View Full Version : Interesting look at SEC offenses

Coach34
11-02-2022, 07:53 PM
From The world of Elon Musk: SEC offenses by # of big plays (10+ rushing yds, 20+ passing yds):

1. Ole Miss - 118
2. Arkansas - 90
3. Bama - 88
4. UGA - 86
5. Tennessee - 82
6. Auburn - 78
7. Florida - 74
8. LSU - 70
9. Mizzou - 64
10t. A&M - 62
10t. SC - 62
12. UK - 56
13. Miss St. - 50
14. Vandy - 48

#Airbone

MaroonFlounder
11-02-2022, 07:57 PM
We will feel that OM offense in a few weeks.

DownwardDawg
11-02-2022, 08:14 PM
Sigh
I didn't need this. Thanks a lot.

Goldendawg
11-02-2022, 08:17 PM
From The world of Elon Musk: SEC offenses by # of big plays (10+ rushing yds, 20+ passing yds):

1. Ole Miss - 118
2. Arkansas - 90
3. Bama - 88
4. UGA - 86
5. Tennessee - 82
6. Auburn - 78
7. Florida - 74
8. LSU - 70
9. Mizzou - 64
10t. A&M - 62
10t. SC - 62
12. UK - 56
13. Miss St. - 50
14. Vandy - 48

#Airbone

I didn't keep up with Coach Leach or his "Air Raid" until he came to State. I had no idea it was a ball control offense based on short to intermediate passes with very few running plays. When it's clinking, it is fun to watch, when it's not, it reminds me of Croom's West Coach Offense depending on a catch in the flats by a back depending on YAC. That list & our place on it in year 3 is very disappointing, and somewhat surprising. "Short Arms", WR's that disappear against physical SEC DB's concerns me greatly, but that may still be a talent issue, I still hope it works, at least 3 of the next 4 games beginning this Saturday. Beat AU! Hail State!

WhiskeyPirate
11-02-2022, 09:52 PM
Now do it in ppg, total yards, yards passing and top

parabrave
11-02-2022, 10:22 PM
Now do it in ppg, total yards, yards passing and top

Oh how about games against SEC opponents, LSU 289 yds 213P 74R , TAM 473 144R 329P, ARKY 568 162R 406P, KY 225 22R 203 P, Bama 293 62 rush 231 pass.

When teams stop the run and put pressure on will basically we average 230.

WhiskeyPirate
11-03-2022, 08:54 AM
Or you could just confine it to on the road at LSU, Alabama and Georgia at home. If we played Vandy and hadn’t played Alabama it would differ.

When you compare our offense to the rest of the sec, we are right in the middle or slightly above average. PPG 31.8. We are really a ball control, top offense. Long plays are misleading as a statistic.

Coach34
11-03-2022, 09:29 AM
When you compare our offense to the rest of the sec, we are right in the middle or slightly above average. PPG 31.8. We are really a ball control, top offense. Long plays are misleading as a statistic.

Chunk plays are necessary because it is so damn hard to have double digit play drives for points.

We are 7th in the SEC in 10+ yard plays
We are 10th in the SEC in 20+ yard plays
We are 13th in the SEC in 30+ yard plays.

It's not a coincidence that your top scoring SEC offenses also lead the conference in chunk plays.

In conference games only we are scoring 24 PPG- 8th in the SEC. Average.

Gutter Cobreh
11-03-2022, 09:51 AM
Or you could just confine it to on the road at LSU, Alabama and Georgia at home. If we played Vandy and hadn?t played Alabama it would differ.

Come on Whiskey! You know that doesn't fit the narrative. First it was we don't run enough, yet when we incorporate more running plays - the narrative shift to we don't have enough big plays!

Looking at the stats posted in this thread, you'd think Arkansas would be at the top of the rankings right? Factor in their next to last in defense and you see a team that we beat 40-17.

coachnorm
11-03-2022, 10:11 AM
Chunk plays are necessary because it is so damn hard to have double digit play drives for points.

