PDA

View Full Version : Auburn Coaching Search Rumors

TrapGame
11-09-2022, 12:25 PM
A lot of chatter on the AU boards that Dan Lanning, current head coach of Oregon, is their choice. And per a rumor from Greg McElroy, Lanning turned down their initial offer. He wants more money.

And the word is if Lanning turns down the next offer Auburn will move on to Mike Elko.

parabrave
11-09-2022, 12:50 PM
Will he bring Bo Nix back??

Msujd164
11-09-2022, 12:57 PM
Cohen May have the shortest AD term ever if he hires either of them. Auburn fans want Kiffin or Freeze, and will be pissed at Cohen if it is anyone else.

Santiago
11-09-2022, 12:58 PM
Auburn 247 moderators ran a recent article about Cohen looking for the coach that is the right "fit". It seemed orchestrated to get the Auburn fans prepared for a name outside the box.
Lanning though - didn't he issue a statement yesterday declining any interest, and then he went even further about living in Oregon, and talked about coaches looking for the next thing.

Santiago
11-09-2022, 01:00 PM
Cohen May have the shortest AD term ever if he hires either of them. Auburn fans want Kiffin or Freeze, and will be pissed at Cohen if it is anyone else.

Auburn fans were fine with Lanning, also.

basedog
11-09-2022, 01:11 PM
Auburn 247 moderators ran a recent article about Cohen looking for the coach that is the right "fit". It seemed orchestrated to get the Auburn fans prepared for a name outside the box.
Lanning though - didn't he issue a statement yesterday declining any interest, and then he went even further about living in Oregon, and talked about coaches looking for the next thing.

Seems he talked about his family and the moves he has made in the past. I believe he is putting his family as his priority and not sure he has interest at Auburn. I kinda get the feeling with his statement "grass isn't always greener = to Auburn being toxic, which it is for Coaches.

calidawg
11-09-2022, 01:14 PM
Once Cohen was hired the ship sailed on freeze

msstate7
11-09-2022, 01:18 PM
I kinda doubt Cohen will be turned loose on this hire. I figure he'll have "help"

Johnson85
11-09-2022, 01:40 PM

I don't think Cohen has any impact on that. I think if Auburn keeps striking out, the decision over whether to roll the dice on telling the SEC to 17 off and offer Freeze will be above Cohen's pay grade. If he has an impact, it will be because he convinces them to make one more offer to a coach they were on the fence about before making the decision on Freeze.

Hambone
11-09-2022, 01:47 PM
https://twitter.com/boardgeniuses/status/1590411198788669441?s=46&t=kVdLdrWlFa9miWKypy-8IQ

TrapGame
11-09-2022, 01:48 PM
I don't think Cohen has any impact on that. I think if Auburn keeps striking out, the decision over whether to roll the dice on telling the SEC to 17 off and offer Freeze will be above Cohen's pay grade. If he has an impact, it will be because he convinces them to make one more offer to a coach they were on the fence about before making the decision on Freeze.

Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around why Cohen was hired in the first place. What the hell had he been doing at State that made Auburn go "Oh yeah, I gotta get me some of that!".

Johnson85
11-09-2022, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around why Cohen was hired in the first place. What the hell had he been doing at State that made Auburn go "Oh yeah, I gotta get me some of that!".

I think all of our ADs benefit from MSU coaching jobs being better than they are perceived, so when we have success across programs, they think the AD is doing a great job. I think Byrne was really good, Stricklan was good, and Cohen was hit or miss but certainly not terrible. But if you look at his tenure from an outsider's perspective, we're doing pretty well overall compared to what they think we should be doing.

Matt3467
11-09-2022, 02:25 PM
But Coach said Freeze to AU was picking up steam and that Leach may head out the door because of SEC defenses.

Maroonthirteen
11-09-2022, 03:23 PM
@Rebelgrove. Hahahaha. You had us until "Rodgers"

https://tenor.com/bRf8K.gif

Maroonthirteen
11-09-2022, 03:32 PM
I don't know why it would be Cohens fault. Theyre a national brand all right.... for toxicity. I mean hell. Harelson never got a chance. Who wants that and playing little brother to Bama and UGA.

PikeDawg15
11-09-2022, 03:54 PM
Boy if Cohen brings in Mike freaking Elko as head coach , he gonna get fired on the spot.

Cohen gotta realize that the Mississippi State mindset of letting a guy build a program doesnt exist at Auburn, they want a name

Hell, me as a Mississippi State fan would be pissed with a mike elko hire at Mississippi State.

