PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the Upgrading/Rebuilding of Dudy Noble....

CadaverDawg
04-20-2013, 10:52 PM
Guys if we continue playing and recruiting this well under Cohen, this new stadium idea could happen pretty quickly. Scott isn't afraid to raise and spend the money if we have a winning product on the field.

With that being said, I know some things were listed in a different thread, but let's dedicate this thread to ideas and things we have to have with a new stadium. Scott likely reads this board, and if not, he needs to, so we can tweet a link to this thread.

How much money will we need? 30 mil?

How will we raise it?

What changes need to be made? Concessions, Bathrooms, etc

How would you change the outfield situation?

What do we do down the left and right field lines?

Let's add some pictures of the best stadiums and their unique features, as well as things they did well that we can copy with our own unique twist. I will paste another pic of Isotopes when I get to my laptop.

Will James has some great ideas. Engie, Mstate7, Todd, and a few others in the other thread, had great ideas too. Let's combine them in to one thread and see if we can get the ball rolling. This is much needed at Dudy, and now is the time while the program is on the rise and the fans are enthusiastic. Cohen is building a damn winner, so let's give him a stadium to recruit to.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-20-2013, 11:25 PM
Put in a pro shop similar to what is at minor and major league stadiums. Is there any way to expand back towards The Hump? If we were able to do that, you can make a large flat area for standing room area above the grandstands like at Busch Stadium.

CadaverDawg
04-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Isotopes...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_PlJMmni8u2_aivHGbivpoVOk2uh-bDKAmY9F2jvBzM3B_RpoiA

http://invisiblestructures.com/project_profiles/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/img-3.php_1.jpeg

http://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/AAA/isotopesberm.jpg

CadaverDawg
04-20-2013, 11:38 PM
South Carolina.....

http://spursupblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/baseball-stadium.jpg

msstate7
04-20-2013, 11:41 PM
Isotopes...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_PlJMmni8u2_aivHGbivpoVOk2uh-bDKAmY9F2jvBzM3B_RpoiA

http://invisiblestructures.com/project_profiles/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/img-3.php_1.jpeg

http://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/AAA/isotopesberm.jpg

Who is the bottom one?

CadaverDawg
04-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Who is the bottom one?

Just a closer view of Isotopes

engie
04-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Alot like I want us to redo right field at Dudy Noble(with lounges in front)

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130421-7j2c-11kb.jpg

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-21-2013, 12:03 AM
I hope they keep what we have. They are terrified of the LFL and RFL contraptions. Think theyre a lawsuit waiting to happen. Which is ironic, considering they built the rfl deck that collapsed.

engie
04-21-2013, 12:07 AM
Why can't they keep what we have with the lounges(put them on a height restriction in right) and simply build this terrace into the hill above it?

We have GOT to come up with a pure student section -- that is the only place I know to do it with even remotely decent sightline possibilities...

engie
04-21-2013, 12:15 AM
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130421-jfqv-70kb.jpg

In a thrown together, shit drawing -- this is what I'm talking about doing...

CadaverDawg
04-21-2013, 12:18 AM
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20130421-jfqv-70kb.jpg

In a thrown together, shit drawing -- this is what I'm talking about doing...

I like it.

So you're saying the top of the right field wall would be at or near the ground level of the right field terrace for students?

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-21-2013, 12:20 AM
engie, common sense aint so common. what is best for us and what is best for others is different. I hope they get it right but we shall see. The lfl will always be there but they hate the make shift trailors. Politically, that cant be changed but that is what dudy noble is and I think most know that.

Youd be surprised how athletics work. They arent hardcores like us. The majority are more like a republican or democrat. Tote whatever is the line so they can stick around.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-21-2013, 12:22 AM
engie, fyi, the small scoreboard to the left of the press box is called the "grisham board". John grisham had it placed there because he hated turning around and having to look up at the main board to catch the score when he sat in the lounge.

He is long gone now though. I cant believe the board still works.

engie
04-21-2013, 12:29 AM
I like it.

So you're saying the top of the right field wall would be at or near the ground level of the right field terrace for students?

Exactly. Basically just like OM's -- only closer to the field and beyond lounges.

engie
04-21-2013, 12:35 AM
engie, common sense aint so common. what is best for us and what is best for others is different. I hope they get it right but we shall see. The lfl will always be there but they hate the make shift trailors. Politically, that cant be changed but that is what dudy noble is and I think most know that.

Youd be surprised how athletics work. They arent hardcores like us. The majority are more like a republican or democrat. Tote whatever is the line so they can stick around.

