PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi State Athletic Director

William Tecumsah Sherman
10-29-2022, 07:44 AM
I just heard some surprising info/rumor regarding who may or may not be the Mississippi State Athletic Director. Is there smoke here? Have any of you guys with connections heard anything?

Travelingdawg
10-29-2022, 08:08 AM
Well spill it.

Coldsleeve Jr.
10-29-2022, 09:56 AM
Lemonis***

Ranchdawg
10-29-2022, 10:05 AM
Haven’t heard anything but for everything real please let this happen

Political Hack
10-29-2022, 10:38 AM
He's retiring??? Or he's going to Auburn??? Or Florida is firing Strick and Cohen is going there???

PikeDawg15
10-29-2022, 11:06 AM
https://twitter.com/scoutstever/status/1586378337315954690?s=46&t=0dXjBnUm-Li0YjqTJNAOUw

mo7888
10-29-2022, 11:12 AM
https://twitter.com/scoutstever/status/1586378337315954690?s=46&t=0dXjBnUm-Li0YjqTJNAOUw

Best case scenario for us and Cohen.... does he take Leach with him?

confucius say
10-29-2022, 11:25 AM
Why do y'all want Cohen to leave?

I do think it would be good to have Byrne, Strick, and Cohen all as AD at other schools. They should look out for us more than others would.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-29-2022, 11:29 AM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/XfPGd5vztyOFpWc0iJ/giphy.gif

Activated Alpha
10-29-2022, 11:32 AM
We can honestly get a much worse AD then Cohen. I know a bunch of yall hate him, but it's not like we have been the worst in the SEC with him here

Hambone
10-29-2022, 11:35 AM
Don’t know what ya got, till it’s gone.

EdwardDrayton
10-29-2022, 11:40 AM
We can honestly get a much worse AD then Cohen. I know a bunch of yall hate him, but it's not like we have been the worst in the SEC with him here

No one hates him; in fact most, including myself, have been fans of John as a player, coach and AD. But I for one believe the odds are much greater a change will improve our football standing.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-29-2022, 11:44 AM
Auburn reporter Justin Hokanson reporting that Cohen was encouraged by MSU to look at other opportunities and that MSU was going to moving on.

Hambone
10-29-2022, 12:09 PM
I just don’t see an SEC School hiring another SEC AD that’s about to be fired.

That may totally be what’s happening, but I just don’t understand that.

PikeDawg15
10-29-2022, 12:12 PM

The lord works in Mysterious ways

Hail state thank you Auburn

Go hire Kiffin you got your yes man!

confucius say
10-29-2022, 12:15 PM
Steve says hokanson report that Cohen was told to look elsewhere is false

Goldendawg
If it's just him looking, surely we won't give him bigger $ to stay. If he goes do we have another in-house, no AD experience, on the job training type to replace him? Maybe an ex-basketball or track coach or something?**

msu15
Don’t know what ya got, till it’s gone.

John Cohen has done an awful job as our Athletic Director in regards to our football program, which is the only sport that really matters and what pays the bills.

Homedawg
10-29-2022, 12:17 PM
Auburn reporter Justin Hokanson reporting that Cohen was encouraged by MSU to look at other opportunities and that MSU was going to moving on.

No accurate

PikeDawg15
John Cohen has done an awful job as our Athletic Director in regards to our football program, which is the only sport that really matters and what pays the bills.

Exactly .

Our baseball program is big enough to recruit itself

Football , we need an actually good AD that knows what they are doing

Cough cough John Currie

Homedawg

He's not about to be fired. That's just not true

Commercecomet24
10-29-2022, 12:22 PM

This. Geez people.

Leroy Jenkins
10-29-2022, 12:27 PM
This is why Templeton was on Finebaum and not Cohen. Return of LT, baby!*

Hambone
10-29-2022, 12:29 PM
This. Geez people.

Auburn people are saying this. Just saying. I also don’t believe it.

PMDawg
10-29-2022, 12:34 PM

He just got a 4 year extension and a raise a few months ago. LOL

Goldendawg
10-29-2022, 12:37 PM
Please, please, not a penny extra to get him to stay. If we suddenly have $ for that mistake, we have $ to improve our football recruiting department budget now!

Commercecomet24
10-29-2022, 12:38 PM
Auburn people are saying this. Just saying. I also don’t believe it.

Auburn people never lie lol. I'm with you it's not true

ZedFedder
10-29-2022, 12:40 PM
I hope he stays. I think he’s done a solid job.

But I don’t see him leaving unless it’s encouraged. I figured he was as maroon as it gets.