The fans will turn on Cohen already if he doesnt hire

Freeze, Kiffin, Lanning, Meyer, Deion, or Rhule

Its an absolute train wreck if he has to settle for Mike Elko, it may turn into a tennessee 2017 situation.

Jarius
11-09-2022, 03:56 PM
Elko has about as much chance at getting that job as I do.

TrapGame
11-09-2022, 04:38 PM
Boy if Cohen brings in Mike freaking Elko as head coach , he gonna get fired on the spot.

Cohen gotta realize that the Mississippi State mindset of letting a guy build a program doesnt exist at Auburn, they want a name

Hell, me as a Mississippi State fan would be pissed with a mike elko hire at Mississippi State.

The fans will turn on Cohen already if he doesnt hire

Freeze, Kiffin, Lanning, Meyer, Deion, or Rhule

Its an absolute train wreck if he has to settle for Mike Elko, it may turn into a tennessee 2017 situation.

There's probably some on this board that would take Elko over Leach today. Luckily, I'm not one of them.

Matt Rhule is currently without a job and a big time college hire waiting to happen. If a program like Auburn's can't pull serious interest from someone like Rhule then there's some smoldering dumpster fire level stuff going on in the background we aren't seeing.

I'm thinking there's some serious push back on Freeze from SEC HQ. This would have been a done deal otherwise.

Lanning staying at Oregon is huge. Lane probably has his sights set on something other than Auburn. He may be waiting on Jimbo to get fired next year. A&M is a sleeping giant.

Elko has about as much chance at getting that job as I do.

When the insiders on your board are prepping you for a possible Mike Elko hire you know it's bad.

DownwardDawg
11-09-2022, 04:56 PM

Cohen has no say in the hire.

Really Clark?
11-09-2022, 05:11 PM
Mike Elko hasn't had enough time yet but he's won more games already this year than Duke's last 2 seasons combined. That's a dang good start to a HC career at Duke

PikeDawg15
11-09-2022, 05:38 PM
There's probably some on this board that would take Elko over Leach today. Luckily, I'm not one of them.

Matt Rhule is currently without a job and a big time college hire waiting to happen. If a program like Auburn's can't pull serious interest from someone like Rhule then there's some smoldering dumpster fire level stuff going on in the background we aren't seeing.

I'm thinking there's some serious push back on Freeze from SEC HQ. This would have been a done deal otherwise.

Lanning staying at Oregon is huge. Lane probably has his sights set on something other than Auburn. He may be waiting on Jimbo to get fired next year. A&M is a sleeping giant.

When the insiders on your board are prepping you for a possible Mike Elko hire you know it's bad.

I really think A&M will lose to Auburn saturday night and of course they lose to LSU also

I really wonder if they will fire him at 4-8 because nobody should believe for one second he will change anything he is doing

Imagine this

Bjork: Jimbo you need to hire an OC
Jimbo: NO
Bjork: Hire an OC or we are going to have to pay you 85 million dollars
Jimbo: No

Offshore Dawg
11-09-2022, 06:05 PM
Jimbo is holding all the cards in this one.

Schultzy
11-09-2022, 06:11 PM
Cohen has no say in the hire.

Truth.

Aint no damn way they hired him to make that decision for them. They hired him to STFU and go sit in your office til we give you something to say in front of a camera or on twitter. Or to go speak at the Opelika/Bessemer//Montgomery qb club on some random weekday night (enjoy the power point).

Nice gig if you can get it.

yjnkdawg
11-09-2022, 07:01 PM

Cohen will announce who the new HC is. That is all. I imagine the reason the ship sailed on Freeze was because the SEC Office told Auburn that hiring Freeze would not be in their best interest with their office if Auburn hired Freeze.

yjnkdawg
11-09-2022, 07:07 PM

If the SEC Office doesn't want Freeze back in the SEC and Auburn says screw you and hires him anyway, that would be more than stupid unless Auburn was planning on moving to another conference, If you are an SEC school you don't want to upset or make the SEC Office mad. Just like Saban backed off hiring Freeze.

Schultzy
11-09-2022, 07:13 PM
If the SEC Office doesn't want Freeze back in the SEC and Auburn says screw you and hires him anyway, that would be more than stupid unless Auburn was planning on moving to another conference, If you are an SEC school you don't want to upset or make the SEC Office mad. Just like Saban backed off hiring Freeze.
I don’t think Saban helped himself with that dumbass arrogant move.

