PDA

View Full Version : Arnett

parabrave
11-26-2022, 03:10 PM
We better get the checkbook out cause The Ohio State might be coming for him.

DownwardDawg
11-26-2022, 03:11 PM
We absolutely have to keep him.

TrapGame
11-26-2022, 03:15 PM
Zach has complete autonomy with the defense. Leach lets him run it as he sees fit. That's huge. Plus, he and his wife like Starkville.

He needs a nice raise though. Really sweeten the pot.

CadaverDawg
11-26-2022, 03:17 PM
We don't have to worry about Freeze coming after him do we?

Dawgface
Some might not go this far but I would tell him he's our HC in waiting. It rarely ever follows though that way but more money and that feather in his cap might keep him for a while.

msstate7
If we lose him bc of money, we suck

DownwardDawg
11-26-2022, 03:20 PM
Some might not go this far but I would tell him he's our HC in waiting. It rarely ever follows though that way but more money and that feather in his cap might keep him for a while.

I'm fine with this. I really like him. My Bama buddies have commented on how hard he coaches.

RocketDawg
11-26-2022, 03:29 PM

Sounds reasonable. Leach won't be around much longer and Arnette is the natural to take over. I think. So, give him what it takes to keep him right now.

Homedawg
11-26-2022, 04:00 PM
If we lose him bc of money, we suck

Name the last coach we lost bc of money??? I'll answer, never

PikeDawg15
11-26-2022, 04:03 PM
Give him the title assistant head coach and defensive coordinator

Pay him 2.5 million per year if not more.

msstate7
11-26-2022, 04:04 PM

Good then

parabrave
11-26-2022, 04:07 PM

Maybe because we never had a coach that was worth emptying the bank for??

Homedawg
11-26-2022, 04:12 PM
Maybe because we never had a coach that was worth emptying the bank for??

My point is more, they left bc they got a better job. Would could empty the bank and it won't matter. And I'm not saying not to take care of ones that deserve it. But it's just a gesture if they want to go, they are gone.

3rdGen
11-26-2022, 04:18 PM
Zach has complete autonomy with the defense. Leach lets him run it as he sees fit. That's huge. Plus, he and his wife like Starkville.

He needs a nice raise though. Really sweeten the pot.

SHOW HIM THE MONEY!!!!

msu15
11-26-2022, 04:20 PM

You sure we didn't lose Diaz to Texas because of money after 2010?

parabrave
11-26-2022, 04:25 PM

Manny also tired of getting chewed out on national TV.

Really Clark?
11-26-2022, 04:27 PM

Texas > MSU. I mean that was a pretty simple move to understand.

Really Clark?
11-26-2022, 04:28 PM
Manny also tired of getting chewed out on national TV.

So bothered he came back

Bothrops
11-26-2022, 04:33 PM
Leach won't be around much longer

What are you hearing?

Lord McBuckethead
11-26-2022, 04:37 PM
Vic Shaffer

Really Clark?
11-26-2022, 04:39 PM
Vic Shaffer

That's a much much deeper story and not a fair comparison really.

DownwardDawg
11-26-2022, 04:43 PM
Vic Shaffer

Another example of not about the money.

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-26-2022, 04:45 PM

That's a chicken or the egg discussion:

You're saying we don't loose coaches to money, we only lose them to programs with more success. However, the only reason those programs have more success is because they have more money, and it just so happens that every coach that leaves here gets a big pay bump. Was it the mig pay bump that motivate the move, or the name on the jersey? But again even if it's the name on the jersey, it's still "money" that's the ultimate reason we couldn't keep him because money is what drives prestige

DownwardDawg
11-26-2022, 04:47 PM

You're saying we don't loose coaches to money, we only lose them to programs with more success. However, the only reason those programs have more success is because they have more money, and it just so happens that every coach that leaves here gets a big pay bump. Was it the mig pay bump that motivate the move, or the name on the jersey? But again even if it's the name on the jersey, it's still "money" that's the ultimate reason we couldn't keep him because money is what drives prestige

So if we offer the same or more and he still leaves for the bigger program, does that still mean he left for more money?

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-26-2022, 05:00 PM
So if we offer the same or more and he still leaves for the bigger program, does that still mean he left for more money?

It means he left for the prestige the jersey gives him. But the jersey only provides prestige because the boosters pay enough to win. So from a short term standpoint? If we match an offer and the coach leaves, it wasn't about money. From a big picture view? Yes, its about us being poor. If we had OSU money we'd be prestigious enough to where coaches would stay.

