PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with State fans NOT showing in Oxford for the Egg bowl?

Maroonthirteen
11-28-2022, 12:16 PM
Because it is thanksgiving day? Or lack of interest? ( Because of records or chances of winning) or other?

2012 we had a good crowd. We filled our sections. 2014 I stayed home, ticket prices. So I can't speak on 2014 attendance. However 2016, 2018 and 2022 I went.

2016: poor showing. We weren't expected to win. However it was a Saturday game.

2018: poor showing. Everyone knew we would win but it was thanksgiving day.

2020 Covid

2022. Poor showing. Toss up game. Thanksgiving day.

SCarolina had a better showing than us in Oxford for 2018. Kentucky did too in 2022

I always enjoy going to this game. I hate the game is on thanksgiving but I make it work to be there. I don't get State fans that don't go to this game.

Pancho
11-28-2022, 12:21 PM
Avoid drunk or simply obnoxious individuals is the main issue.

MagicDawg
11-28-2022, 12:24 PM
I have no desire to set foot in Oxford, Mississippi again in my life if I can avoid it, unless I'm being paid to be there.

Johnson85
11-28-2022, 12:30 PM
Because it is thanksgiving day? Or lack of interest? ( Because of records or chances of winning) or other?

2012 we had a good crowd. We filled our sections. 2014 I stayed home, ticket prices. So I can't speak on 2014 attendance. However 2016, 2018 and 2022 I went.

2020 Covid

SCarolina had a better showing than us in Oxford for 2018. Kentucky did too in 2022

I always enjoy going to this game. I hate the game is on thanksgiving but I make it work to be there. I don't get State fans that don't go to this game.

Last time I went it was a shit show. Surprised there wasn't a brawl in the grove. Lots of harassment. Not really my issue for not making it but I can get why people wouldn't want to put up with that.

Maroonthirteen
11-28-2022, 12:34 PM
So right out the gate, scared is the answer.

I had OM fans congratulating me on the win. I had a couple of young guys say some obscene things my direction and at others in Maroon. Overall I saw State win and had a good time celebrating in the end.

A few mouthy kids aren't running me off.

DownwardDawg
11-28-2022, 12:36 PM
Other posters already answered, but same for me. Almost got into a brawl the only time I've been there. I was a much younger man and it had the chance of being bad. Especially for me!
LSU is the same. I'll never go there again. Went when JWS was our coach. Trash.
Those are the only places I've had issues at. Watching on tv, nothing has changed.

DownwardDawg
11-28-2022, 12:37 PM

I had OM fans congratulating me on the win. I had a couple of young guys say some obscene things my direction and at others in Maroon. Overall I saw State win and had a good time celebrating in the end.

Scared......LMAO. Terrible reply. More like intelligent. Not worth getting shot thrown on you for no reason.

MagicDawg
11-28-2022, 12:39 PM
"Scared" is not my issue. "Disgust" comes closer.

DownwardDawg
11-28-2022, 12:39 PM

You asked a question. People answered, and you came back being very condescending.

BrunswickDawg
11-28-2022, 12:40 PM

If you have had a bad experience in Oxford - and I guarantee a number of us have - you don't want to step foot in that town again. It's not about being scared, it's just not fun and not worth it. It's the only visiting school I've ever had an issue at. Being a bunch of loud mouth a-holes is one thing. Flinging whiskey bottles at opposing fans and players is another.

Tater
11-28-2022, 12:43 PM
I saw us win once there and I have no desire to ever go back. High school stadium and facility upkeep. Generally on Thanksgiving. Generally cold or rainy. No thanks.

R2Dawg
11-28-2022, 12:47 PM

Good for you, but ain't nobody scared. From TV, it sounded like a decent crowd. OM didn't fill up their stadium either so preach to them.

Here are some reasons if you want some but based on your response looks like you just wanted to insult anyone that didn't go.

1. expectations with Leach in Oxford were not good. I went and watched us lose before and it ain't fun, add in Oxford and who wants that misery. If many of the fanbase thought Leach would run the ball like he did, would have been more but he only did it twice all year.

2. Weather was not good.

3. Hotels and traveling arrangements. If you live close, good for you but many don't and it is an issue.

4. Costs - tickets, gas, hotel, food, etc. It is an expensive weekend.

5.Most importantly, not everyone in families wants to go or can go. Thanksgiving is about family and they need to be together if possible. Sports priority is down the line. Before you preach to me about it, I was in Starkville in 2017 for egg with my dad who was battling cancer on his last Thanksgiving. We didn't know how series it was at the time. Wish we'd stayed at home after the fact.