PikeDawg15
10-29-2022, 12:44 PM

But I don’t see him leaving unless it’s encouraged. I figured he was as maroon as it gets.

Cohen getting kiffin to Auburn

PikeDawg15
10-29-2022, 12:45 PM

He needs to go , he was never qualified to begin with. All he knows is baseball

I know plenty of community colleges in Mississippi that have hired Failed baseball coaches as their AD?s with 0 experience

Goldendawg
10-29-2022, 12:47 PM
Cohen getting kiffin to Auburn

No way, you can't have two smartest people in the room!***

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 12:47 PM
I was almost ready to believe it until I saw the moron who wrote the tweet

Political Hack
10-29-2022, 12:48 PM
No way he was about to be fired, but there are improvements that could be made in several areas across the entire athletic department. Cohen was "steady Eddie." He had a big part of the baseball natty, so he's got something to hang his hat on. As someone else said in another thread, having two MSU friendly AD's at other schools isn't the worst thing in the world.

So... who's next?

HoopsDawg
10-29-2022, 12:51 PM
This is hilarious to me. Wow.

msstate7
10-29-2022, 12:51 PM
No way he was about to be fired, but there are improvements that could be made in several areas across the entire athletic department. Cohen was "steady Eddie." He had a big part of the baseball natty, so he's got something to hang his hat on. As someone else said in another thread, having two MSU friendly AD's at other schools isn't the worst thing in the world.

So... who's next?

Missed ya. Good to see you post

maroonmania
10-29-2022, 12:53 PM
The optics on this certainly are getting bad. People are going to start referring to us as the Jr College of the SEC where HCs and ADs train before going to a Sr College.

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 12:58 PM
I think Rosbud is wearing his fake dread locks a little too tight and he’s lacking brain circulation

DownwardDawg
10-29-2022, 01:01 PM

So... who's next?

Stricklin
Byrne
Cohen

MetEdDawg
10-29-2022, 01:02 PM
For all those that think Cohen stinks when it comes to football, go back and look at all the head coaches some of you wanted to hire over the last 5 years and where they all are now.

Also, check to see if you've increased or decreased your giving to our university or have contributed in any way to NIL.

Cohen has done a pretty good job. Lemonis won a championship. Soccer, softball, and volleyball have all been ranked in the Top 25 in the last year and are plying as good as they ever have. He fired Howland and I think made a solid hire in Jans. And Leach has been about as good as our history indicates a football coach will be.

Plus we have the premiere college baseball stadium in the country and are handling renovations at the Hump.

Not sure what else you all want from Cohen honestly.

Political Hack
10-29-2022, 01:08 PM
Stricklin
Byrne
Cohen

True.

Thanks 7! Been too long. Too bad our Bravos didn't make another run.

PikeDawg15
10-29-2022, 01:09 PM
For all those that think Cohen stinks when it comes to football, go back and look at all the head coaches some of you wanted to hire over the last 5 years and where they all are now.

Also, check to see if you've increased or decreased your giving to our university or have contributed in any way to NIL.

Cohen has done a pretty good job. Lemonis won a championship. Soccer, softball, and volleyball have all been ranked in the Top 25 in the last year and are plying as good as they ever have. He fired Howland and I think made a solid hire in Jans. And Leach has been about as good as our history indicates a football coach will be.

Plus we have the premiere college baseball stadium in the country and are handling renovations at the Hump.

Nobody cares about soccer
Nobody cares about volleyball
Nobody cares about softball

Outside of the players and parents .

Football and basketball

And baseball to a way lesser extent on the national stage

Football and basketball are what create you image as a athletic brand . And it?s what makes the money

I knew Joe moorhead was a horrible hire before we hired him, I want Dave clawson at that time or Lane kiffin.

I don?t care about optics on the AD job because it now makes it a good job because they all got ? bigger? AD jobs

Hell , OM AD left for A&M

A&M?s AD left for LSU

It happens. Cohen was a former baseball coach who couldn?t get it done so he hired someone else who could get it done. He did ? good? for what was asked but it?s time to move on from him.

But he should?ve never been hired because he didn?t have the experience in the first place to be a SEC AD.

Hire John Currie or Georgia Southern?s AD

Also look at Southern Miss?s AD.

dawgday166
10-29-2022, 01:10 PM

Grass is always greener to some. If Dak were still here instead of having a thread defending him ... There'd be numerous threads speculating about the backup QBs and if they're ready to step in to replace him.

HoopsDawg
10-29-2022, 01:11 PM

I don't have to look far to see where Moorhead is. I don't have to look far to see where Cannizaro is.