Homedawg
11-26-2022, 05:12 PM

Nope. He went to UT because it was a better job. Did he get paid more? Yes. Has the pay been the same he was gone.

Homedawg
11-26-2022, 05:13 PM
So bothered he came back

When he didn't have a job. Is this hard to figure. Then left for another better job. Good grief.

Homedawg
11-26-2022, 05:14 PM
Vic Shaffer

Another that didn't leave bc of money. Y'all keep coming w wrong answers and I'll keep shooting them down

Really Clark?
11-26-2022, 05:16 PM
When he didn't have a job. Is this hard to figure. Then left for another better job. Good grief.

He did have job it was just LA Tech though. But if the environment was so bad here he could have chosen to not come. Fans have made a lot more out of sideline coach chewing than it really is. Now Mullen and Collins at the end got pretty heated and personal. But not with Diaz

Homedawg
11-26-2022, 05:16 PM

We matched offers in several cases. They left. You can chicken or egg all you want, they left for better jobs. Collins to Fla. Mullen to Florida. Diaz to Texas, Diaz to miami. Shaeffer to ut do I need to keep going???? Sticklin to Fla. cohen to auburn. Smdh.

Homedawg
11-26-2022, 05:17 PM
He did have job it was just LA Tech though. But if the environment was so bad here he could have chosen to not come. Fans have made a lot more out of sideline coach chewing than it really is. Now Mullen and Collins at the end got pretty heated and personal. But not with Diaz

Correct. And msu better job than lf tech. Thisbisnt complicated. Some choose to make it so.

FISHDAWG
11-26-2022, 05:20 PM

Lost Manny Diaz to Texas

Really Clark?
11-26-2022, 05:22 PM
Correct. And msu better job than lf tech. Thisbisnt complicated. Some choose to make it so.

Agreed. And he made the right decision to go to Miami too. It was home, more traditional prestige and he parlayed that into a short HC career.

Really Clark?
11-26-2022, 05:24 PM
Lost Manny Diaz to Texas

We didn't lose him because of money. Texas was only 2 years removed from playing in the national title game.

Homedawg
11-26-2022, 05:30 PM
Lost Manny Diaz to Texas

AGAIN, we didn't lose him bc of money. We lost him bc it's a better job!!!! Omg

Cowbell
11-26-2022, 05:30 PM
Another that didn't leave bc of money. Y'all keep coming w wrong answers and I'll keep shooting them down

Cohen lol

Really Clark?
11-26-2022, 05:33 PM
Cohen lol

We helped Cohen pack and rented the moving truck for him

DownwardDawg
11-26-2022, 05:38 PM
Lost Manny Diaz to Texas

Nope. Discussed on page 1 already.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-26-2022, 05:40 PM
Nope. He went to UT because it was a better job. Did he get paid more? Yes. Has the pay been the same he was gone.
If we had a different AD than Cohen at the time Vic would still be here.

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-26-2022, 06:25 PM
We matched offers in several cases. They left. You can chicken or egg all you want, they left for better jobs. Collins to Fla. Mullen to Florida. Diaz to Texas, Diaz to miami. Shaeffer to ut do I need to keep going???? Sticklin to Fla. cohen to auburn. Smdh.

Right... notice that every single one of the schools you mentioned as being a "better program" are also far richer than us? That's my point- money = success, which = the pecking order of which programs are better than others. For example, one of the things that prevents us from winning big is lack of NIL money. Auburn has it in spades, thus they'll win more, and being a DC there is more likely to get a HC job than being a DC here is. But if you take away their booster money they wouldn't recruit better than us and after a decade their perception would be the same as ours.

So even if you match the salary offer today, the fact the other program is "better" than us is due to our lack of money yesterday.

Quaoarsking
11-26-2022, 06:34 PM

If the most common rumor about his departure is true, there are 0 ADs in the Power Five who would have been able to look the other way. Maybe for football, but no one is taking that legal risk for women's basketball.

Really Clark?
11-26-2022, 06:35 PM
Right... notice that every single one of the schools you mentioned as being a "better program" are also far richer than us? That's my point- money = success, which = the pecking order of which programs are better than others. For example, one of the things that prevents us from winning big is lack of NIL money. Auburn has it in spades, thus they'll win more, and being a DC there is more likely to get a HC job than being a DC here is. But if you take away their booster money they wouldn't recruit better than us and after a decade their perception would be the same as ours.

