PDA

View Full Version : Strength of Schedule - OM and Us

Goldendawg
11-03-2022, 12:54 PM
When looking at OM early success, I also considered that they had cupcakes for the 1st 6 or 7 games compared to us. as the season has played out to date, I now think they are somewhat similar due to both being in SEC West. My thoughts:

1. OOC Games - We both go 4-0 after we beat ETS easily, however they had some trouble with both Tulsa and Troy.

2. We both lose to LSU at their place, but even though we didn't show up in second half, they got stomped.

3. aTm - We handle at home and they barely beat at their place.

4. We handle AR at home. OM TBD at AR,

5. bama - We don't show up as usual (home or way over the years). OM TBD at their place.

6. AU - OM barely beats at home. MSU TBD at our place.

7. They get vandy forever. We get GA TWO years in a row. (Thanks for nothing SEC Office)

8. KY - We don't show up there. KY gives them the game at OM.

9. State at OM. We could be in a position to win even at their place.

My humble opinion - Except for having Ga to their forever vandy, we take care of LSU and KY, we are in Top 10 or 15 with similar schedules and TBD games still coming to "Tell The Tale". Hail State!

Coach34
11-03-2022, 12:59 PM
Fairly similar....UPig has played the country's toughest schedule

WhiskeyPirate
11-03-2022, 01:04 PM
When looking at OM early success, I also considered that they had cupcakes for the 1st 6 or 7 games compared to us. as the season has played out to date, I now think they are somewhat similar due to both being in SEC West. My thoughts:

1. OOC Games - We both go 4-0 after we beat ETS easily, however they had some trouble with both Tulsa and Troy.

2. We both lose to LSU at their place, but even though we didn't show up in second half, they got stomped.

5. bama - We don't show up as usual (home or way over the years). OM TBD at their place.

7. They get vandy forever. We get GA TWO years in a row. (Thanks for nothing SEC Office)

My humble opinion - Except for having Ga to their forever vandy, we take care of LSU and KY, we are in Top 10 or 15 with similar schedules and TBD games still coming to "Tell The Tale". Hail State!
Good post, they have a hostess cupcake schedule and yes we would be 8-1 with their schedule. UK at home we would beat and they would lose on the road. We aren’t good enough to beat UK on the road without Sharp(our line is already a,little shaky) and Johnson our best rb.

Next year the scenarios get flipped, we get an easy schedule and they get a much harder schedule. This is one more reason Lane will leave for auburn after this year.

Homedawg
11-03-2022, 01:40 PM
All that goes out the window thanksgiving night.

Commercecomet24
11-03-2022, 01:43 PM
All that goes out the window thanksgiving night.

This. The Egg Bowl is one of the least predictable football games in the history of football.

Goldendawg
11-03-2022, 02:28 PM
This. The Egg Bowl is one of the least predictable football games in the history of football.

If we beat AU and look good doing it, beat ETS badly, and play well against GA, OM could be our first big road win! Disclaimer: I know, "If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bust his tail every time he jumps!".

LC Dawg
11-03-2022, 04:29 PM

I agree with all that but Kentucky. Ole Miss beat Kentucky and Kentucky whipped our ass. No need to sugarcoat it.
At this point we just need to win at least 3 out of the last 4, go to a mediocre bowl, and call it a year.

PGHBulldogBG
11-03-2022, 05:15 PM
Ole Miss will most likely be 9-2 going into the Egg Bowl and State 7-4. Should be similar to last year. We need to beat them if we don’t want to see them in another NY6 bowl.

AROB44
11-03-2022, 05:19 PM

Not sure about that. It has seemed to me that when OM has the better team, they win. If we have the better team, we don't always win. That's just been my observation since I enrolled in 1961.

Todd4State
11-03-2022, 05:31 PM
Not sure about that. It has seemed to me that when OM has the better team, they win. If we have the better team, we don't always win. That's just been my observation since I enrolled in 1961.

Except in 2001 when Kevin Fant beat Eli.

Todd4State
11-03-2022, 05:33 PM
I agree with all that but Kentucky. Ole Miss beat Kentucky and Kentucky whipped our ass. No need to sugarcoat it.
At this point we just need to win at least 3 out of the last 4, go to a mediocre bowl, and call it a year.

We scored 17 on the road against UK. Ole Miss scored 22.

We allowed 27 on the road against Kentucky. Ole Miss allowed 20

Not really that different except you have to kind of take into account the fact that Kentucky has never won a SEC West road contest with Stoops.

