PDA

View Full Version : So I'm trying to think objectively....

maroonmania
11-27-2013, 11:20 PM
about which performances we've had in SEC games this year that would be good enough to get a win tomorrow night? When I put it in that context I'm thinking probably the AL game and possibly the TA&M game. Not sure we've had any others. Believe it will definitely take one of our best efforts of the year for the full 4 quarters to get the win. Thoughts?

blacklistedbully
11-28-2013, 12:34 AM
I think you might be over-valuing OM's performances. You're also leaving out Auburn & SCar. Hell, even our effort versus LSU woudl be more than enough, as if we played like we did the first 3 quarters, we'll have OM in the bag. No 4th Q meltdown.

TXDawg
11-28-2013, 12:34 AM
LSU, if we sustain it for a full 4 qtrs.

Quaoarsking
11-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Auburn?

Biguglyjoe
11-28-2013, 12:44 AM
The outlier here is QB play. That great unknown gives me pause when comparing our past efforts this season. Williams wasn't a huge part of any of them. Can he sustain drives so our defense doesn't wear out late in the 3rd and 4th quarters? Will our coaching staff be able to minimize situations that would highlight Williams inexperience as far as check downs and audibles are concerned? I don't know, and that's why I don't have a good feeling about this one.

messageboardsuperhero
11-28-2013, 12:52 AM
The outlier here is QB play. That great unknown gives me pause when comparing our past efforts this season. Williams wasn't a huge part of any of them. Can he sustain drives so our defense doesn't wear out late in the 3rd and 4th quarters? Will our coaching staff be able to minimize situations that would highlight Williams inexperience as far as check downs and audibles are concerned? I don't know, and that's why I don't have a good feeling about this one.

Damn, I'd feel so much better about this game if Dak was healthy. We can still win, but you just don't know what to expect with a true freshman.

Williams has looked solid though- I think he can get the job done.

maroonmania
11-28-2013, 08:21 AM
I think you might be over-valuing OM's performances. You're also leaving out Auburn & SCar. Hell, even our effort versus LSU woudl be more than enough, as if we played like we did the first 3 quarters, we'll have OM in the bag. No 4th Q meltdown.

Yes, should have included Auburn but I certainly don't want to see Bo Wallace throwing for 330 yards. SCar I wouldn't include because 5 turnovers won't beat any decent SEC team and LSU was a 3 quarter effort which won't cut it tomorrow night.

OurState
11-28-2013, 08:54 AM
LSU, if we sustain it for a full 4 qtrs.

I am not quite sure how them beating LSU and LSU beating us gives confidence.

The Bama game give confidence. Auburn shows we can play with them.

Against our common opponents they were +7 points and we were -2 (or -5 depending on how you count Ark).

It should be close on a neutral field but home field gives us an edge. Losing Dak hurts.

MarketingBully01
11-28-2013, 09:13 AM
Dak himself accounted for 4 of the 5 turnovers that game. You take that element out of the game and you sure as heck can include that performance.

MarketingBully01
11-28-2013, 09:16 AM
You take away Ole Miss's run game and make them beat you passing the ball you will win. Bucky's offense is predicated on the run. If they can't run the ball, they don't win.

gravedigger
11-28-2013, 09:35 AM
When I am being honest with myself about this game I only see one way we win.

That is to say that for whatever reason ole miss does not find success in the quick spread throws and we create 2 more turnovers than they do that we score on.

Fact is they are a successful team this year. We have only recently been playing with the required intensity to overcome mistakes.

Dak playing or not is a big factor. But with or without him, it's going to take a special effort from our team to take them out of their rhythm.

OurState
11-28-2013, 09:46 AM
When I am being honest with myself about this game I only see one way we win.

That is to say that for whatever reason ole miss does not find success in the quick spread throws and we create 2 more turnovers than they do that we score on.

Fact is they are a successful team this year. We have only recently been playing with the required intensity to overcome mistakes.

Dak playing or not is a big factor. But with or without him, it's going to take a special effort from our team to take them out of their rhythm.

Senior night. Home game. Egg bowl. Cowbells. Wickedly cold weather and maybe some wind can go a long way to creating the environment you think is required.

MarketingBully01
11-28-2013, 10:46 AM
They are a team that got to play six straight home games. This is their first road game since they played Auburn. Let that sink in. They are an okay team not great. They are young in very important positions. Players like Treadwell and Nkimdiche will be playing in their first Egg Bowl on the road with no idea how intense this game is and with no ties to Mississippi to understand the importance of it. I don't think they will come with their best effort. I think we will win this game going away. Coach stated this several times but the home team always has a distinct advantage in this game. I think we win this game by 10+. Mullen has a knack for doing well in these rivalry games. He is 3-1 and after tonight will be 4-1. Just too much riding on this game tonight for us to bring anything but our A game.

HunterDawg
11-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Auburn?

You hit on what worries me. Our 4th quarter meltdowns may very well be from running out of gas. The added adrenaline and a super effort in the first half could actually make this worse in the 4th. We have to keep the ball, run clock, keep our defense off the field and shorten the game. We have to punt and cover well and keep them backed up. Time of possession and 3rd down conversions could be the key stats tonight. If they run 80 plays we could be in trouble late.

oops. wrong quote.

HunterDawg
11-28-2013, 11:08 AM

You cite a 30 point loss to a team they beat as proof that we "have OM in the bag"?

We played Auburn better and Alabama better, but it is a stretch to say we played LSU better. A&M had us 51-27 in the 4th, too.

I like optimism, but this thread is a bit over the top in places. We had Dak and Russell in those games, too.

Not being negative, just realistic.