We are 7th in the SEC in 10+ yard plays
We are 10th in the SEC in 20+ yard plays
We are 13th in the SEC in 30+ yard plays.

It's not a coincidence that your top scoring SEC offenses also lead the conference in chunk plays.

In conference games only we are scoring 24 PPG- 8th in the SEC. Average.

Another problematic problem with CML offense is every high school, college, and pro coach has access to the Air Raid manual which CML is devoted too? Remember anyone who can Google can get a hard copy of it. Many coaches provide digital exposure thru YouTube also. The days of Air Raid mystique are over. When an offense demands scheme compliance to something everyone has there is going to be problems for the offense? Offenses are successful with match-ups, something CML shows little knowledge of. Also remember Air Raid crossing patterns, screens, check downs, and swing passes generate no pass interference or holding penalties generating additional offensive production.

WhiskeyPirate
11-03-2022, 10:14 AM
Its cherry picking from a guy who knows next to nothing about offense.

Schedule differences also skews the statistics, The only statistic that matters is wins and losses.

CarolinaDawgs
11-03-2022, 10:27 AM

1. Ole Miss - 118
2. Arkansas - 90
3. Bama - 88
4. UGA - 86
5. Tennessee - 82
6. Auburn - 78
7. Florida - 74
8. LSU - 70
9. Mizzou - 64
10t. A&M - 62
10t. SC - 62
12. UK - 56
13. Miss St. - 50
14. Vandy - 48

#Airbone

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.

Coach34
11-03-2022, 10:31 AM
Looking at the stats posted in this thread, you'd think Arkansas would be at the top of the rankings right? Factor in their next to last in defense and you see a team that we beat 40-17.

Sure was nice to play them without their starting QB wasnt it?

WPS
11-03-2022, 10:55 AM
Come on Whiskey! You know that doesn't fit the narrative. First it was we don't run enough, yet when we incorporate more running plays - the narrative shift to we don't have enough big plays!

Mostly under Briles Arkansas has been outstanding on offense in between the 20's, but has really struggled in the red zone. This year in particular it seems like turnovers inside the 10 or having to settle for field goals have stalled out drives. Doing just that is what is keeping Arkansas from being 6-2 right now when they just shot themselves in the foot against A&M with KJ's dumb superman turnover.

Turfdawg67
11-03-2022, 11:04 AM
Sure was nice to play them without their starting QB wasnt it?

What's he got to do with us scoring 40 pts on them? Oh never mind, this is just another idiotic thread to bash Leach. Carry on...

#msufansaretheworst

Coach34
11-03-2022, 11:15 AM
What's he got to do with us scoring 40 pts on them?

#msufansaretheworst

Not having their starter caused them to have to score less, punt more often, turn the ball over more, etc....which gave us the chance to score more points on them. Glad I could help

R2Dawg
11-03-2022, 11:30 AM

Ain't a narrative, it is fact. You can turn out any stat that puts you at top but all stats are not the same. We could be first in TO management but so what.

No big plays means a D isn't threatened. It don't bother you that the only program worse is Vandy?

No one complained about run game when we did - TAMU and Ark but guess what we didn't at UK and Bama and LSU. We abandoned the run and see what it got us. We gashed Bama in 1st quarter and then quit.

Agree OM stats are inflated due to schedule but they are better than some want to give credit. They scored more on LSU and UK than we did.

No narrative just facts.

