PDA

View Full Version : Uniform Debate

CadaverDawg
11-26-2013, 06:07 PM
I am not speaking directly at anybody on this board or any board. But it drives me insane when I see things like "We better win now, or else it will just be embarrassing", in response to new uniforms, helmets, etc. why do people think this? If it's fun, recruits like them, fans get to see something different, and it excites the team....how can it be a bad thing?

I have never thought it was embarrassing to lose a game in different uniforms. It's not as if the team is different or anything. Do people think the uniforms had an impact on the result of the game?. It is a symbol of the game. No different than Snow Bowl. Yes, we got whipped, but the uniforms didn't make the whipping worse, or more embarrassing.

Sorry for the rant, I've just never understood that line of thinking. If this is a one time thing, and not a permanent change...I just don't see why our fans can't have fun with it and let that be it. It reminds me of when we did #HailState in the end zone and people said, "enough with the gimmicks!!" when we lost. How is a hashtag a gimmick, and how does it affect a game? I just don't get it, and wanted to rant about it for a second.

In my opinion, we need to make MSU a fun place for recruits, and to separate ourselves as much as possible, and gain attention when we can. This is a good way of doing it. If it gets a good response, do it again in the future.....if not, retire them forever. If we win, people will love them because we won...if we lose, people will hate them because we lost. Has nothing to do with the actual uniform.

If I had it my way, we would be the Oregon of the SEC. It's not like we're getting any closer to people not confusing us with Ole miss. We aren't a national brand. Why not do something fun and current to try and set ourselves apart? We will never have a classic uniform like Bama or LSU, because we have already killed that chance with hundreds of uniform changes....so why not go the opposite direction and give ourselves a recruiting edge because players want to experience new uniforms and extra attention every week? Just my thoughts.

Carry on.

Dawg61
11-26-2013, 06:11 PM
There's two kinds of people in this world Cad. 1. Those that can use a smart phone. 2. Those that wish it was still 1980.

RoverDog
11-26-2013, 06:12 PM
+1

CadaverDawg
11-26-2013, 06:12 PM
There's two kinds of people in this world Cad. 1. Those that can use a smart phone. 2. Those that wish it was still 1980.

Haha, that is a good point, 61

engie
11-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Agreed 100%...

I love the alternate UNIs. And I'm excited about all the stuff Adidas has coming for the baseball team -- which is basically being made into their flagship baseball school...

Dawg61
11-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Agreed 100%...

I love the alternate UNIs. And I'm excited about all the stuff Adidas has coming for the baseball team -- which is basically being made into their flagship baseball school...

I love that Adidas is excited to break into baseball and be a player right away! I used to be all about Nike but that's changing for me in the last couple of years with Adidas becoming better in the basketball and football worlds. Is there any other D1 baseball schools that Adidas is targeting like MSU?

Goat Holder
11-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Varying our uniforms is just one more way MSU can be unique. I'm all for it. We don't have to be full-on Oregon. But different designs for different teams is something that MSU is the first one to do. Embrace it.

Of course, leave it to our fans to bitch about doing things outside the box. MSU needs much more 'outside the box' in my opinion. It's the only way we can be successful, because we aren't going to do it with sheer size, power, money, etc. Although more of those things certainly helps.

That's why I love our stadium 'expansion', complete with the godzillatron. Not adding a bunch of un-needed seats, rather creating less seats that make more money, while giving the stadium a unique but big-time SEC feel.

And fans bitch about that too.

BogeyGolfer
11-26-2013, 06:29 PM
I actually agree I like having a special uniform for the EggBowl... I don't want to do it all year long but maybe the Egg Bowl and one other game a year... Keeps things interesting...

Goat Holder
11-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Like what? I don't know that I'd like a bunch of new, flashy uniforms for baseball, if that's what you're talking about. I like our traditional ones in that sport, where we have history. Make them modern, sure, but don't deviate from the good stuff.

OldFatDog
11-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Well shit. I agreed with Cadaver. Which made rethink my position. And I still agreed with him. I'm all for going the "opposite direction" with uniforms.

mic
11-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Its real easy .. If you don't think the chrome helmets are sweet as hell... your 1 of 2 things.
1.) Wrong or 2.) a bearshark (because even they know they are fresh. just wont ever admit it)...

quickstrike2
11-26-2013, 07:04 PM
I like it. We do not have a traditional uniform that we have always used, so there is no reason not to mix it up. I guess we have had 3 different companies making our jerseys in the past few years and several different helmets so I like that we are introducing new stuff.

