PDA

View Full Version : Chaos this year would be meh in 2024

CaptainObvious
12-03-2022, 04:18 PM
If this season was 12 team playoffs, Utah & USC would be in the playoffs, Kansas State & TCU would be in the playoffs so far.

So if Purdue were to beat Michigan and LSU were to beat Georgia, and it was a 12 team playoff, those 4 would be in also. Is that what we really want to solve our issues. Possible multiple rematches.

If this were 2024, the CFP would look like this as of this moment

Georgia
Michigan
Ohio State
TCU
USC
Alabama
Tennessee
Utah
Kansas State
Penn State
Clemson
The winner of Tulane & UCF

Washington at 10-2 would be left out

If we get more chaos this afternoon with Purdue and LSU winning, Penn State would be out. Clemson would also knock either Bama or Tenn out with a win in their Championship game.

I hope 2024 has the same drama as this year. I wanna see who in the 6-8 get left out because of conference upsets!

Chaos is fun!

Quaoarsking
12-03-2022, 04:21 PM
That's so much better than the garbage 4-team model and keeps way more fans engaged throughout the season. Hopefully it will expand to 24 to match the FCS system.

Take the power of out the hands of the selection committee and give it to the players on field.

Catfish
12-03-2022, 04:22 PM
That's so much better than the garbage 4-team model and keeps way more fans engaged throughout the season. Hopefully it will expand to 24 to match the FCS system.

Take the power of out the hands of the selection committee and give it to the players on field.

Bingo!!

Tater
12-03-2022, 05:37 PM
Having a path for everyone to earn their way in is what I want.

BeardoMSU
12-03-2022, 05:52 PM
Chaos is fun!

Ya know what's more fun?

STATE having a legit shot at the playoffs every few years.

Top 12 is way more reachable than top 4 for schools like us.

R2Dawg
12-03-2022, 06:24 PM

Agree with this. I don't understand people who want to stay with 2 or 4 teams. Give everyone else a chance.

The bubble will always be there just like other sports, it just moves down.

Liverpooldawg
12-03-2022, 06:25 PM
Nah, it will just move the controversy down the bracket a bit, as ever expansion always does.

Catfish
12-03-2022, 06:35 PM
Nah, it will just move the controversy down the bracket a bit, as ever expansion always does.

That's true, but I'd rather have controversy over 12 teams than 4.

99jc
12-03-2022, 06:37 PM

this is fact...i also don't like 4 top team byes but it's better than a 4-team selection committee

Quaoarsking
12-03-2022, 06:44 PM

Whatever team is left out as #13 or #25 won't have nearly the complaint that #5 does currently.

Kinda like nobody outside of those particular fanbases really feels bad for basketball teams that don't get selected.

Quaoarsking
12-03-2022, 06:44 PM
I also would strongly prefer that the selection committee be abolished and the selection made objectively.

Catfish
12-03-2022, 06:49 PM
I also would strongly prefer that the selection committee be abolished and the selection made objectively.

I think that's coming.

HoopsDawg
12-03-2022, 06:53 PM
the problem that needs to be solved is conference championship games. they need to be banished, but too much money for the conferences.

CaptainObvious
12-03-2022, 06:59 PM
the problem that needs to be solved is conference championship games. they need to be banished, but too much money for the conferences.

This was more my point. If they are going to use Conference Championship Games to determine, the 6 Guarantees, then select the At Large from the Conference Runners Up, what the hell. Georgia and Michigan look to be head and shoulders above the rest in what?s available now. With a 12 team playoff, having to win 3 playoff games may be more of a challenge to them.

I?m all for the expansion. I just want chaos every year!!!

Oh yeah. Who decides the seeding when a couple of 10-3 or even 9-4 teams win the Big 10 and SEC? With their season schedule, you don?t seed them 11 & 12.

TUSK
12-03-2022, 08:17 PM
I'm on board with this (12 team playoff)...

I can see it now... 8-4 Bammer slips in at the 11 seed....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT53fuhBC47IApEy75A04RnG2lr0lIg1 lFsMw&usqp=CAU

HoopsDawg
12-03-2022, 08:54 PM
I'm on board with this (12 team playoff)...

I can see it now... 8-4 Bammer slips in at the 11 seed....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT53fuhBC47IApEy75A04RnG2lr0lIg1 lFsMw&usqp=CAU

yeah, don't worry. Bama will never miss a 12 team playoff. Unless you guys hire Mike Shula again.

chef dixon
12-03-2022, 09:39 PM
The chaos will just move to the playoff. I'll be honest the actual playoff games now suck ass unless you are a fan of one of the dominant teams. It's certainly not must watch TV

CaptainObvious
12-03-2022, 10:01 PM
Yep. The conference championship games have been somewhat fun to watch even with miss-matched records. We are getting a preview of the 5-12, 6-11, 7-10, and 8-9 games with these Championship games today. Proves in a few cases that the lower seed can pull the upset like yesterday and today.

If this is how the 12 team CFP first round is going to look, that is some fun football.

I think we will lose about 6 Bowl games at the bottom of the pecking order. But most of the nice payout bowls will survive. Since those 1st 4 games will be home games for higher seeds, the quarters will use 4 Bowl games and the semis will use 2 Bowls. So the Top 6 should be strong payout games for the CFP.

Rose, Fiesta, Cotton, Sugar, Peach and Orange will always be CFP games now.

So the Citrus, Tampa, Gator, Houston, Nashville, Charlotte, Las Vegas, San Diego, Sun and Liberty Bowls will likely Be decent payouts and may be able to re-negotiate their conference alignments. Maybe the Los Angeles, Birmingham, Boca Raton, New-Orleans and Tucson Bowls can move into Tier 3 higher payout group. I suspect Mobile, Hawaii, Bahamas, Gasparilla, Detroit, Idaho, Shreveport and Yankee Stadium may get out of the Bowl Business.

WeWonItAll(Most)
12-03-2022, 10:04 PM

Controversy about whether USC and TCU should be punished over losing conference championship games and give up their spots to teams who didn't have to play one is totally different than arguing over which 9-3 team should be the 12 seed

TUSK
12-03-2022, 11:25 PM
yeah, don't worry. Bama will never miss a 12 team playoff. Unless you guys hire Mike Shula again.

Nah, It'd take a "Dubose/Price" thye hire to eff in up.

Quaoarsking
12-04-2022, 12:52 AM
They can replace the conference championship games with just having the regular season expand to 13 games. That way, each P5 conference can go to 9 conference games without giving up having 4 non-confs.

msu15
12-04-2022, 04:37 AM
Nah, It'd take a "Dubose/Price" thye hire to eff in up.

Dabo's coming