PDA

View Full Version : Pine Box Part 2

PikeDawg15
11-13-2022, 10:11 PM
Things are happening in Auburn alabama as we speak

BeardoMSU
11-13-2022, 10:22 PM
Things are happening in Auburn alabama as we speak

Definitely some weirdness on the Twitter Twitterverse, but nothing tangible...

William Tecumsah Sherman
11-13-2022, 10:28 PM
Brandon Walker is stirring the pot! Lol

CadaverDawg
11-13-2022, 10:38 PM
Cohen is their AD now...this is like Schloss to State. Auburn better prepare for Missouri's Offensive Coordinator. He's a sneaky good hire I'm sure**

BeardoMSU
11-13-2022, 10:44 PM
Ominous...

https://twitter.com/UnnecRoughness/status/1591994539639992322?t=fFLHXwH7qSbBA2A-yn3dmA&s=19

DownwardDawg
11-13-2022, 10:44 PM
Cohen is their AD now...this is like Schloss to State. Auburn better prepare for Missouri's Offensive Coordinator. He's a sneaky good hire I'm sure**

Lol. Well played.

Matt3467
11-13-2022, 10:49 PM
Reports are that Moorhead was seen getting in a limo with Cohen outside of a Zales.

CadaverDawg
11-13-2022, 10:50 PM
Reports are that Moorhead was seen getting in a limo with Cohen outside of a Zales.

Lol!

Auburn fans better get some steel toed boots to prepare for that rock kickin

Goldendawg
11-14-2022, 01:03 AM
Definitely some weirdness on the Twitter Twitterverse, but nothing tangible...

Pine box 1 followed by Pine Box 2 couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

PikeDawg15
11-14-2022, 04:49 PM
Its Kiffin or Bust for them

Word is they passed on Freeze because of the Background check.

Todd4State
11-14-2022, 05:14 PM

They needed to do a background check?**

99jc
11-14-2022, 05:22 PM
There is one candidate, however, that has not publicly stated interest in the Auburn job, but has not silenced the rumors, either. That would be Ole Miss head coach, Lane Kiffin.

Kiffin, who is known to poke fun at certain situations that arise throughout the SEC, has not tweeted about the Auburn opening, in either a positive or a negative fashion. Could there be a reason for that? One SEC football expert believes so.

Paul Finebaum, SEC Network analyst and radio show host joined the Monday edition of “McElroy and Cubelic in the Morning” on Jox 94.5 in Birmingham to recap the week that was in SEC football. Among those topics, was Lane Kiffin’s potential interest in the vacant Auburn head coaching position. Based on a recent conversation, Finebaum feels that Kiffin has thought strongly about pursuing the opportunity.

“It’s just my observation that Lane Kiffin is thinking about it,” Finebaum said Monday. “The subject came up in one circumstance that I was in. He just kind of nodded his head and shook his head as Lane likes to do. He’s been very careful not to say anything about it. I don’t think there’s any doubt that it’s on his mind.”

Kiffin joins Liberty head coach Hugh Freeze as an outside name that has gotten the most attention since Bryan Harsin’s firing on Oct. 31. However, interim coach Cadillac Williams has quickly become a favorite amongst current and former Tiger players. The sweepstakes appears to be an open book until the end of the month.

TrapGame
11-14-2022, 05:23 PM

They called Tunsil.***

yjnkdawg
11-14-2022, 05:41 PM

BAckground check = SEC Office.

yjnkdawg
11-14-2022, 05:42 PM

LOL Auburn doing a background check on a coach is funny.

yjnkdawg
11-14-2022, 05:45 PM

Cohen is Apple and Yellawood's puppet now.

PGHBulldogBG
11-14-2022, 06:01 PM
I would be surprised in an announcement is made before the regular season is over. Particularly if it’s a head coach at a current d1 school. If it’s coach Prime it might come this week

yjnkdawg
11-14-2022, 07:05 PM
I would be surprised in an announcement is made before the regular season is over. Particularly if it’s a head coach at a current d1 school. If it’s coach Prime it might come this week

Kiffin is Auburn's No 1 choice and they are going to make Kiffin tell them he doesn't want the job. Money ain't an issue. Prime is supposedly interested in the job but does Auburn share that interest and is he actually on their list? Nobody outside those making the hire probably know that.