We have no idea about Jans, but he's recruiting has been subpar so far.

Also, this clearly needs to be stated because there is a lot of confusion, but Cohen had very, very little to do with our baseball stadium. Stricklin gets 95% of the credit there.

I'll give him credit on Lemonis even though Lemonis met none of the criteria Cohen publicly stated he wanted in our next head coach.

msstate7
Grass is always greener to some. If Dak were still here instead of having a thread defending him ... There'd be numerous threads speculating about the backup QBs and if they're ready to step in to replace him.

Was there a thread like that when dak was here? I can't remember one

LC Dawg
We have the lowest athletics budget in the SEC and outsiders see us competing in the SEC with larger programs and look at Cohen favorably. He was also AD when Mississippi State won our first national championship in a team sport.
I don't think it's a good look if we lose another alum AD to an SEC program.
If Cohen does leave Keenum better make a better hire. I'm basically neutral on Cohen because I think he's more interested in getting the most out of our last place budget than increasing our budget but we can definitely do worse even though some will argue with that.

HoopsDawg
10-29-2022, 01:13 PM

There was not. Coach34 called him checkdown Charlie and got absolutely drilled for it. But no one ever called for the backup QB when Dak was here. That's a complete strawman from dawgday166.

msstate7
10-29-2022, 01:14 PM
We have the lowest athletics budget in the SEC and outsiders see us competing in the SEC with larger programs and look at Cohen favorably. He was also AD when Mississippi State won our first national championship in a team sport.
If Cohen does leave Keenum better make a better hire. I'm basically neutral on Cohen because I think he's more interested in getting the most out of our last place budget than increasing our budget but we can definitely do worse even though some will argue with that.

He made a good hire in football and basketball on paper. He also made an abysmal hire when the stakes were the highest for us... I hold Cohen responsible for 2018 just as much as I do Moorhead

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 01:19 PM

What’s funny is outside of the dumbed down internet world, Cohens hire of Leach has earned him currency as an AD.

Hambone
10-29-2022, 01:22 PM
He made a good hire in football and basketball on paper. He also made an abysmal hire when the stakes were the highest for us... I hold Cohen responsible for 2018 just as much as I do Moorhead

I understand your point, but show me one national writer who said the Moorehead hire was nothing short of a home run? Literally everyone thought Cohen made a great hire. Everyone.

Hindsight is definitely 20/20 however on that day it was viewed as a great hire.

We have the greatest baseball stadium in the country and it isn’t close and that is 100% due to Cohen. We have a National Championship and that is 100% because of Cohen.

We have way more to be thankful for because of Cohen than we do to complain about.

My opinion of course.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-29-2022, 01:26 PM
What’s funny is outside of the dumbed down internet world, Cohens hire of Leach has earned him currency as an AD.

Overpaying for Leach earned him currency? Leach wasnt even his top 3 choices.

Leroy Jenkins
10-29-2022, 01:26 PM

IF...I said, "if" he's gone, I wouldn't call it "losing an AD".

dawgday166
10-29-2022, 01:27 PM

Lol ... I seem to remember he got drilled on here after both losses to OM. If he kept losing to OM probably so. But I reckon you right on that one.

HoopsDawg
10-29-2022, 01:29 PM

Actually, your post is what's funny. Damn near every AD from Miami to UT has had the chance to hire Leach. None of them wanted to do it. We hired Leach from Washington State, LOL. This wasn't akin to Byrne finding Mullen.

MetEdDawg
10-29-2022, 01:33 PM
Actually, your post is what's funny. Damn near every AD from Miami to UT has had the chance to hire Leach. None of them wanted to do it. We hired Leach from Washington State, LOL. This wasn't akin to Byrne finding Mullen.

I believe Tennessee very openly interviewed him if I'm not not mistaken.

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 01:34 PM

You’re a moron, an ad doesn’t get an offer if the leach hire was viewed as a bad hire. It’s a bad hire
To idiots claiming it’s expected to beat Alabama and LSU on the road. We aren’t a blue blood , we are the exact opposite of a blue blood.

msstate7
10-29-2022, 01:35 PM

You saying leach turned em down or making hoops point?

PikeDawg15
10-29-2022, 01:36 PM

Tennessee?s boosters stepped in and stopped it from happening.

HoopsDawg
10-29-2022, 01:38 PM
You saying leach turned em down or making hoops point?

Leach has said he wanted that job. So he made my point, LOL.

