PDA

View Full Version : Wild stat - Leach now has 7 wins over ranked-at-the-time teams, all as unranked

Quaoarsking
11-25-2022, 01:59 AM
https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/1595989717832679424

I am admittedly a big "only the final ranking matters, not what they are at the time" guy, but still not something we're used to seeing.

Quaoarsking
11-25-2022, 02:02 AM
Also - 4 of those 7 have been on the road, and one at the Armed Forces Bowl.

OhGee
11-25-2022, 02:02 AM
Your misspelled Arnett.

Commercecomet24
11-25-2022, 02:10 AM
Perhaps Leach maybe just a little better than some folks think.

CadaverDawg
11-25-2022, 02:10 AM
I know I'm a pessimist and all, but it also tells you that Leach's teams arent ranked very often. Need to change that. Luckily we could slip in to some polls next week.

Commercecomet24
11-25-2022, 02:11 AM
I know I'm a pessimist and all, but it also tells you that Leach's teams arent ranked very often. Need to change that. Luckily we could slip in to some polls next week.

I see us taking om slot at 20. Third in sec west, 5th in sec overall deserves a top 20 ranking.

CadaverDawg
11-25-2022, 02:17 AM
I see us taking om slot at 20. Third in sec west, 5th in sec overall deserves a top 20 ranking.

I agree. Hope the pollsters do too

Cowbell
11-25-2022, 07:44 AM
How many of those teams remained ranked at the end of the season?

Dawgface
11-25-2022, 07:47 AM
You can say that on some of Dak?s wins too.

bulldawg28
11-25-2022, 08:25 AM

If he had a Qb he might be lethal

Cowbell
11-25-2022, 08:25 AM
You can say that on some of Dak?s wins too.

Pretty sure you can say that on all of leachs

basedog
11-25-2022, 08:29 AM

I had him a little underrated as an offensive air raid guy. But overall he has done well at Msu and now the future looks better. I just hope moving forward we continue to get better, at least we are getting max effort which I love!

R2Dawg
11-25-2022, 08:32 AM

Maybe or a lot of these teams had no business being ranked when we played them - LSU, TAMU, OM, UK, etc. The polls are a joke until late in year.

Cooterpoot
11-25-2022, 09:53 AM
LSU will end the season with only one ranked win. We will end the season with no ranked wins. It's a crazy year in the SEC and college football. Outside of UGA and the OSU/Mich winner, I can't say anyone is great. And really, UGA might be the only great one. TCU looks like they'd have at least a couple losses in the SEC. Weird year not having a strong west division.

Mjoelner34
11-25-2022, 09:59 AM
Last night on the post-game, Bart and Charlie said Leach has tied Mullen with 9 wins over ranked teams and that it took 36 games. It took Mullen 106 games.

This thread mentions 7 so I guess the other 2 making it 9 is when we were also ranked.

BrunswickDawg
11-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last night on the post-game, Bart and Charlie said Leach has tied Mullen with 9 wins over ranked teams and that it took 36 games. It took Mullen 106 games.

This thread mentions 7 so I guess the other 2 making it 9 is when we were also ranked.

Likely '14 A&M and Auburn games

Mjoelner34
11-25-2022, 10:03 AM

Says more to me about the people doing the ranking than it does Leach. Those same type of people also picked us last or next to last in the west this year and had the bear-sharks in the top 10 after a handful of wins against high school teams.

BeardoMSU
11-25-2022, 10:19 AM

Yep

Quaoarsking
11-25-2022, 10:30 AM

I think this stat is based only on the AP Poll, but Arkansas was ranked in the Coaches Poll earlier this year, so that would be 8. Not sure about the other, unless they're counting 2021 NC State, who finished the season ranked.

Quaoarsking
11-25-2022, 10:30 AM

Already addressed that in the OP. We're always going to have more wins over "ranked at the time" than "ranked in the final poll" because lazy and biased pollsters overpunish teams for losing to us.

Cowbell
11-25-2022, 11:08 AM
Already addressed that in the OP. We're always going to have more wins over "ranked at the time" than "ranked in the final poll" because lazy and biased pollsters overpunish teams for losing to us.

Well that's obvious but full context (not having an agenda) would show that most of these teams turned out to be really bad (such as A&M this year)

Cooterpoot
11-25-2022, 11:09 AM
The whole "beat a ranked team" at the time is kinda going away with the playoffs. That last CFP poll is all that really counts now. AP etc is just biased poop.
But claim whatever you want. Hell, OM and AL claim a lot of fraudulent stuff. Might as well sell what we can.

Quaoarsking
11-25-2022, 11:13 AM
Well that's obvious but full context (not having an agenda) would show that most of these teams turned out to be really bad (such as A&M this year)

You're not just preaching to the choir here, you're preaching to St. Peter himself.

Nonetheless, it does mean that there have been 7 wins in 3 years under Leach where we weren't expected to win by the poll voters and did anyway.

Commercecomet24
11-25-2022, 12:25 PM
The whole "beat a ranked team" at the time is kinda going away with the playoffs. That last CFP poll is all that really counts now. AP etc is just biased poop.
But claim whatever you want. Hell, OM and AL claim a lot of fraudulent stuff. Might as well sell what we can.