PMDawg
11-14-2022, 07:10 PM
SEC football expert

Paul Finebaum,

LMAO

Leeshouldveflanked
11-14-2022, 07:27 PM
Cohen is Apple and Yellawood's puppet now.
I didn?t think the Apple guy was interested in sports?

viverlibre
11-14-2022, 07:51 PM

very interested in the players.

yjnkdawg
11-15-2022, 12:07 AM

Well Cook was considered one of the top athletic boosters (Auburn) in the country last year, and he spoke to the Auburn football team the day before the Iron Bowl last year, but maybe he isn't. Yellawood is the top Auburn booster. Bobby Lowder used to be. He used to basically own Auburn from what some said.

PikeDawg15
11-17-2022, 11:03 AM
Certain Media heads are saying its a done deal. After the egg bowl though

TrapGame
11-17-2022, 11:25 AM
Certain Media heads are saying its a done deal. After the egg bowl though

There's some chatter on a couple of AU boards saying the same. They are also saying maybe not until after the Iron Bowl b/c AU doesn't want to take away from Cadillac's big day. But, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it starts leaking out about Weds of next week.

PGHBulldogBG
11-17-2022, 11:29 AM
It would make sense for Kiffin to go to Auburn just like it made sense for Mullen to go to UF. These coaches want to coach at a school with easier resources than State or Ole Miss to win a National Championship. I think the big issue is the way coaches go about doing it.

BeardoMSU
11-17-2022, 11:32 AM
There's some chatter on a couple of AU boards saying the same. They are also saying maybe not until after the Iron Bowl b/c AU doesn't want to take away from Cadillac's big day. But, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it starts leaking out about Weds of next week.

If it happens, he's going to take all the OM talent with him; Judkins for sure. I wonder about Dart since he's already transferred, tho...what does he do?

gtowndawg
11-17-2022, 11:36 AM
Some Twitter media accounts are saying it's a done deal. Kiffin to Auburn.

BeardoMSU
11-17-2022, 11:47 AM
Some Twitter media accounts are saying it's a done deal. Kiffin to Auburn.

I haven't seen anything like that from a remotely reputable media person/outlet. Who/where did you see this?

yjnkdawg
11-17-2022, 11:50 AM
If it happens, he's going to take all the OM talent with him; Judkins for sure. I wonder about Dart since he's already transferred, tho...what does he do?

Depends on if Dart wants to sit out a year to play for Kiffin and Auburn. I agree on Judkins. He would go and maybe a few more players.

yjnkdawg
11-17-2022, 11:54 AM
It would make sense for Kiffin to go to Auburn just like it made sense for Mullen to go to UF. These coaches want to coach at a school with easier resources than State or Ole Miss to win a National Championship. I think the big issue is the way coaches go about doing it.

He also doesn't like Mississippi's 4 year maximum on contracts or the OM NIL initiative and participation.

Johnson85
11-17-2022, 12:08 PM
Depends on if Dart wants to sit out a year to play for Kiffin and Auburn. I agree on Judkins. He would go and maybe a few more players.

Didn't Auburn pass on Judkins out of high school? That could possibly still have a bad taste. Wouldn't make a lot of sense for him to hold that grudge now that the coaching staff has changed over, but wouldn't be shocked by it.

Santiago
11-17-2022, 12:36 PM

He won't have to sit out a year. Auburn sites have already been posting about the current transfer rules, and feel that if he just turns in the paperwork and reasoning that his coach left in the first year there, that the NCAA will allow it.

Santiago
11-17-2022, 12:36 PM
Ole Miss will have to hire someone like Lebby

WhiskeyPirate
11-17-2022, 12:39 PM
Didn't Auburn pass on Judkins out of high school? That could possibly still have a bad taste. Wouldn't make a lot of sense for him to hold that grudge now that the coaching staff has changed over, but wouldn't be shocked by it.

Judkins will take the pay day at Auburn and follow Kiffin. This is a done deal.

Ole Miss is going to be in ruins when this thing is over.

Santiago
11-17-2022, 12:43 PM
Judkins will take the pay day at Auburn and follow Kiffin. This is a done deal.