So even if you match the salary offer today, the fact the other program is "better" than us is due to our lack of money yesterday.

I don't understand your logic, to the coach either school paying him X number of dollars is the same to them. Doesn't matter who has the bigger war chest, to the coach it's the same amount either way. It's not about the money it's about the prestige of the program.

Homedawg
11-26-2022, 06:37 PM

Well, we are never ever ever having as much money as them so....

TheLostDawg
11-26-2022, 07:06 PM
If the most common rumor about his departure is true, there are 0 ADs in the Power Five who would have been able to look the other way. Maybe for football, but no one is taking that legal risk for women's basketball.

Texas certainly did.
What was the rumor. He's gone

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-26-2022, 07:08 PM
It's not about the money it's about the prestige of the program.

Please read my comment. "prestige" is downstream of money, because money is closely tied to winning.

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-26-2022, 07:12 PM
Well, we are never ever ever having as much money as them so....

Correct. We will never be able to recruit on a top 15 level, thus we will never be able to win it all and only occasionally be able to compete at a top 10 level.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-26-2022, 07:13 PM

The most common rumor is not true.

MoreCowbell
11-26-2022, 07:15 PM
Who are our biggest boosters, I legit do not know

MoreCowbell
11-26-2022, 07:16 PM
Texas certainly did.

Daughter who was an asst coach at time was too close with a player

Really Clark?
11-26-2022, 07:32 PM
Please read my comment. "prestige" is downstream of money, because money is closely tied to winning.

The money we are discussing is the coaches salary. A Million dollars is a million dollars regardless of who is paying.

I understand what you are saying and of course the more prestigious also have larger war chests. A lot of that is because of generation upon generation upon generation of supporting winning programs. We don't have 80 - 100 years worth of football winning history that developed a prestigious program with large donors wanting support the program. But we have a large enough pool of money to match what other schools will offer a coach for his salary. That's not really the issue with us as a program anymore.

was21
11-26-2022, 07:42 PM
State has big boosters. They donate a lot of money. The donations go to education. For example, the Swalm chemical building cost millions and was donated by Dave Swalm..an engineer. OTOH, lawyers and doctors may also fund education, but they have more discretionary income and they donate to athletic programs as well. By the way, all graduates from those schools are not doctors and lawyers, but there are enough of them to fund athletics because they need all the tax breaks they can get.

FISHDAWG
11-26-2022, 08:04 PM
AGAIN, we didn't lose him bc of money. We lost him bc it's a better job!!!! Omg
He damn near doubled his salary... I get that Texas is considered a better job but don't act like money had nothing to do with it... OMG **

Nope. Discussed on page 1 already.

Didn't see the discussion before I posted that

RocketDawg
11-26-2022, 08:06 PM
State has big boosters. They donate a lot of money. The donations go to education. For example, the Swalm chemical building cost millions and was donated by Dave Swalm..an engineer. OTOH, lawyers and doctors may also fund education, but they have more discretionary income and they donate to athletic programs as well. By the way, all graduates from those schools are not doctors and lawyers, but there are enough of them to fund athletics because they need all the tax breaks they can get.

Weren't athletic contributions removed as tax deductions a couple or three years ago?

Really Clark?
11-26-2022, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=FISHDAWG;1474826]He damn near doubled his salary... I get that Texas is considered a better job but don't act like money had nothing to do with it... OMG **

We offered to match Texas to keep him. Just like we offered Mullen a matching salary to stay to not go to Florida.

DownwardDawg
11-26-2022, 08:19 PM
He damn near doubled his salary... I get that Texas is considered a better job but don't act like money had nothing to do with it... OMG **

We were gonna match or beat it. He didn't leave BECAUSE of money.

Homedawg
11-26-2022, 08:30 PM

And we could have quadrupled it and he STILL have left. Damn. I cant spell it out for you. He DIDNT leave for money. Neither time!! Hell to go to Miami he didn't even get a raise.

Homedawg
11-26-2022, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=FISHDAWG;1474826]He damn near doubled his salary... I get that Texas is considered a better job but don't act like money had nothing to do with it... OMG **

We offered to match Texas to keep him. Just like we offered Mullen a matching salary to stay to not go to Florida.

Some people just don't get it. And clearly I can't help them to understand!!!

Homedawg
11-26-2022, 08:33 PM
We were gonna match or beat it. He didn't leave BECAUSE of money.

