PDA

View Full Version : RIP, Ray Guy

Commercecomet24
11-03-2022, 10:47 AM
Ray Guy passed away this morning. I know this is a State board but Ray was a pretty good dude and heck of an athlete. RIP, Ray!

Catfish
11-03-2022, 10:50 AM
One of the best punters ever. RIP, prayers to his family.

parabrave
11-03-2022, 11:19 AM
Dam. Drafted as a DB and punter.

Dawg_Lover
11-03-2022, 11:47 AM
I followed his career, from college through the NFL. And, even though I was not a Raiders fan, I still enjoyed the chance to see him play on TV. Side Note: With my husband being from So. Cali., it was a cardinal sin to pull for those misfits from Oakland. IMHO, he is still the best punter to ever play the game.
One thing I remember well is the helium controversy that involved Bum Phillips. It was like the Deflategate, of the 70s. Of course, Ray was finally exonerated. The following article is a good read about the whole debacle.
Rest In Peace, Ray Guy, and condolences to his loved ones.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2520297-nfl-urban-legends-ray-guy-and-the-helium-punt.amp.html

Commercecomet24
11-03-2022, 12:08 PM
Dam. Drafted as a DB and punter.

Played QB, Safety and punter/kicker at usm.

Commercecomet24
11-03-2022, 12:09 PM
Odd fact, the 2 arguably greatest punters ever, played college football in Mississippi. Ray at USM and Jerrell Wilson at PRCC.

Goldendawg
11-03-2022, 12:15 PM
Odd fact, the 2 arguably greatest punters ever, played college football in Mississippi. Ray at USM and Jerrell Wilson at PRCC.

Didn't look it up, but could it be they got plenty of practice punting on bad teams? "Show me a team with a good punter, I'll show you a bad football team", Bear Bryant. Started following the Raiders as a young boy in the 60s' ( Their winning kind of balanced out State losing.) Prayers to the Guy family.

basedog
11-03-2022, 12:16 PM
Played QB, Safety and punter/kicker at usm.

Hits home for me, I saw him play both as CB and punter at Usm, but he was an outstanding pitcher for them. He shut a very good Msu baseball team down back in 71 or 72. Seems like he had pro scouts following him and he may have been drafted. I also think he was a very good golfer.

RIP Ray Guy!

EdwardDrayton
11-03-2022, 12:44 PM
No doubt one of the best punters I have ever seen. Sad news.

Commercecomet24
11-03-2022, 01:03 PM
Hits home for me, I saw him play both as CB and punter at Usm, but he was an outstanding pitcher for them. He shut a very good Msu baseball team down back in 71 or 72. Seems like he had pro scouts following him and he may have been drafted. I also think he was a very good golfer.

RIP Ray Guy!

Hits home for me to, Base. I'm feeling older by the day. Ray was a tremendous athlete and could do just about anything, and yes he could've played baseball too. Guy was super fast as well. I remember Madden saying he was the best athlete on the raiders.

FISHDAWG
11-03-2022, 01:08 PM
Ray Guy passed away this morning. I know this is a State board but Ray was a pretty good dude and heck of an athlete. RIP, Ray!

sad news ... I met him at a golf tournament in Georgia and chatted briefly because I was raised not far from Hattiesburg and was struck by his easy going demeanor .... I always heard he had a 92 yard punt while at USM. And I believe he is the only player to ever hit the screen in the Superdome with a punt ... as a result the refs gave him a free kick

parabrave
11-03-2022, 01:11 PM
There were 2 great kickers in the State at the same time. Mike Patrick from Biloxi was MSUs Kicker. He played for the Patriots. I think he passed away a few years ago.

Martianlander
11-03-2022, 01:32 PM

If I remember correctly Wilson also punted for USM

Commercecomet24
11-03-2022, 01:35 PM

Yes he did. I forgot to add that. He also played DB.

Dawg_Lover
11-03-2022, 02:13 PM
If anyone is interested, there is a program about Ray Guy right now, on the NFL channel.

basedog
11-03-2022, 02:45 PM
sad news ... I met him at a golf tournament in Georgia and chatted briefly because I was raised not far from Hattiesburg and was struck by his easy going demeanor .... I always heard he had a 92 yard punt while at USM. And I believe he is the only player to ever hit the screen in the Superdome with a punt ... as a result the refs gave him a free kick

I want to say that 92-yard punt was against Ole Dixie. If I recall it was a missile that hit the ground and rolled so fast, it went thru the endo zone!

basedog
11-03-2022, 02:46 PM
There were 2 great kickers in the State at the same time. Mike Patrick from Biloxi was MSUs Kicker. He played for the Patriots. I think he passed away a few years ago.