Ole Miss is going to be in ruins when this thing is over.

Can a coach like Lebby keep Dart at Ole Miss? According to Auburn 247 staff writers, Dart will be able to transfer without sitting out. They say the NCAA right now does not want lawsuits.

I wonder if Dante Dowdell will then go to Auburn with Lane instead of Oregon.

Santiago
11-17-2022, 12:44 PM
Another thing, Lane did not meet with recruits last Saturday before the Bama game. The bears have tried to cover it up saying he was just too focused on playing Bama.

Goldendawg
11-17-2022, 12:54 PM
If Lane does leave with best players, leaving OM in turmoil, we sure better take advantage of it. We did little to build on this type opportunity in years past! Hail State!

Pancho
11-17-2022, 01:01 PM

It's my understanding that Dart can transfer and play immediately without penalty if the HC leaves regardless of whether he follows the coach to the same school

Tbonewannabe
11-17-2022, 01:06 PM
Rumor from an Auburn guy at work is that Kiffin is getting somewhere around 10 years and $120 Mil. If that is even remotely true then Ole Miss has no chance to keep him.

The state of Mississippi needs to do something or us and Ole Miss will always be a stepping stone job.

Goldendawg
11-17-2022, 01:07 PM
It's my understanding that Dart can transfer and play immediately without penalty if the HC leaves regardless of whether he follows the coach to the same school

I bet the NFLPA wishes the pro players had the same freedom of movement as the college players. This is a joke. You dang sure aren't going to know the players without the roster year to year using your phone for info !

Goldendawg
11-17-2022, 01:09 PM
Rumor from an Auburn guy at work is that Kiffin is getting somewhere around 10 years and $120 Mil. If that is even remotely true then Ole Miss has no chance to keep him.

The state of Mississippi needs to do something or us and Ole Miss will always be a stepping stone job.

Yeah, one of us could have Jimbo locked in for 9 more years, never mind.***** I gotta add, Croom or JoMO in a 10 year deal.** Better get a good buyout or protections for the school in any contract, which seems almost impossible in today's big $, big name coach, big agent world.

PikeDawg15
11-17-2022, 01:14 PM

Correct my good sir

Updated transfer portal rules in 2020 stated that a UnderGraduate that has already used one transfer request, can only transfer before he graduates IF his head coach is either fired or leaves for another job.

If that happens, the entire team that has eligibility left can transfer anywhere in the country they want to transfer.

BeardoMSU
11-17-2022, 01:17 PM
If that happens, the entire team that has eligibility left can transfer anywhere in the country they want to transfer.

Who would want to, though? I mean, have you seen the Grove?**

Goldendawg
11-17-2022, 01:21 PM
Who would want to, though? I mean, have you seen the Grove?**

AU has nice big trees at Toomer's Corner. Wait......... Nevermind, don't want Arbor Society on my case.******

TUSK
11-17-2022, 02:23 PM
AU has nice big trees at Toomer's Corner. Wait......... Nevermind, don't want Arbor Society on my case.******

Damn you.

Outstanding.

Leroy Jenkins
11-17-2022, 03:00 PM

I have never heard of the contract term being an issue with any coach.

Did you really want Coenz to have the authority to be negotiating 10 year deals?

TrapGame
11-17-2022, 03:22 PM
Ten year deals is where Jimmy Sexton gets your ass over a barrel. (See Jimbo Fisher.)

Johnson85
11-17-2022, 03:57 PM
I have never heard of the contract term being an issue with any coach.

Did you really want Coenz to have the authority to be negotiating 10 year deals?

You don't think coaches care about having more guaranteed versus less?

Leroy Jenkins
11-17-2022, 05:33 PM
You don't think coaches care about having more guaranteed versus less?

I've just never heard a coach turn down a job because the contract wasn't long enough. Mississippi's contract laws are like a boogeyman that fans talk about, but doesn't really have an effect. At least I cant think of an example.

starkvegasdawg
11-17-2022, 07:55 PM
I've just never heard a coach turn down a job because the contract wasn't long enough. Mississippi's contract laws are like a boogeyman that fans talk about, but doesn't really have an effect. At least I cant think of an example.

It can never be too long or too big.