True -- but OM listening forces MSU to listen. The days of ignoring things like this are long over -- and thank goodness that I have the utmost faith in Stricklin to do it right if we're going to do it. We're bringing in enough $$ from the Bulldog Club now that we aren't hindered by the same "rules" as we were before. Literally as much in private athletics donations as anyone else in the conference.

Really, we just need to find the right person to hire as an engineering consultant that "certifies" the lounges every so often. This forces things that need to be fixed to actually happen...

OR we could go up on the prices to a reasonable level(to help pay for the new stadium) -- and raising prices will ultimately raise the quality of all the lounges.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-21-2013, 12:39 AM
Agree on a lot of that. I think Strick needs to put his nuts out there for once. He is a middle of the road guy. That is good or bad. I guess he did stick his nuts out there for Ray when nobody wanted him and Payne was a done deal.

I just want an outside the box, innovator....Im not sure we will ever have that.....however, scott has our best interest in mind.

Edit - I love going 4-4 in the sec and going to the liberty bowl every year, but I would trade that out to win the SEC and NC every 5 years in baseball and pour money into that. We will NEVER spend or outdo bama, auburn, lsu, etc for football. We can in baseball. Possibly basketball. Kentucky doesnt try to beat TENN in football year in and out.....what about basketball?

CadaverDawg
04-21-2013, 12:42 AM
Agree on a lot of that. I think Strick needs to put his nuts out there for once. He is a middle of the road guy. That is good or bad. I guess he did stick his nuts out there for Ray when nobody wanted him and Payne was a done deal.

I just want an outside the box, innovator....Im not sure we will ever have that.....however, scott has our best interest in mind.

I feel like Scott is exactly what you're saying you want. He is constantly trying to stay ahead of the curve, and not afraid to spend money if it means a chance at putting MSU out there.

Not sure what more he could do right now, But maybe I'm reading it all wrong.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-21-2013, 12:44 AM
as weird as it is, i dont want the the lounges to go up in quality. that is what makes it unique. safe, sure.....but keep them trashy

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-21-2013, 12:48 AM
I think scott does a good job. Not too many head scratchers other than Ray and sugarland. you DONT hire a band that isnt on the road touring unless you want to pay double. Great idea. Great genre. Great act. Just not right at the time unless you want to lose your ass.

CadaverDawg
04-21-2013, 12:48 AM
as weird as it is, i dont want the the lounges to go up in quality. that is what makes it unique. safe, sure.....but keep them trashy

I agree. Are they talking about changing them?

CadaverDawg
04-21-2013, 12:49 AM
I think scott does a good job. Not too many head scratchers other than Ray and sugarland. you DONT hire a band that isnt on the road touring unless you want to pay double. Great idea. Great genre. Great act. Just not right at the time unless you want to lose your ass.

True, but I was glad Scott took the risk and tried it out. It didn't work so he learned from it and canned it. I think that's a good example of putting his ass on the line with a risky choice to try and put MSU on the cutting edge.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-21-2013, 12:50 AM
that is a long way away. I think if they even considered that, whoever made that call would lose their job quickly. LFL will always be there. I can see them ****ing around with rfl and the bleachers and visitors bullpent. You cant mess with teh LFL lizards, etc. Hell, the RFL shows up just as well now and does roll call.

msstate7
04-21-2013, 12:50 AM

Edit - I love going 4-4 in the sec and going to the liberty bowl every year, but I would trade that out to win the SEC and NC every 5 years in baseball and pour money into that. We will NEVER spend or outdo bama, auburn, lsu, etc for football. We can in baseball. Possibly basketball. Kentucky doesnt try to beat TENN in football year in and out.....what about basketball?

I agree. We'll never be bama in football or Kentucky in basketball, but we can be the best in baseball. We can be the baseball school of the sec.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-21-2013, 12:51 AM
True, but I was glad Scott took the risk and tried it out. It didn't work so he learned from it and canned it. I think that's a good example of putting his ass on the line with a risky choice to try and put MSU on the cutting edge.

I think it couldve worked but it didnt. They lost their ass.

CadaverDawg
04-21-2013, 12:56 AM
that is a long way away. I think if they even considered that, whoever made that call would lose their job quickly. LFL will always be there. I can see them ****ing around with rfl and the bleachers and visitors bullpent. You cant mess with teh LFL lizards, etc. Hell, the RFL shows up just as well now and does roll call.

I'm confused. So if we aren't planning to change the LFL, and nobody wants too, what are we talking about?

