PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Portal QB

parabrave
11-25-2022, 01:34 PM
With posters bringing up the subject of going to the transfer portal to get a savior QB I have a question. What makes you think that this will "save" us. Not everyone is going to be a Burrow and Burrows 1st year at LSU he sucked. Brady made him a star.. What make you think a 3rd stringer from a FBS team can come come in here, get the starting position and win in his 1st season against SEC defenses? If that was the case Lovertich would be our starter. I'd rather get a QB coach who can spend time with these kids and groom them to be starters. Right now Leach has too much on his plate to be the HC OC and QB coach to do that.

PMDawg
11-25-2022, 01:41 PM
Yeah, the portal is not the answer. This system is built on reps. Will is the only QB who has gotten meaningful reps, in games or practice, with the first team, in the last 2.5 years. That's why all the recruits aren't coming along and why all the back ups look lost. He would literally have to bench Will, pick a new QB, and start giving him all the first string reps starting today for any of this to matter. Fact is, Will has the job until he leaves or his eligibility runs out, unless Leach leaves or makes a jaw dropping decision.

Todd4State
11-25-2022, 01:44 PM
We don't need a savior QB although I'm not against that either.

We need a Jack Abraham.

EdwardDrayton
11-25-2022, 01:47 PM
You?re saying we can?t get better than what we have. I don?t buy that. That?s exactly what NIL money is for.

yjnkdawg
11-25-2022, 01:52 PM
Some think we can attract a better QB to come here and compete with Will and win the job. No high rated QB is going to come here as long as Will is the QB. They don't transfer to compete . They want to be "the" QB when they transfer. Now if for some unknown reason Will transferred then yeah we could go to the portal.

vindastra
11-25-2022, 01:56 PM
Don't any of the blue bloods have a 3rd string QB that needs immediate playing time?

DEDawg
11-25-2022, 01:59 PM
What makes you think that this will "save" us.

this is naive thinking from pre NIL/transfer portal. I can think of 3 transfer QBs who are about to play in conference championship games and I am sure there is more.

Adapt or get left behind.

ZedFedder
11-25-2022, 02:14 PM
I think Luke Altmyer would do just fine.

parabrave
11-25-2022, 02:15 PM
this is naive thinking from pre NIL/transfer portal. I can think of 3 transfer QBs who are about to play in conference championship games and I am sure there is more.

A CJ Stroud isn't coming here.

DEDawg
11-25-2022, 02:18 PM

How does CJ Stroud have any bearing whatsoever to this conversation?

WhiskeyPirate
11-25-2022, 02:23 PM
None of that is true.

Gardner Minshew, grad transfer, East Carolina State, picked the offense up immediately having played in a similar offense , beat out all the qbs on the roster, led the team to 11-2 and is playing in the nfl.

Anthony Gordon, juco transfer, won the job and was able to step in and play well. Gordon wasn’t great but was much better than Will, strong arm and athletic could run.

Leach can get a grad transfer who has played in a spread passing attack. Does not need to be a P5 five star, mid major or even juco can work.

lovertich is not what I’m talking about, he’s a scout team guy and about 5-10. I saw Leach yell several times at Will last night, he knows what the deal is.

If this offense had Minshew or Harrell next year you are looking at a possible 11 win season.

vv83
11-25-2022, 02:30 PM

uhhhh dude. CJ stroud was a 5 star HS recruit who committed to OSU and has never even sniffed the transfer portal. u may wanna sit this one out

parabrave
11-25-2022, 02:31 PM
How does CJ Stroud have any bearing whatsoever to this conversation?

Well isn't he playing for a conference championship? Didn't he transfer as a freshman?

DownwardDawg
11-25-2022, 02:33 PM
None of that is true.

Gardner Minshew, grad transfer, East Carolina State, picked the offense up immediately having played in a similar offense , beat out all the qbs on the roster, led the team to 11-2 and is playing in the nfl.

Anthony Gordon, juco transfer, won the job and was able to step in and play well. Gordon wasn’t great but was much better than Will, strong arm and athletic could run.

Leach can get a grad transfer who has played in a spread passing attack. Does not need to be a P5 five star, mid major or even juco can work.

lovertich is not what I’m talking about, he’s a scout team guy and about 5-10. I saw Leach yell several times at Will last night, he knows what the deal is.

If this offense had Minshew or Harrell next year you are looking at a possible 11 win season.

Spot on. But I think Will is gonna be the guy next year.

parabrave
11-25-2022, 02:33 PM
uhhhh dude. CJ stroud was a 5 star HS recruit who committed to OSU and has never even sniffed the transfer portal. u may wanna sit this one out

Sorry thought he transferred to OSU after getting beaten out.

vv83
11-25-2022, 02:43 PM
Well isn't he playing for a conference championship? Didn't he transfer as a freshman?

No you are thinking of Justin Fields. CJ has never transferred. Regardless that is not my point. But if it was my counter would be KJ Costello was a legit consensus 5 star. Even tho he did not work out here you definitely don?t give up after 1 if you can pull 5 star transfers here which we have shown we can.

My point was you do not need a huge 5 star prospect transfer QB. If there is someone better than what you have and you can get him, you do it. Not utilizing the transfer portal is gross negligence in this age. Imagine if we went and got someone like Bailey Zappee for this year? We win 10 games this season. Find those Bailey Zappes and if they wanna come let them compete.

CovertDawg
11-25-2022, 02:48 PM
He isn't an air raid quarterback but a coach somewhere is going to figure out how to use Malik Hornsby from Arkansas. Leach said this after the Arkansas game.... "I think (Hornsby's) really good, kind of a stud," Mississippi State head coach Mike Leach said. "Well he's really fast, a guy that can get all of it if you don't keep a lid on him, and then he keeps it alive long enough that your coverage breaks down. Maybe not perfectly accurate, but he can throw it forever, so I thought that guy played really well."

