PDA

View Full Version : AD Big Board

LibraryDawg
10-31-2022, 11:08 AM
So, now that it's official what does our big board look like for a replacement?

Quaoarsking
10-31-2022, 11:13 AM
Hoping for Currie because he's a Leach fan who will support our coach

TrapGame
10-31-2022, 11:26 AM

This.

Currie would be a home run hire.

Catfish
10-31-2022, 11:29 AM

Agree

StarkVegasSteve
10-31-2022, 11:39 AM
John Currie
Mike Alford
Kirby Hocutt
John David Wickers
Jared Benko
Scott Weatherbee

I will add that I will be blown away beyond belief if it is an in house candidate. I fully expect we go outside the MSU footprint for this hire. Will be one of the most important decisions of the Keenum presidency.

Also, do not be surprised if it starts to leak that Rhett Hobart will have some sort of input on this hire. He is highly thought of from Keenum down and they know they have a future top tier AD in the department. He is a bit too green now, but within 3-5 years he will be ready to lead a program.

TheLostDawg
10-31-2022, 11:42 AM
https://utahstateaggies.com/staff-directory/john-hartwell/167

In his time at Utah State, Hartwell has rebranded the fundraising arm of the athletics department with the creation of Aggies Unlimited, which puts all giving under one umbrella.

Utah State also entered into a partnership with the Larry H. Miller Sports & Entertainment Group to be its flagship radio station for Aggie Athletics, which gives USU additional advertising opportunities throughout Cache Valley and the Wasatch Front, in addition to more control over each broadcast.

Hartwell’s strong business background has also proved to be valuable at Utah State as he negotiated a new footwear and apparel deal with Nike in 2020. And most recently, Utah State partnered with Opendorse to help enhance name, image and likeness (NIL) opportunities for its student-athletes.

During his Utah State tenure, Hartwell has overseen the completion of the $36 million, 85,000-square foot West Stadium Center on the west side of Maverik Stadium, which includes 24 luxury suites, 20 loge boxes, over 700 covered club seats and a premium club area that is also used to host a student-athlete training table. Renovations also included new video boards on both the north and south ends of the stadium, along with a new public address system, while major concourse work significantly increased restrooms and upgraded concessions.

Utah State is also securing funding for a new 110,000-square-foot, $30 million indoor practice facility, which will also house USU’s new golf training facility, along with locker rooms and office space for its soccer program.

Saltydog
10-31-2022, 12:12 PM
John Currie
Mike Alford
Kirby Hocutt
John David Wickers
Jared Benko
Scott Weatherbee

I will add that I will be blown away beyond belief if it is an in house candidate. I fully expect we go outside the MSU footprint for this hire. Will be one of the most important decisions of the Keenum presidency.

Also, do not be surprised if it starts to leak that Rhett Hobart will have some sort of input on this hire. He is highly thought of from Keenum down and they know they have a future top tier AD in the department. He is a bit too green now, but within 3-5 years he will be ready to lead a program.

Currie may be on the wish list and not sure how much he's currently making but I'm highly skeptical he'd leave Wake.......

TheLostDawg
10-31-2022, 12:29 PM
The last guy was making 1.1 mil so I imagine at least that much. However he is a wake grad and if they are anything like our grads, he'll be looking to jump**

StarkVegasSteve
10-31-2022, 12:31 PM
The last guy was making 1.1 mil so I imagine at least that much. However he is a wake grad and if they are anything like our grads, he'll be looking to jump**

The other thing working in our favor with Currie is Rhett and the working relationship they already have.

Santiago
10-31-2022, 12:44 PM
The other thing working in our favor with Currie is Rhett and the working relationship they already have.

Fill me in on that. I am not up to speed on where Rhett worked previously.
Currie is my hope as well though. Not opposed to Benko also.

Hambone
10-31-2022, 12:47 PM
Rhett went and worked at Wake Forest with Currie.

Goldendawg
10-31-2022, 12:48 PM
Fill me in on that. I am not up to speed on where Rhett worked previously.
Currie is my hope as well though. Not opposed to Benko also.

You can check out his bio on Hail State - staffing.

