PDA

View Full Version : OT: Little Dooey

BogeyGolfer
11-27-2013, 09:32 AM
I was in Starkville yesterday and decided to give LD a try since it's been 10 years or so since I have actually went inside to eat. I've read the poor comments on here and on the pack but really didn't believe it. Well, you guys were right. My complaints:

1. Shitty service - My young daughter and I went in at 11:15 and maybe three other people in the building and the manager walked by at least 5 times and did not speak. No one spoke as I entered and the whole staff just acted like they didn't give a 17. I understand employing students and mainly having students as customers will make a staff have a shitty attitude at times but I'm still spending my money in your shitty establishment at least act like you give a 17.

2. The food is just not that good... I would rather eat at Sonic and that's not an exaggeration.

3. I understand that this is one of those gimmick places but I won't be back...

4. The outside patio looked nice and I'm sure it is in the summer but damn whoever owns this place has cashed in on all the hype...

Will James
11-27-2013, 09:34 AM
I disagree.

sleepy dawg
11-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Yep... I first ate there in 2001. Me and my future roommate went to Starkville for orientation, and he suggested going to the famous bbq place. I said, "Petty's?" He said, "No, Little Dooey's." Of course I obliged. It only took one bite to realize this place was a joke compared to the quality bbq Petty's was offering.

Note: I've heard in recent years that Pettys is not what it used to be either. I have not tried for myself.

Jack Lambert
11-27-2013, 09:38 AM
I was in Starkville yesterday and decided to give LD a try since it's been 10 years or so since I have actually went inside to eat. I've read the poor comments on here and on the pack but really didn't believe it. Well, you guys were right. My complaints:

1. Shitty service - My young daughter and I went in at 11:15 and maybe three other people in the building and the manager walked by at least 5 times and did not speak. No one spoke as I entered and the whole staff just acted like they didn't give a 17. I understand employing students and mainly having students as customers will make a staff have a shitty attitude at times but I'm still spending my money in your shitty establishment at least act like you give a 17.

2. The food is just not that good... I would rather eat at Sonic and that's not an exaggeration.

3. I understand that this is one of those gimmick places but I won't be back...

4. The outside patio looked nice and I'm sure it is in the summer but damn whoever owns this place has cashed in on all the hype...

I am thinking about trying the new Twin Peaks in Jackson. I heard it was a slutty Hooters with better tasting food. Is there any truth to that?

Political Hack
11-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Petty's was fine just a few weeks back. We got catfish and a burger and both we're good. Unfortunately we didn't try the BBQ.

I love LD's sauce and sides, but their service has been very suspect at times over the years. I've never had issues with their BBQ either.

Coach34
11-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Pettys is so much better- not even a contest

Will James
11-27-2013, 09:53 AM
I love LD's sauce and sides, but their service has been very suspect at times over the years. I've never had issues with their BBQ either.

Not understanding the "service" problems. You order and sit down and they bring you your food. NEVER have had an issue with food taking very long, which is the only service aspect of it. Someone didn't talk to you? So.. it's Little Dooey, not a very interactive establishment.

BBQ, sauce, and sides are good and thats all that matters here.

ckDOG
11-27-2013, 09:56 AM
I'm a Petty's man myself. I've never been a fan of the BBQ at Lil Dooey. The sides are pretty solid though.

Coach34
11-27-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm a Petty's man myself. I've never been a fan of the BBQ at Lil Dooey. The sides are pretty solid though.

BBQ- Pettys
Sides- LD

But I dont go to a BBQ place for the sides.

BeastMan
11-27-2013, 10:00 AM
One thing about a BBQ joint is that people have completely different taste and that's what forms their opinions on who they like. Every BBQ joint in the world says they have the best pork, ribs, etc... and a size able portion of their clientele will agree. I like both Petty's and LD, just depends on what I'm in the mood for.

Political Hack
11-27-2013, 10:00 AM
I've waited on my food at my table for over 30 minutes before, and nearly that long several times. when you stand in line to order at a counter you shouldn't have to wait that long.

C222
11-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Petty's is legit.