Homedawg
11-25-2022, 02:56 PM

No thanks

Lord McBuckethead
11-25-2022, 03:02 PM
Because we know what we have. And what we have isn?t going to win a damn thing.

parabrave
11-25-2022, 03:07 PM
No you are thinking of Justin Fields. CJ has never transferred. Regardless that is not my point. But if it was my counter would be KJ Costello was a legit consensus 5 star. Even tho he did not work out here you definitely don?t give up after 1 if you can pull 5 star transfers here which we have shown we can.

My point was you do not need a huge 5 star prospect transfer QB. If there is someone better than what you have and you can get him, you do it. Not utilizing the transfer portal is gross negligence in this age. Imagine if we went and got someone like Bailey Zappee for this year? We win 10 games this season. Find those Bailey Zappes and if they wanna come let them compete.

Thanks.

Cowbell
11-25-2022, 03:23 PM
The reason we won't get a portal QB doesn't have anything to do with will but the the fact that it takes a year just to learn this stupid system and the next QB here is the kid committed from Tennessee.

EdwardDrayton
11-25-2022, 03:33 PM
The reason we won't get a portal QB doesn't have anything to do with will but the the fact that it takes a year just to learn this stupid system and the next QB here is the kid committed from Tennessee.

So what we’re saying is CML is a one trick pony and not a full-fledged coach.

PMDawg
11-25-2022, 05:05 PM
None of that is true.

Anthony Gordon, juco transfer, won the job and was able to step in and play well. Gordon wasn?t great but was much better than Will, strong arm and athletic could run.

lovertich is not what I?m talking about, he?s a scout team guy and about 5-10. I saw Leach yell several times at Will last night, he knows what the deal is.

Then the only other explanation is that your beloved QB guru has simply missed on every single QB he's recruited in 3 years. I guess that's possible.

WhiskeyPirate
11-25-2022, 05:06 PM
Then the only other explanation is that your beloved QB guru has simply missed on every single QB he's recruited in 3 years. I guess that's possible.

Enjoy the nine win season, numb nuts

Goldendawg
11-25-2022, 05:08 PM

Can't hit the side of a barn consistently. Not afraid to run though.

ZedFedder
11-25-2022, 05:28 PM
Maybe you guys are right, but Altmyer is more mobile and has a stronger arm. I’m willing to bet he could learn the offense quickly, too.

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-25-2022, 09:56 PM
In the game thread on Reddit I saw plural neutral fans say that if you swapped QBs, State would be up big (comments were made during the game). So fans that have no dog in the fight can see Dart is much better than Rogers. Where did Dart come from? Oh yeah, the Portal. Why are so many convinced we couldn't get a Dart level QB if OM can?

MoreCowbell
11-25-2022, 10:10 PM
Ppl overreact. Will has deficiencies obviously but he will be a 4 year starter and has been solid. Hell yeah wish he could run but he does what he does and hopefully progresses. He has at least gotten better every year.

As far as his replacement when he is gone. Gotta get him NOW. No time in the SEC to rebuild when you have some momentum. Gotta do it, just have to.

DownwardDawg
11-25-2022, 10:12 PM
In the game thread on Reddit I saw plural neutral fans say that if you swapped QBs, State would be up big (comments were made during the game). So fans that have no dog in the fight can see Dart is much better than Rogers. Where did Dart come from? Oh yeah, the Portal. Why are so many convinced we couldn't get a Dart level QB if OM can?
We could easily. And there are some out there. I just think Leach really likes Will and will try to coach him up for a better season next year. Parsons will take over the year after that. That's just what I think.

MoreCowbell
Ppl overreact. Will has deficiencies obviously but he will be a 4 year starter and has been solid. Hell yeah wish he could run but he does what he does and hopefully progresses. He has at least gotten better every year.

As far as his replacement when he is gone. Gotta get him NOW. No time in the SEC to rebuild when you have some momentum. Gotta do it, just have to.

If you are happy with 8-4 and possible 9-4 then have to be at least on board with the QB. We run the fking air raid, our record goes through him.

Catfish
We could easily. And there are some out there. I just think Leach really likes Will and will try to coach him up for a better season next year. Parsons will take over the year after that. That's just what I think.

Agreed

MoreCowbell
11-25-2022, 10:13 PM
If you are happy with 8-4 and possible 9-4 then have to be at least on board with the QB. We run the fking air raid, our record goes through him.

And look, I am a replace him if you can get someone better fan so do not hate

WhiskeyPirate
11-25-2022, 10:14 PM
Dart in our offense would be incredible. Will is a a division two or even three physical talent. Right now if you watch high school varsity football you will see average qbs who have stronger arms, much better speed, quickness and are physically stronger than Will.

This is not the deciding factor. If you process reads mentally very quickly, have great accuracy and nerves of steel/fearless in the pocket/pocket presence-sensing the rush.....you can still be effective in the air raid.

That is a problem here, Will, panics and doesn’t have guts in the pocket and can’t see the field well, he lacks poise.

You can’t be physically limited and lack poise, get the yips.

Will is a liability right now.

He’s a good person, I root for him, it I’m just not seeing it.

RisperDawg
11-25-2022, 10:14 PM
So does Braedyn Locke just not exist anymore? Lol. It was Sawyer, Sawyer, Sawyer. Then we saw a pick in garbage time against ETSU. Now it's straight to Parsons. Lol

Cowbell
11-25-2022, 10:15 PM

Because to get a player that can step right in, they will have to have played in this offense before. And we are not going to find that. Especially not to beat out a 3 year starter. Not a chance.

DownwardDawg
11-25-2022, 10:16 PM
Dart in our offense would be incredible. Will is a a division two or even three physical talent. Right now if you watch high school varsity football you will see average qbs who have stronger arms, much better speed, quickness and are physically stronger than Will.