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 01:40 PM
Leach was also offered the Arkansas job, But none of that matters. His performance turning this program around is viewed in a positive light or Cohen does not get offered anywhere.

PikeDawg15
10-29-2022, 01:41 PM
From what I have heard since the offseason .

I am know seeing it so it is actually starting to make since

Like it or not folks.

Leach is coaching for his job on thanksgiving. No coach gets to lose 3 egg bowls in a row. We may not care about winning at a high level but seeing ole miss making NY6?s and getting all the best in state recruits and making us look like the 2nd rate school, hell , jackson state gets more publicity than us now.

We are falling behind OM as a football program and their baseball program has just caught up with us also. While they have a way better football program and coach that has the media loving him and recruits in the portal begging to come to ole miss.

The football boosters see this and know what?s got to happen.

If leach loses the egg bowl he is fired .

That?s what I?ve been told since before the season started by people associated with the program that I know and know im seeing it

Cohen getting out before Leach gets him fired.

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 01:42 PM

Like it or not folks.

Leach is coaching for his job on thanksgiving. No coach gets to lose 3 egg bowls in a row. We may not care about winning at a high level but seeing ole miss making NY6?s and getting all the best in state recruits and making us look like the 2nd rate school, hell , jackson state gets more publicity than us now.

We are falling behind OM as a football program and their baseball program has just caught up with us also. While they have a way better football program and coach that has the media loving him and recruits in the portal begging to come to ole miss.

That?s what I?ve been told since before the season started by people associated with the program that I know and know im seeing it

Lol no change that to LMAO

HoopsDawg
10-29-2022, 01:42 PM
You’re a moron, an ad doesn’t get an offer if the leach hire was viewed as a bad hire. It’s a bad hire
To idiots claiming it’s expected to beat Alabama and LSU on the road. We aren’t a blue blood , we are the exact opposite of a blue blood.

Forget whether it was a bad hire or a good hire, any Power 5 school in the country could have hired Leach if they wanted to. But I know that statement is going to be tough for you to comprehend.

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 01:44 PM
Forget whether it was a bad hire or a good hire, any Power 5 school in the country could have hired Leach if they wanted to. But I know that statement is going to be tough for you to comprehend.

No they couldn’t, Arkansas offered him the job and he said no. But you are a loud mouth without many brain cells

MetEdDawg
10-29-2022, 01:46 PM
Leach has said he wanted that job. So he made my point, LOL.

How many people have you offered to interview in your career that you weren't interested in hiring?

Colleges don't waste their time interviewing people they don't have interest in hiring.

And do you really think the hire they made instead of Leach proves your point? Because Pruitt was a massive dumpster fire.

PikeDawg15
10-29-2022, 01:48 PM
Lol no change that to LMAO

You gonna LOL when we lose 45-21 and leach is fired .

I guarantee he?s fired IF he loses the egg bowl .

Fully guarantee. Chalk this up wherever and pin it

PikeDawg15
10-29-2022, 01:49 PM
How many people have you offered to interview in your career that you weren't interested in hiring?

Colleges don't waste their time interviewing people they don't have interest in hiring.

And do you really think the hire they made instead of Leach proves your point? Because Pruitt was a massive dumpster fire.
The leach hire for Tennessee that was considered was when they hired lane kiffin instead.

2009, after Texas tech had the 11-1 season. Leach was looking to get out

msstate7
10-29-2022, 01:49 PM

Hoops said they coulda had him. Are you disputing that?

MetEdDawg
10-29-2022, 01:50 PM
The leach hire for Tennessee that was considered was when they hired lane kiffin instead.

Leach was interviewed at Tennessee in 2017

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 01:51 PM
You gonna LOL when we lose 45-21 and leach is fired .

I guarantee he?s fired IF he loses the egg bowl .

Fully guarantee. Chalk this up wherever and pin it
Leach can go 1-3 and get blown out and he will be here next year with an easy schedule and coast to 9-10 wins. And you will be eating shit sandwiches.

You need to stop listening to those voices in your head.

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 01:53 PM
Leach was interviewed at Tennessee in 2017

Anyone can google it. You are correct

MetEdDawg
10-29-2022, 01:53 PM
Hoops said they coulda had him. Are you disputing that?

No. But not hiring someone doesn't mean you don't have interest, which is not was this was about. Tennessee clearly had interest. They interviewed him.

Not sure how many interviews you've conducted but it is possible to like someone but still hire someone else. But you don't get in the door for an interview in college football at a program like Tennessee unless someone is interested in hiring you.