The chrome is the best yet in my opinion.

Dawgface
11-26-2013, 07:11 PM
Everyone doesn't like Oregon's uniforms. If that makes me a 1980 guy, fine.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2013, 07:16 PM

Yea, that makes you a 1980s guy.

jimbo352
11-26-2013, 08:10 PM
I totally understand why it's a good thing to mix it up with the uniforms. Recruits like that stuff I suppose, and it appears to get our guys fired up....

That doesn't mean I have to like it though.

Ronny
11-26-2013, 08:27 PM
How grown, heterosexual men can get so excited about football uniform fashion is beyond me.

Some of you would prefer the team look pretty & shiny than win.

My take? Go back to the late 1990's uniforms & helmets, sign some kind of contract this states this is our uniform from now until Jesus returns & no future changes shall be forthcoming. That'll shut this Beau Brummel shit down once & for all.

Dawg61
11-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Do you have a smartphone?

CadaverDawg
11-26-2013, 09:41 PM

Dawgface, I completely understand that, and that's why I didn't single out people in the OP. I think it's perfectly fine for people to not like the uniforms....I've just never understood the "why do we have to change uniforms!! Why the gimmicks!!" Mantra. So I agree...there have been several I do not like that we've worn...but if cruits, players, etc like em, I say go for it. You seem to be that way as well.

oldjoedawg
11-26-2013, 09:59 PM

I'm at 73 yrs. and 1980 was not a very good year for me, so count me among the ones who am fine with the deviations on unis at times.....Class of '62

CadaverDawg
11-26-2013, 10:19 PM
I'm at 73 yrs. and 1980 was not a very good year for me, so count me among the ones who am fine with the deviations on unis at times.....Class of '62

Much respect, oldjoe.

TheRef
11-26-2013, 10:29 PM
How grown, heterosexual men can get so excited about football uniform fashion is beyond me.

My take? Go back to the late 1990's uniforms & helmets, sign some kind of contract this states this is our uniform from now until Jesus returns & no future changes shall be forthcoming. That'll shut this Beau Brummel shit down once & for all.

Late 90's design is owned by Nike....just saying.

preachermatt83
11-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Much respect, oldjoe.

Hear, hear!

Dawgface
11-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Yea, that makes you a 1980s guy.

And you are a teenager.

DawgsBite34
11-26-2013, 11:16 PM

YES. Best uniforms in the history of football. The all white was sooooooooo clean

EngineerDawg
11-27-2013, 09:19 AM

Either I read your mind... or you read mine.. spot on my friend!

Churchill
11-27-2013, 11:11 AM
There are two other kinds of people in this world 61. 1. People who enjoy the sound of a really good female singer because she can sing. 2 People who enjoy Lady Gaga because of her showmanship even though she can`t sing worth a shit. Not to say either party is wrong but.......we`re looking more like Lady Gaga these days than we are Christina Aguilera.

Maroonthirteen
11-27-2013, 11:20 AM
I have a smart phone. I'm from the 80s.

I like us doing something special for the Egg Bowl. Like what we did last year and the year previous. Those subtle changes, as long as we win our fair share, no big deal. But the helmet is over the top. I hope like hell we win. just my .02.

HunterDawg
11-27-2013, 12:39 PM
I have a smart phone. I'm from the 80s.

I like us doing something special for the Egg Bowl. Like what we did last year and the year previous. Those subtle changes, as long as we win our fair share, no big deal. But the helmet is over the top. I hope like hell we win. just my .02.

We need to ask ourselves this question, How would we feel if they came out in gold helmets?

Covercorner2
11-27-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm 26 (own a smartphone) and I think the helmets look like shit. It's like we are trying too hard. Trying too hard to be like Oregon and Adidas is trying too hard to be like Nike. There's a reason Oregon is "cool:" They were the first to do it and their stuff is made by Nike. Adidas is, and will always be, playing second fiddle. The whole thing is very unoriginal at this point.