Folks need to quit preaching to others about going to games and giving to NIL. None of us knows what others deal with and sports is not a #1 priority in life.

GoDawgz
11-28-2022, 12:47 PM
Been there done that once.... no desire to ever go back.
The Grove is extremely overrated, crowded, full of drunks and a mud pit that smells like crap when it rains.
Im good.

R2Dawg
11-28-2022, 12:48 PM
I saw us win once there and I have no desire to ever go back. High school stadium and facility upkeep. Generally on Thanksgiving. Generally cold or rainy. No thanks.

I haven't been to Oxford since their stadium upgrades but before the upgrades it was a glorified HS stadium. You can't tell from TV but it ain't what it appears.

R2Dawg
11-28-2022, 12:49 PM
If you have had a bad experience in Oxford - and I guarantee a number of us have - you don't want to step foot in that town again. It's not about being scared, it's just not fun and not worth it. It's the only visiting school I've ever had an issue at. Being a bunch of loud mouth a-holes is one thing. Flinging whiskey bottles at opposing fans and players is another.

Speaking of which where is the media on OM throwing stuff on the field? OM was high and mighty on UT for throwing golf balls a few years ago.

Maroonthirteen
11-28-2022, 12:54 PM
R2.... if Thanksgiving is the answer. I can respect that and don't blame anyone if that's Their reason. It happens to work for me to go but it's a pain. However the game needs to be moved off a national holiday. For sure.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2022, 12:55 PM
Other posters already answered, but same for me. Almost got into a brawl the only time I've been there. I was a much younger man and it had the chance of being bad. Especially for me!
LSU is the same. I'll never go there again. Went when JWS was our coach. Trash.
Those are the only places I've had issues at. Watching on tv, nothing has changed.

Ditto on both om and lsu and same type experience. Been to both won't go back. I have some accounts I see in Oxford and I get enough of that place on those visits.

R2Dawg
11-28-2022, 12:59 PM
R2.... if Thanksgiving is the answer. I can respect that and don't blame anyone if that's Their reason. It happens to work for me to go but it's a pain. However the game needs to be moved off a national holiday. For sure.

It is definitely part of it. Had this debate with my kids this week. Getting national exposure all by yourself is pretty good. Competing with Ohio St-Michigan, Iron Bowl, etc. on Sat is tough. I think over the years the MSU brand and OM too has grown because of the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving.

I think we should swap back and forth with Thursday and Friday some as a middle ground.

SaintDawg
11-28-2022, 01:13 PM
Price, price, price + location, location, location = no, no, no

thedawg
11-28-2022, 01:16 PM
I used to go when I was younger.. I also used to like to fight .. I have gotten older and I have zero desire to go to a place where I may lose it and become social media famous. Its not worth it and I dont trust myself if pushed hard enough.. Me showing self control is me not putting myself in a situation where I may lose my self control.

Vandownbytheriver
11-28-2022, 01:26 PM
I've been to several games in Oxford as a State fan and just an observer. Having kids now, no way I'm taking them there. Even without the rivalry, I have no desire to take my kids around a bunch of entitled drunks There's a fight in the student section every week. There's drunks passed out in the grove. They think being a good fan is being the worst possible version of themselves to opposing fans. Only two times I've ever almost come to blows in a stadium was at VH. And neither time was the Egg Bowl. Add in it's a night game and people have been drinking all day long, no chance

BrunswickDawg
11-28-2022, 01:26 PM
It is definitely part of it. Had this debate with my kids this week. Getting national exposure all by yourself is pretty good. Competing with Ohio St-Michigan, Iron Bowl, etc. on Sat is tough. I think over the years the MSU brand and OM too has grown because of the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving.

I think we should swap back and forth with Thursday and Friday some as a middle ground.

It has definitely helped national exposure being on Thanksgiving. I get a lot of comments here because we are the only game. Most of my friends who aren't State fans always watch it because 1) It's the only game; and 2) it is usually a very entertaining game.
I know it is hard on travel/family plans - I've done the leave family lunch in Atlanta at 12:30 ET to make the 6:00 CT a few times in addition to planning the game as a family trip for the holiday. I think it would be good to alternate 2 years on Thursday, 2 years on Friday. But, if ESPN likes it on Thursday that means it is drawing enough eyeballs that they want us in that slot - and that is a huge thing for us.

ETA: I also grew up going to the Ga/GT Thanksgiving JV game when it was in Atlanta. My uncle had played at GT, and it became a family tradition to go when he was on the team. They did away with the game after '93 -but I went an number of years in the 70s and 80s.