Catfish
11-17-2022, 08:03 PM
It can never be too long or too big.

LOL, nope, not going there.

Tbonewannabe
11-18-2022, 07:05 AM

At the end of the day, it all ends with guaranteed money. Ole Miss can tell Kiffin that they promise to extend him but 2 seasons of 3-9 and losing the Egg Bowl gets him fired.

There isn't anyone on this board that takes 4 years $40 Mil over 10 years $100 Mil unless you just love gambling.

Johnson85
11-18-2022, 11:00 AM

It probably doesn't come into play that often. Neither State nor Ole Miss is going to lose a coach to a school that's not a blue blood or just a notch below them (e.g., UTenn or Auburn) unless a relationship has soured. And at the end of the day, the coaches are going to go there because they want the resources to win a championship. I will say in competing with a place like Auburn, which is nto a true blue blood and has to deal with expectations of anybody that doesn't dethrone Saban will get fired, being able to offer a longer contract could be the deciding factor. If Auburn offers $8M a year for 8 years with 100% guaranteed, if Mississippi offers $8M a year for 8 years with 100% guaranteed and a buyout on Kiffin's side that leaves him teh flexibility to jump relatively painlessly if a true blue blood comes calling, that could be a deciding factor.

PikeDawg15
11-18-2022, 11:05 AM
It probably doesn't come into play that often. Neither State nor Ole Miss is going to lose a coach to a school that's not a blue blood or just a notch below them (e.g., UTenn or Auburn) unless a relationship has soured. And at the end of the day, the coaches are going to go there because they want the resources to win a championship. I will say in competing with a place like Auburn, which is nto a true blue blood and has to deal with expectations of anybody that doesn't dethrone Saban will get fired, being able to offer a longer contract could be the deciding factor. If Auburn offers $8M a year for 8 years with 100% guaranteed, if Mississippi offers $8M a year for 8 years with 100% guaranteed and a buyout on Kiffin's side that leaves him teh flexibility to jump relatively painlessly if a true blue blood comes calling, that could be a deciding factor.

Ole miss just offered 9.5 per year yesterday according to supertalk

Auburn will probably go up to 11 per year 7-8 year contract

AlSwearengen
11-18-2022, 11:08 AM
If nothing else, this will put a strain on olemiss’ pocket book or several of their boosters will just ratchet up the fraud.

Kylesandi338
11-18-2022, 11:10 AM
Kiffin not accepting Ole miss offer immediately speaks VOLUME!!

RiverCityDawg
11-18-2022, 11:18 AM

Fully guaranteed contracts for coaches are a newer market dynamic. There used to be a buyout less than the full value of the contract, but guys like Jimbo and Mel Tucker getting these monster guaranteed deals has changed that.

If Auburn offers 10 million per for 6 years guaranteed, ole miss would have to offer 15 per year to match the contract value. They just can't compete. Same would be true for us.

Johnson85
11-18-2022, 12:02 PM
Fully guaranteed contracts for coaches are a newer market dynamic. There used to be a buyout less than the full value of the contract, but guys like Jimbo and Mel Tucker getting these monster guaranteed deals has changed that.

If Auburn offers 10 million per for 6 years guaranteed, ole miss would have to offer 15 per year to match the contract value. They just can't compete. Same would be true for us.

I think Sumlin got a 100% guarantee? I think he was the first one I remember, assuming I actually remember that correctly.

And to nit pick, Ole Miss wouldn't have to go to $15M to match the contract value. $15M guaranteed per year for 4 years is a much higher value contract than $10M guaranteed per year over 6 years, even though the total guaranteed money is the same. That two years is a huge difference.

What the per year number would need to be to make that 4 year contract the same value as a 6 year contract will differ by coach, but I think it's closer to $10M than $15M usually. And I think this is why you see MSU extending a coach out to 4 years pretty much every year unless something is wrong. Extending the contract out to 4 years each year basically turns our 4 year contract into a 5 year contract. And if they don't tank, it makes a six year contract relatively likely. Certainly a far cry from a guarantee, but it probably helps on the margins.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-18-2022, 12:05 PM
4 years is a long enough contract.

Goldendawg
11-18-2022, 12:09 PM
4 years is a long enough contract.

