PDA

View Full Version : Engie

msstate7
04-20-2013, 10:30 PM
If we win 3 out of 4 this week, do you think we get in the national seed talk? What would it take to pull it off?

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-20-2013, 10:32 PM
Yes. No doubt. 1.4 for a road win, plus them being top 4 rpi. We would probably move up to top 5 or 6 rpi. We are a national seed then.

Who all is making the drive to nashville? It is a place we can easily take over. Their park is SMALL and their support isnt great.

CadaverDawg
04-20-2013, 10:35 PM
If we win 3 out of 4 this week, do you think we get in the national seed talk? What would it take to pull it off?

Not Engie, but absolutely it would. We are already in the National Seed talk as a team to watch. A series win at Vandy would put us on the inside of the projections I would think.

engie
04-20-2013, 10:36 PM

We already are in the national seed "talk". At this point, we're considered virtual locks to host -- but on the(outside of) bubble as a national seed. All sites have us as one of the first 2-3 out for a national seed right now...

We win 3 of 4 this week, we're a no doubt national seed next week. No question. Keep in mind that road wins in RPI terms count almost twice as much home wins. 1.3win vs 0.7win. -- while such a good team on the road is reflected in the SOS as well. 2 of 3 at Vandy + the Memphis game -- and we're top 6 in RPI and on the correct side of the national seed bubble -- probably as #7 or so...

engie
04-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Yes. No doubt. 1.4 for a road win, plus them being top 4 rpi. We would probably move up to top 5 or 6 rpi. We are a national seed then.

RPI was modified slightly this year for baseball... down to 1.3/0.7... That's one thing that's giving Boyd's formulas so much grief right now...

Still a ridiculous, misleading number for baseball. Actual homefield advantage is something like 1.1/0.9 -- so teams are unfairly compensated for when playing tough games on the road even if/when they lose -- and they are equally penalized by playing/winning tough games at home.

Homedawg
04-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Good stuff engie

msstate7
04-20-2013, 10:48 PM
This team aggravates me as much as any team I can remember because it usually doesn't play up to its potential. I'm predicting this week they do. We're going 3-1 this week and you can officially recognize us as being back.

engie
04-20-2013, 10:53 PM
This team aggravates me as much as any team I can remember because it usually doesn't play up to its potential. I'm predicting this week they do. We're going 3-1 this week and you can officially recognize us as being back.

I'm fine with it -- It means that we aren't peaking too early...

There has been what? 2 times all year? That we could shake their hands and say thanks for the ass whipping? Basically? That tells me all I need to know about where our "ceiling" can be...

CadaverDawg
04-20-2013, 10:55 PM

We definitely find a way to play to our competition at times. The good thing about that is that we should feel great about going in to Vandy and playing with the Dores. We gave LSU more than they wanted, we just beat ourselves...so there is no reason we can't go in and win that series.

I hope you are right. I hope we don't take Memphis too lightly though....we need to take care of business on the road midweek against them.

msstate7
04-20-2013, 10:59 PM
I'm fine with it -- It means that we aren't peaking too early...

There has been what? 2 times all year? That we could shake their hands and say thanks for the ass whipping? Basically? That tells me all I need to know about where our "ceiling" can be...

I like that rea, ct, and Henderson are starting to show life at the plate. Henderson got hot last year down the stretch and I hope he does it again. We've got to settle our right hand dh, 4th starter, and we need a reliever not named Ross or holder to step up. If we get those issues settled, we can easily make a run to cws.

Todd4State
04-20-2013, 11:03 PM
The good news is there is precedent of the NCAA taking three SEC teams as national seeds- I was kind of worried about that with us until I looked it up.

The thing that is so different this year is the fact that the LSU's and Vanderbilts have ridiculous records, but it's at least in part because of the SEC schedule that they play. It's going to be interesting to me to see how the committee looks at that because we don't get to play Missouri, Georgia, or Tennessee. Granted, LSU doesn't have to play Georgia or Tennessee either, and I will give Vanderbilt their due in that they did play Oregon on the road. Of course, LSU doesn't have to play Vanderbilt, and Vanderbilt doesn't have to play Arkansas or LSU.

CadaverDawg
04-20-2013, 11:08 PM
The good news is there is precedent of the NCAA taking three SEC teams as national seeds- I was kind of worried about that with us until I looked it up.

The thing that is so different this year is the fact that the LSU's and Vanderbilts have ridiculous records, but it's at least in part because of the SEC schedule that they play. It's going to be interesting to me to see how the committee looks at that because we don't get to play Missouri, Georgia, or Tennessee. Granted, LSU doesn't have to play Georgia or Tennessee either, and I will give Vanderbilt their due in that they did play Oregon on the road. Of course, LSU doesn't have to play Vanderbilt, and Vanderbilt doesn't have to play Arkansas or LSU.

Todd, based on everything you just posted....

I'm thinking this Vandy series may be more important than we think. We need to at least get 1, so that the committee can see that gap in SEC records bridged a little bit if they are considering us for a National Seed. What you think?

Todd4State
04-20-2013, 11:09 PM
We definitely find a way to play to our competition at times. The good thing about that is that we should feel great about going in to Vandy and playing with the Dores. We gave LSU more than they wanted, we just beat ourselves...so there is no reason we can't go in and win that series.

I hope you are right. I hope we don't take Memphis too lightly though....we need to take care of business on the road midweek against them.

Honestly, as long as we play defense and pitch- we're fine. Normally that's how we get beat. I'm not saying that the offense hasn't had some bad games just that normally when we get beat it has been because we kick the ball around like game 2 of the Auburn series or because we started Evan Mitchell.

Todd4State
04-20-2013, 11:15 PM
Todd, based on everything you just posted....

I'm thinking this Vandy series may be more important than we think. We need to at least get 1, so that the committee can see that gap in SEC records bridged a little bit if they are considering us for a National Seed. What you think?

I think if we win the Vanderbilt series and beat Memphis, we pretty much control our own destiny. If we don't win the Vanderbilt series, we're probably going to need some help and we still are going to have to take care of business.

I still agree with what engie said last week- with a little update- we need to probably sweep Bama, win at least one against Vandy, win two of three against Ole Miss, and then win two of three against South Carolina and of course win our two OOC games.

I have a feeling we're going to be watching Oregon baseball very closely the next few weeks.

CadaverDawg
04-20-2013, 11:20 PM
I think if we win the Vanderbilt series and beat Memphis, we pretty much control our own destiny. If we don't win the Vanderbilt series, we're probably going to need some help and we still are going to have to take care of business.

I still agree with what engie said last week- with a little update- we need to probably sweep Bama, win at least one against Vandy, win two of three against Ole Miss, and then win two of three against South Carolina and of course win our two OOC games.

I have a feeling we're going to be watching Oregon baseball very closely the next few weeks.

Oregon is down again to UCLA 1-0 in the 8th by the way.

engie
04-20-2013, 11:25 PM
Oregon St had 2 inexplicable losses to Washington already -- and Oregon is on the ropes against UCLA. Good for us if a couple of these teams ahead of us start to falter.

I still think we overtake CSF if we take care of business. Their schedule is just such a joke down the stretch...

CadaverDawg
04-20-2013, 11:45 PM
Oregon St had 2 inexplicable losses to Washington already -- and Oregon is on the ropes against UCLA. Good for us if a couple of these teams ahead of us start to falter.

I still think we overtake CSF if we take care of business. Their schedule is just such a joke down the stretch...

Oregon lost 1-0.

LSU and Bama tied 8-8 in the 16th!