MagicDawg
11-28-2022, 01:32 PM
... a bunch of entitled drunks [who] think being a good fan is being the worst possible version of themselves to opposing fans.

This.

Saltydog
11-28-2022, 01:35 PM
Avoiding drunken fans that want to fight when they lose is my excuse. Also, Thanksgiving makes it tough to coordinate with the family.

I last went in 98 and I swore I'd never go over there again for the Egg Bowl.

We were pelleted with whiskey bottles by the student section as we departed.

Offshore Dawg
11-28-2022, 01:38 PM
"Scared" is not my issue. "Disgust" comes closer.

This ^^^^ and I will not go to that sewer lagoon.

SilentSteel16
11-28-2022, 03:05 PM
I am pretty sure that most people have the same reasoning. I love State hell I have about 12 degrees from there in my immediate family alone. I have a brother in law that played football for State and a father that played baseball for State. With that being said I generally make about 2 home games a year in football and about 7 games a year in baseball. I go to the games with my young kids for the atmosphere and we have a good time.

With that being said I don’t go to away games, not out of fear or anything like that but because I value my time at home with my kids due to work schedule. Those of you trying to talk down to fans about season tickets or NIL need a life. If those now paid athletes are the reason why you are happy or sad on saturdays then you need to change a few things.

I buy tickets at regular price I am not a season ticket holder and I DO NOT contribute to NIL and that will never change. If they want to raise ticket prices to give to NIL that is one thing but I will never give to a fund to give to a student that is already getting a free education. Call me not true maroon or whatever but I am already contributing too much of my hard earned money to taxes and others that don’t want to work to give more money to a bunch of kids that think they deserve it because they play a sport in college.

Just my two cents, maybe you can contribute that to NIL so we can get the next pre Madonna athlete that won’t graduate with a degree and may or may not be a contributing member of society.

Tripp McNeely
11-28-2022, 03:06 PM
This ^^^^ and I will not go to that sewer lagoon.

Yeah, "scared" is a weird take. Sounds like someone was looking for an answer that they wanted to rant about, didn't get it, but still tried to get their take in

RocketDawg
11-28-2022, 03:38 PM

2020 Covid

State fans sounded really loud on the broadcast.

TALL DAWG
11-28-2022, 03:40 PM
We knew the weather would turn wet in 2nd half and we did not want to get hit by a chair.

RocketDawg
11-28-2022, 03:41 PM
I am pretty sure that most people have the same reasoning. I love State hell I have about 12 degrees from there in my immediate family alone. I have a brother in law that played football for State and a father that played baseball for State. With that being said I generally make about 2 home games a year in football and about 7 games a year in baseball. I go to the games with my young kids for the atmosphere and we have a good time.

With that being said I don’t go to away games, not out of fear or anything like that but because I value my time at home with my kids due to work schedule. Those of you trying to talk down to fans about season tickets or NIL need a life. If those now paid athletes are the reason why you are happy or sad on saturdays then you need to change a few things.

I buy tickets at regular price I am not a season ticket holder and I DO NOT contribute to NIL and that will never change. If they want to raise ticket prices to give to NIL that is one thing but I will never give to a fund to give to a student that is already getting a free education. Call me not true maroon or whatever but I am already contributing too much of my hard earned money to taxes and others that don’t want to work to give more money to a bunch of kids that think they deserve it because they play a sport in college.

Just my two cents, maybe you can contribute that to NIL so we can get the next pre Madonna athlete that won’t graduate with a degree and may or may not be a contributing member of society.

Agree.

Wink&aPrayer
11-28-2022, 03:43 PM
One time, in 1994 and that was quite enough. There was a funny part, drunk student go on a small hill on campus and hollered...."Riicoooolllllaaaaaaaaaaaa"

CaptainObvious
11-28-2022, 03:44 PM
Does the expression <that?s a stench that tide will not wash off>.

Coach34
11-28-2022, 03:47 PM
Havent been back there since 2002 and likely never will again. Getting too old to fight

Bubb Rubb
11-28-2022, 03:53 PM
We had a decent crowd there. We didn't sell all of our tickets, but there were enough folks there to make noise and take over the stadium when the game was over.