This is not the deciding factor. If you process reads mentally very quickly, have great accuracy and nerves of steel/fearless in the pocket/pocket presence-sensing the rush.....you can still be effective in the air raid.

That is a problem here, Will, panics and doesn’t have guts in the pocket and can’t see the field well, he lacks poise.

Good post.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to WhiskeyPirate again.

DownwardDawg
11-25-2022, 10:18 PM
So does Braedyn Locke just not exist anymore? Lol. It was Sawyer, Sawyer, Sawyer. Then we saw a pick in garbage time against ETSU. Now it's straight to Parsons. Lol

I don't even know who we have. But I've been excited about Parsons once he committed.

WhiskeyPirate
11-25-2022, 10:26 PM
We on this board determine nothing. Locke is a stud, watch his hudl film. No you don’t throw a true freshman out there in the sec. Sawyer may still be a great qb when he gets his turn. One or two series as a rs frosh mean nothing. Leach has pulled surprises with his qbs before, he’s not afraid to name a new starter.

To give an example of lack of mobility at qb not being everything in the air raid , BJ Symons played a season on one leg at tech, he had an acl tear. He was great and very effective. His skills were a rocket arm and he was fearless in the pocket. That was enough.

RisperDawg
11-25-2022, 10:27 PM
Locke is still on the roster. He's another four star QB from Texas. He is a true freshman this year.

We also have Greek. All i remember about him was people talking about how hot his mom is. Lol.

I'm excited about Parsons too, to be clear. I just don't expect him to pick this to immediately as true freshman.

yjnkdawg
11-25-2022, 10:47 PM

Because Dart knew OM didn't have a proven QB when he signed with OM and that he would be "the" QB and he wanted to play under Kiffin. No highly rated QB is going to transfer here since we have an experienced QB starting like we do.

PMDawg
11-26-2022, 12:17 AM

Enjoy the 9 win season, numbnuts

BiscuitEater
11-26-2022, 11:19 AM

OK, name three that are going into the portal at season's end!

Quaoarsking
11-26-2022, 11:22 AM

As starters? Is Grayson McCall one of them? I'd definitely take him as a transfer, but he would have a whole lot of options.

BiscuitEater
11-26-2022, 11:30 AM

Dart came to be 'day one' starter, NOT compete for the job! Who's going to come in and compete with 2 year starter? Names?

TorpedoIPA
11-26-2022, 11:43 AM
Leach has had several quarterbacks sit on the bench for 4 years and do quite well when they got their chance. Two that come to mind are BJ Symmons and Sonnie Cumbie.

Leach doesn't like to change mid season and prefers for the job to be won in the spring. So I would?t write off Sawyer and Locke just yet

smootness
11-26-2022, 12:02 PM
It is not Parsons.

It is Parson. Chris Parson.

Parson

Parson

Parson

Quaoarsking
11-26-2022, 12:05 PM
It is not Parsons.

Parson

Parson

Parson

People still say Leech and Kiffen after all these years, so I wouldn't hold out hope.

msstate7
11-26-2022, 12:05 PM
It is not Parsons.

Parson

Parson

Parson

When he unseats Rodgers, we might get his name right

Homedawg
11-26-2022, 12:17 PM
Not sure why this continues to be a topic. We aren't going to tell Will to hit the road. Nor should we. Not chancing it on the unknown. Second, nobody is coming here to fight out a job w a three year starter. Third, if someone was willing to come and fight it out, we couldn't afford the person anyway. It's not like there won't be lots of schools in search of a transfer qb. We aren't getting a Caleb Williams or anything close. Complain about him all you want, and trust me I have. But, he will have to be beat out by someone on the current roster, and don't find that to be likely. Maybe it could happen. I doubt it

DownwardDawg
11-26-2022, 12:56 PM
It is not Parsons.

Parson

Parson

Parson

Wow. I'm not one that adds an s to people's names so I have no idea why I did that here. Maybe I've read it too many times and don't really know the young man yet.

DownwardDawg
11-26-2022, 12:57 PM
Not sure why this continues to be a topic. We aren't going to tell Will to hit the road. Nor should we. Not chancing it on the unknown. Second, nobody is coming here to fight out a job w a three year starter. Third, if someone was willing to come and fight it out, we couldn't afford the person anyway. It's not like there won't be lots of schools in search of a transfer qb. We aren't getting a Caleb Williams or anything close. Complain about him all you want, and trust me I have. But, he will have to be beat out by someone on the current roster, and don't find that to be likely. Maybe it could happen. I doubt it

Agree. Will will be the starter next season.

Catfish
11-26-2022, 01:01 PM
Wow. I'm not one that adds an s to people's names so I have no idea why I did that here. Maybe I've read it too many times and don't really know the young man yet.

Watched a video of Parsons, he looks pretty good.

Bothrops
11-27-2022, 06:58 AM
I have a feeling Locke will be the heir apparent. There's no way you strikeout with two 4* qb's in a row. Unless Parson is just awesome from the get go, I think it's going to be Locke.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-27-2022, 08:38 AM
One thing is for sure if we have no one on the roster that is pushing Rogers we need to get someone.

bulldawg28
11-27-2022, 11:36 AM
One thing is for sure if we have no one on the roster that is pushing Rogers we need to get someone.

You can't truthfully push him if you're working with lesser talent on the 2nd & 3rd team.

CadaverDawg
11-27-2022, 11:45 AM
Rogers will be the QB next year. That's just facts. Time we all accept it.