Santiago
11-03-2022, 11:53 AM
Some more stats, that actually might matter in a game....Scoring, and total offense. We are not at the top but we are also not #13 in Coach's first post either.

imagine if we hit field goals and extra points in games:
Points per game, ranked 7th. And not just a big gap in us at 7 and Ole Miss at 4, considering their schedule so far.
https://www.secsports.com/statistics/football/team/total/totalPointsPerGame

Total Offense: ranked 8th
https://www.secsports.com/statistics/football/team/total

msstate7
11-03-2022, 11:59 AM
Some more stats, that actually might matter in a game....Scoring, and total offense. We are not at the top but we are also not #13 in Coach's first post either.

imagine if we hit field goals and extra points in games:
Points per game, ranked 7th. And not just a big gap in us at 7 and Ole Miss at 4, considering their schedule so far.
https://www.secsports.com/statistics/football/team/total/totalPointsPerGame

Total Offense: ranked 8th
https://www.secsports.com/statistics/football/team/total

If you're counting missed extra points and fgs, probably should exclude defensive/ST TDs. I think it's been 3 TDs

DownwardDawg
11-03-2022, 12:00 PM
Not having their starter caused them to have to score less, punt more often, turn the ball over more, etc....which gave us the chance to score more points on them. Glad I could help

Their starter sucks. Nobody was ever concerned about him.

Pancho
11-03-2022, 12:00 PM

Arkansas would have beaten MSU if KJ had been healthy and played in the game.

msstate7
11-03-2022, 12:09 PM
Their starter sucks. Nobody was ever concerned about him.

What?

KJ...
7th nationally in passer rating
12th nationally in QBR
389 yds rushing, 6 td

Santiago
11-03-2022, 12:21 PM
If you're counting missed extra points and fgs, probably should exclude defensive/ST TDs. I think it's been 3 TDs

True, but you have to account for those TDs being because our offense was putting up points, and putting pressure on the other team to operate their offense in a way they are not designed.
Except for the Kentucky Pic 6.
Either way, our scoring and total offense, is not far off and definitely not 13th as the one specific stat on the original post.

Also, What will our scoring per game and total offense look like after these next 4 games. Especially Auburn and the non-conference game, games Ole Miss has already played. Give us Vandy instead of upcoming Georgia also.

Santiago
11-03-2022, 12:23 PM
deleted

Coach34
11-03-2022, 12:57 PM
What?

KJ...
7th nationally in passer rating
12th nationally in QBR
389 yds rushing, 6 td

Yeah he has 15 passing TD's to only 1 pick...completing almost 68% of his passes. He is anything but suck

dawgday166
11-03-2022, 01:07 PM
Aw hell ... I'm just ready to move on from Leach. That way everyone will get what they want and we can be bitching about the same EXACT things 3 years from now with the next "can't miss" coach.

Until we get highly accurate and mobile QB to go along with explosive WRs (which we can never seem to get and keep), ain't nothing gonna change much ... except of course the coach.

Mr. Offensive guru and our standard bearer Mullen, if you take out 2014 ... I would bet if a similar analysis was done you'd get the same results.

Ms7 ... get on that analysis will ya? **

Commercecomet24
11-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Arkansas would have beaten MSU if KJ had been healthy and played in the game.

So can we use the same logic to say we would've beat uk and bama if sharp and johnson had been healthy?

dawgday166
11-03-2022, 01:15 PM
So can we use the same logic to say we would've beat uk and bama if sharp and johnson had been healthy?

I like how everyone forgets that after OM jumped out on LSU, LSU then went on I believe a 45-3 run against them after that.

ETA: And LSU sucks ****

WhiskeyPirate
11-03-2022, 01:18 PM
Aw hell ... I'm just ready to move on from Leach. That way everyone will get what they want and we can be bitching about the same EXACT things 3 years from now with the next "can't miss" coach.

Until we get highly accurate and mobile QB to go along with explosive WRs (which we can never seem to get and keep), ain't nothing gonna change much ... except of course the coach.

Mr. Offensive guru and our standard bearer Mullen, if you take out 2014 ... I would bet if a similar analysis was done you'd get the same results.

Take away Dak and Dan is less than mediocre, much like Jimbo making a living off of Winston, according to these high standards we are demanding.

