PDA

View Full Version : Cohen leaving is a plus plus for State

cheewgumm
11-01-2022, 07:25 AM
1) He?s gone from here - plus
2) He?s at a division opponent - plus

Cohen is good at one thing - baseball. Auburn does not care about baseball like we do so we value this more.

He has 0 foresight in any other sport. Leach was a no brainer as he?s proven.

The other hires were disasters.

This is gonna be a disaster at Auburn, imo.

NCMSTFAN
11-01-2022, 08:27 AM
1) He?s gone from here - plus
2) He?s at a division opponent - plus

Cohen is good at one thing - baseball. Auburn does not care about baseball like we do so we value this more.

He has 0 foresight in any other sport. Leach was a no brainer as he?s proven.

The other hires were disasters.

This is gonna be a disaster at Auburn, imo.

It's a little too early to call the Jans and Purcell hires a disaster.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-01-2022, 08:43 AM
It's a little too early to call the Jans and Purcell hires a disaster.

I think the Purcell hire will end up being pretty good. We need to start buying players for MBK to be good. I think Jans can coach but we need to buy some talent.

PGHBulldogBG
11-01-2022, 09:18 AM
It depends on who we hire in place of Cohen. If we can get a proven AD like Currie to come here, then it will be a win. If we promote so no name from within who does not have the experience, this could be problematic. Cohen certainly improved on the job over the years. His hires seemed to get much better going from Moorhead to Leach. Jans and Purcell seem like great hires, but we won’t know for 2 or 3 years for sure how those hires will play out. Personally, I think Jans is a homerun and Purcell seems to check all the boxes. I’m more shocked that Auburn hired him given the fact he has not made any splash proven hires outside of maybe Lemonis, but Cohens knowledge of baseball is much higher than football or basketball and Auburn fanbase is not really focused on baseball the way ours does. It is certainly a strange hire in my opinion

TrapGame
11-01-2022, 09:51 AM
It depends on who we hire in place of Cohen. If we can get a proven AD like Currie to come here, then it will be a win. If we promote so no name from within who does not have the experience, this could be problematic. Cohen certainly improved on the job over the years. His hires seemed to get much better going from Moorhead to Leach. Jans and Purcell seem like great hires, but we won’t know for 2 or 3 years for sure how those hires will play out. Personally, I think Jans is a homerun and Purcell seems to check all the boxes. I’m more shocked that Auburn hired him given the fact he has not made any splash proven hires outside of maybe Lemonis, but Cohens knowledge of baseball is much higher than football or basketball and Auburn fanbase is not really focused on baseball the way ours does. It is certainly a strange hire in my opinion

If we hire from within at this critical juncture we are accepting failure. There should be a fan/booster/alumni meltdown over it.

I was told by a couple of people that Cohen had little to do with the Leach hire. Other people were involved and told Cohen that Leach was going to be hired. FWIW.

I really believe Cohen is their fall back hire. Or they're going the intense bastard route to get the boosters in line. Which could prove a total disaster.

cheewgumm
11-01-2022, 09:56 AM
I thought it would be obvious? but I am not talking about the basketball coaches as they have not coached 1 game yet.

NCMSTFAN
11-01-2022, 11:29 PM
I thought it would be obvious? but I am not talking about the basketball coaches as they have not coached 1 game yet.

Well you said Leach was a no Brainer because he's proven.. if your not talking about Purcell Jans or Leach who is left? I'm pretty sure your not talking about Lemonis either.. Nikki Mcray Penson stepped down after 1 year, I guess you can consider that the bad hire

msu15
11-02-2022, 12:04 AM

Na it was poorly wooded.

PikeDawg15
11-02-2022, 06:45 AM

Spot on

I think Jans is going to be a good hire but basketball is the most important sport to have talent in.

If you have 1 player like a Zion Williamson , that instantly makes your team a contender with one move.

NIL will be important for our basketball program

NCMSTFAN
11-02-2022, 06:54 AM
I think the Purcell hire will end up being pretty good. We need to start buying players for MBK to be good. I think Jans can coach but we need to buy some talent.

Agreed, I actually think Purcell's team will make some noise right away. We had talent before he arrived and he added more quality size, scoring and depth to go along with it. I'm hoping his coaching can match his recruiting.

NCMSTFAN
11-02-2022, 07:08 AM
Spot on

I think Jans is going to be a good hire but basketball is the most important sport to have talent in.

If you have 1 player like a Zion Williamson , that instantly makes your team a contender with one move.

NIL will be important for our basketball program

True, 1 or 2 good players can change a basketball program but you also want some quality depth. Jans inherited a team with Tolu, Matthews, Shak and DJ so he has some SEC talent to work with this year. But once those guys leave I worry about what he can bring in. Our 2022 and 2023 classes are full of former JUCO and mid major guys all 3 star and below. That worked at New Mexico State but you have to have talent to consistently compete in the SEC.