The debate should be how do we overcome his shortcomings in order to best succeed next year. We must run the ball more (I know that's asking a lot), and Will has got to focus on 3 things this off-season.....Stepping up in the pocket, Increasing his arm strength, and increasing his speed. He pretty much is what he is at this point on speed and arm strength, so it's really about utilizing the pocket more to allow himself more time to get guys open. There are a lot of good QB's that have concrete feet...but they're good at manipulating the pocket and knowing when to step up and when to slide, and occasionally when to take off and grab 4-5 yards. When he moves and makes LB'ers come up, guys typically come open. We can't be successful if he is never able to take shots in tight windows or downfield due to arm strength AND is unable to extend plays. Because then you're limiting success to our guys simply beating their guy on every pass play, and that's tough to ask in this league. Especially when their guys are usually more talented than ours. Gotta be able to ad-lib

trob115
11-27-2022, 11:48 AM
Altmyer wants to come to state. Will be interesting to see if we take him. I'm sure think we will

CaptainObvious
11-27-2022, 11:55 AM
I have a feeling Locke will be the heir apparent. There's no way you strikeout with two 4* qb's in a row. Unless Parson is just awesome from the get go, I think it's going to be Locke.

Can someone. Anyone, tell me if Parson missed part of the season due to injuries? His numbers are not good for him to be praised as the be all do all QB everyone makes him out to be. His team finished 6-5, He had something like 1200 yards passing and 500+ rushing. But 110 yards a game, if he played all 11, is not good.

Really Clark?
11-27-2022, 11:56 AM
Can someone. Anyone, tell me if Parson missed part of the season due to injuries? His numbers are not good for him to be praised as the be all do all QB everyone makes him out to be. His team finished 6-5, He had something like 1200 yards passing and 500+ rushing. But 110 yards a game, if he played all 11, is not good.

Yes he missed time with an injury

DEDawg
11-27-2022, 01:14 PM
OK, name three that are going into the portal at season's end!

that... was not the point of my post at all. read it again

DEDawg
11-27-2022, 01:17 PM
As starters? Is Grayson McCall one of them? I'd definitely take him as a transfer, but he would have a whole lot of options.

Cam Rising, Jayden Daniels, Caleb Williams were the 3 I was thinking off of the top of my head I'm sure there are more. My point was it does not take 2 years for a transfer QB to come in and be an impact guy.

Quaoarsking
11-27-2022, 02:33 PM
Cam Rising, Jayden Daniels, Caleb Williams were the 3 I was thinking off of the top of my head I'm sure there are more. My point was it does not take 2 years for a transfer QB to come in and be an impact guy.

Ah, I thought you meant that 3 players playing next week will enter the transfer portal after this season, so I figured it would have to be G5 guys who wanted to play on a bigger stage before trying for the NFL.

Leroy Jenkins
11-27-2022, 03:09 PM
I think I saw a stat at the beginning of the year that said 48% of starting QBs were transfers.

Patrick Tibbons
11-27-2022, 03:47 PM

Michael Pennix Jr.

He should probably get a Heisman invite. He went off this year.

CoachT14
11-27-2022, 04:42 PM
Ah, I thought you meant that 3 players playing next week will enter the transfer portal after this season, so I figured it would have to be G5 guys who wanted to play on a bigger stage before trying for the NFL.

There are G5 and FCS options that would be as good if not better options next year than Will. Just a few names to check out.

1. Hank Bachmeier - Boise, former 4 star recruit. Injured some.
2. Brett Gabbert - Miami (OH) - Blaine’s brother
3. Michael Hiers - Samford
4. Parker McKinney - Eastern Kentucky
5. Nolan Henderson - Delaware

There are others. Hudson Card will probably be the top QB in the portal. I’d strike out there then move on.

HancockCountyDog
11-27-2022, 05:13 PM
We are not spending our NIL money on a transfer QB. It just isn't happening.

I know Will had a rough egg bowl, but the defense got the job done and we won. Leach is not going to replace him, he runs the offense that Leach wants.

At the end of the day, if you can give Will a little help on the OL, and one more impact WR, we will be fine offensively.

Also, it helps when we decide to commit to the run.

CoachT14
11-27-2022, 05:24 PM
We are not spending our NIL money on a transfer QB. It just isn't happening.

I know Will had a rough egg bowl, but the defense got the job done and we won. Leach is not going to replace him, he runs the offense that Leach wants.

At the end of the day, if you can give Will a little help on the OL, and one more impact WR, we will be fine offensively.

Also, it helps when we decide to commit to the run.

Why does everyone else have to be perfect for Will to be adequate enough to do his job? That’s completely unreasonable to ask.

6 games this year Will has been really bad doing his job. 6! That’s half the schedule. And if wasn’t for the defensive effort we would have lost all 6. Instead we won 2.

Will didn’t have just a rough egg bowl. Any team that was rated 72 or higher defensively (outside of TAMU) Will was bad. That isn’t sustainable. He is who who he is at this point and if we don’t at least try to bring someone in to compete with him, that’s a massive indictment on this staff.

Will we bring one in? Chances aren’t likely. But at least try and I will see you see the problem and are willing to fix it. If we sit back and act like Will is the answer then it’s heads in the sands world in the football office.

Every team on our schedule was beatable this year. Every team. Georgia almost lost multiple times. Bama was beat twice and average teams almost beat them. LSU isn’t some juggernaut in year 1 of the Kelly era ( I can guarantee you this will be the worst team he has there though). Kentucky is just plain bad. Everyone of those teams have either losses or had teams nearly beat them. Want to know who didn’t? Us. Why? Our offense is uncompetitive against any team with a pulse. Why? Our QB. Will is a great person and a great ambassador for our university. He’s just not a good QB and he is hamstringing this team.

HancockCountyDog
11-27-2022, 05:29 PM
Why does everyone else have to be perfect for Will to be adequate enough to do his job? That’s completely unreasonable to ask.

6 games this year Will has been really bad doing his job. 6! That’s half the schedule. And if wasn’t for the defensive effort we would have lost all 6. Instead we won 2.