And this is the correct answer! Sell the heck out of this stat, everyone else does!

mo7888
11-25-2022, 12:34 PM
Robbie just tweeted this-

Record vs. top 25 from SEC coaches hired in 2020:

Mike Leach ? 8-8
Sam Pittman ? 5-12
Lane Kiffin ? 4-8
Eli Drinkwitz ? 2-8

5 of Leach's losses are to either Bama or Georgia

Commercecomet24
11-25-2022, 12:35 PM
Robbie just tweeted this-

Record vs. top 25 from SEC coaches hired in 2020:

Mike Leach ? 8-8
Sam Pittman ? 5-12
Lane Kiffin ? 4-8
Eli Drinkwitz ? 2-8

5 of Leach's losses are to either Bama or Georgia

There you go, sell this and trumpet this all over the place! The bears sure would if it was reversed!

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2022, 12:37 PM

Being ranked has so much to do with your schedule and the order of the games.

For example: if you flipped OM?s schedule upside down this year and gave them the same record, do they spend a single day ranked?

QuadrupleOption
11-25-2022, 12:42 PM
Another interesting factoid:

https://twitter.com/CFBMatrix/status/1595996079270506497
As I understand it, a coach get a +1 effect for beating schools ranked higher in recruiting and a -1 for losing to schools ranked lower in recruiting. I may be wrong about that.

mo7888
11-25-2022, 12:42 PM
Exactly!

LC Dawg
11-25-2022, 12:46 PM
Whether the rankings were deserved or not Mullen's teams played tight and he coached tight against teams perceived to be better than us. Leach's teams and Leach seem not to as much.
Except against Bama. We should bring back Croom each year just to coach the Bama game.*******

Cooterpoot
11-25-2022, 12:55 PM
I think we sometimes get caught up in trying to be "too honest". We State fans need to learn to grab everything positive available and pump it. Now, if we're sucking, it's different. But we've got to all get to pulling the same direction more.
The media 17s us. Force it down their throats.

Commercecomet24
11-25-2022, 12:58 PM
I think we sometimes get caught up in trying to be "too honest". We State fans need to learn to grab everything positive available and pump it. Now, if we're sucking, it's different. But we've got to all get to pulling the same direction more.

This exactly!

LC Dawg
11-25-2022, 01:00 PM

Yep

TALL DAWG
11-25-2022, 04:48 PM
And, we should not give 2 craps if ranked teams we beat end up being unranked at end of a season. Just roll with whatever their ranking was when we beat them.

Goldendawg
11-25-2022, 05:04 PM
Being ranked has so much to do with your schedule and the order of the games.

For example: if you flipped OM?s schedule upside down this year and gave them the same record, do they spend a single day ranked?

Look at Tulane's ranking and their 10-2 record and #19 before playing today. Strength of schedule should also play a big part into this joke of ranking especially #s 7-25. Hail State!

Catfish
11-25-2022, 05:16 PM

Doesn't do any good to argue with Cowbell. He has wanted Leach gone from day one.

Quaoarsking
11-25-2022, 06:03 PM

Yeah, I think someone from the athletic department needs to be doing an all-out blitz on the poll voters every week, making all kinds of favorable arguments on why we should be ranked, how we compare favorably to the teams that would potentially be ranked around us.

The rankings matter, and the voters are impressionable. Hell, I've convinced an AP poll voter to raise our ranking over Twitter a couple times myself.

Commercecomet24
11-25-2022, 06:06 PM
If the polls don't rank us I guarantee the cfp committee will. Third please in west and 5th overall in the sec is a top 20 team. Anyone with a brain can see this.

HeCannotGo
11-25-2022, 06:40 PM

THANK YOU! Was about to post something similar. The initial responses in this thread are a great example of how State fans will crawl across broken glass to talk down our coach or our program. Way too many of our fans enjoy being miserable. Then we're shocked when the media doesn't praise us.

Commercecomet24
11-25-2022, 06:47 PM
THANK YOU! Was about to post something similar. The initial responses in this thread are a great example of how State fans will crawl across broken glass to talk down our coach or our program. Way too many of our fans enjoy being miserable. Then we're shocked when the media doesn't praise us.

This exactly! The crap I hear about we only beat "insert sec team" because they suck is absolutely ridiculous! Every sec win and wins against ranked teams are earned and should be treated as such!

Mjoelner34
11-25-2022, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I think someone from the athletic department needs to be doing an all-out blitz on the poll voters every week, making all kinds of favorable arguments on why we should be ranked, how we compare favorably to the teams that would potentially be ranked around us.

The rankings matter, and the voters are impressionable. Hell, I've convinced an AP poll voter to raise our ranking over Twitter a couple times myself.

They need to start with our own writer.

Quaoarsking
11-25-2022, 07:46 PM
They need to start with our own writer.

Yes for sure. Every good P5 team has a local homer casting their ballot to nudge things in their favor. But no, not Robbie Faulk. Does he take himself too seriously or something?

I'm not asking for him to get ridiculous or unjustifiable. Just that if some writers are ranking us and some aren't, that he be in the half that is. And if everyone in ranking us, that his ballot is one of the better ones for us. I'm not demanding that he rank us 5 spots higher than the next highest, or rank us when no one else does, or anything like that.