WSOPdawg
11-03-2022, 05:50 PM
Good post, they have a hostess cupcake schedule and yes we would be 8-1 with their schedule. UK at home we would beat and they would lose on the road. We aren’t good enough to beat UK on the road without Sharp(our line is already a,little shaky) and Johnson our best rb.

Do we know when we can expect DJ and Sharpe back? This weekend, maybe???

DownwardDawg
11-03-2022, 06:19 PM
Fairly similar....UPig has played the country's toughest schedule

And Upig is gonna beat ole miss.

lastmajordog
11-03-2022, 06:24 PM
Egg bowl 15.....a most disappointing team, I told coach that considering om’s defense and the DOGS TEAM THE DOGS WOULD lose, even though “Dak Prescott won’t lose his senior year egg bowl in Davis wade”....... I truly hope CML will somehow do something different and win in ox.......Please...Please do what has to be done to win in the grove....

LC Dawg
11-03-2022, 07:13 PM
We scored 17 on the road against UK. Ole Miss scored 22.

We allowed 27 on the road against Kentucky. Ole Miss allowed 20

Not really that different except you have to kind of take into account the fact that Kentucky has never won a SEC West road contest with Stoops.

I was alluding more to the statement that we didn't show up for the Kentucky game and Kentucky gave the game to Ole Miss. They won and we lost. It happens.
I will add that we only scored 10 offensive points against Kentucky and it sure felt like an ass whipping while I was watching it.

Commercecomet24
11-03-2022, 07:33 PM

I'm gonna go back and get the exact numbers but I know for sure we've beaten them at least a half dozen times in the last 40 years when they've been favored and it's probably more than that. Then you've got the weird games like the immaculate deflection, the pick and kick, and some other really odd games along the way that make it very unpredictable. 2013 when Dak came off the bench they were favored and 2001 when fant beat Eli are recent ones but I'm gonna get the exact number.

PikeDawg15
11-03-2022, 07:59 PM

I mean, you are kinda correct but

2009 OM was better State won
2013 OM was better state won
2016 OM was better state won

2014 we were both pretty even, I think we were slightly better. We would have won if it was in Starkville. Ole Miss was more up for that game than any game ever.

PikeDawg15
11-03-2022, 08:08 PM
Egg bowl 15.....a most disappointing team, I told coach that considering om’s defense and the DOGS TEAM THE DOGS WOULD lose, even though “Dak Prescott won’t lose his senior year egg bowl in Davis wade”....... I truly hope CML will somehow do something different and win in ox.......Please...Please do what has to be done to win in the grove....

Weirdly enough. We play better in Oxford than starkville. 2 of the last 3 oxford egg bowls have been State blow outs by 30+

WhiskeyPirate
11-03-2022, 08:18 PM
Ole miss sec record 2009 4-4, 2013 3-5, 2016 2-6

Todd4State
11-04-2022, 12:28 AM
I was alluding more to the statement that we didn't show up for the Kentucky game and Kentucky gave the game to Ole Miss. They won and we lost. It happens.
I will add that we only scored 10 offensive points against Kentucky and it sure felt like an ass whipping while I was watching it.

And I will add that not all 22 of Ole Miss's points were scored by their offense either.

BrunswickDawg
11-04-2022, 08:30 AM
Ole miss sec record 2009 4-4, 2013 3-5, 2016 2-6

MSU SEC record entering Egg Bowl - 2009: 2-5 (4-7), 2013: 2-5 (5-6), 2016: 2-5 (4-7)
OM SEC record entering Egg Bowl - 2009: 4-3 (8-3), 2013: 3-4 (7-4), 2016: 2-5 (5-6)

WhiskeyPirate
11-04-2022, 08:50 AM
MSU SEC record entering Egg Bowl - 2009: 2-5 (4-7), 2013: 2-5 (5-6), 2016: 2-5 (4-7)
OM SEC record entering Egg Bowl - 2009: 4-3 (8-3), 2013: 3-4 (7-4), 2016: 2-5 (5-6)

Really some bad teams in that era

biscuit
11-04-2022, 09:03 AM
Ole Miss NEVER wins in Fayetteville. That is a definite loss. They won't beat Bama either.

confucius say
11-04-2022, 11:01 AM

That's pretty dreary for a 8-4 season.
That's really good for us. Especially considering we got uga.