Will didn’t have just a rough egg bowl. Any team that was rated 72 or higher defensively (outside of TAMU) Will was bad. That isn’t sustainable. He is who who he is at this point and if we don’t at least try to bring someone in to compete with him, that’s a massive indictment on this staff.

Will we bring one in? Chances aren’t likely. But at least try and I will see you see the problem and are willing to fix it. If we sit back and act like Will is the answer then it’s heads in the sands world in the football office.

Every team on our schedule was beatable this year. Every team. Georgia almost lost multiple times. Bama was beat twice and average teams almost beat them. LSU isn’t some juggernaut in year 1 of the Kelly era ( I can guarantee you this will be the worst team he has there though). Kentucky is just plain bad. Everyone of those teams have either losses or had teams nearly beat them. Want to know who didn’t? Us. Why? Our offense is uncompetitive against any team with a pulse. Why? Our QB. Will is a great person and a great ambassador for our university. He’s just not a good QB and he is hamstringing this team.

You are probably right, but i'm just happy we beat their ass, I don't care that Arnett and the defense did most of the heavy lifting.

The defense won the egg in 2013, but I still give Dak the credit, same way Will gets the credit here.

ZedFedder
11-27-2022, 05:31 PM
You are probably right, but i'm just happy we beat their ass, I don't care that Arnett and the defense did most of the heavy lifting.

The defense won the egg in 2013, but I still give Dak the credit, same way Will gets the credit here.

Except Dak played 1/8 of the game.

CoachT14
11-27-2022, 05:33 PM

Trust me I’m more than happy we won. Yes, we still have the bowl game. But I’m on to next year at this point.

WhiskeyPirate
11-27-2022, 05:34 PM

Not sure we have a 12-0 roster

CoachT14
11-27-2022, 05:37 PM
Not sure we have a 12-0 roster

We don’t. Doesn’t mean we can’t compete better than losing by double digit scores.

WhiskeyPirate
11-27-2022, 05:39 PM
We don’t. Doesn’t mean we can’t compete better than losing by double digit scores.

I don’t think Georgia, Alabama, LSU are legit beefs. Agree we can do better behind center.

CoachT14
11-27-2022, 05:44 PM
LSU lost 3 games this year. Alabama lost 2. Missouri almost beat UGA. This year is one of the few years where all those teams are beatable compared to others. And we couldn’t muster more than 1 offensive TD against UK, Bama, and UGA. They all got scored on with more than 1 TD in multiple games.

It’s not even the offense itself. It’s because our current QB is sub par. Next year we lose a good bit of this current team. We need someone that gives a chance to win some games we aren’t supposed to.

Cooterpoot
11-27-2022, 05:47 PM
You guys can forget bringing in a QB for more than depth. It ain't happening.

WhiskeyPirate
11-27-2022, 05:51 PM
LSU lost 3 games this year. Alabama lost 2. Missouri almost beat UGA. This year is one of the few years where all those teams are beatable compared to others. And we couldn’t muster more than 1 offensive TD against UK, Bama, and UGA. They all got scored on with more than 1 TD in multiple games.

It’s not even the offense itself. It’s because our current QB is sub par. Next year we lose a good bit of this current team. We need someone that gives a chance to win some games we aren’t supposed to.

Who do we lose on offense besides sharp ? The o line should be better,
Pretty much the whole o returns and most of the defense.

It will be nice when Sawyer/Locke/parson run this offense with that kid from Katy tx at running back

Tough Dawg
11-27-2022, 06:14 PM
Will is holding this offense/this team back. Here?s to hoping we can find a D1/SEC caliber QB by spring. It can be done. Will seems to be a great kid and that?ll help him succeed in like. I want to win the SEC championship in the meantime.

WhiskeyPirate
11-27-2022, 06:16 PM
Will is holding this offense/this team back. Here?s to hoping we can find a D1/SEC caliber QB by spring. It can be done. Will seems to be a great kid and that?ll help him succeed in like. I want to win the SEC championship in the meantime.

Agree

Thing is, for this offense, an athletic playmaker from a smaller school who has played four years in a air raid type offense would be a big upgrade. They are out there.

Cowbell
11-27-2022, 06:18 PM
Altmyer wants to come to state. Will be interesting to see if we take him. I'm sure think we will

Really? What's his reasoning?

WhiskeyPirate
11-27-2022, 06:22 PM
Never mind, I see where altmyer is likely to enter the portal December fifth. I’m sure he will contact leach and see what his options are.

I haven’t watched him much, but based on his pedigree he sure looks like a big upgrade over Will.

HancockCountyDog
11-27-2022, 06:36 PM
Never mind, I see where altmyer is likely to enter the portal December fifth. I’m sure he will contact leach and see what his options are.

I haven’t watched him much, but based on his pedigree he sure looks like a big upgrade over Will.

Are you high?

Altmeyer will be looking at the G5 level.

WhiskeyPirate
11-27-2022, 06:40 PM
Are you high?

Altmeyer will be looking at the G5 level.

Based on what ? That he was a four star with offers from Bama, LSU and Oregon ?

He can’t play at a P5 school ? What

Cooterpoot
11-27-2022, 07:00 PM
Based on what ? That he was a four star with offers from Bama, LSU and Oregon ?

He can’t play at a P5 school ? What

LOL SMH

WhiskeyPirate
11-27-2022, 07:04 PM
You don’t think altmyer can play at a P5 school, I don’t agree. Watch and see.

Homedawg
11-27-2022, 07:54 PM
Never mind, I see where altmyer is likely to enter the portal December fifth. I?m sure he will contact leach and see what his options are.

I haven?t watched him much, but based on his pedigree he sure looks like a big upgrade over Will.