Liverpooldawg
11-28-2022, 04:09 PM
I don't care to pay money to be treated the way I was the last time I went to a MSU football game there. I will never go there again.

drummerdawg
11-28-2022, 04:21 PM
Weather and Thanksgiving are certainly factors, but I think it's more that nobody wants to go up there and watch us get embarrassed by them. When we clearly have a better team, we show up well. I don't think most of our fans thought we would win last Thursday and they decided to stay home with family. Just look at this board for example. I can't count the times posters have commented about being "done" with Leach or the football program all while praising Kiffin and OM this season. The biggest difference between State and other SEC football fans is that other teams love college football and are absolutely crazy about their football teams. State fans like football but we're not crazy obsessed with it. Kinda the opposite can be said about baseball. We are in baseball what other fans are in football. Whether it's attendance or NIL money, State fans just don't care as much about football.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2022, 04:25 PM

Saw a girl get taken out on a stretcher from getting hit in the head with a thrown whiskey bottle.

The last time we went my wife had a coke poured on her while we were under the bleachers. We no longer go to Oxford.

Schultzy
11-28-2022, 04:53 PM
What that girl in SEC shorts said…”we’re a quarterback away from trying that.”

SailingDawg
11-28-2022, 05:14 PM

Same. Not enough room for the number of fans seated in the end zone. An om professor kept running down the aisle every time they did something. PD told him to stay in his seat. Bourbon bottles thrown on the field. Winning was fun but the atmosphere sucks.

DeputyDawg94
11-28-2022, 05:15 PM
1. I had 0 expectations that CML would call enough run plays to win.

2. I don?t mind drinking but I absolutely hate obnoxious loud mouth drunks and am prone to have bad experiences around them.

3. Not scared

Glad I was wrong about 1!

William Tecumsah Sherman
11-28-2022, 05:28 PM
I made a vow after the 2000 egg bowl to never go back. And I will keep that vow.

yjnkdawg
11-28-2022, 05:34 PM
I have been to Swayze Field but don't have any desire I know of at the moment to go to Vaught-Hemingway.

SilentSteel16
11-28-2022, 05:40 PM
Swazye is a good road game as long as you are in the foul ball area, wouldn’t be caught dead in the outfield area. Baton Rouge is another story. Any sport is a no go in BR.

Goldendawg
11-28-2022, 06:04 PM
The last time I went I was pulled out of line by their "security" in bitter cold, forced to remove about 4 layers of outer wear, and patted down because he was sure I had a cowbell. I complained to no avail. Confession: I have a BS from State , 1977 out of love, OM 2010, out of economic necessity and geography (Commuted one summer to Oxford and 2 years Tupelo Campus). Didn't lose anything at Oxford, but did meet some nice people as a returning adult student. Don't plan on ever going back to Oxford.

RocketDawg
11-28-2022, 06:26 PM
I've been to two games there. Both times almost froze and we lost both games. Never had any problems with their fans, but the seats you get are so bad it's hard to tell what's going on in the game. The last trip there was when Eli was playing.

EdwardDrayton
11-28-2022, 06:29 PM
I have no desire to set foot in Oxford, Mississippi again in my life if I can avoid it, unless I'm being paid to be there.

Gospel truth. And dey aint enough money no how.

Dawgology
11-28-2022, 06:30 PM
I have been to multiple games at LSU. I’ve been to games at Bama, Auburn, USM (for some reason), and Ole Miss. The ONLY place where I was treated badly, treated like crap going through security, screamed at by opposing fans, had food at drinks thrown at our section, and bowed up on by fans on the way out was Ole Miss. That place, their fan base, players and coaching staff have major issues. Their fans (specifically) are toxic as it gets.

Offshore Dawg
11-28-2022, 07:22 PM
Saw a girl get taken out on a stretcher from getting hit in the head with a thrown whiskey bottle.

The last time we went my wife had a coke poured on her while we were under the bleachers. We no longer go to Oxford.

Rebels are A-holes, place is a shit hole.

Jack Lambert
11-28-2022, 07:24 PM
I am never going back to that campus. I am not going to give them a damn dime if I can help it.

Maroonthirteen
11-28-2022, 07:26 PM
The biggest difference between State and other SEC football fans is that other teams love college football and are absolutely crazy about their football teams. State fans like football . We are in baseball what other fans are in football. Whether it's attendance or NIL money, State fans just don't care as much about football.

Nailed it.

Todd4State
11-28-2022, 09:18 PM
Weather and Thanksgiving are certainly factors, but I think it's more that nobody wants to go up there and watch us get embarrassed by them. When we clearly have a better team, we show up well. I don't think most of our fans thought we would win last Thursday and they decided to stay home with family. Just look at this board for example. I can't count the times posters have commented about being "done" with Leach or the football program all while praising Kiffin and OM this season. The biggest difference between State and other SEC football fans is that other teams love college football and are absolutely crazy about their football teams. State fans like football but we're not crazy obsessed with it. Kinda the opposite can be said about baseball. We are in baseball what other fans are in football. Whether it's attendance or NIL money, State fans just don't care as much about football.

