PDA

View Full Version : MSU vs JSU Game Thread

TheRef
11-27-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm looking live at the basketball game between the Tigers of Jackson State University and the Bulldogs of Mississippi State University. I will update as I can. Which will be during timeouts since I'll be too busy being crazy.

TheRef
11-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Gavin Ware having trouble right now. Nothing is going in for the Dawgs and JSU is getting all of the rebounds.

TheRef
11-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Shots are beginning to fall for State. Rock with a made layout and Fred makes 1/2 free throws. Jackson State showing a lot of grit so far. 8-3 JSU with 15:30 left.

TheRef
11-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Just got told by a Father to sit down in the student section so that his son could see. If you're going to sit in the student section then don't tell us to sit down so that your 6 year old son can see.

C222
11-27-2013, 02:19 PM
How is the crowd?

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm watching on HailState. Sloppy sloppy game right now. We're playing great D though

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Just got told by a Father to sit down in the student section so that his son could see. If you're going to sit in the student section then don't tell us to sit down so that your 6 year old son can see.

What a joke. Tell the bastard to move to one of the other 5,000 empty seats. I hate when our fans do that trash

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Our bball team needs to learn to value each offensive possession. We play like Oregon does in football...like we're trying to see how many possessions we can get. WAY too many turnovers and poor shots.

We are a scrappy bunch though. And hell on defense

smootness
11-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Our bball team needs to learn to value each offensive possession. We play like Oregon does in football...like we're trying to see how many possessions we can get. WAY too many turnovers and poor shots.

We are a scrappy bunch though. And hell on defense

Not watching the game, but I agree with this overall. Scrappy, serious about defense, and crazy sloppy is the most succinct way to describe our team. Too often in transition, the player bringing the ball up just bulls his way to the basket and throws up some crap at the rim. We need to learn when to back off and when to pass. That, and just improving our ability to put the ball in the hole.

But we're fun to watch, and they're a group of players you can be proud of.

TheRef
11-27-2013, 02:34 PM
The refs are not calling a good game in my opinion. Sloppy game by MSU right now. Rebounds are definitely a problem right now. Tied at 18 with 4:50 to go

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 02:39 PM
22-20 JSU and they are at the line for 2 free throws.

TheRef
11-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Questionable call on the shot clock violation. Refs viewing the film to see. Now they are motioning that it was a violation. 24-20 JSU with 2:32 left

smootness
11-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Questionable call on the shot clock violation. Refs viewing the film to see. Now they are motioning that it was a violation. 24-20 JSU with 2:32 left

Sounds like a good game for Malik to see**

Haha.

CadaverDawg
Terrible defense on their final possession. Our offense is really bad. Especially with Chicken on the bench in foul trouble.

CadaverDawg
28-23 JSU at half.

CJDAWG85
11-27-2013, 02:48 PM
This team sucks

TheRef
11-27-2013, 02:49 PM
It's halftime here at the Hump. JSU leading 28-23. Low post presence is almost none. We gave up an easy layup to end the half where the PG had an open route through the lane. I expect adjustments to be a bigger post presence on defense and we need to feed the ball into the paint on offense.

CJDAWG85
11-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Why the hell do we have one concession stand open?

hailmari
11-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Possibly the worst half of basketball I've ever watched at the Hump..

FreeBoosie
11-27-2013, 02:54 PM

Haha.

Malik isn't here due to "practice obligations"

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 02:54 PM
It's halftime here at the Hump. JSU leading 28-23. Low post presence is almost none. We gave up an easy layup to end the half where the PG had an open route through the lane. I expect adjustments to be a bigger post presence on defense and we need to feed the ball into the paint on offense.

Yea, towards the end of the half we were just getting easily beaten off the dribble. We would rush out to the 3 point line to get in the shooter's face, and they would blow right by us for easy scores.

Offensively, we are taking really fast shots, and most are horrible and heavily contested. Gotta work the ball around and be more patient offensively.

I'm starting to think Dawg61 is right. Maybe we need to hire a shooting coach. Whoever is coaching our guys on their shooting right now, is not having much of an effect. We are a horrible shooting team. Not sure what the percentage ended up for the half, but with 3 minutes left we were under 30% from the field...like 28 or 29%. That's just gross.