BeastMan
11-27-2013, 10:13 AM
I know this is slight hijack but Dickie's BBQ (chain, 1 in Madison) has the most horrendous setup known to man. They have pretty good brisket but I skip them many times b/c of their design. You can't checkout of the line until you have your food (which takes 20-30 mins at peak hours) and when you checkout you have to carry trays of food and prepare BBQ sauce in little portion cups and your drink while lugging the tray of food. Not to mention idiot people who send their 10 year old to camp at a table while they wait in the 20-30 line and you're standing their holding your food. Decent food but the design and flow of things ruins it

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
11-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Agree to disagree here I guess.

1. I go to restaurants to eat a good meal and enjoy conversation with my family, friends, or whoever I'm with. Couldn't care less if the manager goes around buttering up each table. You've obviously never worked at a restaurant if that offends you. It certainly doesn't hurt if they have good service and are super friendly. But at a place like that, it's basically order in a line quickly, they bring your food, you eat it and refill your own drinks at will. No real need or opportunity for above and beyond customer service. I have had one loud, scowling girl one time at the cashier, but that was a couple years ago - haven't seen her back. Many employees are students - not all of them will be warm, smiling angels.

2. I love the food - the Dooey Combo has never let me down, and the sides (beans, tater salad, and okra) are pretty good.

3. If you say so. Kirk Herbstreit put it at #2 on his list of top 10 college restaurants and I met Todd Blackledge there in 2011 - he was loving it. Call it a gimmick if you will, but it wouldn't be packed out so often if it was just a gimmick.

4. Not sure what you want them to do with the patio in the fall and winter - tear it down and rebuild it when it warms back up?

mjh94
11-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Petty's is legit.

bbq grilled cheese. that is all.

http://gardenandgun.com/files/GG0311_bbqsandwich_08.jpg

Barking 13
11-27-2013, 10:21 AM
If there was a Jim and Nick's in Starkville, people would drive past LD to get to it... The LD in Columbus sux too. I only eat there when a vendor insists, and pays for it...

Political Hack
11-27-2013, 10:25 AM
y'all need to try DBA's BBQ in Virginia Highlands next time you're in Atlanta. Order the fried pickles app, some cheese grits as a side, and your BBQ of choice. You can also pick from several different flavors of moonshine if you'd like.

BeastMan
11-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Agree to disagree here I guess.

1. I go to restaurants to eat a good meal and enjoy conversation with my family, friends, or whoever I'm with. Couldn't care less if the manager goes around buttering up each table. You've obviously never worked at a restaurant if that offends you. It certainly doesn't hurt if they have good service and are super friendly. But at a place like that, it's basically order in a line quickly, they bring your food, you eat it and refill your own drinks at will. No real need or opportunity for above and beyond customer service. I have had one loud, scowling girl one time at the cashier, but that was a couple years ago - haven't seen her back. Many employees are students - not all of them will be warm, smiling angels.

2. I love the food - the Dooey Combo has never let me down, and the sides (beans, tater salad, and okra) are pretty good.

3. If you say so. Kirk Herbstreit put it at #2 on his list of top 10 college restaurants and I met Todd Blackledge there in 2011 - he was loving it. Call it a gimmick if you will, but it wouldn't be packed out so often if it was just a gimmick.

4. Not sure what you want them to do with the patio in the fall and winter - tear it down and rebuild it when it warms back up?

Your #1 says so much. In a good way...

FlabLoser
11-27-2013, 10:32 AM
LD had a bad stretch years ago when they tried to focus on franchising and their sauce when to some manfactured in-a-jar stuff. At some point, LD went back to its old school greatness.

So I'm a LD fan. I like Petty's too, but I like LD's sauce better. Sauce makes the BBQ.

Last time I tried, LD catfish was real good. But I have a problem going to LD and not ordering BBQ.

TrueMaroon
11-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Dooey is living on reputation. I love their fried green tomatoes(Best in Starkville hands down) and I like their fried onions and tamales, but the meat is no different than any other meet I have had elsewhere.

