PDA

View Full Version : Keenum on Cohen....

Leroy Jenkins
11-07-2022, 09:31 AM
Dr. K said he was happy with John and very surprised by the whole situation. His version of events from his own mouth:

-Dr K said he never gave John any indication that he should be looking for a new job.
-John contacted him and said AU had made an offer.
-Dr K asked him what he was going to do and added that this was surprising news.
-Two days go by and John told Dr K that he still hadn't made a decision.
-Dr K told John that we were going to start our AD search and move on if John cant make up his mind.
-Dr K's words were something to the effect "We cant hold the university hostage waiting on your decision, I owe it to the university to begin our own AD search."
-With that Cohen resigns.

mo7888
11-07-2022, 09:35 AM
Dr. K said he was happy with John and very surprised by the whole situation. His version of events from his own mouth:

-Dr K said he never gave John any indication that he should be looking for a new job.
-John contacted him and said AU had made an offer.
-Dr K asked him what he was going to do and added that this was surprising news.
-Two days go by and John told Dr K that he still hadn't made a decision.
-Dr K told John that we were going to start our AD search and move on if John cant make up his mind.
-Dr K's words were something to the effect "We cant hold the university hostage waiting on your decision, I owe it to the university to begin our own AD search."
-With that Cohen resigns.

If that's true I love the way Keenum handled it and it seems he got his desired result.

EdwardDrayton
11-07-2022, 09:35 AM
Two days and he’s holding the university hostage?!!!?

This is difficult to believe.

Leroy Jenkins
11-07-2022, 09:41 AM

Well, that's what Keenum said, I don't know why he would not be truthful.
He did infer that John was not happy with being told to shit or get off the pot, but he said it much more eloquently than I did.

Santiago
11-07-2022, 09:44 AM
Notice - Keenum never said "Hey John what do we need to do to keep you here".
Thank goodness.

Almost sounds like Keenum in a low sarcastic voice told John "oh, wait.....stop.....please don't go"

EdwardDrayton
11-07-2022, 09:45 AM
Well, that's what Keenum said, I don't know why he would not be truthful.
He did infer that John was not happy with being told to shit or get off the pot, but he said it much more eloquently than I did.

Not necessarily saying he was untruthful but there seems to be a lot of context missing that maybe he did not share.

was21
11-07-2022, 09:46 AM
Guess Cohen was looking for a raise?...seems to be written all over that scenario.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-07-2022, 09:48 AM

I don't know why he needed two days. He either wanted to be here or he didn't. Keenum did the correct thing.

Maroonthirteen
11-07-2022, 09:54 AM
Regardless.... Cohen needed to go. Mississippi State needs to make some large capital improvements with football and basketball. Cohen is a Miser. He didn't need to be in charge of those large projects.

Leroy Jenkins
11-07-2022, 09:54 AM
Notice - Keenum never said "Hey John what do we need to do to keep you here".
Thank goodness.

Almost sounds like Keenum in a low sarcastic voice told John "oh, wait.....stop.....please don't go"

Keenum did say that he asked John "What can I do to help you decide?" and that "if John couldn't make a decision then I had to make a decision to move on"

EdwardDrayton
11-07-2022, 09:57 AM
I don't know why he needed two days. He either wanted to be here or he didn't. Keenum did the correct thing.

Not sure correct or not is the appropriate evaluation. Nonetheless I’ve been advocating for a change for a while now. But the exchange between them certainly begs a lot of questions about what their relationship had become.

Leroy Jenkins
11-07-2022, 10:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46fcY6A7Y40

FISHDAWG
11-07-2022, 12:43 PM

could have been posturing for a raise and Keenum didn't take the bait

R2Dawg
11-07-2022, 12:48 PM

That was a nice way of saying don't let the door hit you.

MK ain't going to spill the beans. I think by the comments you can see things were not all good. It ended the way it did for a reason. Healthy situations don't go like this.

EdwardDrayton
11-07-2022, 01:07 PM
That was a nice way of saying don't let the door hit you.

MK ain't going to spill the beans. I think by the comments you can see things were not all good. It ended the way it did for a reason. Healthy situations don't go like this.

Have to believe Cohen had a vibe leading up to this that the nature of their relationship was changing.

R2Dawg
11-07-2022, 01:35 PM
Have to believe Cohen had a vibe leading up to this that the nature of their relationship was changing.

Agree. I think that is why JC was torn. He wanted to stay but knew his time was numbered and likely tied to Leach which didn't look good.

And for 1.5mil, door #2 started looking pretty good.

Goldendawg
11-07-2022, 01:45 PM
Agree. I think that is why JC was torn. He wanted to stay but knew his time was numbered and likely tied to Leach which didn't look good.