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Possibly the worst half of basketball I've ever watched at the Hump..

Haha unfortunately I agree. Gross is the word that sticks out to me.

Rick Cleveland
11-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Jackson State is a good and getting better team, gonna get better under Wayne Brent. Count on it.

msstate7
11-27-2013, 02:58 PM

Haha.
Well if he's looking for a place he can start right away...**

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Jackson State is a good and getting better team, gonna get better under Wayne Brent. Count on it.

I agree, Rick. They are pretty good, and they upset someone already this year...can't remember who it was. We will be fortunate to win today with the combination of how terrible we're playing, and them being a decent team that is wanting to prove something. Not the performance I was hoping for with Malik in the house. Not that it matters

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Well if he's looking for a place he can start right away...**

Good point. In fact, Ray could promise him that he would let him take as many shots as possible each game from day 1. And I'm not joking at all.

hailmari
11-27-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm not certain but I think I just saw Ontario Harper by the concessions.. Too bad he used his share of eligibility.

maroonmania
11-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Was hoping our team would have improved more since last year but I'm not feeling it.

FreeBoosie
11-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Food for thought- When Wayne Brent was hired this year he dismissed all but three players from last years squad. So you could say he inherited a "dumpster fire". He already has a win at Air Force, and is playing us very well at the Hump.

maroonmania
11-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Latest over on SPS is that Newman didn't make it in today per David Murray.

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Nobles is killing Bloodman off the dribble. I mean he can take it to the hole uncontested whenever he wants.

That being said...we're up 47-46 with under 9 to play. Back to back unforced turnovers, a travel and a step out of bounds.

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 03:38 PM
51-51 5:27 left

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Ware is injured. Not sure how bad but he had to come out.

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Sword just swatted Nobles' shit! Great play

gravedigger
11-27-2013, 03:44 PM
53-53 with 3:22 to play. timeout

Coach34
11-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Nobles played at UPig right?

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Clutch defense and score by sword, free throw by Thomas...:56 left and we're up. Hope we can hang on

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Nobles played at UPig right?

Yes. He's good.

CJDAWG85
11-27-2013, 03:53 PM
The end of this game is a ****ing joke.

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 03:53 PM
MSU up 2 with 3 seconds left. JSU ball

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Wow, great win. It was ugly, so to find a way to win was big

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 03:57 PM
58-56 Final

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 03:59 PM
The end of this game is a ****ing joke.

Yea, Wayne Brent should have been given a tech with 3 seconds to play. He ran all the way past Rick Ray to call a timeout. Ray was visibly pissed. Glad we found a way to win that one

smootness
11-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Wow, great win.

Sounds weird, but yes, it is.

Every win for this team...literally every win...is huge, especially if you have to figure out a way to get it done at the end, no matter who it is that we're playing.

This OOC schedule should hopefully be about building some confidence and learning to win. This game helps.

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Sounds weird, but yes, it is.

Every win for this team...literally every win...is huge, especially if you have to figure out a way to get it done at the end, no matter who it is that we're playing.

This OOC schedule should hopefully be about building some confidence and learning to win. This game helps.

I agree completely. It felt weird saying that it was a good win, but like you said, a win is a good win for this team. And we actually played our best ball of the afternoon in the last 2 minutes...both offensively AND defensively. That is a good sign, and I'm proud of the way the team played at the end.

CJDAWG85
11-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Yea, Wayne Brent should have been given a tech with 3 seconds to play. He ran all the way past Rick Ray to call a timeout. Ray was visibly pissed. Glad we found a way to win that one

Not only that but Bloodman was fouled shooting the 3.

Coach34
11-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Was surprised to see Borchert not play very well today

maroonmania
11-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Well hate it came down to that but its good to see us be able to come through in the clutch and pull out a win.