PikeDawg15
11-09-2022, 08:53 PM
Im still predicting Kiffin to auburn

My auburn alum coworker who is from an auburn family.

He told me that the Dan Lanning stuff is all just Lanning trying to get a pay raise from oregon

They are seriously targeting kiffin and are going to go all in and make him say no multiple times.

They believe he is the only coach that can compete against alabama, georgia, and LSU on a yearly basis at Auburn.

They would be happy with Freeze but like many have said, he is blackballed from the SEC and wont be returning anytime soon until Sankey retires.

Pancho
11-09-2022, 11:12 PM
He has called a gag on the discussion til the egg bowl clock hits all zero's. then a shoe will drop

yjnkdawg
11-10-2022, 12:45 AM
I really think A&M will lose to Auburn saturday night and of course they lose to LSU also

I really wonder if they will fire him at 4-8 because nobody should believe for one second he will change anything he is doing

Imagine this

Bjork: Jimbo you need to hire an OC
Jimbo: NO
Bjork: Hire an OC or we are going to have to pay you 85 million dollars
Jimbo: No

An AD is not going to tell a HC who to hire with an ultimatum that he will be fired if he doesn't. An AD can suggest certain things and tell the HC what his expectations are and goals are but he is not going to micromanage or shouldn't anyway. Then it is up to the HC to either sink, or swim based on his decisions made. I'm not saying a coach can't get fired for any reason but just that the AD doesn't tell him who to hire or who to play or who to recruit. No coach would coach under those terms.

yjnkdawg
11-10-2022, 12:53 AM
He has called a gag on the discussion til the egg bowl clock hits all zero's. then a shoe will drop

My thinking is the shoe will drop after OM's bowl game if it does.. If they have a chance to move up in the poll with a win in their bowl game I can't see Kiffin leaving till after then if the Auburn job is his, but who knows.

Santiago
11-10-2022, 07:34 AM
My thinking is the shoe will drop after OM's bowl game if it does.. If they have a chance to move up in the poll with a win in their bowl game I can't see Kiffin leaving till after then if the Auburn job is his, but who knows.

Lane is not sticking around for a bowl game if he wants another job. Last year his agent was working his name everywhere, well before any bowl game.
I wonder if word starts to leak out prior to the egg bowl. That would be great. Kill the fan base enthusiasm at TSUN before the game, and maybe the mood of the players. Welcome to our Dan Mullen era egg bowls, Ole Miss.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-10-2022, 08:16 AM
Saturday vs Alabama is biggly for Kiffin and Auburn.

TrapGame
11-10-2022, 08:53 AM
Lane is not sticking around for a bowl game if he wants another job. Last year his agent was working his name everywhere, well before any bowl game.
I wonder if word starts to leak out prior to the egg bowl. That would be great. Kill the fan base enthusiasm at TSUN before the game, and maybe the mood of the players. Welcome to our Dan Mullen era egg bowls, Ole Miss.

No way they keep a lid on that till a bowl game. If Kiffin is leaving for Auburn it will be heavily rumored by Egg week. Then I have Rebel tears to enjoy with my turkey and pumpkin pie.

Saturday vs Alabama is biggly for Kiffin and Auburn.

If Kiffin beats Bama the Auburn faithful will offer up first born daughters and their very souls.

Catfish
11-10-2022, 09:07 AM
No way they keep a lid on that till a bowl game. If Kiffin is leaving for Auburn it will be heavily rumored by Egg week. Then I have Rebel tears to enjoy with my turkey and pumpkin pie.

If Kiffin beats Bama the Auburn faithful will offer up first born daughters and their very souls.

Maybe their first born daughters, their souls were lost years ago.

TheLostDawg
11-10-2022, 09:28 AM

Thing is with early signing day, it doesn't help the coach to keep it under wraps. Their next job is their priority. If there wasn't an early signing day, wouldn't be as much of an issue.
That being said, I think if it's announced Kiffen is leaving they'll rally around him because they love him so much. That's not to say they won't be disappointed. They just better hope he doesn't take his best players with him, or recruits like Mullen did

viverlibre
11-10-2022, 09:42 AM

Don't read too much into that, every agent does it, just to increase the coaches current salary if nothing else.