Correct. Same w Collins. Same w person X. All the same. They left for BETTER jobs. I'm sorry that hurts everyone's feelings. Just reality. And obviously I'm not talking to you. I'm agreeing

TheLostDawg
11-26-2022, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE=Really Clark?;1474835]

Didn't huff take a pay cut to get away from Moorhead
However he was to say he was part of the Saban tree in doing so

Really Clark?
11-26-2022, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=Homedawg;1474854]

No, he got a bump. Then 2 years later became HC for Marshall.

schddog72
11-26-2022, 10:08 PM
Vic Shaffer

Nope; $$$ was never a factor.

schddog72
11-26-2022, 10:11 PM

THIS!!!

schddog72
11-26-2022, 10:14 PM
Texas certainly did.

Well, no they didn't because not all parties involved went West; one went Northeast. Therefore, the legal "risk" became a moot point.

Homedawg
11-26-2022, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=Homedawg;1474854]

No he got a raise. But clearly went to a better job. And he was a moorhead boy and he begged him to stay. Pleaded. Can't blame him

Homedawg
11-26-2022, 10:23 PM
Baseball- Scott foxhall left nc state to come here. Why? It's a better job. In the meantime he got more money, but he would left for the same money. And he liked it there.

Ezsoil
11-26-2022, 11:43 PM
We don't have to worry about Freeze coming after him do we?

Unless he's taking him to Liberty.....no

TheLostDawg
11-26-2022, 11:54 PM
[QUOTE=TheLostDawg;1474919]
No he got a raise. But clearly went to a better job. And he was a moorhead boy and he begged him to stay. Pleaded. Can't blame him

We offered him more to stay. Huff left anyway. He saw the writing on that wall

TheLostDawg
11-26-2022, 11:56 PM
Baseball- Scott foxhall left nc state to come here. Why? It's a better job. In the meantime he got more money, but he would left for the same money. And he liked it there.

O please don't start this up again until baseball season

LibraryDawg
12-06-2022, 12:24 PM
When will Arnett's contract extension and raise be announced? You know they have got to be giving him one.

Really Clark?
12-06-2022, 12:36 PM
When will Arnett's contract extension and raise be announced? You know they have got to be giving him one.

His extension was just signed in June to 3 years and $3.9 MIL total. It was done at the same time as Leach's. Have to see what situation occurs that would warrant a renegotiation.

GoDawgz
12-06-2022, 01:50 PM
"Pay that man his money" John Malkovich - Rounders.

Todd4State
12-06-2022, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=Really Clark?;1474835]

So you're saying that they didn't leave because of the money?**

I kid.

Saltydog
12-06-2022, 02:23 PM
We couldn't keep him no matter what we paid him if OSU come a' calling..........

Apoplectic
12-06-2022, 03:13 PM
Every coaching loss is because of money. If we had paid them $1 more they would have stayed here. They?re hired guns - don?t care where they?re at if they?re making the most money. They are only loyal to the dollar

TheLostDawg
12-06-2022, 03:22 PM
Every coaching loss is because of money. If we had paid them $1 more they would have stayed here. They?re hired guns - don?t care where they?re at if they?re making the most money. They are only loyal to the dollar

Yes and no. Huff took a shift term pay cut to go to Bama but he knew it would raise his pay in the long run having been a part of the Saban tree.

HancockCountyDog
12-06-2022, 03:35 PM
Is this really going 5 pages deep?

If Ohio State comes calling and wants you to be the DC, you take the job unless you are the DC at about four, maybe 5 jobs.

Now - is the job more stable? Absolutely not.

If you want to take your swing at a top job and write your own ticket, you take the job.

RocketDawg
12-06-2022, 05:13 PM

How about Mullen? Didn't we offer to match or maybe even go above Florida's offer?

DownwardDawg
12-06-2022, 05:18 PM
How about Mullen? Didn't we offer to match or maybe even go above Florida's offer?

Yes. And the post you replied to is so wrong. He needs to read the entire thread. It's been explained too many times. We could pay coaches more than what they've been offered on several occasions but it's more about opportunity than money for some.

PGHBulldogBG
12-06-2022, 05:22 PM
Is Jim Knowles taking a head coaching job? I didn’t know Ohio State was looking for a new DC. Did I miss something?

BuckyIsAB****
12-06-2022, 07:26 PM
He was literally out recruiting for us today so