Mike Patrick was a great punter for us! Has to be one of the best punters ever at Msu!

parabrave
11-03-2022, 02:50 PM
Hey BD did you know any of the players from the Sun Bowl team? My uncle grad from State in 1942 and my dad received his OCS training at State in 43 and this was the 1st time they saw them play since then.

Commercecomet24
11-03-2022, 02:50 PM
Mike Patrick was a great punter for us! Has to be one of the best punters ever at Msu!

Patrick was a stud!

basedog
11-03-2022, 02:54 PM
Hey BD did you know any of the players from the Sun Bowl team? My uncle grad from State in 1942 and my dad received his OCS training at State in 43 and this was the 1st time they saw them play since then.

Yes I did, I have a long story I could tell about my days at Msu, I actually signed with Msu back in the day.

basedog
11-03-2022, 02:54 PM
Patrick was a stud!

Yes he was!

Commercecomet24
11-03-2022, 03:00 PM
Yes he was!

He was way to young when he passed.

parabrave
11-03-2022, 03:04 PM
He was way to young when he passed.

And his late Bro in Law was a kicker at USM.

Cooterpoot
11-03-2022, 04:04 PM
Ray Guy was a hell of a good golfer too. He ran into some tough times later in life but he's a HOF in my book.

Ranchdawg
11-03-2022, 04:30 PM
My buddy down in the Dixie community Ms took a picture of Ray in 2020. I have that pic but don?t know how to post it.

My buddy said he saw Ray punt in a game at USM. He said the punt went out of the stadium. RIP Ray Guy

Commercecomet24
11-03-2022, 07:25 PM
Ray Guy was a hell of a good golfer too. He ran into some tough times later in life but he's a HOF in my book.

Yeah he had some tough times not that long ago, but he was a great guy. Like you said HOF

Saltydog
11-03-2022, 07:40 PM

Yep and his nickname was "Thunder Foot"..........

lastmajordog
11-03-2022, 08:01 PM
Ray made punters totally mega important.....RIP big man

Todd4State
11-04-2022, 12:31 AM
I want to say that 92-yard punt was against Ole Dixie. If I recall it was a missile that hit the ground and rolled so fast, it went thru the endo zone!

I thought it landed inside the 1? I've seen footage of it and it's hilarious because you see the Ole Miss return guy on the 50 or something like that and he just starts running backwards and the camera is just panning down the field.

TaleofTwoDogs
11-04-2022, 01:10 AM
Ray was a good football player and a great guy but his greatness will be remembered as a punter. Patrick led the SEC in punting one year and was a great one for us. He was the QB for Biloxi High and played against the great Gulfport team lead by Melvin Barkum who won the state title that year. Patrick passed away way to early.

FISHDAWG
11-04-2022, 08:32 AM

I had high school team mates on that Sun Bowl Team ... Donald Ray King and Ron Harper

FISHDAWG
11-04-2022, 08:38 AM
Not sure if there's any truth to this but I had always heard that Ray Guy mixed the football with 6.5 lbs of oxygen and 6.5 lbs of Helium ... which wasn't illegal because at the time the rules only said 13lbs of "air" pressure ... Then the NFL had to modify / clarify the rule to get around that .... Again, I don't know if it's true but that has stuck with me for a long time. I've reached that age where I have to question my memory on EVERYTHING

parabrave
11-04-2022, 11:39 AM
I had high school team mates on that Sun Bowl Team ... Donald Ray King and Ron Harper

Talking about the 74 team. My sis was a cheerleader on the 80 team and I stay in touch with a few of them.

parabrave
11-04-2022, 11:42 AM
Ray was a good football player and a great guy but his greatness will be remembered as a punter. Patrick led the SEC in punting one year and was a great one for us. He was the QB for Biloxi High and played against the great Gulfport team lead by Melvin Barkum who won the state title that year. Patrick passed away way to early.

Melvin was a great QB at Gulfport, Commodores. That was in the late 60's right after integration. Not very common having a black QB then.

Commercecomet24
11-04-2022, 11:48 AM
Talking about the 74 team. My sis was a cheerleader on the 80 team and I stay in touch with a few of them.

Better be careful you can get in trouble for that!

parabrave
11-04-2022, 12:08 PM
Better be careful you can get in trouble for that!

Think a few of the players spent too much time south of the border the previous night.

Commercecomet24
11-04-2022, 01:51 PM
Think a few of the players spent too much time south of the border the previous night.

lol I'm sure!