PDA

View Full Version : Leach blaming/praising players

Cowbell
11-20-2022, 02:49 PM
After SC demolished rocky top last night, it was really refreshing to hear Beamer speak so highly of his kids and that he had believed in them and really spoke to so many attributes that he believed they had. We saw the same thing out of Heupel in their big wins, same out of Brian Kelly and Sam Pittman in their wins. We've seen it out of Kiffin and even Saban at times.

One person I have yet to see praise for his players from is CML. Even yesterday in a blowout loss, when asked why he thought his team performed so well, he never gave praise. Instead, he took the opportunity to discredit the backups who were given opportunities - the second time he has done so this year. In my opinion it kills all energy. It kills energy within the fanbase. And kids in this generation have to be praised publicly - it's a different generation than the 90s. I have never seen anyone crap on their players more than CML, and Mullen was pretty bad about it at times too.

Really Clark?
11-20-2022, 03:22 PM
He does, you can find it numerous times in video and print. But he will call them out more than some too and can be pretty hard on them. Old school.

Funny side note on how coaches handle that, some of you may remember the old East Marion coach Leslie Peters. You always knew how good his teams were by how bad he bad-mouthed his players. The worse he talked about his teams, they better they were. If he was telling the media and everyone how they can't tackle, didn't know their assignments, lazy, etc., get ready for them to make a run at the state title.

bulldawg28
11-20-2022, 03:23 PM
Typical Leach. It's always about him. He's that old grumpy man.

662dawg
11-20-2022, 03:45 PM
Typical Leach. It's always about him. He's that old grumpy man.

Or maybe we're just living in a society full of py's?

Quaoarsking
11-20-2022, 04:03 PM
Unless you have collected the data with objective definitions of what is and isn't "praise" and "blame," and how Leach compares to a wide cross-section of other coaches and adjusted for on-field results, then this whole point is based on #feelings rather than facts. Not good.

bulldawg28
11-20-2022, 04:08 PM
Or maybe we're just living in a society full of py's?

Maybe, but he's a grumpy old man

MagicDawg
11-20-2022, 04:30 PM
I student taught physics with the man who, in the 80s and 90s, was arguably the best and most successful physics teacher in the state of Mississippi, Paul Cuicchi at Starkville High. He had sarcastic nicknames for almost every kid -- and they loved him for it. He had absurd, tangential rhymes that he used to remind people about equations. He had extremely high, often inflexible, and seemingly grouchy demands. But everyone knew it was his way, and that he was ultimately very effective as a result of it, and that none of it was really about meanness but it was just kind of the character he played.

When my classroom education professors would tell me about the evils of being mean or sarcastic to students, I thought about how I saw Paul Cuicchi be "mean" and "sarcastic" in a way that connected with the students and undermined all of the objections from the credentialed professors.

I'm just saying that sometimes you realize someone has a schtick because they have found that it's their most effective way of connecting their personality and vision with the people they're leading, that affection/respect looks different from person to person, and that leadership is not a cookie-cutter problem.

662dawg
11-20-2022, 05:03 PM
Maybe, but he's a grumpy old man

Not really. I know a few kids that currently play for him & they say differently.

DownwardDawg
11-20-2022, 05:11 PM
I student taught physics with the man who, in the 80s and 90s, was arguably the best and most successful physics teacher in the state of Mississippi, Paul Cuicchi at Starkville High. He had sarcastic nicknames for almost every kid -- and they loved him for it. He had absurd, tangential rhymes that he used to remind people about equations. He had extremely high, often inflexible, and seemingly grouchy demands. But everyone knew it was his way, and that he was ultimately very effective as a result of it, and that none of it was really about meanness but it was just kind of the character he played.

When my classroom education professors would tell me about the evils of being mean or sarcastic to students, I thought about how I saw Paul Cuicchi be "mean" and "sarcastic" in a way that connected with the students and undermined all of the objections from the credentialed professors.