Quaoarsking
10-31-2022, 12:53 PM
Another plus for Currie: after Leach retires as our all time winningest coach, he has the connection to Clawson if that's the direction we want to go

Chuck3124
10-31-2022, 12:56 PM
I wouldn?t mind seeing us go after Mack Rhoades from Baylor either if we?re being honest

TheLostDawg
10-31-2022, 01:01 PM
I like Hartwell as he has gotten after it at Utah State raising money and making upgrades. What have the others done/ why do yall like them? -

Leeshouldveflanked
10-31-2022, 01:19 PM
Another plus for Currie: after Leach retires as our all time winningest coach, he has the connection to Clawson if that's the direction we want to go
Clawsons team just had 8 turnovers and gave up 35 second half points to a 4-3 Louisville team.

msu15
10-31-2022, 01:34 PM
Leach will head off to Key West long before he becomes our all time winningest coach.

msu15
10-31-2022, 01:35 PM

Yep. Could be a seamless transition. Rhett was our SA president his senior year when I was I undergrad. His one mistake.....tents for tickets. :Shutters:

was21
10-31-2022, 01:42 PM
And if Leach leaves for whatever reason, Hartwell will have had experience with Blake Anderson, whom I hop will be a candidate for the State job.

PikeDawg15
10-31-2022, 01:45 PM
Currie may be on the wish list and not sure how much he's currently making but I'm highly skeptical he'd leave Wake.......

Cohen and Striklin left.

I would say that Wake to the SEC is a much bigger jump than State to a bigger sec school. Just saying.

Leroy Jenkins
10-31-2022, 02:17 PM
Why was Currie suspended at UT? Was it the disaster coaching search they had after Pruitt? or was it Phat Phil?

Santiago
10-31-2022, 02:32 PM
Assuming we have already backchanneled some of these candidates to know who is interested. Hoping as you guys say that Rhett gave a call to Currie.

PikeDawg15
10-31-2022, 02:44 PM
Why was Currie suspended at UT? Was it the disaster coaching search they had after Pruitt? or was it Phat Phil?

Hoping John Currie is the New AD and then Rhett is re aligned with Currie and will take over once currie leaves in 5 years.

UT was a disaster 5 years ago during 2017 and none of that was Currie.

Those Big Orange boosters and Phil Fulmer made him hire Jeremy Pruitt instead of The ohio state OC that he had originally hired at that time.

PikeDawg15
10-31-2022, 02:45 PM
Assuming we have already backchanneled some of these candidates to know who is interested. Hoping as you guys say that Rhett gave a call to Currie.

I would think that would be another motivating factor and Rhett becomes the AD in Training for the next 5 years

Really Clark?
10-31-2022, 02:46 PM

Mostly is was Phil undermining him because he wanted to be the AD. The hire and subsequent back track from the hire of Greg Schaino from all of the backlash was a part but it's widely known that Phil instigated and flamed that backlash that turned the coaching search into a cluster. Currie though made missteps during that search too that help Phil gain the power. But that was after the Butch Jones firing not Pruitt

Johnson85
10-31-2022, 03:08 PM
Cohen and Striklin left.

I would say that Wake to the SEC is a much bigger jump than State to a bigger sec school. Just saying.

It's a bigger jump as far as athletic stages. But if Wake is paying him well, he may not want the additional stress.

R2Dawg
10-31-2022, 03:13 PM
I don't know enough to comment on the next AD as far as candidates go but wanting a guy because he likes a current HC is stupid. Some of yall are letting your Leach obsession over ride MSU AD search. I hope the decision makers are doing better. I want a good AD that will do his job and hold any HC accountable. I don't want any good buddy systems. We've had that before.

Some of yall fuss about the good ole boy network then want a guy right in the middle of it.

KOdawg1
10-31-2022, 03:20 PM
Mack Rhoades at Baylor is someone I'd give a call

Santiago
10-31-2022, 03:28 PM
I don't know enough to comment on the next AD as far as candidates go but wanting a guy because he likes a current HC is stupid. Some of yall are letting your Leach obsession over ride MSU AD search. I hope the decision makers are doing better. I want a good AD that will do his job and hold any HC accountable. I don't want any good buddy systems. We've had that before.

Some of yall fuss about the good ole boy network then want a guy right in the middle of it.

He first tried to hire Mullen to TN.
The guy has 25 year track record as an AD, and twice was national AD of the year in different selections.

KentuckyDawg13
10-31-2022, 03:49 PM
Leaving Wake for State is a dream. I lived in Winston-Salem, NC for 5 years, ACC basketball is another level.
Also, Wake Forest has won a total of nine national championships in five different sports; five of these championships have come since 2002.

Cooterpoot
10-31-2022, 04:43 PM
Benko will have a ton of support

StarkVegasSteve
10-31-2022, 04:59 PM

Very simple, Currie had the hire in Schiano and Fulmer did not want him so he did what he did in 92 and rallied his group of Cigar Boys to torpedo that hire and then back room for the job while Currie was trying to get Leach.