Hoops said no one was interested and that's just not correct.

msstate7
10-29-2022, 01:55 PM
Leach can go 1-3 and get blown out and he will be here next year with an easy schedule and coast to 9-10 wins. And you will be eating shit sandwiches.

Coast to 9-10 wins! Lol, are you a moron?

PikeDawg15
10-29-2022, 01:57 PM

Mike Leach will never win more than 8 games in a regular season at Miss St

WhiskeyPirate
Coast to 9-10 wins! Lol, are you a moron?

No I can read a schedule and I can see who is likely to return, have another drink.

WhiskeyPirate
Mike Leach will never win more than 8 games in a regular season at Miss St

Or you will break down and cry. Well prepare to cry because he’s got a cakewalk next year

msstate7
10-29-2022, 02:05 PM
No I can read a schedule and I can see who is likely to return, have another drink.

Who is auburn's new coach? What does ark's recruiting class look like? Who leaves us? Who comes in? This is the transfer age, and you can't tell a damn thing about next season in October

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-29-2022, 02:09 PM

You should quit arguing while you are this far behind. You keep posting wrong information and are looking like a bigger and bigger fool.

chef dixon
10-29-2022, 02:13 PM
We are AD "U" baby

msu15
10-29-2022, 02:17 PM

You man enough to put money on that? If you're too chicken how about a permanent ban bet because you bring nothing to this board.

PikeDawg15
10-29-2022, 02:19 PM

We had the most returning starters in the sec this season

We are going 7-5 this year.

Guess I?ll drink some more

DownwardDawg
10-29-2022, 02:20 PM
Bye weeks are fun at State!!!

Maverick91
10-29-2022, 02:22 PM

Like it or not folks.

You are starting to sound like Bert. Lol

What if we win out and lose close to pissville U? Are we still firing him.

msstate7
10-29-2022, 02:24 PM
Bye weeks are fun at State!!!

I had one of my most epic meltdowns here on a bye week a few years back lol

PikeDawg15
10-29-2022, 02:25 PM
You are starting to sound like Bert. Lol

What if we win out and lose close to pissville U? Are we still firing him.

No we would not fire him in that case

Not trying to sound like ? that guy? , sorry for coming off as a douche or a know it all but

Assuming we only beat auburn and ETSU

A blowout loss to OM will get him fired

A 6-6 season with another loss to OM gets him fired

8-4 beating #1 Georgia losing to OM close doesn?t get him fired.

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 02:28 PM
No we would not fire him in that case

Not trying to sound like ? that guy? , sorry for coming off as a douche or a know it all but

Assuming we only beat auburn and ETSU

A blowout loss to OM will get him fired

A 6-6 season with another loss to OM gets him fired

8-4 beating #1 Georgia losing to OM close doesn?t get him fired.
Lol

Quaoarsking
10-29-2022, 02:29 PM
"If we lose to Ole Miss he will get fired, guaranteed."

"Oh wait there are actually some scenarios in which he wouldn't get fired."

Goldendawg
10-29-2022, 02:30 PM
I understand your point, but show me one national writer who said the Moorehead hire was nothing short of a home run? Literally everyone thought Cohen made a great hire. Everyone.

Hindsight is definitely 20/20 however on that day it was viewed as a great hire.

We have the greatest baseball stadium in the country and it isn?t close and that is 100% due to Cohen. We have a National Championship and that is 100% because of Cohen.

We have way more to be thankful for because of Cohen than we do to complain about.

My opinion of course.

Most of the college sports world follows football and men's BB only. Just the way it is.

HancockCountyDog
10-29-2022, 02:31 PM
The Hugh Freeze extension at Liberty makes a a ton of sense now.

If Cohen gets the job, the AU job just disappeared for Freeze.

msstate7
10-29-2022, 02:31 PM
The Hugh Freeze extension at Liberty makes a a ton of sense now.

If Cohen gets the job, the AU job just disappeared for Freeze.

Will he at least give us a good bye kiss by taking lane?

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 02:33 PM

Playing Alabama and LSU on the road and then playing Georgia gives the turds some ammunition, although very low caliber ammunition.

They are going to be suffering next year when Leach plays a long string of Hostess cupcakes.

I can hear it now “he can’t win 11 he can’t win 11”

PikeDawg15
10-29-2022, 02:33 PM

Sir.

That?s assuming he beats GEORGIA.

He?s not beating Georgia .

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 02:36 PM
Sir.

So

Goldendawg
10-29-2022, 02:38 PM

If we only go 1-3 down the stretch and end up 6-7 after a nothing bowl, we no way win 9 to 10 next year. We will still be in the West no matter how "easy" next year's schedule looks.

