PDA

View Full Version : Men's basketball looking ahead

NCMSTFAN
11-26-2022, 06:37 PM
We are currently 6-0 with good wins against power 5 schools, Marquette and Utah. We have another game coming up @Minnesota in a few weeks and later against a pretty good Drake team who is currently undefeated, other than those 2 games the remaining teams on our non conference schedule should be easy wins, even though anything can happen. We have a very good chance at going into SEC play undefeated.

I know some wish we played a few more tough games before conference play and I understand but I also like having a few easy games to help us find more of an offensive identity. Tolu Smith has been great for us but some of the other guys have been up and down. Jeffries, Davis, Reed and Moore have all shown flashes offensively, if we can get consistent play from 1 or 2 of those guys to go along with Tolu we are going to win alot of games. But we can't go on 3 and 4 minute droughts without scoring against teams like Bama, Tennesse, Auburn, UK etc.. they have too much offensive power, our defense can only do so much, we have to be able to score too.

Oh and PACK THE HUMP!! This team deserves it

RocketDawg
11-26-2022, 06:43 PM
Hopefully they spend some time this weekend before Monday's game shooting free throws. Making them would make a huge difference.

The defense is certainly scrappy and effective. Hope they keep that up and improve scoring a bit.

PGHBulldogBG
11-26-2022, 08:27 PM
Great chance to be 11-1 going into SEC play. I think we split @Minn and @Drake and win the home ones

NCMSTFAN
11-26-2022, 09:14 PM
Great chance to be 11-1 going into SEC play. I think we split @Minn and @Drake and win the home ones

The Drake game is at home. The Minnesota game is away. I actually see us going into conference play undefeated, but the Minn game will be a test at their place

trob115
11-26-2022, 09:26 PM
Drake will be tough! I think that's our biggest test this non conference schedule

NCMSTFAN
11-26-2022, 09:33 PM
Drake will be tough! I think that's our biggest test this non conference schedule

Bigger than Marquette or Utah? I disagree... Drake will definitely be tough but we are at home. They aren't better than Marquette. Not slighting them but Marquette has been our toughest test on the season

msugolf
11-26-2022, 10:00 PM
It?s not at home. A neutral site game in Lincoln, NE. They?ll have a lot of fans there

parabrave
11-26-2022, 11:29 PM
Need to get a reliable outside shooter.

Goldendawg
11-27-2022, 12:06 AM
My son, two friends, and I will be there Monday Night. Be there if you can. This team is fun to watch and need the crowds to start growing. Hail State!

trob115
11-27-2022, 09:58 AM
Yes, bigger than both of those you mentioned. Drake is picked to win their conference. And it's a neutral site game, that will be like a home game for Drake.

msstate7
11-27-2022, 11:10 AM
Marquette playing Baylor Tuesday night. Be sweet if they could pull that one out

trob115
11-27-2022, 11:35 AM
Would be huge for our RPI/NET if they did.

RocketDawg
11-27-2022, 03:41 PM
It?s not at home. A neutral site game in Lincoln, NE. They?ll have a lot of fans there

And it's televised on the B1G network. Might be hard for some MSU fans to watch.

NCMSTFAN
11-27-2022, 03:49 PM
Yes, bigger than both of those you mentioned. Drake is picked to win their conference. And it's a neutral site game, that will be like a home game for Drake.

Drake is not better than Marquette. Marquette beat Georgia Tech by 24 and barely lost to Purdue.. Drake definitely wouldn't do that. They are a good team but most of their games have been close and their schedule has been fairly easy. It won't be a gimme game but I expect to win

Dawgface
11-27-2022, 03:53 PM
Love the D and how hard the guys play. Hope their shooting improves otherwise there will be several losses. So far a major step in the right direction.

NCMSTFAN
11-27-2022, 04:08 PM
Love the D and how hard the guys play. Hope their shooting improves otherwise there will be several losses. So far a major step in the right direction.

Agree, scoring overall has to improve but our defense is amazing

LC Dawg
11-27-2022, 04:15 PM
I'd like to see McNair get a few more productive minutes per game to give Tolu some rest. I hope another shooter emerges. Davis looks good. Maybe Reed can be the other shooter.
Moore has had a few streaks in his career but at this point I don't know if he will be consistent. He has usually hit short jumpers and driven the ball well but he has been ice cold lately. I hope he can use some of these easy games coming up to get back on track.
I would hope our free throw shooting improves because I don't see how it could get much worse.

parabrave
11-27-2022, 04:45 PM
I'd like to see McNair get a few more productive minutes per game to give Tolu some rest. I hope another shooter emerges. Davis looks good. Maybe Reed can be the other shooter.
Moore has had a few streaks in his career but at this point I don't know if he will be consistent. He has usually hit short jumpers and driven the ball well but he has been ice cold lately. I hope he can use some of these easy games coming up to get back on track.
I would hope our free throw shooting improves because I don't see how it could get much worse.

I want Reed to be more consistent. One game he is lights out another game he can;t git crap./ Yeah on McNair giving Toulu more rest.

RocketDawg
11-27-2022, 04:57 PM
We're going to have to get better before playing Alabama. They're a pretty good shooting team. They up on UNC early in the 2nd period.

Speaking of announcers, does anybody like Bill Walton as an announcer? He kinda seems to be trying to sound like Vital, and is otherwise irritating. Last Friday, he was the color guy on the game after ours and said the Tennessee River runs from Tuscaloosa north to Florence, AL. Not quite.

LC Dawg
11-27-2022, 05:09 PM
We're going to have to get better before playing Alabama. They're a pretty good shooting team. They up on UNC early in the 2nd period.

Speaking of announcers, does anybody like Bill Walton as an announcer? He kinda seems to be trying to sound like Vital, and is otherwise irritating. Last Friday, he was the color guy on the game after ours and said the Tennessee River runs from Tuscaloosa north to Florence, AL. Not quite.

In his defense he was probably high.

parabrave
11-27-2022, 05:21 PM
In his defense he was probably high.

About to say the same thing.

NCMSTFAN
11-27-2022, 07:18 PM

Alabama is really good, Auburn, Tennesse, UK and Ole Miss look good early too. We are going to have our hands full come SEC play. We need to use these next few games to iron out the offensive issues. I'm glad we have the Minnesota and Drake games coming as well, we need to be tested

Coach34
11-27-2022, 08:02 PM
Why did we make a coaching change?

Team seemed to not play hard in stretches- That has been corrected. The effort has been outstanding
Team didnt seem to have a very good plan on offense- You can see our plan on O is better, we just struggle to make shots. Recruiting will help there in the future
Results didnt match recruiting rankings- this team seems to be exceeding talent level.

Happy with what I've seen so far. Keep it up

msstate7
11-27-2022, 08:35 PM
Alabama is really good, Auburn, Tennesse, UK and Ole Miss look good early too. We are going to have our hands full come SEC play. We need to use these next few games to iron out the offensive issues. I'm glad we have the Minnesota and Drake games coming as well, we need to be tested

OM doesn't have ruffin yet either. His addition probably will weaken their D though

parabrave
11-27-2022, 09:33 PM
So far there are some good SEC teams out there. I know its pre conference but I hope most teams gave great records before conf play which would only help us.

NCMSTFAN
11-28-2022, 04:37 PM
OM doesn't have ruffin yet either. His addition probably will weaken their D though

True, they could have possibly beaten Oklahoma with a healthy Ruffin. Again, every SEC game will be tough this year

yjnkdawg
11-28-2022, 06:14 PM

I can't stand Walton. He campaigned to get Howland fired when he was the UCLA HC. Walton wanted to run the UCLA basketball program.