Johnson85
11-10-2022, 10:12 AM
Thing is with early signing day, it doesn't help the coach to keep it under wraps. Their next job is their priority. If there wasn't an early signing day, wouldn't be as much of an issue.
That being said, I think if it's announced Kiffen is leaving they'll rally around him because they love him so much. That's not to say they won't be disappointed. They just better hope he doesn't take his best players with him, or recruits like Mullen did

This is the issue. With early signing day, Auburn isn't going to want to even wait until the end of the regular season. At the very least, they are going to demand (and really should demand) that their coach be calling recruits no later than the two days after the end of the regular season, so the coach can at least pretend the deal got done the day after the end of the regular season. Without early signing period, it would be better for the new school for the coach to finish up the regular season strong. Hell, you could even arguably justify coaching through the bowl game based on a win being another feather in the cap to show recruits. I think coaches rarely went that route b/c of the risk of loss and schools not wanting a distracted coach.

viverlibre
11-10-2022, 10:39 AM
This is the issue. With early signing day, Auburn isn't going to want to even wait until the end of the regular season. At the very least, they are going to demand (and really should demand) that their coach be calling recruits no later than the two days after the end of the regular season, so the coach can at least pretend the deal got done the day after the end of the regular season. Without early signing period, it would be better for the new school for the coach to finish up the regular season strong. Hell, you could even arguably justify coaching through the bowl game based on a win being another feather in the cap to show recruits. I think coaches rarely went that route b/c of the risk of loss and schools not wanting a distracted coach.

I think the transfer portal has negated this. Especially with the NIL money that the barn will throw around, they'll want to get seasoned transfers in who can have an immediate impact.

Maroonthirteen
11-10-2022, 10:46 AM
The reason they fired Harsin already was to get a start on hiring another before signing day. Auburn will name a coach by the SEC championship game.

Santiago
11-10-2022, 11:25 AM

The players might rally around him because they want to impress and go with him. Kidding. But I do think it leaking out will kill the fanbase enthusiasm prior to the game.

TrapGame
11-10-2022, 11:31 AM
The players might rally around him because they want to impress and go with him. Kidding. But I do think it leaking out will kill the fanbase enthusiasm prior to the game.

When it leaked out Mullen was going to Tennessee it felt pretty crappy. Then Fitz got Fitzed and then all enthusiasm vanished.

I would love the Kiffin to Auburn news to break Thanksgiving afternoon then we beat them soundly in the Egg that night.

PikeDawg15
11-10-2022, 01:01 PM

The news of Auburn's new coach will break the day after the iron bowl

Santiago
11-10-2022, 01:19 PM
The news of Auburn's new coach will break the day after the iron bowl

Have a feeling it will start hitting rumor message boards the week of.

NCDawg
11-10-2022, 02:26 PM
Maybe they should consider Cadillac Williams. He seems like a pretty good coach to me. I know ESPN is infatuated with him as much as they showed him in our game.

AROB44
11-10-2022, 02:40 PM
Maybe they should consider Cadillac Williams. He seems like a pretty good coach to me. I know ESPN is infatuated with him as much as they showed him in our game.

Based on what? One game?

TrapGame
11-10-2022, 03:00 PM
Based on what? One game?

Probably from the way he waved his towel. Definitely got lessons from Trooper Taylor.***

HailState2008
11-10-2022, 06:55 PM
No one in SEC is hiring Freeze because they know Ole Miss will try to bury that team by making all of Hugh?s dirty secrets public. That has to be reason because there is no way Freeze shouldn?t be back in the SEC by now.

Pancho
11-10-2022, 07:33 PM
There are plenty shark fan booster types who never want their named mentioned in the same sentence with Freeze.

ZedFedder
11-10-2022, 07:35 PM
Cadillac works great as an interim, but I don’t think he is head coach material based off of how he carried himself on the sideline. He just seemed to get too high and too low.

was21
11-10-2022, 07:40 PM
Apparently sarcasm. If not God bless him.

bulldawg28
11-10-2022, 07:54 PM
Probably from the way he waved his towel. Definitely got lessons from Trooper Taylor.***

Lol, indeed! Those were crazy times

Johnson85
11-11-2022, 10:14 AM
No one in SEC is hiring Freeze because they know Ole Miss will try to bury that team by making all of Hugh?s dirty secrets public. That has to be reason because there is no way Freeze shouldn?t be back in the SEC by now.

You think Ole Miss is going to air their dirty laundry about hiring women to interact with recruits just to get back at Hugh Freeze?