I'm just saying that sometimes you realize someone has a schtick because they have found that it's their most effective way of connecting their personality and vision with the people they're leading, that affection/respect looks different from person to person, and that leadership is not a cookie-cutter problem.
Excellent post.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-20-2022, 05:24 PM
Beamer would have been a great fit at MSU but Cohen wanted to win the press conference

Commercecomet24
11-20-2022, 05:48 PM

This and I can tell you the kids I know on the team love Leach. I'm sure some dint like him but that's with every coach, but there's a ton that love the man.

Percho
11-20-2022, 06:20 PM
Where can I get a good microscope?

Leeshouldveflanked
11-20-2022, 06:28 PM
Moorhead was a players coach.

R2Dawg
11-20-2022, 06:36 PM
Nothing wrong with being hard on players when needed but dogging them to the media is not cool. Do it in the locker room or sidelines. Not saying you have to praise them to media when they screw up but you could do it in a way that doesn't insult them.

It ain't smart, looks childish and not the best representation for your program.

Jackie was a players coach but he didn't put up with crap either.

Todd4State
11-20-2022, 06:39 PM
I've come to the conclusion that there is always going to be at least one MSU fan that is going to be upset with our coaches for "throwing players under the bus" whether that's really the case or not.

Todd4State
11-20-2022, 06:40 PM
This and I can tell you the kids I know on the team love Leach. I'm sure some dint like him but that's with every coach, but there's a ton that love the man.

You mean actual reality is different than fan perception? Interesting.

Commercecomet24
11-20-2022, 06:43 PM
I've come to the conclusion that there is always going to be at least one MSU fan that is going to be upset with our coaches for "throwing players under the bus" whether that's really the case or not.

Yeah I'm guessing some of these folks never watched any Bear Bryant halftime interviews or the old Bear Bryant shows on Sunday afternoon. He was absolutely brutal regarding how his players played. I guess we're a kinder gentler society now.

Commercecomet24
11-20-2022, 06:44 PM
You mean actual reality is different than fan perception? Interesting.

Startling isn't it?

bulldawg28
11-20-2022, 07:29 PM
Not really. I know a few kids that currently play for him & they say differently.

I know players on the team that feel he's outdated. I agree with them.

dotcomdawg
11-20-2022, 07:42 PM
It works for Saban

sandjunky
11-20-2022, 08:08 PM
So they haven?t bought in? 🤔

EdwardDrayton
11-20-2022, 08:19 PM
Thinking he cares about this about as much as Saban.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-20-2022, 08:20 PM
If I’m performing exceptionally well, feel free to tell who you want to. If I’m performing like crap, feel free to tell who you want to. Just don’t lie about my performance.

Catfish
11-20-2022, 08:22 PM
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DvtfREmKBahg&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiTncz--r37AhVrDEQIHQMNAjQQtwJ6BAgIEAE&usg=AOvVaw38U9MprhM4w18PKKmZjiNe

Someone who has hated Leach since he was hired starts a bull crap thread and it escalates.

Bothrops
11-20-2022, 08:55 PM
This is a nothing thread

Cowbell
11-20-2022, 10:11 PM
Yeah I'm guessing some of these folks never watched any Bear Bryant halftime interviews or the old Bear Bryant shows on Sunday afternoon. He was absolutely brutal regarding how his players played. I guess we're a kinder gentler society now.

This is a different day CC. You can keep living in the good ol days but it ain't gonna work and you know it being a baseball coach

Matt3467
11-20-2022, 10:14 PM
Nothing wrong with being hard on players when needed but dogging them to the media is not cool. Do it in the locker room or sidelines. Not saying you have to praise them to media when they screw up but you could do it in a way that doesn't insult them.

It ain't smart, looks childish and not the best representation for your program.

Jackie was a players coach but he didn't put up with crap either.

What's wrong with calling out their fat little girlfriends?

Cowbell
11-20-2022, 10:15 PM
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DvtfREmKBahg&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiTncz--r37AhVrDEQIHQMNAjQQtwJ6BAgIEAE&usg=AOvVaw38U9MprhM4w18PKKmZjiNe

Someone who has hated Leach since he was hired starts a bull crap thread and it escalates.

You might need to check history on here - I've been following leach longer than most anyone on this board having lived in Texas for a while. I liked the hire initially and loved the way he cleaned up our "malcontents" but have quickly grown to realize it ain't gonna work.