AROB44
11-27-2013, 10:35 AM
I prefer Petty's too. Had some right before the Bama game. The worst is that Dreamland crap sold in the stadium....just not edible. Never understood the love for Dreamland's BBQ.

drummerdawg
11-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Tried LD's a few times, and been disappointed every time.

civildawg
11-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Little Dewey is the most overrated place in starkville. The best BBQ in starkville to me is Morrises (sp?) it's right by MSU golf coarse and is basically run out of a family's house.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
11-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Never been there (Little Dewey). Is it better or worse than Little Dooey?

dawgs
11-27-2013, 11:10 AM
in the great LD v. petty's debate, i grew up a petty's guy. my favorite thing at LD was always the catfish. haven't eaten LD in years though, but did eat petty's last time i was home, and it was still great.

471dawg
11-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Went to lil dooeys before lsu game horrible horrible service,me and my twin brothers all got the rib plate it looked tasty took a bite outta the potato salad I said man I've tasted this before thought about it for a second yep it was the potato salad u buy from Kroger , The beans we're showboat beans uggghhhh cold as ice I might add, and to top it off the ribs were so greasy I thought they were deep fried instead of smoked ,little dooeys is overrated in my opinion but I can assure I'll never go back

dawgs
11-27-2013, 11:20 AM
sonny's used to have the best bbq sauce in starkville, and imo, some of the best bbq sauce i've ever tasted. unfortunately the sauce recipe died when sonny died, and his family could never get it right again.

OldFatDog
11-27-2013, 11:21 AM
I am thinking about trying the new Twin Peaks in Jackson. I heard it was a slutty Hooters with better tasting food. Is there any truth to that?
Twin Peaks is confusing. Doesnt know what the hell it wants to be. It is some blended version of Hooters, Cracker Barrell, BWW and Sonic. Except Sonic has better burgers. And Cracker Barrell has better country fried steak. And Hooters has the same titties. And BWW has the same beer. I went once and am in no rush to go back. And I really like titties, burgers, country fried steak, and beer. Just packaged sort of goofy at Twin Peaks.

reddog
11-27-2013, 11:30 AM
BBQ- Pettys
Sides- LD

But I dont go to a BBQ place for the sides.

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Outside Dawg
11-27-2013, 11:57 AM
The both have their place. I enjoy both. Speaking of Petty's though, I ran across this a while back.

Page 9 of 20. http://gardenandgun.com/gallery/bbq-sandwiches

Original48
11-27-2013, 11:58 AM
I know this is slight hijack but Dickie's BBQ (chain, 1 in Madison) has the most horrendous setup known to man. They have pretty good brisket but I skip them many times b/c of their design. You can't checkout of the line until you have your food (which takes 20-30 mins at peak hours) and when you checkout you have to carry trays of food and prepare BBQ sauce in little portion cups and your drink while lugging the tray of food. Not to mention idiot people who send their 10 year old to camp at a table while they wait in the 20-30 line and you're standing their holding your food. Decent food but the design and flow of things ruins it
Just went there for the first time Sunday after church. Yikes. Everything you said is correct. Also, I didn't appreciate the heavy set older women hovering behind me waiting for my family to finish our meal so she could grab the table. I swear when I scooted my chair back to get up her tray hit the table.

biscuit
11-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Little Dewey is the most overrated place in starkville. The best BBQ in starkville to me is Morrises (sp?) it's right by MSU golf coarse and is basically run out of a family's house.

It's on 16th section road. Ole Bobby cooks up a dam fine brisket.

hailmari
11-27-2013, 12:38 PM
I actually prefer to be left alone when I go out to eat, but I've always had workers come by and ask if everything is good or if I need a refill there. You may have gone at a bad hour with less than great workers there. As for the food, LD's pulled pork has zero flavor by itself. The sauce is really good but I have to squirt on half a bottle. Sometimes their buns will be too soggy to even hold and I can't stand that. Catfish and sides are always solid though. I do enjoy the atmosphere at LDs.

I love Petty's BBQ nachos and catfish plates like they're family. Brisket is solid too. Their pulled pork plate has always been too fatty for me though, not sure if it's like that for everybody. They could use better sides for sure.