WhiskeyPirate
11-04-2022, 12:26 PM

Of course. Number two sos and some with an obvious agenda start promoting a 10-2 season so they can turn around and bash leach. Always the narrative. Dishonest morons. 8-4 with this schedule is a very good year. 7-5 is nothing to be ashamed of when your losses are to Georgia, Alabama on the road, LSU on the road, ranked uk on the road and ranked ole miss on the road. What are we ? Ohio state ? Apparently we are a blue blood and the best coach since World War Two didn’t have a 33-39 sec record.

Look at this programs history, what a load of bullshit

LC Dawg
11-04-2022, 12:43 PM

I agree 8-4 is good. My initial comment was referencing the comment that (paraphrasing) we gave Kentucky the game and Kentucky gave Ole Miss the game. I think that trivializes SEC wins which are not easy to get. I do think at the end of the year the Kentucky game is going to be the game that's looked back on with the most regret. It was an away game that could have offset a most likely home loss to GA.
Also, we haven't won 8 yet. It could easily be a 7-5 year. That wouldn't be horrible against our SOS but it would be 3 consecutive Egg Bowl losses which is bad for morale.

Commercecomet24
11-04-2022, 01:09 PM
I agree 8-4 is good. My initial comment was referencing the comment that (paraphrasing) we gave Kentucky the game and Kentucky gave Ole Miss the game. I think that trivializes SEC wins which are not easy to get. I do think at the end of the year the Kentucky game is going to be the game that's looked back on with the most regret. It was an away game that could have offset a most likely home loss to GA.
Also, we haven't won 8 yet. It could easily be a 7-5 year. That wouldn't be horrible against our SOS but it would be 3 consecutive Egg Bowl losses which is bad for morale.

Good post! I agree.

hopemsu
11-04-2022, 04:21 PM
all this is logical, what is also logical to the eye test is that Kiffen is a better coach, has more excitement for his program right now - than we've had in years.

If Leach coached MSU 10 times against a Kiffen led Rebel team, i think we win 2

lastmajordog
11-04-2022, 07:47 PM
Ole Miss NEVER wins in Fayetteville. That is a definite loss. They won't beat Bama either.
With Lane I wouldn’t bet on that. Lane will beat Saban at some point. And they may well get drummed against bama and hogs.......but I darn sure would not bet on it. I’m just hoping CML will get sick of losing and and listening to all the crap the comes with losing ESPECIALLY in ox......looking bad losing is one thing.....looking bad and having to listen to the om BS is quite another.......If you haven’t walked out of VH after a loss I don’t think one can truly appreciate.

WhiskeyPirate
11-04-2022, 08:43 PM
Egg Bowl recent history : Dan was 3-4 when Ole Miss had 5 or more wins going into the game. Dan was 0-2 when Ole Miss had 8 or more wins going into the egg bowl.

Goldendawg
11-04-2022, 10:43 PM
Egg Bowl recent history : Dan was 3-4 when Ole Miss had 5 or more wins going into the game. Dan was 0-2 when Ole Miss had 8 or more wins going into the egg bowl.

That's not really bad considering he began his annual job search after drawing up against bama and the little effort spent on getting the team ready for OM his last few years at State.**

Coach34
11-04-2022, 11:47 PM
If you think this season will be good with a 7-5 record then you have a loser mentality and I feel sorry for you. You will also be very disappointed in the next couple of years when the same shit happens

Coach34
11-04-2022, 11:53 PM

Mullen was 5-4 vs Mississippi and while I'm pissed about his job interviews during Egg Bowl Week he did have a winning record vs Mississippi
Jackie was 7-6 vs Mississippi

Shitty JoVester was 2-0 vs Mississippi.
Leach is 0-2

Since the rivalry moved back to campus in 1991-31 years ago- State coaches have held the advantage over Mississippi until Leach.

If you dont think this Thanksgiving is HUGE- you're an idiot. No State coach has lost 3 in a row to them and kept their job in the last 60 years.

WhiskeyPirate
11-05-2022, 12:04 AM
Lol, no state coach has beat a ranked ole miss team on the road in 25 years

Again, dans record against ole miss teams with 8 wins. 0-2

His record against mediocre ole miss teams with five wins 3-4

He won when Ole Miss was way down, and when they were decent he crapped the bed.

SailingDawg
11-05-2022, 05:17 PM
If you think this season will be good with a 7-5 record then you have a loser mentality and I feel sorry for you. You will also be very disappointed in the next couple of years when the same shit happens

What's Miss State's record in your lifetime? What's Miss State's record all time?