I think we HAVE to keep up with the Joneses when it comes to football because that's where the money is in the SEC. We can still have the best in baseball while being competitive in facilities in football IMO. That's why I agree with Engie, that when we change Dudy, it will be 1st class and Scott will make it badass. I think Scott is perfect for what we need at MSU. He understands our tradition, but he also knows we have to take more risks than some other SEC schools.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-21-2013, 12:59 AM
my thing is I think most know they cant mess with the outfield. Most know everything else needs to start from scratch. How do you get there? How can you do that without missing a season or moving the field 400 yards away?

IMO, renovation of anything we have currently is a waste of money. I hope others see it that way too.

engie
04-21-2013, 11:06 AM
I think you can build a new one in one year... You can certainly at least get in the grandstand structure in that period of time -- Maybe not have the club and skyboxes done in year one -- but have them sold with cga's pledged. The problem and holdup really becomes the demolition of the current structure...Maybe play the last month and first month in Pearl to give you an extra 2 months for demolition...

Hell, leave the current pressbox and skyboxes in place while demolishing everything around them so you don't lose those functions for a year... then tear them down in year 2...

Todd4State
04-21-2013, 12:46 PM
The LFL rigs are not University owned and they are owned independently by fans. Therefore, if I fall off of a rig, it would be like me tripping and falling at someone's tailgating tent. It's not the University's fault.

I know LT tried to do away with the LFL about ten years ago. Some people have even joked that LT built the deck crappily on purpose so that they could say the LFL was a liability.

I'll say this too- if you can drive one of those rigs from Eupora or wherever to Starkville and it doesn't fall apart, it's probably safe.

Coach34
04-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Why cant we just get rid of the bleacher seats and do something different there to add seats and atmosphere?
Why cant we build a structure behind the RF fence like SC for the students?
Why cant we build another bathroom and concession area down the LF line where the bleachers are currently?

We dont have to start over to make some really good improvements to Dudy-Noble

engie
04-21-2013, 01:48 PM
I see all that as lipstick on the pig Coach.

Bottom line -- our skyboxes suck. They need to go -- and we need twice as many. I'm telling you -- the names on the doors up there are names that probably funded the build in the first place. There is/has been near zero turnover up there. You know there is more demand there -- even if names aren't on a waiting list(because they know there is no chance they ever get a box).

Our pressbox sucks. It needs to be torn out, there needs to be chairbacks in that spot, and it needs to be completely redone higher and further from the action.

The bleachers are terrible. We need chairbacks down the foul lines with good sight lines allowing us to sell more season tickets(this virtually can't be done without starting over). We'd sell 8k if we had "good" seating for that many. We've currently got 4300 chairbacks. We need 6500 based on the number of season tickets I think we would sell. Getting butts in the actual seats are a different discussion -- but we need to maximize what we can "sell" and worry about getting the people to actually show up for their seats after that fact. Bulldozing it also allows us to completely get rid of the lifetime seating problem..

I don't like South Carolina's setup nearly as much as I like OM's. Bleachers just provide limited room -- and really nowhere to put coolers without taking away spots. I like berms because tons of people can actually sit on their coolers making it an efficient use of the space. That is untrue for bleachers...

Coach34
04-21-2013, 02:13 PM
well, just depends where we are

I think we have a much better chance of getting something done that costs 3-4 million as opposed to 25 million

engie
04-21-2013, 02:38 PM
I just see 3-4 million as a precursor of wasted money before we spend $25 million. The big money is going to have to be dropped at Dudy Noble IMO -- and it will happen in the next decade as long as we stay relevant.

Once the football stuff is done and the softball/tennis renovations are in place, we will get serious about Dudy Noble -- and it will correspond nicely to increased revenue from the SECNetwork and increased revenue from all the new premium seating in the football expansion...as well as hopefully having a big increase in actual attendance at baseball.

MSU fans aren't going to stand for us "renovating" Dudy Noble and not(again) making it measurably better than Swayze. Just don't see how that is going to be sufficient for our fanbase longterm in the one sport we take tremendous pride in being one of the big boys...

Coach34
04-21-2013, 02:42 PM
I just see 3-4 million as a precursor of wasted money before we spend $25 million. The big money is going to have to be dropped at Dudy Noble IMO -- and it will happen in the next decade as long as we stay relevant.

Once the football stuff is done and the softball/tennis renovations are in place, we will get serious about Dudy Noble -- and it will correspond nicely to increased revenue from the SECNetwork and increased revenue from all the new premium seating in the football expansion...as well as hopefully having a big increase in actual attendance at baseball.

MSU fans aren't going to stand for us "renovating" Dudy Noble and not(again) making it measurably better than Swayze. Just don't see how that is going to be sufficient for our fanbase longterm in the one sport we take tremendous pride in being one of the big boys...

yeah-but we are likely 5 years away at least....and thats a long time to wait for problems that need fixing immediately