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Was surprised to see Borchert not play very well today

He had some key moments though coach. Had some big rebounds too. He spent most of his time trying to give us a big man down low. Unfortunately, his offensive game may struggle this year with him having to do so much down low defensively. Love his effort though.

manboy2000
11-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Come on we gotta admit we are the team with the lessor talent. That 2nd half was a hellueva effort*cough* filled, determined, excellent coached, team I witnessed even though Borhert didn't finish with a high scoring game he played big when it counted. Kudos to the Coach and team, cause I'm sure Jackson St. Have the better talent of the two. I think this team will open the recruiting up for us to where a few 4 stars and an 5 star will choose us again. I also think we have a great xs an os type coach. I'm sold

quickstrike2
11-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Man this is tough to read, but i guess every win is a good win in our situation.

C222
11-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Food for thought- When Wayne Brent was hired this year he dismissed all but three players from last years squad. So you could say he inherited a "dumpster fire". He already has a win at Air Force, and is playing us very well at the Hump.

We beat Ole Miss last year.

manboy2000
11-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Sorry! I just hit the bong. Jk. I'm on a phone and its hard to type out here in the cold.

Dawg61
11-27-2013, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=CadaverDawg;96543

I'm starting to think Dawg61 is right. Maybe we need to hire a shooting coach. Whoever is coaching our guys on their shooting right now, is not having much of an effect. We are a horrible shooting team. Not sure what the percentage ended up for the half, but with 3 minutes left we were under 30% from the field...like 28 or 29%. That's just gross.[/QUOTE]

Ready to get really frustrated? We have an open slot for another coach if Ray would just use a little imagination. There's your shooting coach.

Ronny
11-27-2013, 05:08 PM
..travel to Utah where you get your ass beat by a superior opponent.

Then have to come home to play Jackson State @ 1pm on the Wed before Thanksgiving.

Talk about a classic trap game scenaro.

Anyway, glad MSU won.

Our next game is Dec. 1 against a mediocre Loyola team.

We'll beat Loyola senseless.

MarketingBully01
11-27-2013, 05:29 PM
You are an idiot if you think Jackson State has more talent then we do in basketball. If we had lost this game, it would have been like us losing to Alabama A&M like last year. Luckily we pulled it out which was the only positive you can take from this game. You guys are going over board on the positive side for this team. What gives?

Ronny
11-27-2013, 05:58 PM
You are an idiot if you think Jackson State has more talent then we do in basketball. If we had lost this game, it would have been like us losing to Alabama A&M like last year. Luckily we pulled it out which was the only positive you can take from this game. You guys are going over board on the positive side for this team. What gives?

over board on the positive side for this team?"

That's funny, considering 90% of the people who post here always post the negative as a means to appear like some kind of aggrieved expert.

Everybody realizes this team is severely flawed. They are less than 2 years removed from the Stansbury dumpster fire.

I don't give a damn who they play or how they play: If they win, I am going to congratulate them. In other words, I'm going to act like a weirdo & "go overboard on the positive side."

Dawg61
11-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Basketball team is struggling without their point guard I.J. Ready whose hurt and can't play for a month. We'll be bad without him. What's up with Ware? Losing him and Ready and we'll be ****ed.

MarketingBully01
11-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Yep, but i see that mantra doesn't work in all sports. Wins are wins. I guess in two more years when we look like this the Stansbury "dumpster fire" as you guys like to call it will still be blamed. If we were in the SWAC, we could be their champion since we are already 3-0 against those teams. But as I said before, I am beating a dead horse. To me of the three big sports of ours, basketball is definitely the weakest. And hey, of the recruiting class that Ray brought in only one is playing. I think that can be blamed on him or
was that part of the dumpster fire too. I guess I am just very disappointed the administration chose to go this direction and we will have to go through another two years of free fall before this will even be addressed and corrected. To me if there is any reason to fire the AD, it was the handling of the basketball hire. Done correctly, we would be on a much better path and more then likely would have been competitive even this year.

Dawg61
11-27-2013, 10:53 PM
None of them are currently playing. Ready is hurt. Ndoye and Daniels aren't allowed to play.

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Basketball team is struggling without their point guard I.J. Ready whose hurt and can't play for a month. We'll be bad without him. What's up with Ware? Losing him and Ready and we'll be ****ed.

Ware came back in after the injury today, 61. So he should be good

Dawg61
11-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Ware came back in after the injury today, 61. So he should be good

Phew!! He's the one guy we can not lose and somewhat recover from. Pretty amazing a true soph is the most important piece on the team.