Pretty tiresome. Statistics can be twisted any way you want especially when you?re played five sec games and two of them are on the road at Alabama and LSU. The third one is without your starting center and running back on the road at a ranked opponent and you already have a makeshift offensive line.

Let?s get back to jet sweeps, those are really exciting , that must explain the attendance numbers.

msstate7
11-03-2022, 01:34 PM

Leach hasn't done anything to be fired. I just hate watching us play... it's so boring to me. If we are gonna be 6-6/7-5 regardless, it prefer us to be a physical team on offense (mullen like) or explosive on offense (kiffin like). Just a personal preference

msu15
11-03-2022, 01:36 PM
What's he got to do with us scoring 40 pts on them? Oh never mind, this is just another idiotic thread to bash Leach. Carry on...

#msufansaretheworst

You've been real quiet over the last few weeks after our two ass beatings. Not surprised.

dawgday166
11-03-2022, 01:38 PM
Leach hasn't done anything to be fired. I just hate watching us play... it's so boring to me. If we are gonna be 6-6/7-5 regardless, it prefer us to be a physical team on offense (mullen like) or explosive on offense (kiffin like). Just a personal preference

Where's my analysis? Dammit mane! ****

I will admit Holloway up the middle was pretty physical to watch.

msstate7
11-03-2022, 01:49 PM

The year you're speaking of, we avg 50 more yds/game of total offense than this season

ETA... the last time Mullen avg less than 410 yds/game (this season's avg) in 2012.

dawgday166
11-03-2022, 01:51 PM
The year you're speaking of, we avg 50 more yds/game of total offense than this season

That was with "Checkdown Charlie" Dak.

msstate7
11-03-2022, 01:53 PM
That was with "Checkdown Charlie" Dak.

Perhaps the universe thought it prudent to teach C34 what a real "Checkdown Charlie" looks like

Commercecomet24
11-03-2022, 01:55 PM
Perhaps the universe thought it prudent to teach C34 what a real "Checkdown Charlie" looks like

Now that's funny!

msstate7
11-03-2022, 01:57 PM
I don't think leach will change the offense, so I just wish he would attempt to run it at lightning speed.

dawgday166
11-03-2022, 02:03 PM

ETA... the last time Mullen avg less than 410 yds/game (this season's avg) in 2012.

4 years into his tenure. WTF was up with that?? We should've fired him then ****

Coach34
11-03-2022, 02:06 PM

haha- damn sure did.

parabrave
11-03-2022, 02:06 PM

Trying to give you rep.

TrapGame
11-03-2022, 02:08 PM
I don't think leach will change the offense, so I just wish he would attempt to run it at lightning speed.

This.

Up tempo air raid. Catch the defense out of position and guessing. Now throw in a mobile QB that can run ten yards before a linebacker can five and we've got a spitfire offense that will be tough to stop.

parabrave
11-03-2022, 02:13 PM
This.

Up tempo air raid. Catch the defense out of position and guessing. Now throw in a mobile QB that can run ten yards before a linebacker can five and we've got a spitfire offense that will be tough to stop.

Like Kuffen would run.

Coach34
11-03-2022, 02:14 PM
Point being...

We spent 2016 and beyond talking about how Fitz was too 1 dimensional and couldnt throw. That even came up last season and we were told we need Leach's offense to beat good teams and be explosive. Well, we arent explosive and we aren't any better offensively than we were with Fitz at QB.

2016- 30.4 PPG 440.2 YPG
2017- 32.0 PPG 418.6 YPG

Leach and Rogers get a Chinese 19 pass for 2020

2021- 29.1 PPG 441.6
2022- 31.8 PPG 410.8

vindastra
11-03-2022, 02:16 PM

With Aeris Williams watching from the sidelines.

TrapGame
11-03-2022, 02:18 PM
Like Kuffen would run.

Kiffin runs the ball more. Way more.

Santiago
11-03-2022, 02:19 PM
Point being...