Especially when it gets rolled over to 4 again after each season. I would have hated to have had Croom or JoMo in an 8 to 10 deal unless you have the buyout heavily in your favor.

DawgFromOxford
11-18-2022, 12:20 PM
I would have hated to have had Croom or JoMo in an 8 to 10 deal unless you have the buyout heavily in your favor.

Amen. I'm a fan of the 4 year contract limits. Face it, the schools in Mississippi will always be stepping stones for coaches that get poached by blue bloods. The only coach who wouldn't use us or OM as a stepping stone is a coach that is truly committed to that school regardless of money or other opportunities, which I would say is pretty rare. So you either get a coach that doesn't care about a 10 year contract because he's fully committed or you get stuck with a coach undeserving of a 10 year contract because he's not good enough to get poached. Any elite coach isn't going to stay at a Mississippi school whether we can match contract terms or not when a blue blood comes calling.

R2Dawg
11-18-2022, 12:34 PM
Kiffin not accepting Ole miss offer immediately speaks VOLUME!!

Yeah, he shopping ala Mullen.

Which means egg bowl could get interesting. Remember MSU having better teams laying the egg with Mullen not engaged?

Coach34
11-18-2022, 12:38 PM
We’ve had 2 coaches in the Big 3 combined use us as a stepping stone in the last 40 years

We are not a stepping stone

TrapGame
11-18-2022, 12:42 PM
Yeah, he shopping ala Mullen.

Which means egg bowl could get interesting. Remember MSU having better teams laying the egg with Mullen not engaged?

I wish they could experience an Egg where the rumors were flying hot and heavy they were losing their coach.

Johnson85
11-18-2022, 12:49 PM
We’ve had 2 coaches in the Big 3 combined use us as a stepping stone in the last 40 years

Also, McMahon was going back "home" considering he grew up in Jacksonville. Not sure how many other coaches would really leave MSU baseball. Certainly not the best job before because of scholarship limitations and NIL now, but pretty much a terminal job.

We're not a "terminal" job in Football or men's basketball, but there are only maybe a dozen? a dozen and a half? schools that can really poach from us. Just too few coaches are going to do well enough anywhere to get thsoe jobs and there is a lot of luck involved as far as being on a good stretch at the right time when the right job comes open.

RiverCityDawg
11-18-2022, 01:31 PM
I think Sumlin got a 100% guarantee? I think he was the first one I remember, assuming I actually remember that correctly.

And to nit pick, Ole Miss wouldn't have to go to $15M to match the contract value. $15M guaranteed per year for 4 years is a much higher value contract than $10M guaranteed per year over 6 years, even though the total guaranteed money is the same. That two years is a huge difference.

What the per year number would need to be to make that 4 year contract the same value as a 6 year contract will differ by coach, but I think it's closer to $10M than $15M usually. And I think this is why you see MSU extending a coach out to 4 years pretty much every year unless something is wrong. Extending the contract out to 4 years each year basically turns our 4 year contract into a 5 year contract. And if they don't tank, it makes a six year contract relatively likely. Certainly a far cry from a guarantee, but it probably helps on the margins.

Fair enough. With the rumor that ole miss offered 9.5 per year, the likelihood is that the annual amount would be about the same at Auburn (though it could very well be more), but longer. That's the more realistic scenario anyway.

DawgFromOxford
11-18-2022, 01:50 PM
We?ve had 2 coaches in the Big 3 combined use us as a stepping stone in the last 40 years

Point being when it comes to football, if a coach is winning at an elite level, I don?t see them sticking around Starkville if a blue blood comes calling. Aka a stepping stone

I?d attribute your statement to our lack of overall football success historically rather than coaches never choosing to leave

Turfdawg67
11-18-2022, 03:34 PM

Sure we are. The reason coaches haven't jumped ship from us and them is because most have sucked, had baggage and were subsequently fired. We are also a stepping stone for ADs if you haven't noticed

Pancho
11-18-2022, 04:23 PM
My shark friends are leaving now for fayetteville. say they are going to at least see kiffin coach 2 more games.......

DownwardDawg
11-18-2022, 04:26 PM
My shark friends are leaving now for fayetteville. say they are going to at least see kiffin coach 2 more games.......

