PDA

View Full Version : How good is Deion?

CadaverDawg
11-06-2022, 07:02 PM
Being mentioned as a potential candidate for Auburn.

We know he could be like Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss on steroids when it comes to recruiting, but can he coach? Has anybody watched any film of JSU games to see if it's scheme or just out-talenting every opponent? Would he need to coach well if he recruited the way everyone thinks he could in the SEC?

Would you want him at State? Worth a shot?

If Auburn were to hire Kiffin, would Ole Miss consider Deion? Would that worry you if so?

I can't wrap my head around how good of a coach he would be, but I feel like the recruiting and publicity would be like nothing we've ever seen in college football. Just curious how everyone else feels about him.

Gotta admit I could see Ole Miss going for him and his recruiting and publicity, and hitting a home run with it. Not sure he'd come here though. Probably bc we wouldn't take the risk. Good ol Even Steven MSU would probably rather play it conservative and try to maintain 6-6 than to risk failing while shooting for the moon with a flashy hire like Deion.

basedog
11-06-2022, 07:09 PM
I would take a chance with PT. I think most see him as the player he was and not seeing how he really is in life. Great player who had success playing sports all his life. He has learned from many great coaches. He would kill it at Stark Vegas but I don?t see us going that route. I do see Ole Dixie taking that chance.
We will know soon as he opportunity is coming soon.

I?m a big fan! He is very motivated and driven. Plus he loves coaching.

Lord McBuckethead
11-06-2022, 07:10 PM
I don?t know enough about him as a coach to add anything to the discussion. I do know one thing, he recruits really well based on his track record. He recruits better than anyone else in his entire conference. Would he recruit better than everyone in the SEC West? That is what matters. Can he coach better than other SEC West coaches and can he recruit better than SEC coaches?

DownwardDawg
11-06-2022, 07:11 PM
He brought his high school team to Mississippi and got whipped by a private school the season before JSY hired him. He has much better talent than anyone he's playing against due to NIL money. I wouldn't think about hiring him until he proves what he can do in a bigger conference against equal talent.

DownwardDawg
11-06-2022, 07:13 PM
I don?t know enough about him as a coach to add anything to the discussion. I do know one thing, he recruits really well based on his track record. He recruits better than anyone else in his entire conference. Would he recruit better than everyone in the SEC West? That is what matters. Can he coach better than other SEC West coaches and can he recruit better than SEC coaches?

He's getting stupid NIL money. He's not necessarily recruiting great.

Im a big fan also basedog. I don't see ole miss hiring a black coach. Some of their big donors would throw fits.

Cooterpoot
11-06-2022, 07:14 PM
He will bring in players and coaches. He won't call plays etc. But he can motivate. I wouldn't be scared to hire him. Now, he he says he's calling plays etc, then nah, I'd pass. But he has the connections to get a lot done.

CadaverDawg
11-06-2022, 07:19 PM
He's getting stupid NIL money. He's not necessarily recruiting great.

Im a big fan also basedog. I don't see ole miss hiring a black coach. Some of their big donors would throw fits.

If it wins the press conference and the recruiting battle, they 100% would.

And I'm with basedog, I'm tired of being conservative...why can't we be the ones to take that first chance? Worried we'll ruin all of the not shit we're accomplishing?

I'd take him right now. We can't seems to elevate by hiring X's and O's, so hire someone that brings the Jimmy's and Joe's

Why not? What do we have to lose?

BrunswickDawg
11-06-2022, 07:27 PM
The man has excelled at everything he has ever done. And don't think for a second that he is a figure head coach. He knows the game. He may not call plays but I guarantee he is involved in the game plan, and he knows how to motivate kids. I'd hire him.

basedog
11-06-2022, 08:02 PM
Living in Jackson area, I see him daily on sports channels, what says and preaches to his team is awesome. I had no idea how things would look at JSU when they hired him. But again watching him as a man is impressive. He cares, he is smart, he is driven and he attracts attention and is well like in the professional world.

viverlibre
11-06-2022, 08:13 PM
As Brandon Walker recently said, "Auburn is the best and worst job in the country." I don't know if Kiffen or Deion would go. I think Deion's personality is too big to co-exist with other big personalities on the Plains.