As per my conversations with AU fans after the game, their AD will merely be a yes man for their very involved, controlling big boosters. Cohen can feel that role fine.

deltadawg63
11-07-2022, 02:32 PM
I listened to Charlie's Keenum interview podcast carefully and it's what Keenum did not say that says alot. Remember, Keenum is a well skilled politician with years of DC and Cochran training and experience which served college football well with CFP and the playoff change. Point: Cohen informed Keenum of offer and gave Keenum time to counter if so desired and based on timeline Keenum gave, Mark had from Saturday to Sunday evening to counter and it can be inferred that he did not, so Cohen informed him of his pending resignation on Monday morning. Keenum always takes the high road in high stakes situations.

EdwardDrayton
11-07-2022, 03:31 PM

So either Keenum was already in a place to make a change or he got miffed that Cohen did not outright decline the offer and that he tried to play him with it.

Don?t ya? just love these pseudo power plays.

Cooterpoot
11-07-2022, 03:43 PM
Cohen has always had too high an opinion of himself. He tried to high hat us and we told him to kick rocks. There's some money that's been pushing for Cohen to hit the road too. This is why you don't simply give someone a job because they're State people.

TrapGame
11-07-2022, 03:48 PM
Cohen: I'm thinking about taking the Auburn job.
Keenum: Oh, well, looks like you need to make a decision.
Cohen: Umm, well, I'm not sure. I need some time to think on it.
Keenum: Well, I tell you what John, you go think on it while we start looking for your replacement.

Reunion Dog
11-08-2022, 02:42 AM
Keenum was in South Dakota pheasant hunting when he got the call.

Also Nellie Cohen just inherited $25M from her dad ?. Golden Flake money.

viverlibre
11-08-2022, 07:26 AM
Keenum was in South Dakota pheasant hunting when he got the call.

Also Nellie Cohen just inherited $25M from her dad ?. Golden Flake money.

As a friend of mine told hid daughter, you can marry more money in a minute than you can make in a lifetime.

Cowbell
11-08-2022, 07:31 AM
As a friend of mine told hid daughter, you can marry more money in a minute than you can make in a lifetime.

And that money will control you for your lifetime

State82
11-08-2022, 10:45 AM

And buy me a boat. And a nice truck. And a pile of fishing/hunting gear. Once I get all that in hand it's anybody's game.

FISHDAWG
11-08-2022, 11:13 AM
And buy me a boat. And a nice truck. And a pile of fishing/hunting gear. Once I get all that in hand it's anybody's game.

and an invitation to join Keenum in South Dakota shooting Pheasant .... and believe me it's an incredible shotgunning trip for those who enjoy ...... speaking of Shotgun - anyone heard anything out of him? Hope the old boy is OK

viverlibre
11-08-2022, 11:47 AM

You can always get half if you decide you need to bail.

State82
11-08-2022, 12:50 PM
You can always get half if you decide you need to bail.

Just need to figure out how to sidestep that dastardly pre-nup.

R2Dawg
11-08-2022, 01:07 PM
So either Keenum was already in a place to make a change or he got miffed that Cohen did not outright decline the offer and that he tried to play him with it.

Don?t ya? just love these pseudo power plays.

I think it is both. I think Keenum was in the back of his mind thinking about next moves. He wasn't ready to pull the trigger yet but when JC acted like MSU was the safe date to the prom and hang on while I look for a better date, Keenum would have none of that. If Keenum wasn't part way there, he would have never cut that quick.

BTW, that means Leach is in the same boat.

bulldogcountry1
11-08-2022, 03:16 PM
I don't know what your source is, but I listened to the interview on "Out of Left Field". He basically said the same things there. I don't recall him saying anything about holding the school hostage, though.

I thought Dr K explained it as professionally as he could. He took the high road and wished Cohen well. He sounded confident, and you got the sense that the "conversations" with Cohen weren't just "we wish you well".

viverlibre
11-08-2022, 03:34 PM
As lawyers say, ?a prenup is a good place to start.?

EdwardDrayton
11-08-2022, 04:27 PM
I think it is both. I think Keenum was in the back of his mind thinking about next moves. He wasn't ready to pull the trigger yet but when JC acted like MSU was the safe date to the prom and hang on while I look for a better date, Keenum would have none of that. If Keenum wasn't part way there, he would have never cut that quick.

BTW, that means Leach is in the same boat.

Agree on all counts.

Homedawg
11-08-2022, 05:21 PM
and an invitation to join Keenum in South Dakota shooting Pheasant .... and believe me it's an incredible shotgunning trip for those who enjoy ...... speaking of Shotgun - anyone heard anything out of him? Hope the old boy is OK

He's too busy starting 1000 threads a day on genespage

EdwardDrayton
11-08-2022, 06:40 PM

Sure like the way you think 82.

Cowbell
11-08-2022, 11:46 PM

Unfortunately this ain't the way it normally works out..