When he loses his last 2 games there, it won't sting as bad when he leaves. Lol

RocketDawg
11-18-2022, 04:57 PM
Amen. I'm a fan of the 4 year contract limits. Face it, the schools in Mississippi will always be stepping stones for coaches that get poached by blue bloods. The only coach who wouldn't use us or OM as a stepping stone is a coach that is truly committed to that school regardless of money or other opportunities, which I would say is pretty rare. So you either get a coach that doesn't care about a 10 year contract because he's fully committed or you get stuck with a coach undeserving of a 10 year contract because he's not good enough to get poached. Any elite coach isn't going to stay at a Mississippi school whether we can match contract terms or not when a blue blood comes calling.

It happens but not very often at all. The one that comes to mind is Frank Beamer at Va Tech, and in basketball Izzo at Michigan State (I suppose they're blueblood in basketball, but still not a UK or Duke). Vaught stayed at Ole Miss a long time but I don't think coaches moved around back then like they do now.

RocketDawg
11-18-2022, 05:00 PM
I wish they could experience an Egg where the rumors were flying hot and heavy they were losing their coach.

Like when Mullen left? He was pretty much mentally in Gainsville.

Todd4State
11-18-2022, 05:07 PM
Also, McMahon was going back "home" considering he grew up in Jacksonville. Not sure how many other coaches would really leave MSU baseball. Certainly not the best job before because of scholarship limitations and NIL now, but pretty much a terminal job.

We're not a "terminal" job in Football or men's basketball, but there are only maybe a dozen? a dozen and a half? schools that can really poach from us. Just too few coaches are going to do well enough anywhere to get thsoe jobs and there is a lot of luck involved as far as being on a good stretch at the right time when the right job comes open.

Pat got tired of hearing "Ron would have done this".

TrapGame
11-18-2022, 05:11 PM
Like when Mullen left? He was pretty much mentally in Gainsville.

Yep, yucking it up with Coach Man-Titties while his starting QB was on the ground writhing in pain with his foot turned 180 degrees the opposite way.

Of course Mullen checked out on plenty of EBs. Nobody wanted him in '16 and we skull dragged their asses.

PGHBulldogBG
11-18-2022, 05:34 PM

Who is the other besides Mullen? I only remember him but you said 40 years so it could be someone before 1996 when I started following State in sports as a kid.

Johnson85
11-18-2022, 05:39 PM
Who is the other besides Mullen? I only remember him but you said 40 years so it could be someone before 1996 when I started following State in sports as a kid.

Pat McMahon. Left MSU baseball to coach UF.

WhiskeyPirate
11-18-2022, 06:19 PM
When he loses his last 2 games there, it won't sting as bad when he leaves. Lol

Sounds about right. I think Arkansas physically beats them up. I think several of their players are going to be on injured reserve after this one. Boss Tittman is playing for bowl eligibility.

DownwardDawg
11-18-2022, 06:40 PM
Sounds about right. I think Arkansas physically beats them up. I think several of their players are going to be on injured reserve after this one. Boss Tittman is playing for bowl eligibility.

Yea. While ole miss "might" beat Arkansas, it's gonna get real physical.

TrapGame
11-18-2022, 06:44 PM
Marcello was on with Cross this afternoon. Dick is getting kinda short with these guys. He's pissed about something.

Marcello said if it's Kiffin the news will start officially breaking around the Egg, maybe before or after.

yjnkdawg
11-18-2022, 10:39 PM
Marcello was on with Cross this afternoon. Dick is getting kinda short with these guys. He's pissed about something.

Marcello said if it's Kiffin the news will start officially breaking around the Egg, maybe before or after.

I think Marcello was just telling Cross in a subtle way to be prepared of hearing something around or before the Egg Bowl. I think Marcello has good sources on this one. I think Cross doesn't want to hear anything about Kiffin to Auburn, and wants somebody to tell him Kiffin is staying at OM.

Coach34
11-18-2022, 10:43 PM
Sure we are. The reason coaches haven't jumped ship from us and them is because most have sucked, had baggage and were subsequently fired. We are also a stepping stone for ADs if you haven't noticed

Coaches? No

AD's? Yes