CadaverDawg
11-06-2022, 08:14 PM
Living in Jackson area, I see him daily on sports channels, what says and preaches to his team is awesome. I had no idea how things would look at JSU when they hired him. But again watching him as a man is impressive. He cares, he is smart, he is driven and he attracts attention and is well like in the professional world.

The man has excelled at everything he has ever done. And don't think for a second that he is a figure head coach. He knows the game. He may not call plays but I guarantee he is involved in the game plan, and he knows how to motivate kids. I'd hire him.

Couldn't agree more with you guys

starkvegasdawg
11-06-2022, 08:19 PM

And I'm with basedog, I'm tired of being conservative...why can't we be the ones to take that first chance? Worried we'll ruin all of the not shit we're accomplishing?

I'd take him right now. We can't seems to elevate by hiring X's and O's, so hire someone that brings the Jimmy's and Joe's

I promise you, if we hire him regardless of how badly he potentially bombs...we would have hired worse.

Todd4State
11-06-2022, 08:24 PM
We're probably way more likely to take a risk on Deion than Ole Miss is.

I figure Ole Miss will try to hire Mahlzahn or something like that.

TrapGame
11-06-2022, 08:31 PM
Prime would be a great hire. The only school we'd have to really worry about is Florida State. But, if he's recruiting and coaching at a high level here making it into the expanded playoffs that might be less of a concern.

NCDawg
11-06-2022, 08:45 PM

I agree. I think he would definitely improve our recruiting. He could bring in some good assistant coaches and we would tough for any team to compete with.

EdwardDrayton
11-06-2022, 08:49 PM
Kids will combat crawl to Auburn to play for him. Beyond that who knows how well he would do.

SteelCurtain74
11-06-2022, 09:01 PM
JSU runs the Air Raid. Their offensive coordinator is a former Washington St. receiver who played for Leach in 2012. Tim Brewster is Deion's assistant/TE coach. His DC was the DC for the Bills under Rex Ryan. His RB coach worked for Kiffin at Fla. Atlantic. His OL coach Mark Markuson coached at Arkansas under Nutt and coached at Ole Miss for about 5 years.

All of this to say Deion didn't hire a bunch of amateurs as assistants. I think he would be a good hire that could potentially be a great hire.

RezDog7
11-06-2022, 09:25 PM
I promise you, if we hire him regardless of how badly he potentially bombs...we would have hired worse.

As long as he doesn't ask our players to get their ring size then we good.

bulldawg28
11-06-2022, 11:21 PM
Hire Deion tomorrow. We'd have 5 star talent and he'd bring 5 star coaches and notoriety to our program. No more flipmas in December and teams not playing hard. The university would be pumped, the kids excited, and winning would happen.

Cowbell
11-06-2022, 11:36 PM
I would trade leach for Deion today. Deion and Arnette together would be 🔥

TheLostDawg
11-06-2022, 11:39 PM
He would come for two years then be gone

TheLostDawg
11-06-2022, 11:40 PM
And if the transfer rule doesn't change, we'd be in a mess

Bothrops
11-07-2022, 12:30 AM
Deion is not a serious candidate at this point

Todd4State
11-07-2022, 01:18 AM
I could see Deion at Georgia Tech. That would make some sense to me with his ties to Atlanta.

NCMSTFAN
11-07-2022, 07:40 AM
JSU runs the Air Raid. Their offensive coordinator is a former Washington St. receiver who played for Leach in 2012. Tim Brewster is Deion's assistant/TE coach. His DC was the DC for the Bills under Rex Ryan. His RB coach worked for Kiffin at Fla. Atlantic. His OL coach Mark Markuson coached at Arkansas under Nutt and coached at Ole Miss for about 5 years.

All of this to say Deion didn't hire a bunch of amateurs as assistants. I think he would be a good hire that could potentially be a great hire.

I was just about to post this exact same thing. I'm not sure how good of a X and O coach he is right now, but he is a smart man who surrounded himself with proven coaches at all levels. His gift is to recruit, lead, motivate. I think wherever he goes he will have success because he will surround himself with the right people to assist in areas he may be weak in.

WhiskeyPirate
11-07-2022, 09:17 AM
Deion is going to be the next coach at Miss State, I saw a thread on the Ole Miss board promoting this idea. They loved the idea.

It would be a good match with our fan base.

EdwardDrayton
11-07-2022, 09:30 AM
Deion is going to be the next coach at Miss State, I saw a thread on the Ole Miss board promoting this idea. They loved the idea.