If he doesn't get back in the SEC, it will be because the SEC does not want to risk that dirty laundry getting reaired, and possibly because Freeze is still collecting skeletons in his closet and he doesn't want to go to a conference where there will be increased scrutiny on his personal life.

yjnkdawg
11-11-2022, 12:01 PM

Apparently the SEC Office doesn't want Freeze back in the SEC, and that should be as good of a reason as there is. I had mentioned in a thread a while back that Freeze embarrassed the SEC Office and the SEC, as a major P5 Conference, big time and on a national stage. Difficult to forget that.

TrapGame
11-11-2022, 12:09 PM
Apparently the SEC Office doesn't want Freeze back in the SEC, and that should be as good of a reason as there is. I had mentioned in a thread a while back that Freeze embarrassed the SEC Office and the SEC, as a major P5 Conference, big time and on a national stage. Difficult to forget that.

I think Freeze is going to wind up at someplace like West Virginia. And he'll have them a top 10 team by his third year there.

parabrave
11-11-2022, 02:09 PM
I think Freeze is going to wind up at someplace like West Virginia. And he'll have them a top 10 team by his third year there.

Or Fl State or somewhere that he has a good chance at getting to the CFP, especially when it expands to 12 teams.

DownwardDawg
11-11-2022, 02:13 PM
Or Fl State or somewhere that he has a good chance at getting to the CFP, especially when it expands to 12 teams.

I still think people are overestimating his coaching ability. He cheated to get recruits. There's no longer cheating required. Everyone else can outbid him for those recruits. I guess time will tell because he's about to get a big job. It'll be Auburn if Kiffin doesn't take that job.

Johnson85
11-11-2022, 03:26 PM
I still think people are overestimating his coaching ability. He cheated to get recruits. There's no longer cheating required. Everyone else can outbid him for those recruits. I guess time will tell because he's about to get a big job. It'll be Auburn if Kiffin doesn't take that job.

He won before he got to Ole Miss and he's winning at Liberty. He cheated to get some top line recruits, but he still wasn't out talenting teams top to bottom and he had to do a good job coaching to win with those recruits. He's not a great coach, but I think he's a really good coach as far as game day coaching and running his system. I think his personality quirks and having a messiah complex will always create risks though, so that may cause him to ultimately be somewhere between pretty good and really good.

Turfdawg67
11-11-2022, 04:01 PM

He's winning with recruiting classes ranked in the low 100s. He's a good coach... which kills me to say.

yjnkdawg
11-11-2022, 05:26 PM

If the SEC Office does not want Freeze back in the SEC, Auburn will not hire him. They don't want to be on the bad side of the SEC Office. No SEC school does. If you could go against the wishes of the SEC Office without any issues or repercussions then Freeze would probably be in Tuscaloosa right now.

Schultzy
11-11-2022, 07:03 PM
Y?all need to get over this whole ?cheated? thing. Everybody and I mean everybody cheated including Jopa since 1942. It?s just that the NCAA arbittrally decided who would go on probation since then in a non judicial manner.

msu15
11-11-2022, 07:16 PM
He's winning with recruiting classes ranked in the low 100s. He's a good coach... which kills me to say.

Easily the first time you've said something with any shred of intelligence.

lastmajordog
11-11-2022, 07:42 PM
I don’t think Kiffin goes to Barn, I don’t know why but I don’t. But if he did and run the om offense with barn’s potential players......good grief.

Todd4State
11-11-2022, 08:50 PM
I don’t think Kiffin goes to Barn, I don’t know why but I don’t. But if he did and run the om offense with barn’s potential players......good grief.

Comes down to how bad they want him. If they go "all in" then I could definitely see it happening.

WhiskeyPirate
11-11-2022, 09:07 PM
Comes down to how bad they want him. If they go "all in" then I could definitely see it happening.

Too many sources are openly talking about Kiffin is the main and sole target of Auburn. 70-77 million for seven years is what’s being discussed.
If Ole Miss drops a couple of games, Kiffins departure will be announced before the bowl game is what’s being said.

Turfdawg67
11-11-2022, 10:28 PM
Easily the first time you've said something with any shred of intelligence.

Keep up. When I'm not ridiculing MS7, I have a somewhat less than okay opinion. It comes with age...

Turfdawg67
11-11-2022, 10:34 PM

Yep, and with Satan on the way out, he could do very well at Auburn. But no one is gonna have the dedication of young(er) Nick. So it may be a few years of really good teams, but never a dynasty. Just not in his DNA... not in many at all. Too much money and complacency.

Opus007
11-12-2022, 04:15 PM
Don't forget, Auburn hired Bruce Pearl. Freeze is still in the mix