An upgrade??? What?? Um no. You keep showing your knowledge w each and every post. #1 go back and read why we won't. Get a replacement. #2 altmeyer is not an upgrade and is headed to Memphis or somewhere like it. But he's a no go.

WhiskeyPirate
11-27-2022, 08:04 PM
Would altmyer be an upgrade over will ? Probably. Will altmyer get P5 offers in the portal ? Probably

He’s listed pretty highly amongst the qbs in the portal now. I think 247 had him as a low four star high 3 star rating him as a transfer right now.

We will see, dart a five star beat him out, that doesn’t mean he isn’t a,P5 quarterback.

Is will Rogers a g5 qb ? Maybe

Cooterpoot
11-27-2022, 08:09 PM
You don’t think altmyer can play at a P5 school, I don’t agree. Watch and see.

He didn't have those offers you say he had. Those weren't committable. He was probably headed to Memphis if there hadn't been a coaching change. He followed Norvell to FSU. Failed there, failed at OM. Memphis, USM, or another Sunbelt AAC team likely it appears. Both MS QB in that class are moving down notches unless they get a late spot somewhere afte the portal moves settle.

Coach34
11-27-2022, 08:17 PM
You guys can forget bringing in a QB for more than depth. It ain't happening.

This

Not only will Rogers be our QB in 2023- I'm worried that he will still be the QB in 2024.

WhiskeyPirate
11-27-2022, 08:19 PM
I’m not worried about anything, next year we win 9+ and year four and five are where Leachs teams usually make a big jump.

Why should that worry you ?

Coach34
11-27-2022, 08:25 PM
I’m not worried about anything, next year we win 9+ and year four and five are where Leachs teams usually make a big jump.

Why should that worry you ?

Because with our losses on D and who knows what with the portal- I dont for a second think we will win 9 games

Bama and LSU will be better
A&M has found a QB as they showed LSU and Auburn likely improves. Both road games
UPig returns KJ and recruits better than us. Currently 16th
SC has Rattler back and they are recruiting well. Likely road loss- toss-up at best

Next season we are looking at 7-8 again if we play well

We will certainly be a solid team- but toss-ups go back on the road with SC, A&M, Auburn, and UPig

Catfish
11-27-2022, 08:29 PM
Because with our losses on D and who knows what with the portal- I dont for a second think we will win 9 games

Bama and LSU will be better
A&M has found a QB as they showed LSU and Auburn likely improves. Both road games
UPig returns KJ and recruits better than us. Currently 16th
SC has Rattler back and they are recruiting well. Likely road loss- toss-up at best

Next season we are looking at 7-8 again if we play well

We will certainly be a solid team- but toss-ups go back on the road with SC, A&M, Auburn, and UPig

Rattler may not be back.

Coach34
11-27-2022, 08:43 PM
Rattler may not be back.

Would be a bad move for him. He has looked good the last 2 weeks but he struggled alot of 2022. Coming back would help him move up a few rounds

WhiskeyPirate
11-27-2022, 08:49 PM
9 wins this year
10 wins next year

Pretty good roll here.

Coach34
11-27-2022, 08:59 PM
9 wins this year
10 wins next year

Pretty good roll here.

That's optimistic for sure

Bama 2022- road losses at Tenn and LSU
Tenn 2022- road losses at Georgia and SC
LSU 2022- neutral road loss vs Fla St and road loss to A&M
Mississippi- road losses to LSU and UPig
State 2022- road losses to Kentucky, Bama, and LSU
Georgia won close road games @Kentucky and @Mizzou...and they are loaded with talent

SEC teams lose road games even good teams...it wont be any different for State in 2023. We have 4 road games SC, Auburn, A&M, and UPig

Homedawg
11-27-2022, 10:46 PM
Would altmyer be an upgrade over will ? Probably. Will altmyer get P5 offers in the portal ? Probably

He’s listed pretty highly amongst the qbs in the portal now. I think 247 had him as a low four star high 3 star rating him as a transfer right now.

We will see, dart a five star beat him out, that doesn’t mean he isn’t a,P5 quarterback.

Is will Rogers a g5 qb ? Maybe

No no

Patrick Tibbons
11-28-2022, 01:41 AM
He didn't have those offers you say he had. Those weren't committable. He was probably headed to Memphis if there hadn't been a coaching change. He followed Norvell to FSU. Failed there, failed at OM.

Failed at FSU?

Altmyer never went to FSU. He changed his commitment and signed with OM.

Lord McBuckethead
11-28-2022, 01:58 AM
I would take Hornsby. Leach can coach him up, and Hornsby athleticism would give us an entirely different dimension. I would take him right now if he was interested.

War Machine Dawg
11-28-2022, 02:29 AM
He isn't an air raid quarterback but a coach somewhere is going to figure out how to use Malik Hornsby from Arkansas. Leach said this after the Arkansas game.... "I think (Hornsby's) really good, kind of a stud," Mississippi State head coach Mike Leach said. "Well he's really fast, a guy that can get all of it if you don't keep a lid on him, and then he keeps it alive long enough that your coverage breaks down. Maybe not perfectly accurate, but he can throw it forever, so I thought that guy played really well."

We don't need an Air Raid QB. Or current Air Raid QB is hot garbage and cost us two wins this year. Leach needs to adapt to the reality of modern football if he doesn't retire. And that reality is that mobile QBs are here to stay. If you don't have one playing, you're screwed unless you have ridiculous talent on the OL like UGA. All of Leach's proteges have adapted to using a mobile QB (among other adjustments). Time for Leach to do the same or retire. Watching a noodle armed statue throw flares to the RBs as his primary read makes me want to scoop out my eyes with a rusty spoon.

Tater
11-28-2022, 02:46 AM
Would be a bad move for him. He has looked good the last 2 weeks but he struggled alot of 2022. Coming back would help him move up a few rounds

Rattler is already gonna be a 4th round pick and if he leaves now, he's firmly in the "I can fix him" camp for head coaches in the NFL.