Hard to see him choosing Mississippi State over the other opportunities he will have.

SilentSteel16
11-07-2022, 09:33 AM

We all know how your predictions turn out…..

WhiskeyPirate
11-07-2022, 09:33 AM
Hard to see him choosing Mississippi State over the other opportunities he will have.

I think he will replace Leach. It was weird seeing Ole Miss fans promoting this idea though. I can definitely see it.

Bdawg
11-07-2022, 10:39 AM
I could see boom or bust. Is NIL good enough to help him recruit(because that’s what’s helping him now)? Players normally go to the money. Dieon brings some name recognition. Is that enough for recruits over money? Can he get the right coordinators? His experience sure is lacking when it comes to being an SEC coach. It may be worth the risk but I’m not sure. Guess it all depends who is interested in your job too.

Goldendawg
11-07-2022, 10:46 AM
I'm sure NIL is getting some higher out of state to live in Jackson with its problems. Heard story on radio this past week that Deion's son got his pickup broken into on campus I believe and clothing stolen. They cut out a door glass and left it on the ground. He correctly said, "This has got to stop!"

Duckdog
11-07-2022, 12:02 PM

Yeah, his school in Dallas did real well. HAHAHAHAHA what a joke.

Homedawg
11-07-2022, 12:42 PM
Hire Deion tomorrow. We'd have 5 star talent and he'd bring 5 star coaches and notoriety to our program. No more flipmas in December and teams not playing hard. The university would be pumped, the kids excited, and winning would happen.

5 star talent?? Ok.

bulldawg28
11-08-2022, 10:45 AM
5 star talent?? Ok.

What would be the reason he wouldn't? You obvisouly don't understand the culture of recruiting. Jackson state would probably beat us this year.

BrunswickDawg
11-08-2022, 11:15 AM
5 star talent?? Ok.

Well, he signed the #1 recruit in the country in '22 -https://247sports.com/player/travis-hunter-46084728/

msstate7
11-08-2022, 11:27 AM
Well, he signed the #1 recruit in the country in '22 -https://247sports.com/player/travis-hunter-46084728/

How much was the NIL deal?

HancockCountyDog
11-08-2022, 11:31 AM
How much was the NIL deal?

My understanding it was close to a million through Barstool.

Deion will move the needle wherever he goes. If you don't have a NIL war chest for him to use, then all the swag in the world won't help him on the recruiting trail.

I'd be fine with hiring Deion. I think AU could do a lot worse than Deion.

If I'm AU, my list would be:

1) Lane - make him turn down 80+ million
2) Dan Lanning - I'd at least ask
3) Deion - make sure to have a bunch of NIL money for him
4) Freeze - Burner phone, lock his twitter account, and put trackers on his car
5) Mark Stoops - They could do a lot worse

TrapGame
11-08-2022, 11:36 AM
My understanding it was close to a million through Barstool.

Deion will move the needle wherever he goes. If you don't have a NIL war chest for him to use, then all the swag in the world won't help him on the recruiting trail.

I'd be fine with hiring Deion. I think AU could do a lot worse than Deion.

If I'm AU, my list would be:

1) Lane - make him turn down 80+ million
2) Dan Lanning - I'd at least ask
3) Deion - make sure to have a bunch of NIL money for him
4) Freeze - Burner phone, lock his twitter account, and put trackers on his car
5) Mark Stoops - They could do a lot worse

Word is after the win over Arkansas the Sexton phone lines were burning down for requests for an interview.

There's a very good chance Freeze gets a P5 job.

HancockCountyDog
11-08-2022, 12:04 PM
What would be the reason he wouldn't? You obvisouly don't understand the culture of recruiting. Jackson state would probably beat us this year.

Are you talking about on the field? If so, this is the dumbest take in the history of takes on ED.

You actually believe Jackson State would be MSU in a football game played in the 2022 season. I really think this should be forced to be a warning label on all of your future posts.

bulldawg28
11-08-2022, 01:35 PM
Are you talking about on the field? If so, this is the dumbest take in the history of takes on ED.

You actually believe Jackson State would be MSU in a football game played in the 2022 season. I really think this should be forced to be a warning label on all of your future posts.

Jackson state would take us to the wire with our 5 passing plays. Deion's son is better than Will. Their top 3 WR'S are 4 stars transfers from Tennessee & Florida state along with 4 & 5 star high school signees. Their DL is packed with power 5 SEC transfers and legitimate teams. They'd apply all sorts of pressure on Will. If we played them in Jackson we'd definitely lose that game.