PikeDawg15
10-29-2022, 02:39 PM
So

You said if he beats Georgia will he get fired still ?

Well no, he would have pulled off the greatest upset in 15+ years at MSU. He could then lose the egg bowl

But assuming the realistic idea he loses to Georgia , gets killed by OM

Only beats auburn and ETSU goes 7-5 with all he returned in year 3 while not looking improved at all , maybe even worse.

Yes , there are people within the program that will want him gone and they will outnumber the people who want to keep him.

Quaoarsking
10-29-2022, 02:39 PM
Sir.

I don't care if we're playing the Eagles. You said he was absolutely gone if we lose to Ole Miss, but immediately backtracked to there being a scenario that he might not be. Did you lie? Exaggerate? How can we believe a word you say when you contradict yourself like this?

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 02:40 PM
If we only go 1-3 down the stretch and end up 6-7 after a nothing bowl, we no way win 9 to 10 next year. We will still be in the West no matter how "easy" next year's schedule looks.

Losing to auburn does not prevent next years team from getting 9-10 wins with a cake schedule. I doubt we lose to auburn but it really doesn’t matter. leach isn’t getting fired.

Goldendawg
10-29-2022, 02:41 PM

Another year older, does not automatically mean a year better for some of these guys if they return. I not drinking.

PikeDawg15
10-29-2022, 02:42 PM
I don't care if we're playing the Eagles. You said he was absolutely gone if we lose to Ole Miss, but immediately backtracked to there being a scenario that he might not be. Did you lie? Exaggerate? How can we believe a word you say when you contradict yourself like this?

?

If I tell my son that if he doesn?t have his room cleaned in one hour he will be grounded. I?m not accounting for the fact that a ****ing tornado would come and hit his room.

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 02:42 PM
You said if he beats Georgia will he get fired still ?

Well no, he would have pulled off the greatest upset in 15+ years at MSU. He could then lose the egg bowl

But assuming the realistic idea he loses to Georgia , gets killed by OM

Only beats auburn and ETSU goes 7-5 with all he returned in year 3 while not looking improved at all , maybe even worse.

Yes , there are people within the program that will want him gone and they will outnumber the people who want to keep him.

You are making things up, talking in circles and living in a internet fantasy world. What you type has no bearing on reality. leach isn’t getting fired and you don’t represent the fan base. Neither do the little bucket of turds on genes page.

Goldendawg
10-29-2022, 02:43 PM
We had the most returning starters in the sec this season

We are going 7-5 this year.

Guess I?ll drink some more

Returning starters don't mean the most talent in the SEC.

dawgday166
10-29-2022, 02:43 PM

If Cohen leaves this is probably true.

Then we can start the cycle all over again and hire someone like Napier ... so we can lose all our SEC games except Mizzou. And instead of losing to KY & LSU on the road, we can lose to them at home, like Napier.

I'm ready ... let's goooo!!

Quaoarsking
10-29-2022, 02:45 PM
?

If I tell my son that if he doesn?t have his room cleaned in one hour he will be grounded. I?m not accounting for the fact that a ****ing tornado would come and hit his room.

You're just digging yourself deeper. You'd be better off just admitting you're full of shit than trying to act like "a tornado destroys my house" is equivalent to the 30-40% chance the metrics give us to beat Georgia.

DownwardDawg
10-29-2022, 02:50 PM
I had one of my most epic meltdowns here on a bye week a few years back lol

Haha!!

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 02:51 PM
If Cohen leaves this is probably true.

Then we can start the cycle all over again and hire someone like Napier ... so we can lose all our SEC games except Mizzou. And instead of losing to KY & LSU on the road, we can lose to them at home, like Napier.

I'm ready ... let's goooo!!

Agree with your post. In every metric this is a bottom tier sec program, all the ingredients are there to sink down into the mire with vanderbilt and Missouri. The AD change relating to the coach is a logical conclusion as well. The difference here is Leach is going to coach next year, no matter the outcome of this year. Leach will win a lot of games next year, probably 9-10. He is extended until 2025. He isn’t going any where unless he decides to in all likelihood.

Dawg2003
10-29-2022, 03:02 PM
Agree with your post. In every metric this is a bottom tier sec program, all the ingredients are there to sink down into the mire with vanderbilt and Missouri. The AD change relating to the coach is a logical conclusion as well. The difference here is Leach is going to coach next year, no matter the outcome of this year. Leach will win a lot of games next year, probably 9-10. He is extended until 2025. He isn’t going any where unless he decides to in all likelihood.