Cowbell
11-20-2022, 10:15 PM
So they haven?t bought in? 🤔
Malcontents

Cowbell
12-08-2022, 12:09 AM
Now we are the ones needing to hire a PR Firm.... maybe Cohen can help us out with a 2 for one deal

William Tecumsah Sherman
12-08-2022, 07:31 AM
If players can makes thousands of dollars these days, then they can take the heat. Now, I personally wouldn?t do that as a coach publicly. But these aren?t kids anymore when the can go to highest bidder and make as much money as they do.

Catfish
12-08-2022, 08:13 AM
Beamer would have been a great fit at MSU but Cohen wanted to win the press conference

6-6

Catfish
12-08-2022, 08:14 AM
After SC demolished rocky top last night, it was really refreshing to hear Beamer speak so highly of his kids and that he had believed in them and really spoke to so many attributes that he believed they had. We saw the same thing out of Heupel in their big wins, same out of Brian Kelly and Sam Pittman in their wins. We've seen it out of Kiffin and even Saban at times.

One person I have yet to see praise for his players from is CML. Even yesterday in a blowout loss, when asked why he thought his team performed so well, he never gave praise. Instead, he took the opportunity to discredit the backups who were given opportunities - the second time he has done so this year. In my opinion it kills all energy. It kills energy within the fanbase. And kids in this generation have to be praised publicly - it's a different generation than the 90s. I have never seen anyone crap on their players more than CML, and Mullen was pretty bad about it at times too.

You just love starting Leach hate.

Catfish
12-08-2022, 08:31 AM
You might need to check history on here - I've been following leach longer than most anyone on this board having lived in Texas for a while. I liked the hire initially and loved the way he cleaned up our "malcontents" but have quickly grown to realize it ain't gonna work.

Because you say so.

PGHBulldogBG
12-08-2022, 08:32 AM
I am assuming that anyone complaining about Leach must be under 30 and doesn’t understand what it was like being in college at Miss State and having to sit through 4 years of Croomtastic football.

bulldawg28
12-08-2022, 09:18 AM
I am assuming that anyone complaining about Leach must be under 30 and doesn’t understand what it was like being in college at Miss State and having to sit through 4 years of Croomtastic football.

This is a new day. People don't have time living in the past(fear) of what was. If you live that way you'll never have what could be.

tcdog70
12-08-2022, 09:37 AM
todays Kids would not make it with Bull Sullivan as a Coach.

Extendedcab
12-08-2022, 09:42 AM

Why did you remind me of Croom? I thought my day was starting out good until I had that flashback!

Dawgology
12-08-2022, 09:52 AM
Sounds like some players (and some of you) need a visit from David Goggins.

Quaoarsking
12-08-2022, 04:37 PM
This is a new day. People don't have time living in the past(fear) of what was. If you live that way you'll never have what could be.

Tell that to all the bitter bitches who think that you're "supposed" to play football by running between the tackles and despise Leach because he threatens that worldview.

R2Dawg
12-08-2022, 08:26 PM
What's wrong with calling out their fat little girlfriends?

Ha, Ha. You can't fix stupid.

Coach34
12-08-2022, 10:30 PM
Tell that to all the bitter bitches who think that you're "supposed" to play football by running between the tackles and despise Leach because he threatens that worldview.

lol- there was an interview with a coach the other day in which he talked about what a LOS league the SEC was vs other conferences and how surprised they were by it. Anybody that doesnt understand that doesnt understand football

Cowbell
12-08-2022, 10:33 PM

I sat through every Croom home game....and quite a few away

Cowbell
12-08-2022, 10:34 PM
lol- there was an interview with a coach the other day in which he talked about what a LOS league the SEC was vs other conferences and how surprised they were by it. Anybody that doesnt understand that doesnt understand football

But a tackle should always win on an island with a SEC DE****

Cowbell
12-08-2022, 10:36 PM
You just love starting Leach hate.

Pointing out issues is not hate.

3rd and Hollaway up the middle made me lose my mind but I didn't hate Mullen.