Being from the Memphis area, I don't think Starkville has anything close to a great BBQ joint, just serviceable. Somebody needs to cash in on this.

Original48
11-27-2013, 12:40 PM
me and my twin brothers all got the rib plate
Wouldn't that make y'all triplets?

hailmari
11-27-2013, 12:46 PM

I've been here for five years and have never heard of it. I'll have to check it out.

Btw, nobody's mentioned Three Little Pigs- it was decent when it first opened, I haven't been back in over a year or maybe two. I know it's changed owners but I never hear anything about it.

quickstrike2
11-27-2013, 01:17 PM
I went there quite a bit while in college. I always just considered it a good average place to eat. Never was just wowed by it, and never was just real disappointed. I assumed it got its popularity from ESPN always making mention of it which is fine. Usually if parents or friends came up, they usually wanted to eat there because of the name recognition.

starkvegasdawg
11-27-2013, 01:34 PM
I've been here for five years and have never heard of it. I'll have to check it out.

Btw, nobody's mentioned Three Little Pigs- it was decent when it first opened, I haven't been back in over a year or maybe two. I know it's changed owners but I never hear anything about it.
This place makes convenience store BBQ more appealing.

Dawgface
11-27-2013, 01:50 PM
I've never had a problem with LD. Not the best, but not bad either.

Since we are talking BBQ, I'm going to put in a plug for my nephew's bbq. Moes Original BBQ. His locations are in Orange Beach, Daphne and downtown Mobile. But they have locations in a lot of areas.....Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Huntsville, Atlanta, several in Colorado and other areas. I picked up some of their smoked turkey last week when I was on the coast and will be having it tomorrow. Obviously I'm prejudice, but I think their stuff in pretty darn good. ;)

http://www.moesoriginalbbq.com/

BogeyGolfer
11-27-2013, 02:09 PM
I've never had a problem with LD. Not the best, but not bad either.

Since we are talking BBQ, I'm going to put in a plug for my nephew's bbq. Moes Original BBQ. His locations are in Orange Beach, Daphne and downtown Mobile. But they have locations in a lot of areas.....Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Huntsville, Atlanta, several in Colorado and other areas. I picked up some of their smoked turkey last week when I was on the coast and will be having it tomorrow. Obviously I'm prejudice, but I think their stuff in pretty darn good. ;)

http://www.moesoriginalbbq.com/

I've seen those but have never tried it... I will defiantly give it a try next time. I'm not big on gimmicky restaurants like Lambert's in Foley and Lu Lu's where everything is average and the food is overpriced but I will try Moe's next time we are down.

FlabLoser
11-27-2013, 02:38 PM
This place makes convenience store BBQ more appealing.

Across MS, some gas stations have pretty good soul food. Like that gas station with Cock Of The Walk catfish Louisville. Pump the breaks, I'm not saying it's the best. It's good. There are many others, especially with fried chicken and tater logs.

It's gotta be MS thing. Or a southern thing. I've not been to many other states where you could consider a meal at a gas station.

Dawgface
11-27-2013, 02:49 PM
I've seen those but have never tried it... I will defiantly give it a try next time. I'm not big on gimmicky restaurants like Lambert's in Foley and Lu Lu's where everything is average and the food is overpriced but I will try Moe's next time we are down.

Hope you like it. Everyone has different taste when it comes to bbq.

Here's an interesting segment that was on HLN with one of the original owners. The trailer he refers to was all they had in 2003 when my brother and myself went out to Vail to visit my nephew. He was managing another restaurant at the time but was doing some moonlighting with Moe's. After eating some of their bbq, my brother and I told him if he ever had a chance to get in on this, we would loan him some money to open up one somewhere. So he came to Orange Beach in 2006 and later added his other two a few years later. Amazing how this business has grown over the last 10 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h35tA1kXGVQ

Drugdog
11-27-2013, 04:21 PM
BBQ at the corner of 55 and Northside drive is Amazing. It won best BBQ on The food network for Mississippi a few years ago.