Edited to add: I left out the part where Currie actually had Mullen hired at UT until Stricklin called him after the 17 EB. Mullen was actually flying up to Knoxville to finalize things with the UT brass that Friday.

Tripp McNeely
10-31-2022, 05:04 PM
Leaving Wake for State is a dream. I lived in Winston-Salem, NC for 5 years, ACC basketball is another level.
Also, Wake Forest has won a total of nine national championships in five different sports; five of these championships have come since 2002.

We can pay a lot more!

DownwardDawg
10-31-2022, 05:33 PM

What sports? Baseball? Football? Basketball?

DownwardDawg
10-31-2022, 05:35 PM
Very simple, Currie had the hire in Schiano and Fulmer did not want him so he did what he did in 92 and rallied his group of Cigar Boys to torpedo that hire and then back room for the job while Currie was trying to get Leach.

Edited to add: I left out the part where Currie actually had Mullen hired at UT until Stricklin called him after the 17 EB. Mullen was actually flying up to Knoxville to finalize things with the UT brass that Friday.

Then Currie and Mullen would both be fired from UT before last year. So this guy wanted to hire Mullen or Leach?

Commercecomet24
10-31-2022, 05:39 PM
What sports? Baseball? Football? Basketball?

Good question.

StarkVegasSteve
10-31-2022, 05:50 PM
Then Currie and Mullen would both be fired from UT before last year. So this guy wanted to hire Mullen or Leach?

Mullen first and he got poached at the 11th hour by Scott. Then he had Schiano hired and Fat Phil and his cigar boys got Clay Travis to torpedo that one and he was on the plane to interview and most likely hire Leach when Phil back roomed him out of his job so that he could hire Four Chins Pruitt

Leroy Jenkins
10-31-2022, 06:24 PM
Mostly is was Phil undermining him because he wanted to be the AD. The hire and subsequent back track from the hire of Greg Schaino from all of the backlash was a part but it's widely known that Phil instigated and flamed that backlash that turned the coaching search into a cluster. Currie though made missteps during that search too that help Phil gain the power. But that was after the Butch Jones firing not Pruitt

Yeah that was after Jones I forgot all about OL Butch. I was thinking the Schianno disaster was after the asparagus.

was21
10-31-2022, 06:26 PM
Which of these you mentioned have made a selection for a head football coach.

WhiskeyPirate
10-31-2022, 06:31 PM
Problem with Benko is that?s not going to be a big nil fund raiser guy.

Catfish
10-31-2022, 06:45 PM
Problem with Benko is that?s not going to be a big nil fund raiser guy.

True, but then again anything might be an improvement.

WhiskeyPirate
10-31-2022, 06:48 PM

Yea it would be, Cohen didn’t even make an attempt to raise nil money but a junior assistant isn’t the answer. Somebody like Currie or another experienced AD who will really help coordinate nil booster money is what is needed.

CaptainObvious
10-31-2022, 06:54 PM
If we are gonna hire a Hobart, I think it should be Hobie! Think of the atmosphere around sports events!!! Party like it?s 1999 !!!!

BeardoMSU
10-31-2022, 07:13 PM

Then he shouldn't be on the list.

NIL is the new normal. Either get on board with it and pursue it with all your energy and conviction, or get left in the ****ing dust.

BeardoMSU
10-31-2022, 07:17 PM
Interesting corollary here...

https://twitter.com/MattVTyler/status/1587220916597145601?s=20&t=2XsRaiUwHrjmC9UkV1tXPA

BeardoMSU
10-31-2022, 07:17 PM
And yeah, what he said...

https://twitter.com/MattVTyler/status/1587223598384701441?s=20&t=2XsRaiUwHrjmC9UkV1tXPA

TheLostDawg
10-31-2022, 08:51 PM
https://utahstateaggies.com/staff-directory/john-hartwell/167

In his time at Utah State, Hartwell has rebranded the fundraising arm of the athletics department with the creation of Aggies Unlimited, which puts all giving under one umbrella.

Utah State also entered into a partnership with the Larry H. Miller Sports & Entertainment Group to be its flagship radio station for Aggie Athletics, which gives USU additional advertising opportunities throughout Cache Valley and the Wasatch Front, in addition to more control over each broadcast.