I laughed, but this is so true. People hate on Cohen and think that another AD could change things. I have doubts about that.

dawgday166
10-29-2022, 03:05 PM
Agree with your post. In every metric this is a bottom tier sec program, all the ingredients are there to sink down into the mire with vanderbilt and Missouri. The AD change relating to the coach is a logical conclusion as well. The difference here is Leach is going to coach next year, no matter the outcome of this year. Leach will win a lot of games next year, probably 9-10. He is extended until 2025. He isn?t going any where unless he decides to in all likelihood.

I'm ready! Let's do IT!!!

Saltydog
10-29-2022, 03:06 PM
Returning starters don't mean the most talent in the SEC.

CHECKMATE.....

vindastra
10-29-2022, 03:09 PM

No idea why people hate on Cohen here.

The Moorhead hire was universally hailed by everyone (there was even an article comparing Cohen's meticulous search vs what TN did at that time).

We are most likely going to hire some "experienced" AD that would be put us in a hole like how A&M or AU or FL are now. People really need to read the Rant to understand what other ADs are doing in the SEC.

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 03:11 PM
I'm ready! Let's do IT!!!

Then the pea brains will want to change coaches again in three years. The guys out there who can rebuild a small financially poor programs into solid middle of the pack programs are a very short list, more misses than hits. Cohen did his homework on Leach. Texas tech and WSU are basically Miss State, Texas tech probably a little stronger in relation to the big 12 and program history, WSU a little weaker.

Then you get in a financial hole, because you are a small financially disadvantaged program. You get locked in on a bad hire and you can’t get out of it, you are still paying buyouts with a,limited budget and can’t afford facility upgrades. This scenario plays out over and over with the doormat programs.

I think the people that really make these decisions know the reality.

William Tecumsah Sherman
10-29-2022, 03:13 PM
I?m shocked at this development. I can?t help but think Cohen believes State is toast in this NIL world and he is bolting.

IMissJack
10-29-2022, 03:14 PM
So are the ad?s the problem or Keenum? Legitimate question, does he give an AD the leeway to be more successful or not?

dawgday166
10-29-2022, 03:16 PM
Then the pea brains will want to change coaches again in three years. The guys out there who can rebuild a small financially poor programs into solid middle of the pack programs are a very short list, more misses than hits. Cohen did his homework on Leach. Texas tech and WSU are basically Miss State, Texas tech probably a little stronger in relation to the big 12 and program history, WSU a little weaker.

Then you get in a financial hole, because you are a small financially disadvantaged program. You get locked in on a bad hire and you can’t get out of it, you are still paying buyouts with a,limited budget and can’t afford facility upgrades. This scenario plays out over and over with the doormat programs.

I think the people that really make these decisions know the reality.

Yep. I'm ready to jump into the never ending cycle of hiring/firing every 3 years while paying buyouts to multiple coaches at the same time. Makes sense to me as to being the road to prosperity.

DownwardDawg
10-29-2022, 03:25 PM
We need more bye weeks. This thread has helped me through my workday today.

Johnson85
10-29-2022, 03:32 PM
Why do y'all want Cohen to leave?

I do think it would be good to have Byrne, Strick, and Cohen all as AD at other schools. They should look out for us more than others would.

I don?t have a strong opinion of him, but with all the animosity towards him, it?s not terrible for for him to leave while there is still goodwill. He and Stricklin will be voting their employers interests first, but when there is not a conflict, I would expect them to look out for us. Not sure if Byrne has any goodwill towards us, but if he does, that?s three allies plus Sankey. Again, not going to be biased in our favor or anything, but should at least be on the lookout against us getting screwed.

CaptainObvious
10-29-2022, 03:37 PM
My reason for telling Cohen to hit the road is not because I dislike the guy. It is because it looks exactly like the Striklin move. Interviewing with another SEC program. It stinks of disloyalty by an Alum. If he is making decisions based on what message board heroes think of him, that is another strike against him.

I just think his goal is to move to Alabama and run for Senate as a Progressive to counter Tubberville. 😂😂😂😂😂

dawgday166
10-29-2022, 03:37 PM
I don?t have a strong opinion of him, but with all the animosity towards him, it?s not terrible for for him to leave while there is still goodwill. He and Stricklin will be voting their employers interests first, but when there is not a conflict, I would expect them to look out for us. Not sure if Byrne has any goodwill towards us, but if he does, that?s three allies plus Sankey. Again, not going to be biased in our favor or anything, but should at least be on the lookout against us getting screwed.