The difference is we're "realistic" in football. Which means running down our team accomplishments while praising whatever is at Ole Miss.

Cowbell
11-28-2022, 09:33 PM
The only way I would go to another game in that booze pit were if we were highly ranked and I was going with a big group of people that I could enjoy the game with. The atmosphere is garbage. The amount of entitlement in that stadium makes me want to puke. And then you have to deal with all the drunks that know nothing about the sport.

PikeDawg15
11-28-2022, 10:16 PM
Nailed it.

And to think that we arent all in on football but have been around 7-5 or 8-4 in the sec west. What could happen if we went all in?

PikeDawg15
11-28-2022, 10:19 PM
The difference is we're "realistic" in football. Which means running down our team accomplishments while praising whatever is at Ole Miss.

This past week has made me hate ole miss even more.

Those people are the worst fans in the entire SEC

the main ones talking about being classy are the same ones that throw chairs and trash on the field

They are going to be majorly disappointed they paid 9 million per year for a coach that doesnt want to be there and hit his ceiling in year 2 with their greatest team in school history .

Kiffin with the greatest ole miss team and quarterback of all time, lost to Brian Harsin.

lastmajordog
11-28-2022, 11:09 PM
My last game there was Fitz doing sprints up and down the field and was sitting in an older fan section so it was good. The Entire DOG family would do well striving to be different. Classy and gracious win or lose. Be genuinely cordial to any visiting fans tailgating with or beside you. Finally just stay away from the frat boys, something about om frats are worse and more prone to provoke a fight than any other school I know.....including LSU or Bama. JMHO

Dawgtini
11-29-2022, 08:17 AM

+1 well stated.

Bothrops
11-29-2022, 10:57 AM
They don't go to our home basketball games and won't fill our own small football stadium. Why would they go to Oxford?

thf24
11-29-2022, 12:20 PM
Never setting foot in Oxford again after my two experiences there representing our university. People talk about how Alabama and LSU treat visiting fans, but the amount of absolute scum at OM is unmatched. It's just thinly veiled behind bow ties and pretension. And they don't even pretend to try to keep it under control.

Goldendawg
11-29-2022, 12:24 PM
I have been to multiple games at LSU. I’ve been to games at Bama, Auburn, USM (for some reason), and Ole Miss. The ONLY place where I was treated badly, treated like crap going through security, screamed at by opposing fans, had food at drinks thrown at our section, and bowed up on by fans on the way out was Ole Miss. That place, their fan base, players and coaching staff have major issues. Their fans (specifically) are toxic as it gets.

Been to LSU only one time decades ago. John Bond had the LSU fans gone before halftime. He beat them all 4 years at State. Hail John! Hail State!

Goldendawg
11-29-2022, 12:27 PM
They don't go to our home basketball games and won't fill our own small football stadium. Why would they go to Oxford?

Been to every home basketball game and football season tickets for 50 plus years. Respectively disagree. Refill the Hump! This team deserves it and are fun to watch.

Extendedcab
11-29-2022, 01:58 PM
Never setting foot in Oxford again after my two experiences there representing our university. People talk about how Alabama and LSU treat visiting fans, but the amount of absolute scum at OM is unmatched. It's just thinly veiled behind bow ties and pretension. And they don't even pretend to try to keep it under control.

I'm with you thf24, that is my experience as well! Never again will I go to Oxford!

viverlibre
11-29-2022, 02:03 PM
I've been to road games at Oxford and BR, didn't get treated bad at either.

Choctaw Dawg
11-29-2022, 02:27 PM
Seems like my story is opposite from most of yall. This trip was actually my first to Oxford. Besides a few of them being mouthy after the game they really weren't that bad. The Kiffin shit show last pissed a lot of them off.

I was called an incest baby by one of them, he was by himself and would not come and repeat himself to me and my buddies. Other than that they seemed pretty dejected.

LC Dawg
11-29-2022, 02:57 PM
When i was younger I had a few near incidents in Baton Rouge and Oxford but that probably had as much to do with our group of young dumbasses as the the other young dumbasses. I've been to both campuses along with A&M and Bama as I've gotten older and none have been bad experiences. The worst experience has been at Bama because every single one of their fans is a major **********. I actually enjoy pregame at LSU because they want you to party with them. They just don't want you in their stadium.
I'm at the point in my life that i don't enjoy watching my favorite team play while surrounded by the other team's fans. I'd rather sit in Davis Wade or on my couch.

Pancho
11-29-2022, 05:54 PM
couch and a 96" screen