PDA

View Full Version : Game Today and the Stadium

HereComesTheSpiral
04-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Had the pleasure to go to the baseball game today with my dad and his' friend from college and they were talking about how the stadium was back in their time in college and all the good times they had at that stadium. We were the first to build these mega stadiums when every other school could give two shits about college baseball. The stadium is outdated and can not hold the larger crowds, I know we only see them a few times a year. You can not get to the bathroom or the concessions. I showed them a picture of Isotopes Park and they were impressed and said they would put the money down for multiple season tickets. I think it is time to reclaim our spot as the number one stadium in college baseball.

WeWillScrewItUp
04-20-2013, 09:25 PM
Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to Starkville this weekend but I am all for an upgrade to our stadium. I have heard many old timers as they call themselves talk about how great it used to be. I think it is still great with the lounges and all making it so special but it seems a little out of date. We really need to work on the grandstands and (someone mentioned it on another thread) but an addition in right field being a terrace or something for a designated student section for those without access to a lounge.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-20-2013, 09:30 PM
It needs to be bulldozed and started from scratch. We just built a football only facility (???) for the cost it would take to build a new stadium in baseball.

Homedawg
04-20-2013, 09:33 PM
It needs to be bulldozed and started from scratch. We just built a football only facility (???) for the cost it would take to build a new stadium in baseball.
It cost 3.5 million to build the stadium in 87. We've added an addition to that. 25 years later. I'll take a guess based on lsu's 15-20 mil.

msstate7
04-20-2013, 09:41 PM
How much did trustmark cost to build?

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-20-2013, 09:48 PM
a new baseball stadium would be 25 - 30 million. I mean, that is what it would cost to get the LSU / USC stadium. I actually dont love LSUs stadium. Ive been to a ton of games there. I prefer USC or Baum but if we bulldozed it would be around 25. We already have the field, scoreboard, outfield. The grandstand and suites need to be scraped.

I think LSU spent around 33 million in 2009 and again, I dont love it. Doesnt have a college feel to it. Grant it, it is nice but just doesnt do it for me. Was there 2 weeks ago.

engie
04-20-2013, 09:52 PM
That was me on the terrace...

The way I see it -- we had the best stadium in college baseball without comparison for 15-20 years. Dudy Noble was mostly completed in 85. Baum was built in 1996 -- but it didn't become "better" than DNF till 2003(at the earliest). It was just designed in a modular fashion -- where it could be expanded easily and quickly(even and especially the luxury seating).

Now, today, we are the 5th best stadium in the SEC west. I'm against doing ANYTHING to DNF if it doesn't make it that which everything else is measured by again. No need to slap any more lipstick on it at this point IMO.

I say we leave the field and outfield alone(besides building a big ass terrace in right -- which upon looking closer today would obviously need to be built up a good bit) -- and the scoreboard would probably have to be raised. Tear the rest of it down and start over from scratch with a Baum/Trustmark Park/Isotopes approach with open concourses. Start out with a club lounge for maybe 500 below the pressbox with covered outdoor seating -- and about 36 skyboxes(double what is currently at DNF) in the same basic design. Put in 8k chairbacks.

Pay for it with multi-year seating CGA's on the premium seating -- the same way OM is paying for their basketball arena and in Bulldog Club funding. Let everyone know up front that we intend to make it the premiere College Baseball experience once again, that it won't be cheap but will be worth it -- and roll from there.

Total price - $25-30 mil

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-20-2013, 10:02 PM
thanks for the repeater Engie.

YEs, we also need to build up the rfl and LFL with dirt and also CFL. The CFL is way underutlized. Also, we need to charge more out there or at least make it the same as premium seating. We also need a student section. RFL around the visitors bullpen / bleachers.

However, our press box is awful. Our suites are AWFUL. Our chairback are ok but there are no concessions or bathrooms. It needs to be bulldozed but dont get lazy and build a double A stadium like LSU. Think outside the box and let HOK come up with something kickass that is unique to MSU that people come to and go...."damn, this is it for college baseball until everyone copies us the next 20 years". Basically, what dudy noble use to be.

Scoreboard doesnt need to be raised, just replaced and made all digital. FYI, it will take back to back world series before they are serious about doing any of this. Know this for fact.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-20-2013, 10:13 PM
How much did trustmark cost to build?

Per Wikipedia, Trustmark cost $28MM to build from the ground up; we already have the field, parking, and all the other amenities. We just need the stadium to surround them. I think we should put in a pro shop like pro stadiums and market the greatest asset our baseball team has, the diamond girls. They need a calender and photo ops with the kids. Instead of all the bullshit on the jumbotron, involve fans on the field similar to the football games between quarters and at halftime. We also need some sort of promotion similar to Trustmark and thirsty Thursday. Maybe $2 Tuesday where everything is $2 from admission to the concessions.

engie
04-20-2013, 10:20 PM
I'm talking about the height of the scoreboard with a berm in place... I'd think at minimum, it needs to go up 8-10 ft to allow people to see underneath it(thus making the berm essentially twice as big)...

I'm fine with Stricklin being mum about saying exactly what the long-term plan is until the ACTUAL attendance gets alot better. It started to recover last year and has been a good bit better this year. If this team does what it should, it'll be as good as it's ever been next season -- and we can start talking about what the next step is. As is, we're due for a MAJOR overhaul -- because we need double the premium seating that we've got now -- and we are selling out box seat season tickets.

That said, fear not, Janet Marie Smith has been involved with the future master plan for DNF for 2+ years now. No better architect in the country to accomplish exactly what we want aesthetically and atmosphere-wise at DNF than the MSU alum that was responsible for the tremendous, award-winning renovation to Camden Yards.

msstate7
04-20-2013, 10:25 PM
I'm talking about the height of the scoreboard with a berm in place... I'd think at minimum, it needs to go up 8-10 ft to allow people to see underneath it(thus making the berm essentially twice as big)...

I'm fine with Stricklin being mum about saying exactly what the long-term plan is until the ACTUAL attendance gets alot better. It started to recover last year and has been a good bit better this year. If this team does what it should, it'll be as good as it's ever been next season -- and we can start talking about what the next step is. As is, we're due for a MAJOR overhaul -- because we need double the premium seating that we've got now -- and we are selling out box seat season tickets.

That said, fear not, Janet Marie Smith has been involved with the future master plan for DNF for 2+ years now. No better architect in the country to accomplish exactly what we want aesthetically and atmosphere-wise at DNF than the MSU alum that was responsible for the tremendous, award-winning renovation to Camden Yards.

Love Camden yards. Be nice if maholm and paps helped us out financially

HereComesTheSpiral
04-20-2013, 10:26 PM

Now she's renovating Dodger Stadium.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-20-2013, 10:30 PM
well then the scoreboard needs to be moved completely then. The cost to raise it, may as well move it.

Im fine with her designing it as long as it is unique. We arent the most forward thinkers and need to make sure we do this shit right. If they even THINK about renovating what we have, that says it all. It cant be done. Needs to start over. If we have to play somewhere else a year, so be it.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-20-2013, 10:40 PM
well then the scoreboard needs to be moved completely then. The cost to raise it, may as well move it.

Im fine with her designing it as long as it is unique. We arent the most forward thinkers and need to make sure we do this shit right. If they even THINK about renovating what we have, that says it all. It cant be done. Needs to start over. If we have to play somewhere else a year, so be it.

Renovating The Dude sends me the message of good enough. Tells me we don't want to be the best stadium in the country anymore but that it is good enough for you to come to. Just throwing some paint on that old park is a slap in the face to the fans.