PDA

View Full Version : To You Older Dawgs - Name the most Exciting "Offense"

Goldendawg
11-12-2022, 11:51 PM
Or least exciting as it may be perceived as one in the same:

JoMo's "I'm outsmarting the DC. I'll get the play in with 5 seconds to go on the play clock".

Croom's West Coast Offense - 2 to 5 yard passes and must get yac,

The "Air Raid" ( See first two choices for description)

Charlie_Sheen420
11-12-2022, 11:57 PM
Are we talking State only or college as a whole? If we are going as a whole?I?m going Texas circa Vince Young years, he was the majority of the offense, but damn he was fun to watch

WhiskeyPirate
11-12-2022, 11:58 PM
Q b run up the middle on third and nine

Goldendawg
11-13-2022, 12:00 AM
Are we talking State only or college as a whole? If we are going as a whole?I?m going Texas circa Vince Young years, he was the majority of the offense, but damn he was fun to watch

State only. I so wanted the "Air Raid" to work, but it is so predictable and boring to watch. JMO and have seen a lot of bad offenses at State since my 1st in person game in 1963.

msu15
11-13-2022, 12:00 AM

As Dak walks in to the endzone untouched vs Auburn in 2014 to lead us to #1 in the country, something your Pirate butt Buddy could only dream about.

msu15
11-13-2022, 12:05 AM

https://youtu.be/zrfS8eYTODU Skip to 5:15 for reference. Man you are taking L's tonight.

Tater
11-13-2022, 12:07 AM
The actual Air Raid with a QB with an arm / willingness to throw it 10+ yards downfield outside the hashes.

If you eliminate damn near 40% of your throwable field then it makes shit easy to cover. Get a QB who will attempt to attack every area of the field over one who can't even read correctly half the time.

Maroonthirteen
11-13-2022, 12:29 AM
Dak in 2015 is a good of passing offense as I've seen at State.

1994s team was a really good offense. It was a balance attack that could run you over. Then when teams stepped up to stop the run. Over the top to Moulds.

We had 2 bruising backs in Davis and Bouie. Plus Fred McCray on occasion. Then a future NFL, Eric Moulds running go routes. Or just flat out making a play when a play was needed. Chris Jones opposite Moulds was good too. So many talented players on that team. ....and a coach that knew how to play football.

dawgday166
11-13-2022, 12:35 AM
Dak or Fitz QB draw on 3rd or 4th and 10 ****

parabrave
11-13-2022, 04:05 AM
As Dak walks in to the endzone untouched vs Auburn in 2014 to lead us to #1 in the country, something your Pirate butt Buddy could only dream about.

And Nicky Fitz. But watching Brandon Holloway up the middle was hard to stomach.

Todd4State
11-13-2022, 04:09 AM
Dak in 2015 is a good of passing offense as I've seen at State.

1994s team was a really good offense. It was a balance attack that could run you over. Then when teams stepped up to stop the run. Over the top to Moulds.

We had 2 bruising backs in Davis and Bouie. Plus Fred McCray on occasion. Then a future NFL, Eric Moulds running go routes. Or just flat out making a play when a play was needed. Chris Jones opposite Moulds was good too. So many talented players on that team. ....and a coach that knew how to play football.

Of course our fans wanted Arians fired for throwing it too much.

It's a shame he wasn't our OC for the late 1990's.

DownwardDawg
11-13-2022, 09:13 AM
Mullen's offense when he was actually engaged. That offense with an actual play caller like malzahn is exciting. The game against Auburn when our assistant coaches didn't let JoMo call the plays was beautiful. 2018.

Leroy Jenkins
11-13-2022, 11:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=zvHPZi7_apk

The Boobie interview at the end of the video is what having fun playing ball looks like. We need to get AD more involved with the program.

DownwardDawg
11-13-2022, 11:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=zvHPZi7_apk

Yes. Imagine that offense with a more innovative play caller than Mullen. And someone who put all he had into the program instead of job searching and not recruiting.

