PDA

View Full Version : Does a 6-6 MSU, finishing ahead of OM in the West get a better bowl?

blacklistedbully
11-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Just wondering, since a win by us would leave us 1 game behind overall, but higher in the SEC standings. Might we get picked over them for a better bowl?

I believe the Bowls have the option of picking one over another if there is only a game separation. Given a win by us would place us higher in the SEC standings, would we not be going a slot earlier unless they jumped us with the Bowl committee?

C222
11-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Just wondering, since a win by us would leave us 1 game behind overall, but higher in the SEC standings. Might we get picked over them for a better bowl?

I believe the Bowls have the option of picking one over another if there is only a game separation. Given a win by us would place us higher in the SEC standings, would we not be going a slot earlier unless they jumped us with the Bowl committee?

No

preachermatt83
11-26-2013, 05:38 PM
I wondered the same thing but the media publicity will draw the music city bowl to om over us. The media is still in love with freeze and kimdeetchee. At this point as long as we bowl I'm satisfied.

blacklistedbully
11-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Aren't the bowls set up in advance via SEC standings, but with a choice that allows a Bowl to skip one in favor of a lower, so long as there is not more than a 1-game difference overall? I fwe win, we are the SEC #9 due to tie-breaker over OM, right? That would put OM at #10.

blacklistedbully
11-26-2013, 05:48 PM
What if it's a blowout win by us? Would 2 straight ass-beatings of OM drop them in the eyes of Bowl committees?

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2013, 05:54 PM

We covered this the other day, and the problem is that our record likely won't be compared to OM's; it will be compared to Vandy's. This so because, if we win and Vandy beats Wake Forest, OM will have 7 wins and Vandy will have 8. Therefore, the Music City Bowl will likely choose OM over Vandy, and then it will be between Vandy and us for the Liberty Bowl. With Vandy having 8 wins and us only 6, I think the Liberty Bowl would be forced to take Vandy over us.

If we win, I THINK the only way we don't end up in Birmingham are these two scenarios:

1. Vandy loses to Wake Forest, and thus only has 7 wins.

2. The Music City Bowl, for some reason, chooses Vandy, and thus makes the Liberty compare us to OM. In which case, I would still expect the Liberty to take OM, since there is no logistical or fanbase difference between us and OM.

look completely like Birmingham to me.

blacklistedbully
11-26-2013, 05:57 PM
This is a quote from an interview with Steve Erhart, head of the Liberty Bowl committee. It came before the VAndy win over UT and the OM loss to Mizzou:

"If you were here two years ago, you saw how great the Vandy crowd was (attendance was 57,103). But don't go to sleep on Mississippi State. What if Ole Miss comes out differently in the last two games? They'll be some surprises."

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2013, 06:00 PM
This is a quote from an interview with Steve Erhart, head of the Liberty Bowl committee. It came before the VAndy win over UT and the OM loss to Mizzou:

"If you were here two years ago, you saw how great the Vandy crowd was (attendance was 57,103). But don't go to sleep on Mississippi State. What if Ole Miss comes out differently in the last two games? They'll be some surprises."

Interesting, but for this to be an option for the Liberty Bowl, the Music City Bowl will have to choose Vandy over OM.

Vandy will sell tickets to the Music Bowl, but, since their fanbase already lives there, there is minimal economic impact.

Todd4State
11-26-2013, 06:04 PM
I may be totally mistaken, but I believe there are several bottom tier bowls- the Liberty, Music City, BBVA, etc. that essentially have almost the same pick in the pecking order. To skirt the two win rule- you could see the Liberty have the "last pick".

blacklistedbully
11-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Does the Music City still take OM if they get curb-stomped the final 2 games to finish 7-5? Not trying to jinx us, and am not saying it's going to happen, just wondering if everything fell into place, what might happen.

Best case sceanrio for us is Vandy to lose to WF, finishing 7-5 (4-4), OM getting whooped by us, finishing 7-5 (3-5), and us finishing 6-6 (3-5) owning tie-breaker over OM to go along with an ass-whipping we give them Thursday in the final regular season game.

Todd4State
11-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Interesting, but for this to be an option for the Liberty Bowl, the Music City Bowl will have to choose Vandy over OM.

Vandy will sell tickets to the Music Bowl, but, since their fanbase already lives there, there is minimal economic impact.

They have picked Vandy before- and while Vandy is in Nashville, a lot of their fans live elsewhere. Their alumni are further away than any other SEC schools by far. You'll have people flying in from New York and Chicago to go to that game.

blacklistedbully
11-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Wouldn't it look pretty bad for Music City to take an OM team that finished below us in the standings, just one game better overall, and having lost big to us in their last game?

Todd4State
11-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Does the Music City still take OM if they get curb-stomped the final 2 games to finish 7-5? Not trying to jinx us, and am not saying it's going to happen, just wondering if everything fell into place, what might happen.

Best case sceanrio for us is Vandy to lose to WF, finishing 7-5 (4-4), OM getting whooped by us, finishing 7-5 (3-5), and us finishing 6-6 (3-5) owning tie-breaker over OM to go along with an ass-whipping we give them Thursday in the final regular season game.

They might take Ole Miss.

Todd4State
11-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Wouldn't it look pretty bad for Music City to take an OM team that finished below us in the standings, just one game better overall, and having lost big to us in their last game?

Not much worse than the Gator taking us last year. Aside from the standings issue. Remember rumors from McCready (I think) last year about Ole Miss going to the Gator for the very things you said. It didn't happen.

blacklistedbully
11-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Damn, those stumbles versus Auburn and SCar are looking so critical right now. Oh what could have, and should have been!

blacklistedbully
11-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Not much worse than the Gator taking us last year. Aside from the standings issue. Remember rumors from McCready (I think) last year about Ole Miss going to the Gator for the very things you said. It didn't happen.

Last year, OM finished 2 games behind us overall and a full game behind in the SEC standings. If we beat them Thursday, we'll be just one game behind overall and own a tie-breaker in SEC standings.

That's a pretty significant difference, and may have made the difference last year.

Goat Holder
11-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Considering that the difference in the records would the Oklahoma State/Texas games, and Oklahoma State blew out Texas in Austin.....we may actually have a better resume than them.