With how weak this QB class is (1 true star QB who is held back by a horrid OC, then a bunch of mid round, should be project guys getting pushed up in Stroud, Levis, Richardson), Rattler can easily find himself in the 2nd round. He needs to strike while the iron is hot.

ZedFedder
11-28-2022, 08:00 AM
I would take Hornsby. Leach can coach him up, and Hornsby athleticism would give us an entirely different dimension. I would take him right now if he was interested.

Passing ability just isn’t there.

WhiskeyPirate
11-28-2022, 09:22 AM
Failed at FSU?

Altmyer never went to FSU. He changed his commitment and signed with OM.

Lol

TrapGame
11-28-2022, 09:52 AM
We don't need an Air Raid QB. Or current Air Raid QB is hot garbage and cost us two wins this year. Leach needs to adapt to the reality of modern football if he doesn't retire. And that reality is that mobile QBs are here to stay. If you don't have one playing, you're screwed unless you have ridiculous talent on the OL like UGA. All of Leach's proteges have adapted to using a mobile QB (among other adjustments). Time for Leach to do the same or retire. Watching a noodle armed statue throw flares to the RBs as his primary read makes me want to scoop out my eyes with a rusty spoon.

Leach has had several mobile QBs on his resume as a head coach. Sawyer is a mobile QB and so is Chris Parson, who will be enrolled in January.

Will is probably the least mobile QB Leach has ever had. And the kid stares down open receivers while dumping the ball off to the RB. That's the shit the pisses me off.

HancockCountyDog
11-28-2022, 10:17 AM
Leach has had several mobile QBs on his resume as a head coach. Sawyer is a mobile QB and so is Chris Parson, who will be enrolled in January.

Why do people say that Sawyer is a mobile QB? Based on what?

I figured that people would be moving past the backup QB love that Sawyer has been getting after he got a few reps and people saw what that was actually like, but it looks like people aren't convinced.

Make no mistake, Sawyer will never be the QB here as long as Will Rogers is on the roster. So please stop wasting keystrokes and let it go.

RisperDawg
11-28-2022, 10:30 AM

I figured that people would be moving past the backup QB love that Sawyer has been getting after he got a few reps and people saw what that was actually like, but it looks like people aren't convinced.

Make no mistake, Sawyer will never be the QB here as long as Will Rogers is on the roster. So please stop wasting keystrokes and let it go.

I think you answered your own question. He got "a few reps." We didn't see what he is actually like; you're extrapolating from too small of a sample. Regardless, i think you're right. With so few live reps, i don't know how he or anyone on the bench could ever surpass Will. Going through the learning curve with Sawyer would be lower yield than Locke or Parson.

SilentSteel16
11-28-2022, 10:32 AM
You know you have a bad argument or standing when…..

WhiskeyPirate agrees with you …..

TrapGame
11-28-2022, 10:51 AM

I was responding about mobile QBs. And yes, compared to Will, Sawyer is more mobile. I don't give a shit if he starts or not, that wasn't the point, but he can move better than Will. Hell, a ****ing oak tree can move better than Will.

Quaoarsking
11-28-2022, 01:34 PM
https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1597294714591772675?t=n-K__CORLWRn0d08GplsJQ

DEDawg
11-28-2022, 01:44 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/michigan-qb-cade-mc-namara-enters-transfer-portal-181654220.html

ZedFedder
11-28-2022, 01:57 PM
He won’t come here, but I think he would be effective.

Coach34
11-28-2022, 01:58 PM
and just like that- Rattler hits the portal and is expected to go to Nebraska to improve his draft stock

msstate7
11-28-2022, 02:00 PM
and just like that- Rattler hits the portal and is expected to go to Nebraska to improve his draft stock

Wow

You sure this isn't just a move to up the ante?

Coach34
11-28-2022, 02:05 PM
Wow

You sure this isn't just a move to up the ante?

You never know but his OC is headed to Nebraska

msstate7
11-28-2022, 02:06 PM

Oh ok, didn't realize that

Really Clark?
11-28-2022, 02:09 PM

Yeah Rhule is moving quickly but Satterfield was with Rhule a lot in college.

vindastra
11-28-2022, 02:09 PM
I was responding about mobile QBs. And yes, compared to Will, Sawyer is more mobile. I don't give a shit if he starts or not, that wasn't the point, but he can move better than Will. Hell, a ****ing oak tree can move better than Will.

Can an oak tree run backwards under pressure? ***

WhiskeyPirate
11-28-2022, 02:11 PM
You know you have a bad argument or standing when…..

WhiskeyPirate agrees with you …..

Yea, like saying Altmyer went to FSU

Lol

Quaoarsking
11-28-2022, 02:17 PM

I guess we'll win in Columbia next year after all

msstate7
11-28-2022, 02:20 PM

Way too early to tell. Lord willing we won't get a gut punch like they just got

Catfish
11-28-2022, 02:23 PM
Way too early to tell. Lord willing we won't get a gut punch like they just got

Exactly, this is going to hurt SC.

Coach34
11-28-2022, 02:32 PM

certainly helps

TrapGame
11-28-2022, 02:44 PM
Can an oak tree run backwards under pressure? ***

Damn, you got me there.**

Yeah, I had this a possible road loss until this happened.

Catfish
11-28-2022, 02:49 PM

We can't underestimate "The Beamer" he pulled a rabbit out of his hat with Rattler, he might do it again.

TrapGame
11-28-2022, 02:57 PM
We can't underestimate "The Beamer" he pulled a rabbit out of his hat with Rattler, he might do it again.

That's true. I've been impressed with him.

Catfish
11-28-2022, 02:59 PM
That's true. I've been impressed with him.