Offshore Dawg
11-13-2022, 02:24 PM
The veer in 74, I think that was the Sun Bowl year.

was21
11-13-2022, 02:28 PM
Bob Tyler's offense in the '70's

R2Dawg
11-13-2022, 03:00 PM
Sparky Woods in the Jackie era was pretty good with some good talent to run it. It is still a LOS game and league and that still wins despite what many think. Just see what our DL does even now. That is how you win games.

The 14 and 15 O with Dak behind center was hard to beat.

basedog
11-13-2022, 03:08 PM
The veer in 74, I think that was the Sun Bowl year.

Fun offense. Walter Packer was electric!

Santiago
11-13-2022, 03:22 PM
Watson Brown as OC under Jackie for a season or two, had creative plays

parabrave
11-13-2022, 04:21 PM
Nothing was more electrifying than when Norwood or Discenso got the ball. But the 2014 offense was the best we have had.

Wink&aPrayer
11-13-2022, 05:40 PM
Either Rocky's veer or Emery/Bond's Red Dog Triple Option

R2Dawg
11-13-2022, 07:33 PM
Watson Brown as OC under Jackie for a season or two, had creative plays

Yep, I knew I was forgetting another one. He had some athletes to work with too. People forget how physical those teams were.

lastmajordog
11-13-2022, 09:33 PM
John Bond at qb, Danny Knight at wide receiver and I think Michael Haddix rb if memory serves. Lots of injuries but got most back and beat #4 (I think) LSU after they stomped Bama at Bama. First night game at Davis Wade (CBS) with portable lights brought in, brutally cold night and a last minute drive with La native Dana Moore kicking the winning fg. Then waxed om in Jackson to close out. Didn?t have a winning record I don?t think but when all cylinders were firing that was one bad*** offense.

cujo
11-14-2022, 08:43 PM
Bob Tyler's Veer
Rockey @ QB, then Bruce Threadgill
Walter Packer, Dennis Johnson, Terry Vitrano in the same backfield!
Melvin Barkum and Stan Black (before he moved to DB) at receiver
Plenty of others these are just the first that come to mind

lastmajordog
11-14-2022, 09:26 PM
Yep, I knew I was forgetting another one. He had some athletes to work with too. People forget how physical those teams were.

If I remember correctly a lb Keo Coleman got emebaressed in the pond bowl in the last Egg in Jackson getting a om td’s over him by over running the play. Then in that beautifully cold game first series in Jackie’s first year the om qb ran an option and Keo put a concussion on him and Jackie’s offense took over. I was really happy not for the concussion but with Keo redeeming his self after the year before. What a great first EB back at Davis Wade. It was a beautiful day for JWS and his “DOGS”.

HoopsDawg
11-14-2022, 09:34 PM
I loved our 2010 offense under Mullen with Relf where Mullen used Hemphill and Hanrahan. But he went away from the FB/Hback for some reason. We really only had 1 good WR in Bumphis. That same offense with a little better passer and 1 more legit receiver would have been fun to watch.

Our 1994 offense with Michael Davis and Kevin Bouie. Derrick Taite at QB. And Moulds at receiver. A lot of talent on the field. Keffer McGee was 3rd string TB on that team. And Fred McCrary played in the NFL and brought a lot to the table.

parabrave
11-14-2022, 09:34 PM
If I remember correctly a lb Keo Coleman got emebaressed in the pond bowl in the last Egg in Jackson getting a om td’s over him by over running the play. Then in that beautifully cold game first series in Jackie’s first year the om qb ran an option and Keo put a concussion on him and Jackie’s offense took over. I was really happy not for the concussion but with Keo redeeming his self after the year before. What a great first EB back at Davis Wade. It was a beautiful day for JWS and his “DOGS”.

Jackie started off with Sleepy and Micheal Davis. That was a backfield. Will always wonder what could've been if Sleepy never got hurt.

HoopsDawg
11-14-2022, 09:43 PM
Jackie started off with Sleepy and Micheal Davis. That was a backfield. Will always wonder what could've been if Sleepy never got hurt.