TheRef
11-27-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm 26 (own a smartphone) and I think the helmets look like shit. It's like we are trying too hard. Trying too hard to be like Oregon and Adidas is trying too hard to be like Nike. There's a reason Oregon is "cool:" They were the first to do it and their stuff is made by Nike. Adidas is, and will always be, playing second fiddle. The whole thing is very unoriginal at this point.

Yet Adidas was named this year the most innovative clothing company by a poll of experts. So right now Adidas is on top of the game.

Covercorner2
11-27-2013, 01:13 PM
I don't think the opinions of fashion "experts" matter as much as the opinions of HS football players, IMO.

Dawgface
11-27-2013, 01:27 PM
There are two other kinds of people in this world 61. 1. People who enjoy the sound of a really good female singer because she can sing. 2 People who enjoy Lady Gaga because of her showmanship even though she can`t sing worth a shit. Not to say either party is wrong but.......we`re looking more like Lady Gaga these days than we are Christina Aguilera.

Good analogy. But what ever they wear, so be it. Like everyone here, the uniforms won't affect my loyalty and support for the team. I didn't care for the white helmets, but once the ball was kicked off I didn't even think about what they were wearing. I would imagine most are that way.

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 01:44 PM

I'm not sure I agree with this analogy. I would say we are more like a bad singer in a plain outfit and no stage effects during the show right now. I would say that since we can't sing, we might as well look cool and have great stage effects to try and persuade people (recruits) to attend our shows...because our singing (record and on field play) isn't getting it done right now.

Ha

Fader21
11-27-2013, 05:06 PM
I wish people would shut up bout the interlocking msu. We are not getting those unis back in the near future so sit back watch the game ring your bell and yell for our dawgs. Quit bitching bout something you don't lose sleep over

RougeDawg
11-27-2013, 09:13 PM
I like the unis. The helmets look somewhat like Christmas ornaments, so will be a nice transition into the Christmas/Bowl Season.

Quaoarsking
11-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Agreed completely. I feel the same way about the "We Believe" thing from last year, which was one of the coolest things our mediocre fanbase has ever done. National writers were complimenting us on it. Everyone, both in the fanbase and outside it, knew we were very likely to lose the game, but at least the fans came together and did something unifying and unique.

Unfortunately, we have the worst fanbase in the SEC, one that has disjointed factions who just make fun of each other.

drunkernhelldawg
11-27-2013, 09:53 PM
I agree with the post that says we're trying too hard. I don't get people being so impressed by "new" ideas as represented by gold helmets, letters, etc. That kind of shit is not hard to come up with. Having a sharp enough eye to get it just right is what's rare, and it's something that I feel we're lacking in this case.
Great marketing to put HailState on the jersey, but who really thought it through? Are we going to be proud of putting a two or three year old marketing slogan where the team name should be? I don't think we will be, but I hope to be proven wrong. I also think it's ridiculous that people think this is so important to recruiting; what a ghastly thought that is. It's really an insult to the intelligence of our recruits. By that age, they've already seen their share of shiny objects.
Hail State!

HunterDawg
11-27-2013, 10:31 PM
I agree with the post that says we're trying too hard. I don't get people being so impressed by "new" ideas as represented by gold helmets, letters, etc. That kind of shit is not hard to come up with. Having a sharp enough eye to get it just right is what's rare, and it's something that I feel we're lacking in this case.
Great marketing to put HailState on the jersey, but who really thought it through? Are we going to be proud of putting a two or three year old marketing slogan where the team name should be? I don't think we will be, but I hope to be proven wrong. I also think it's ridiculous that people think this is so important to recruiting; what a ghastly thought that is. It's really an insult to the intelligence of our recruits. By that age, they've already seen their share of shiny objects.
Hail State!

But don't you just love it when Alabama wears their shiny gold helmets?

CadaverDawg
11-27-2013, 10:47 PM
But don't you just love it when Alabama wears their shiny gold helmets?

Are you comparing us to Bama? If so, that is more laughable than any uniform combo could ever be.

NCDawg
11-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Count me as one who likes traditional uniforms, such as Alabama and Auburn wear. It's a shame we don't have any tradition and have to resort to gimmickry by wearing weird ugly uniforms, hoping recruits might think they're "cool". It ain't working in my opinion.