Spencer Rattler made "The Beamer" look really good this year.

QuadrupleOption
11-28-2022, 03:06 PM
That's optimistic for sure

Bama 2022- road losses at Tenn and LSU
Tenn 2022- road losses at Georgia and SC
LSU 2022- neutral road loss vs Fla St and road loss to A&M
Mississippi- road losses to LSU and UPig
State 2022- road losses to Kentucky, Bama, and LSU
Georgia won close road games @Kentucky and @Mizzou...and they are loaded with talent

SEC teams lose road games even good teams...it wont be any different for State in 2023. We have 4 road games SC, Auburn, A&M, and UPig

Yep. Every year is brutal in the SEC. That's how it goes. Ain't nothing ever gonna change about that.

QuadrupleOption
11-28-2022, 03:09 PM

He looked pretty quick on his one rush against ETSU. Not saying he's Nick Fitzgerald but he has some wheels.

Homedawg
11-28-2022, 03:11 PM

Yeah we've never lost to someone who had a new or avg qb before****

Homedawg
11-28-2022, 03:11 PM

Rattler wasn't good at all until the last two weeks. Honestly he was pretty bad. Then looked like a freak, for two weeks.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-28-2022, 03:20 PM

not no but HELL NO!

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-28-2022, 03:22 PM

I think you may have gotten that reversed.

msstate7
11-28-2022, 03:27 PM
Rattler wasn't good at all until the last two weeks. Honestly he was pretty bad. Then looked like a freak, for two weeks.

I'm certainly not saying he's the next Joe burrow, but joe sucked too, until he didn't.

Burrow's junior year at lsu, he had a 133.2 passer rating. His senior year, he had a 201.96. Wow

Again, this is very rare, so not saying Rattler will duplicate... he almost certainly won't, but he has all the tools (former 5*).

Quaoarsking
11-28-2022, 03:28 PM
I'm certainly not saying he's the next Joe burrow, but joe sucked too, until he didn't.

Burrow's junior year at lsu, he had a 133.2 passer rating. His senior year, he had a 201.96. Wow

Again, this is very rare, so not saying Rattler will duplicate... he almost certainly won't, but he has all the tools (former 5*).

Maybe Will Rogers can improve his passer rating by 70 points!

msstate7
11-28-2022, 03:34 PM
Maybe Will Rogers can improve his passer rating by 70 points!

Lol, I'll settle for 20.

Rogers freshman: 123.49
Soph: 146.98
Junior: 141.00

His year has been disappointing

CoachT14
11-28-2022, 05:28 PM
Lol, I'll settle for 20.

Rogers freshman: 123.49
Soph: 146.98
Junior: 141.00

His year has been disappointing

Sans Passing yards and TD’s Will regressed big time from last year to now. When you run the air raid, those stats are a given. The tell is how much they average per attempt/completion, explosive play rate, and how they handle pressure. Which Will is near the worst or worst in the SEC at.

Will isn’t behind the line any more than other other QB’s either. He has the 2nd or 3rd least amount of yards to gain in the SEC. Which means he is almost never behind the sticks. When you have the 2nd or 3rd best OL in the SEC and a bottom 3 in the SEC drop rate that happens.

What all that tells me is Will fails to convert a lot of 1st downs despite getting virtually no pressure, having a team that doesn’t drop passes relative to how much we throw the ball, and never being behind the sticks.

Homedawg
11-28-2022, 05:58 PM

Not saying he stinks, but facts are, he wasn't good until the last two games. So, he has shown moments of shine.

msstate7
11-28-2022, 06:14 PM
Not saying he stinks, but facts are, he wasn't good until the last two games. So, he has shown moments of shine.

He was not good at all until Tenn.

Cowbell
11-28-2022, 08:35 PM

How does he not have to sit out a year?

Coach34
11-28-2022, 08:38 PM
How does he not have to sit out a year?

Grad transfer

Cowbell
11-28-2022, 09:01 PM
Grad transfer

I didn't realize he was that old

Bass Chaser
11-28-2022, 10:57 PM
Rattler is a Junior and he’s not in the portal. Dude tweeting that is just making stuff up.

WPS
11-30-2022, 05:16 PM

He entered the portal last offseason but the only interest he had was from Marshall so he decided to come back. I think he could be a G5/FCS QB but if he wants to stay in P5 probably needs to swallow his pride and become a full-time WR.

Pancho
11-30-2022, 05:17 PM
He really can fly

BhamDawg
11-30-2022, 11:12 PM
Hudson Card in the portal now. CML needs to go get him, we know how much he loves a Texas QB.

Played pretty well against Bama when he came in. Should have 3 years left.

Cowbell
11-30-2022, 11:45 PM
Hudson Card in the portal now. CML needs to go get him, we know how much he loves a Texas QB.

Played pretty well against Bama when he came in. Should have 3 years left.
The top QB in the portal ain't coming here to be a backup

BhamDawg
12-01-2022, 12:52 AM

Who said bring him in to be a backup?

Cowbell
12-01-2022, 07:38 AM
Who said bring him in to be a backup?

Lol

TheLostDawg
12-01-2022, 11:43 AM

I'm sure that he thinks he would beat Rogers out.
Same as why all those 5 star recruits going to Bama and lsu over the years thinking they are going to win the starting job over all those others.
Your thinking risk vs reward. They are thinking like a kid that's been a star everywhere he's been. This guy knows with a manning coming in, even if he is better, likely won't play.
I'm not saying we'll get him but I think we have a shot

Jarius
12-01-2022, 12:27 PM

He is not coming here but the idea that Hudson Card would not beat Will Rogers out in a quarterback competition is hilarious.

DEDawg
12-01-2022, 12:32 PM

Yeah that is kind of the point. Dude would blow Will out the water in a QB competition