Hartwell?s strong business background has also proved to be valuable at Utah State as he negotiated a new footwear and apparel deal with Nike in 2020. And most recently, Utah State partnered with Opendorse to help enhance name, image and likeness (NIL) opportunities for its student-athletes.

During his Utah State tenure, Hartwell has overseen the completion of the $36 million, 85,000-square foot West Stadium Center on the west side of Maverik Stadium, which includes 24 luxury suites, 20 loge boxes, over 700 covered club seats and a premium club area that is also used to host a student-athlete training table. Renovations also included new video boards on both the north and south ends of the stadium, along with a new public address system, while major concourse work significantly increased restrooms and upgraded concessions.

Utah State is also securing funding for a new 110,000-square-foot, $30 million indoor practice facility, which will also house USU?s new golf training facility, along with locker rooms and office space for its soccer program.

Bump. This guy gets business, money,

Lord McBuckethead
10-31-2022, 11:20 PM
And none of that matters because it isn?t football.

Reunion Dog
10-31-2022, 11:46 PM
Don?t forget about Vic?.. he would come back in a second.

StarkVegasSteve
11-01-2022, 08:31 AM
Don?t forget about Vic?.. he would come back in a second.

To do what? Does Purcell have an opening on staff?

State82
11-01-2022, 09:09 AM
NIL is the new normal. Either get on board with it and pursue it with all your energy and conviction, or get left in the ****ing dust.

Candidates that do not have this mindset should get no consideration whatsoever. None.

Quaoarsking
11-01-2022, 09:39 AM

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1587446688310267904?t=5cjAK16lz5tEBOQkTb32VA&s=19

StarkVegasSteve
11-01-2022, 09:59 AM
Hartwell resigned from Utah St last night. I doubt that is a coincidence.

Hambone
11-01-2022, 09:59 AM
https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1587453210641326080?s=46&t=9rNJB3TqNP7dfwo5Rbb1Mw

BeardoMSU
11-01-2022, 10:03 AM
https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1587453210641326080?s=46&t=9rNJB3TqNP7dfwo5Rbb1Mw

Hmm...that would be a good hire, yes?

Hambone
11-01-2022, 10:06 AM
Honestly, all I know is he was at Ole Miss for 9 years. And he was the front runner for the Auburn AD before whatever happened with Cohen happened.

BrunswickDawg
11-01-2022, 10:20 AM
Hmm...that would be a good hire, yes?

Depends on if he is deep in USU's sex assault issues, or if he running from a shit show before it envelops him.

R2Dawg
11-01-2022, 11:25 AM
He first tried to hire Mullen to TN.
The guy has 25 year track record as an AD, and twice was national AD of the year in different selections.

Yeah I ain't saying he is not a good choice. Just a bunch of folks were saying he was a good choice only because he liked Leach. We don't need a Templeton that was gonna give Croom a decade to produce just because he is a fan. That is all. He don't have to be anti HC either just do your job or excel in your job.

DownwardDawg
11-01-2022, 11:45 AM
Mullen first and he got poached at the 11th hour by Scott. Then he had Schiano hired and Fat Phil and his cigar boys got Clay Travis to torpedo that one and he was on the plane to interview and most likely hire Leach when Phil back roomed him out of his job so that he could hire Four Chins Pruitt

This doesn't excite me about this guy.

TheLostDawg
11-01-2022, 01:27 PM
Go click on my link above. It tells about all he's done at usu.
However it might be a coincidence because he's tied up in the sexual assault case and that's why Auburn moved on. It's that or he sees an opportunity and now is the right time to get out before that all blows up.

PikeDawg15
11-01-2022, 03:36 PM
Alright, I have done some digging and talking to people

I would be very happy with John David Wicker at San Diego State

Maroonthirteen
11-01-2022, 03:49 PM
Alright, I have done some digging and talking to people

I would be very happy with John David Wicker at San Diego State

Is he a candidate at this point?

I don't like another set of names came out today. I hope JDW is the man.

Catfish
11-01-2022, 04:02 PM
Is he a candidate at this point?

I don't like another set of names came out today. I hope JDW is the man.

Who are they considering?

PikeDawg15
11-01-2022, 04:09 PM

I have no idea who the Administration is considering personally

But I asked around and that John David Wicker is probably being considered

He is a MSU alum at san diego state and he is from Hattiesburg

He is doing great at SDSU and has proven success in stadium expansions, fundraising , etc

I do not know about NIL because it is just san diego state but , I think it would be a good fit here

I know some of us didnt want a MSU guy in there but , Ive heard he's a good AD

Maroonthirteen
11-01-2022, 04:32 PM

I was referencing Brett McMurphy tweet(s) of names.