HancockCountyDog
11-08-2022, 07:11 PM
Jackson state would take us to the wire with our 5 passing plays. Deion's son is better than Will. Their top 3 WR'S are 4 stars transfers from Tennessee & Florida state along with 4 & 5 star high school signees. Their DL is packed with power 5 SEC transfers and legitimate teams. They'd apply all sorts of pressure on Will. If we played them in Jackson we'd definitely lose that game.

I don't think you grasp the difference in talent between a SWAC school and an SEC team.

Deion himself has talked about not playing games against P5 schools because his team can't compete against those teams. They struggled to beat Campbell, TN State and Alabama State.

Deion has done great at JSU. I think it is great for their school, but to think that they would be able to hang with a solid SEC program is just ignorant. We beat Arkansas and A&M by double digits, yet you think JSU would hang with us? There are no words.

Westdawg
11-08-2022, 07:52 PM

Look, I agree in that JSU has more athletic talent and coaching talent than anyone at another HBCU?but my dude, you have smoked yourself stupid to think they would compete at all against any SEC team right now, even the likes of Vandy would beat them. I?m not sure if you?ve even actually WATCHED any of their games this year or just read the press clippings. I?ve watched all but two of their games. His QB son is nowhere near as accurate as Will?..and that goes for every position on the team?maybe save their Mike backer.

PikeDawg15
11-08-2022, 07:59 PM
Jackson State would lose to a bad SEC team like Mizzou by 30 points

I will say this

Jackson State could stay within 14 points of Southern Miss or La Tech.

Bothrops
11-08-2022, 08:04 PM
Jackson State would lose to a bad SEC team like Mizzou by 30 points

I will say this

Jackson State could stay within 14 points of Southern Miss or La Tech.

Jackson State would beat USM

yjnkdawg
11-08-2022, 11:59 PM
Word is after the win over Arkansas the Sexton phone lines were burning down for requests for an interview.

There's a very good chance Freeze gets a P5 job.

I think he definitely will be in the running for a P5 job somewhere, but not in the SEC, unless the SEC Office will give their blessings to a school in the SEC who wanted to hire him, but I don't think the SEC Office is ready to do that or to welcome him back to the SEC right now. If any SEC school did decide to hire him and the SEC office didn't want him back then that would be a stupid move.

SilentSteel16
11-09-2022, 09:09 AM

People can say what they want about our recruiting, BUT thank God you are not in control of our recruiting.

bulldawg28
11-09-2022, 03:53 PM
Lol, some of you guys don't realize how simple it is to stop our offense and rattle our Qb. This team had the potential to beat a top SEC team and lose to a terrible SEC team like Auburn. All of this pride SEC talk only works for a consistent team. We're not a consistent team.

Pancho
11-09-2022, 04:22 PM
Weird how JSU is made up of so many transfers from bigger name programs. all a sudden deion give a pep talk and they all world players for the next 3 hours. keep on smokin that good shit right there.

bulldawg28
11-09-2022, 05:37 PM
Weird how JSU is made up of so many transfers from bigger name programs. all a sudden deion give a pep talk and they all world players for the next 3 hours. keep on smokin that good shit right there.

The pep talk is obviously working there. He'd also do more with the talent we have than Leach currently is.

WhiskeyPirate
11-09-2022, 07:11 PM
The pep talk is obviously working there. He'd also do more with the talent we have than Leach currently is.

Our strength of schedule is #5, will end up higher.

JSU SOS is #141

You are not very bright

basedog
11-09-2022, 07:19 PM
Well if u some think PT would be a dumb hire, Joe Mo and Only Color That Matters Croom say, "Hold My Beer!"

bulldawg28
11-09-2022, 09:22 PM
Our strength of schedule is #5, will end up higher.

JSU SOS is #141

You are not very bright

That strength of schedule was done prior to the season started. The teams we've beaten are pretty bad. As a matter of fact I don't know if we've currently beaten 2 teams with a current winning record. I would suggest you're not very bright and not pursuing facts. We've also lost to every team with a pulse.

WhiskeyPirate
11-09-2022, 09:46 PM
That strength of schedule was done prior to the season started. The teams we've beaten are pretty bad. As a matter of fact I don't know if we've currently beaten 2 teams with a current winning record. I would suggest you're not very bright and not pursuing facts. We've also lost to every team with a pulse.

