the only way a Jones would be considered seriously would have been if he played his whole career in NY.

msstate7
12-06-2022, 02:26 PM
Not a hall of famer

Best defensive cf of my lifetime.

67.0 fWAR
62.7 bWAR

msstate7
12-06-2022, 02:27 PM
Jones is a conundrum. I loved him. My Dad couldn't stand him. I think he got a bad rap because he made playing CF look SO easy that he looked lazy. That sounds weird but its the best way I could describe it.
But, from a stat view, he is similar to Murph, but also similar to Duke Snider and Gil Hodges. Which is one way of saying that the only way a Jones would be considered seriously would have been if he played his whole career in NY.

My absolute favorite brave of all time. He made watching defense fun

Johnson85
12-06-2022, 04:20 PM
Right, which is how McGriff was considered. This was not the annual vote of the BBWAA, who ARE a bunch of hacks with agendas to grind.

That's my point. Unless I misunderstand the voting process (which is certainly a decent possibility), he has to get rejected for by the hacks for years before the people with subject matter expertise can consider him. It seems crazy to have the primary voting done by hacks and then have the veterans committee "save" people that got screwed by the hacks. And how many undeserving people do the hacks put in? There's no fix for that (although maybe that's not really a problem).

BrunswickDawg
12-06-2022, 04:30 PM
That's my point. Unless I misunderstand the voting process (which is certainly a decent possibility), he has to get rejected for by the hacks for years before the people with subject matter expertise can consider him. It seems crazy to have the primary voting done by hacks and then have the veterans committee "save" people that got screwed by the hacks. And how many undeserving people do the hacks put in? There's no fix for that (although maybe that's not really a problem).

Gotcha. And, yes the hacks are a problem. There are enough living HOF members who are pretty in-tune with the game - even if they are writers and broadcasters - let members vote on all of it. Get the writers out of it.

RocketDawg
12-06-2022, 05:00 PM

Dale should have been in years ago, and yet he was passed over again this time. He was a really good player and even nicer guy that did a lot for MLB.

Who is Crimedog? Palmiero?

msstate7
12-06-2022, 05:07 PM
Dale should have been in years ago, and yet he was passed over again this time. He was a really good player and even nicer guy that did a lot for MLB.

Who is Crimedog? Palmiero?

Fred McGriff