Catfish
11-01-2022, 04:39 PM
I was referencing Brett McMurphy tweet(s) of names.

Gotcha

Cooterpoot
11-01-2022, 04:46 PM
Whicker is down the list a little. We'd have to miss on a few.

PikeDawg15
11-02-2022, 08:45 PM
The main name that keeps popping up currently is Jared Benko at Georgia Southern.

I?m still hoping keenum makes the fanbase feel better and go get a big name like John Currie

Westdawg
11-02-2022, 08:50 PM
I was told Hartwell by a couple ppl right before he stepped down from Utah State. I have a feeling we will have an announcement on Friday afternoon regardless of who it is.

PikeDawg15
11-02-2022, 08:53 PM
I was told Hartwell by a couple ppl right before he stepped down from Utah State. I have a feeling we will have an announcement on Friday afternoon regardless of who it is.

I would be happy with that.

I don?t know anything about the search , I?m just hearing what media members i know are saying, nobody on the inside on this search.

Everyone thinks really high of benko, I personally don?t want anyone who has been here before.

I want fresh ideas

BrunswickDawg
11-02-2022, 09:04 PM
I would be happy with that.

I don?t know anything about the search , I?m just hearing what media members i know are saying, nobody on the inside on this search.

Everyone thinks really high of benko, I personally don?t want anyone who has been here before.

I want fresh ideas

I don't think it's bad to have someone who has been at MSU as much as it is to have someone who has only been at MSU. Greg Byrne was on staff when he was hired. Benko has been at UGA, Arkansas and Auburn so he has a strong understanding of the SEC

Goldendawg
11-02-2022, 09:41 PM
I heard it is someone who has spent a lot of time with John Cohen, Steve "Rosebowl" somebody. Got the info from Bert Stare. Will update asap!*******

Captain Falcon
11-02-2022, 11:59 PM
If you had to put odds on it, my guess is Benko is probably the favorite. And would be a good hire.

I just have a hard time seeing Currie coming here. Wake is his alma mater and he hasn?t been there that long. His last SEC experience went really poorly so he may be content to ride it out in Winston-Salem. There?s also the fact that he doesn?t really have any connections here. Not saying he wouldn?t be a strong option, I?m just skeptical of his interest in us.

Benko has a heck of a resume for someone who?s only 38. Some will want a splashier hire but you can do a lot worse than Jared, and I think he?d definitely be an improvement from Cohen.

Johnson85
11-03-2022, 09:08 AM
If you had to put odds on it, my guess is Benko is probably the favorite. And would be a good hire.

I just have a hard time seeing Currie coming here. Wake is his alma mater and he hasn?t been there that long. His last SEC experience went really poorly so he may be content to ride it out in Winston-Salem. There?s also the fact that he doesn?t really have any connections here. Not saying he wouldn?t be a strong option, I?m just skeptical of his interest in us.

Benko has a heck of a resume for someone who?s only 38. Some will want a splashier hire but you can do a lot worse than Jared, and I think he?d definitely be an improvement from Cohen.

Yea, I think people are overestimating the desire of ADs to be in the toughest conference. Coaches want to be here because the pay is high enough and the prestige is there.

If you told an AD that he's doing good in the ACC, but he'd never be able to make it in the SEC, I don't think that would even register with them. And I don't know why they'd take the headache because it's not like one contract sets you for life the way one football contract does. Much better to be at a place where people are happy and reasonable and still make a lot of money.

WhiskeyPirate
11-03-2022, 09:12 AM
I heard it is someone who has spent a lot of time with John Cohen, Steve "Rosebowl" somebody. Got the info from Bert Stare. Will update asap!*******

You are close to the truth.

If the primary issue is NIL and fund raising, it doesn’t move the needle much to bring in someone like Benko. Rosebud is pimping him because he will keep the free lunch buffets coming.

BrunswickDawg
11-03-2022, 10:31 AM
You are close to the truth.

If the primary issue is NIL and fund raising, it doesn’t move the needle much to bring in someone like Benko. Rosebud is pimping him because he will keep the free lunch buffets coming.

Except that is why you need to look at what these guys have actually done. Benko came into GSU and shook up a poorly operated G5 department. In FY21, Benko led efforts that set a single year fundraising effort for the GSU athletic foundation that included $6.3 million in new donors. He then upped that in FY22 to $10.6 million in new donors. They have now raised $76 million for facilities under Benko.