We spent 2016 and beyond talking about how Fitz was too 1 dimensional and couldnt throw. That even came up last season and we were told we need Leach's offense to beat good teams and be explosive. Well, we arent explosive and we aren't any better offensively than we were with Fitz at QB.

2016- 30.4 PPG 440.2 YPG
2017- 32.0 PPG 418.6 YPG

2021- 29.1 PPG 441.6
2022- 31.8 PPG 410.8

Wondering though what affect playing Auburn, Non-conference, and even Ole Miss will do to our final stats. Would assume it moves the needle some. Maybe not a ton, Auburn and the non-conference should be big.

parabrave
11-03-2022, 02:20 PM
Kiffin runs the ball more. Way more.

Talking about Tempo.

TrapGame
11-03-2022, 02:21 PM
Talking about Tempo.

Huepel runs tempo too.

Goldendawg

I feel the same way. I want Leach to succeed, but it seems like the O disappears against teams with a good rush end and especially physical DB's. Maybe our fault for signing WR's with TRex short arms.** Light me up, but when our O is struggling, it reminds me of Croom's O or even JoMo's when he finally got a play in. Maybe better recruiting can make a difference or young players can develop.

dawgday166
Point being...

2016- 30.4 PPG 440.2 YPG
2017- 32.0 PPG 418.6 YPG

2021- 29.1 PPG 441.6
2022- 31.8 PPG 410.8

My point being:

Napier inherited FL talent (and while Mullen ain't great recruiter he recruited better there than here) with personnel recruited and made for his type of offense.

They're currently 12 yds ahead of us in Total O and are 1-4 in SEC play with home losses to KY & LSU.

ETA: I know this is his 1st year but he didn't have a Covid year either, nor does he have to revamp his personnel and he didn't inherit a dumpster fire.

Goldendawg
11-03-2022, 02:24 PM
My point being:

Napier inherited FL talent (and while Mullen ain't great recruiter he recruited better there than here) with personnel recruited and made for his type of offense.

They're currently 12 yds ahead of us in Total O and are 1-4 in SEC play with home losses to KY & LSU.

ETA: I know this is his 1st year but he didn't have a Covid year either, nor does he have to revamp his personnel and he didn't inherit a dumpster fire.

And to add insult to injury, Billy and his 4 and 5 stars play in the SEC East!

Coach34
11-03-2022, 02:26 PM
Wondering though what affect playing Auburn, Non-conference, and even Ole Miss will do to our final stats. Would assume it moves the needle some. Maybe not a ton, Auburn and the non-conference should be big.

Auburn is 4th in the SEC in Pass D- so if they come to play it could hurt some stats

dawgday166
11-03-2022, 02:26 PM
And to add insult to injury, Billy and his 4 and 5 stars play in the SEC East!

In his defense, 2 of the 4 losses are to TN & GA. Really only KY at home is a bad loss IMO.

dawgday166
11-03-2022, 02:30 PM
With Aeris Williams watching from the sidelines.

Yep. At least Mullen had excuse that Aeris was still missing blocking assignments while Holloway didn't. But it didn't matter since LBs would just swat Holloway out of the way with no problem.

JoMo now ... he was a total dumbass about sitting Aeris.

Goldendawg
11-03-2022, 02:48 PM
In his defense, 2 of the 4 losses are to TN & GA. Really only KY at home is a bad loss IMO.

Yeah, you're right. With TN's power run, there are now at least two tough East teams for FL to play. I would however, swap any of our West opponents to play SC, vandy, and MO every year. Maybe OK and TX joining will help our schedule some. Tired of playing bama 117 years and counting. Hail State!

Santiago
11-03-2022, 02:51 PM
Auburn is 4th in the SEC in Pass D- so if they come to play it could hurt some stats

That will be a fun matchup.
Auburn is one of the worst run defenses in the country also, and this year seemed to be more content giving up big run plays at the expense of any big hitter pass plays.
Not many teams have even had to pass on them, when running for 6 yards per rush