PDA

View Full Version : Shout out to Jon Wilner

Quaoarsking
11-06-2022, 03:31 PM
https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline

The only AP Poll voter to include us on his ballot, and he put us at #18. The one true believer among the voters. And if you're the kind of guy who watches these things weekly, he tends to be one of the better voters.

Anti-shout-out to Robbie Faulk. Every other P5 team gets the local voter to overrank them a bit, but no, not us.

Dawgface
11-06-2022, 03:33 PM
I just don't understand the lack of respect for our team.**

PikeDawg15
11-06-2022, 03:33 PM
We arent a top 25 team

I do agree on the screw Robbie Faulk train, just rank robbie, you were given vote so take advantage of it, even if it isnt honest.

Others are lying when they cast that ballot

Lord McBuckethead
11-06-2022, 03:36 PM
Disagree. Robbie has his vote and he votes how he sees it. Our shitty offense is not too 25 quality.

Quaoarsking
11-06-2022, 03:36 PM
We arent a top 25 team

I would argue that we are a top 25 a lot more than UCF, Liberty, Illinois, Tulane, probably Kansas State and Washington.

And even if we aren't (since it's a subjective question), we should want to be ranked anyway, because "top 25" teams get a lot more attention than "unranked" teams. We want the media pumping up us whether or not we subjectively "deserve" it.

I think the new AD should make it a top priority to put the full-court press on AP voters in every sport, sending weekly updates and arguments/spin on why we should be ranked. An email should have been sent last night to every voter highlighting how we're 6-3 on a tough schedule, comparing the recruiting rankings of the teams we've beat, etc.

Goldendawg
11-06-2022, 03:37 PM
We had two weeks to get ready for an AU team in disarray. Cadillac and his gutted staff had 3 days to get ready for us. Our win was not exactly the type to put you back in the Top 25.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-06-2022, 03:38 PM
We arent a top 25 team

I do agree on the screw Robbie Faulk train, just rank robbie, you were given vote so take advantage of it, even if it isnt honest.

Others are lying when they cast that ballot

I don't know about that. It seems like there isn't a large difference between 14 and 44. Ole Miss is 8-1 and we are 6-3. We would probably be 8-1 with their schedule and they would probably be 6-3 with our schedule. Liberty is 8-1 and ranked #19. We would be 8-1 or 9-0 with their schedule. I doubt they would be 6-3 with our schedule.

Quaoarsking
11-06-2022, 03:38 PM
We had two weeks to get ready for an AU team in disarray. Cadillac and his gutted staff had 3 days to get ready for us. Our win was not exactly the type to put you back in the Top 25.

My point is that we should want to be regardless and try to make it happen, since the rankings are made up anyway.

EdwardDrayton
11-06-2022, 03:41 PM
Sports fans are very aware when teams visit the poll for a brief vacation from anonymity and then get bounced right back out again. We don’t want to be the next James Madison joke.

Quaoarsking
11-06-2022, 03:43 PM
Sports fans are very aware when teams visit the poll for a brief vacation from anonymity and then get bounced right back out again. We don’t want to be the next James Madison joke.

Yes we do? It's always better to be ranked than unranked. 100% of the time.

CadaverDawg
11-06-2022, 03:44 PM
Wilner sounds like an idiot that doesn't watch games.

Goldendawg
11-06-2022, 03:44 PM
My point is that we should want to be regardless and try to make it happen, since they're the rankings are made up anyway.

We all want a Top 25 or better ranking and team. Our roller coaster lack of playing a 4 quarter game on offense has and is preventing this. Win 2 of the next three and watch what happens. Hail State!

EdwardDrayton
11-06-2022, 03:46 PM
Yes we do? It's always better to be ranked than unranked. 100% of the time.

I mean I get the point Q. Some folks believe any kind of ‘publicity’ is good. The truth for us unfortunately is it probably doesn’t matter if we’re in for a week or not.

Quaoarsking
11-06-2022, 03:48 PM
Wilner sounds like an idiot that doesn't watch games.

0 other fanbases in the Power Five would be saying this about the one poll voter that ranked their team. Not a single one. What the hell is wrong with us? Why do we have such an inferiority complex?

Cooterpoot
11-06-2022, 03:52 PM
0 other fanbases in the Power Five would be saying this about the one poll voter that ranked their team. Not a single one. What the hell is wrong with us? Why do we have such an inferiority complex?

You obviously have never been to other schools' message boards. This is tame.

Quaoarsking
11-06-2022, 03:52 PM
You obviously have never been to other schools' message boards. This is tame.

I've dabbled a bit, but I don't go much. I've never seen anyone insult an AP voter for ranking them too high. Too low, sure, just like I just did to the Robbie Faulk.

State82
11-06-2022, 03:58 PM
I have no idea why the AP even puts a FBS poll out at this point. There is only one poll that matters at all and it comes out Tuesday. AP is completely useless.

CadaverDawg
11-06-2022, 04:12 PM

I didn't say I wasn't glad he voted for us. Just that he's an idiot for doing it, bc if he watched us last night he would know we are undeserving

CovertDawg
11-06-2022, 04:38 PM
Just look at the Massey Composite Rankings. It has us 19th and combines all the analytics rankings systems. It is much more in line with the oddsmakers than either the AP or Coaches Poll. https://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

parabrave
11-06-2022, 05:16 PM
Just look at the Massey Composite Rankings. It has us 19th and combines all the analytics rankings systems. It is much more in line with the oddsmakers than either the AP or Coaches Poll. https://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

I just looked at the southern living Football index poll sponsored by Betty Crocker and it still has Ole Miss as National Champions. And in 1962 this is just as useless and irrelevant as are the AP and UPI now. Only one poll matters and that is the CFP.

State82
11-06-2022, 07:26 PM
I just looked at the southern living Football index poll sponsored by Betty Crocker and it still has Ole Miss as National Champions. And in 1962 this is just as useless and irrelevant as are the AP and UPI now. Only one poll matters and that is the CFP.

Word