I think it was Jackie's 2nd year where we were set to make a run. Sleepy at QB with Willie Harris and Olanda Truitt at WR. We were stacked. We smoked Texas in Game 1 and we hammered Florida on a Thursday night game that awesome. Then Sleepy got hurt and things just didn't go as well with Plump at QB. Of course Bama was loaded that year so we wouldn't have won the West.

Maroonthirteen
11-14-2022, 09:54 PM
I think it was Jackie's 2nd year where we were set to make a run. Sleepy at QB with Willie Harris and Olanda Truitt at WR. We were stacked. We smoked Texas in Game 1 and we hammered Florida on a Thursday night game that awesome. Then Sleepy got hurt and things just didn't go as well with Plump at QB. Of course Bama was loaded that year so we wouldn't have won the West.

Yep. Sleepy got hurt in the Thursday night Florida game.

I remember the 92 and 94 Bama games, the student section was so crowded, dates sat in laps and others stood in the rows between sections.

parabrave
11-14-2022, 10:19 PM

I remember the 92 and 94 Bama games, the student section was so crowded, dates sat in laps and others stood in the rows between sections.

Well I was at both and Still remember sleepy making that turn and his knee just went. Everybody in the stadium knew it was bad when it happened. I still would've like to see Sleepy face that Bama D.

Homedawg
11-14-2022, 10:33 PM

Which in fact was the qb draw. But I digress.

Lord McBuckethead
11-14-2022, 10:34 PM
The actual Air Raid with a QB with an arm / willingness to throw it 10+ yards downfield outside the hashes.

If you eliminate damn near 40% of your throwable field then it makes shit easy to cover. Get a QB who will attempt to attack every area of the field over one who can't even read correctly half the time.

Bingo. That is why I called for Sawyer the second the Kentucky game hit halftime.

Coach34
11-14-2022, 11:05 PM
The biggest heartbreak was that Sleepy got hurt when we were up 30-6 over Florida on a QB draw. Terrible job by Jackie and Watson. We should have had Plump in doing that shit by then

Likely cost us an SEC title

R2Dawg
11-15-2022, 12:45 PM

That UF game was 92. We smoked a ranked Spurrier and heisman Mathews QB that night 30-6. Sleepy got hurt and the season was crippled as you said. The TX game was JWS game 1 at home in 91. That 92 team had some freak athletes and was ready to roll. Even with Sleepy going down, we gave Bama their toughest game in 92 when they won NC. Had them beat at home till Barker scored late in 4th. People forget how good some of Jackie's teams were. Go watch some of his teams play. Big, physical tough players. We bullied everyone.

R2Dawg
11-15-2022, 12:47 PM

Yeah, the fans were pretty bought in back then. I don't remember a lot of people leaving early and empty stadium either - in football or basketball. I remember the opposite. A lot of soft today.

parabrave
11-15-2022, 02:10 PM
The biggest heartbreak was that Sleepy got hurt when we were up 30-6 over Florida on a QB draw. Terrible job by Jackie and Watson. We should have had Plump in doing that shit by then

Likely cost us an SEC title

And the best ever banner in front of the Student section. " Shane Pull up your Socks"/

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2022, 02:16 PM
That UF game was 92. We smoked a ranked Spurrier and heisman Mathews QB that night 30-6. Sleepy got hurt and the season was crippled as you said. The TX game was JWS game 1 at home in 91. That 92 team had some freak athletes and was ready to roll. Even with Sleepy going down, we gave Bama their toughest game in 92 when they won NC. Had them beat at home till Barker scored late in 4th. People forget how good some of Jackie's teams were. Go watch some of his teams play. Big, physical tough players. We bullied everyone.

We played Texas at Texas in '92 to open the season. The OP is correct as we smoked Texas 28-10, compared to the closer 10-6 win at Scott Field in the 2nd game of the '91 season that you are referring to.

SailingDawg
11-15-2022, 03:34 PM
John Bond?s pitch to a trailing running back twenty yards downfield.

Dak