SOS was #2 to start the year and currently #5, will end up higher after playing #1 and #11

Yea, it’s really tough to win in the swac when you are buying P5 players with NIL and everyone else has no NIL money and has a team full of scrubs

Brilliant analysis

bulldawg28
11-09-2022, 09:52 PM
SOS was #2 to start the year and currently #5, will end up higher after playing #1 and #11

Yea, it’s really tough to win in the swac when you are buying P5 players with NIL and everyone else has no NIL money and has a team full of scrubs

Brilliant analysis

If he bought players he did nothing wrong. SEC Players transfer to HBCU's other than Jackson state. Also, I'm still waiting on those teams with a winning record we've beaten. There are also plenty of teams in the SEC that have played #1 and #11 at some point in the season. The difference is we're losing to them guaranteed. But we're the superior team, right?

WhiskeyPirate
11-09-2022, 09:57 PM
If he bought players he did nothing wrong. SEC Players transfer to HBCU's other than Jackson state. Also, I'm still waiting on those teams with a winning record we've beaten. There are also plenty of teams in the SEC that have played #1 and #11 at some point in the season. The difference is we're losing to them guaranteed. But we're the superior team, right?

We aren’t superior to JSU because we lose to #1 and #11 teams in the country ?

Good logic dummy

Thick
11-09-2022, 10:10 PM
He brought his high school team to Mississippi and got whipped by a private school the season before JSY hired him. He has much better talent than anyone he's playing against due to NIL money. I wouldn't think about hiring him until he proves what he can do in a bigger conference against equal talent.

?Whipped??.MRA won bc PT got cute inside the MRA 5 yard with a trick play and turned it over. If not, they would have put the game away right there. MRA turned it into 7 points, and won the game 27-26. I agree that PT hasn?t proven anything to justify an SEC offer in my opinion, but I?m interested to see what he does vs talented opponents.

Schultzy
11-09-2022, 10:29 PM
Deion Sanders will stay at JSU until he gets a blue blood offer he likes imo.

bulldawg28
11-10-2022, 07:07 AM
We aren’t superior to JSU because we lose to #1 and #11 teams in the country ?

Good logic dummy

Name me the teams that have a winning record that we've beaten. You keep ignoring how dominant we are, remember? Our schedule is so tough that every team we play are giants.

Come on dummy

Pancho
11-10-2022, 07:52 AM
I'd like to see PT and his team play the same SEC schedule that Leach did this year just to see how Deion stacks up. I figure he come in least 2nd in the west, don't u figure? I mean since he gots all that talent and all, right?

bulldawg28
11-10-2022, 08:32 AM
I'd like to see PT and his team play the same SEC schedule that Leach did this year just to see how Deion stacks up. I figure he come in least 2nd in the west, don't u figure? I mean since he gots all that talent and all, right?

Lol, I never said they'd win the SEC. I said they'd win or have a very competitive game with a Leach led team. However, they'd definitely beat us on the road. We're obviously afraid of opponents grass.

basedog
11-10-2022, 08:35 AM
Jsu only gets 65 scholarships, they aren't a D1 program, but you have to give PT credit to what he has done and achieved at Jsu. I'm amazed and impressed, hell, who would want to live in the city of Jackson with all the crime, water, sewer, roads and many other problems?

Duckdog
11-10-2022, 09:32 AM
Lol, I never said they'd win the SEC. I said they'd win or have a very competitive game with a Leach led team. However, they'd definitely beat us on the road. We're obviously afraid of opponents grass.

You have to be trolling. No way they would even score.

Westdawg
11-10-2022, 09:48 AM
I absolutely LOVE what Deion has done at JSU and for small schools/HBCUs around the country, as well as off the field to address issues within Jackson as a whole?.
Having said that, you literally do not know what you are talking about if you think that JSU would win if we played each other for a full season of games. Sure, they have a lot of D 1 transfers, but again, you have not watched that team at all this season if you think they would beat us OR have a comparable season (W/L) to ours if they took our current schedule. I?ve watched all but two of their games and caught highlights of one of those?.they are better than their competition, but even Vandy would roll them over?.and to think they could remotely compete against anyone in the SEC is ludicrous. Just stop making yourself look stupid.