I don't even disapprove of Leach as a HC only. But he needs an OC and he needs to realize that players today have to be handled differently.

Lord McBuckethead
12-09-2022, 09:41 AM
Then you sir are dumb. JK. But seriously, every Croom home game?

Dawgtini
12-09-2022, 10:09 AM

Well they're in the portal now. If not let them know there is no better time than the present!

ImissCityBagel
12-09-2022, 12:09 PM
Well they're in the portal now. If not let them know there is no better time than the present!

What did they mean by outdated? The scheme?

dawgday166
12-09-2022, 12:34 PM
What did they mean by outdated? The scheme?

The "insiders" never give you specifics, always just a lot of vague shit and innuendo that could be interpreted a 1000 ways. That way if something like a player hitting the portal happens, they can say "see what I meant". How many pages of posts happened the last 3 or so days with no specific info at all??? Just a lot of vague shit always.

Here's something I've been impressed with so far with Leach (near as I can tell and is my perception). His coaches seem to like working with/for him and seem loyal. They came intact for the most part from WSU (except Arnett and maybe another). We'll see what happens with Arnett cause lots of folks will move for $$, but I think Arnett is a straight shooter, Leach is a straight shooter, and Freeze is a lying slimy snake and hypocrite. Plus ... Auburn always in turmoil cause they gotta beat Bama.

If the coaches are hanging with him, I place a greater emphasis on that most of the time than I do the players. Players are young and have all kinds of different influences hitting them from all directions all the time. If coaches start bailing like they did with JoMo, then you got bigger problems.

Cowbell
12-09-2022, 12:57 PM
Then you sir are dumb. JK. But seriously, every Croom home game?

I felt dumb after 3-2 auburn / I was a single man and the bucks can only rut where the does are

TorpedoIPA
12-09-2022, 01:00 PM
I think those MSU players that were recruited for a "3 YARDS AND A CLOUD OF DUST" offense have a right to their opinion. The transfer portal is for them.

Now that the guys Leach is recruiting know the deal from day one, they should buy in and this thing will work.

MSU is not going to beat some of their SEC opponents simply trying to do the same thing they do with the disparity in resources and with the caliber of players we can get to come here.

Cowbell
12-09-2022, 01:18 PM
I think those MSU players that were recruited for a "3 YARDS AND A CLOUD OF DUST" offense have a right to their opinion. The transfer portal is for them.

Now that the guys Leach is recruiting know the deal from day one, they should buy in and this thing will work.

MSU is not going to beat some of their SEC opponents simply trying to do the same thing they do with the disparity in resources and with the caliber of players we can get to come here.

Theses RBs weren't recruited thinking they were going to get blown up repeatedly on swing passes due to mis-timed throws by the QB or the fact that our offense is so predictable. So we all need to appreciate whet DJ did here and wish him the best.

Cowbell
12-09-2022, 01:20 PM
All our competition has to do is make a compilation video of all of our running backs getting blown up on swing passes, and we would never recruit a good running back again.

BlackSailsDawg
12-09-2022, 01:43 PM
All our competition has to do is make a compilation video of all of our running backs getting blown up on swing passes, and we would never recruit a good running back again.

Yet we will keep getting RBs to do their jobs.

yjnkdawg
12-09-2022, 01:59 PM
DELETE - Not worth the time to respond too.

Quaoarsking
12-09-2022, 03:15 PM

Why would you even say something like that? Mississippi State fans should not be thinking of ways to put down our program and make it less marketable to recruits.

662dawg
12-09-2022, 03:19 PM
Why would you even say something like that? Mississippi State fans should not be thinking of ways to put down our program and make it less marketable to recruits.

He stole an amazing username that an actual MSU fan could have used. Should be a crime.

Commercecomet24
12-09-2022, 05:02 PM
I felt dumb after 3-2 auburn / I was a single man and the bucks can only rut where the does are

Now that's hilarious! Have some rep!

Cowbell
12-09-2022, 07:34 PM
Now that's hilarious! Have some rep!
Crooms offense was bad but the scenery went undefeated

Cowbell
12-09-2022, 07:38 PM

I'm hoping Kiffin reads this thread and uses my idea to sabotage us