I'm not getting where Byrne or Strickland helping us at all. Didn't stop Saban from hiring away 2 assistants after 2018. I don't see squarely called games against Bama either.

Quaoarsking
10-29-2022, 03:53 PM
I'm not getting where Byrne or Strickland helping us at all. Didn't stop Saban from hiring away 2 assistants after 2018. I don't see squarely called games against Bama either.

When the SEC is figuring out who to give everyone as their 3 permanent opponents in the 16-team, 9-game format, I expect Florida, Auburn, and Alabama to all vote for a plan that gives us Ole Miss and Kentucky as 2 of our 3.

Obviously they're not going to put us in front of any of their current jobs, but they will do some little things to help us. Another example would be if a cowbell ban comes up for a vote again for whatever reason, I strongly expect all 3 of those to vote No.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-29-2022, 03:55 PM
I can't believe people are melting down about this. I have a higher opinion of Cohen than many on this board, and even I don't think he will be very hard to replace with someone better.

dawgday166
10-29-2022, 03:57 PM
When the SEC is figuring out who to give everyone as their 3 permanent opponents in the 16-team, 9-game format, I expect Florida, Auburn, and Alabama to all vote for a plan that gives us Ole Miss and Kentucky as 2 of our 3.

Obviously they're not going to put us in front of any of their current jobs, but they will do some little things to help us. Another example would be if a cowbell ban comes up for a vote again for whatever reason, I strongly expect all 3 of those to vote No.

I also haven't thought we got any kind of favorable scheduling either. Ole Miss gets much better scheduling than we do. JMO tho.

msugolf
10-29-2022, 04:02 PM
I can't believe people are melting down about this. I have a higher opinion of Cohen than many on this board, and even I don't think he will be very hard to replace with someone better.

It's because most people are pu**ies and are scared of their own shadow.

Quaoarsking
10-29-2022, 04:03 PM
I also haven't thought we got any kind of favorable scheduling either. Ole Miss gets much better scheduling than we do. JMO tho.

In football at least, we're still on the SEC schedule rotation that was set in 2014 and was intended to go through 2025 (but probably won't because of Texas and Oklahoma).

PikeDawg15
10-29-2022, 04:09 PM
My reason for telling Cohen to hit the road is not because I dislike the guy. It is because it looks exactly like the Striklin move. Interviewing with another SEC program. It stinks of disloyalty by an Alum. If he is making decisions based on what message board heroes think of him, that is another strike against him.

I just think his goal is to move to Alabama and run for Senate as a Progressive to counter Tubberville. 😂😂😂😂😂

He got mad that the Drag Show was cancelled for his ?Daughterson?

msstate7
10-29-2022, 04:10 PM
In football at least, we're still on the SEC schedule rotation that was set in 2014 and was intended to go through 2025 (but probably won't because of Texas and Oklahoma).

It changes... would we have rather faced James Franklin when he was at vandy?

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 04:12 PM

Ole miss next year is at Ga, at Bama at MSU, has LSU, Arkansas and tamu at home. They have 4-5 losses there. If they were on the road UK and LSU instead of drawing Vanderbilt, they have our schedule this year.

They gave us a nice soft slate next year though.

Offshore Dawg
10-29-2022, 04:54 PM
Wish not for what you want as you might have to live with it.

Dawgology
10-29-2022, 04:56 PM

We are talking about Auburn. There hires rarely make sense.

DudyDawg
10-29-2022, 05:07 PM
You?re a moron, an ad doesn?t get an offer if the leach hire was viewed as a bad hire. It?s a bad hire
To idiots claiming it?s expected to beat Alabama and LSU on the road. We aren?t a blue blood , we are the exact opposite of a blue blood.

It was an awful hire for the EXACT reason you said. We aren?t a blue blood. We aren?t sexy. We CANNOT hire a reitrement aged coach. It?s not about beating Bama and those guys. It?s about staying in the fight. And Leach isn?t that.

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 05:23 PM
It was an awful hire for the EXACT reason you said. We aren?t a blue blood. We aren?t sexy. We CANNOT hire a reitrement aged coach. It?s not about beating Bama and those guys. It?s about staying in the fight. And Leach isn?t that.

Number one how is a 59 year old coach retirement age ?

Number two if it was viewed as an awful hire within the upper echelons of the sec, why was Cohen able to upgrade jobs based on that signature hire ?

The only thing you typed that has any truth in it is we are not a blue blood, far from it.

DudyDawg
10-29-2022, 06:49 PM
Number one how is a 59 year old coach retirement age ?

Number two if it was viewed as an awful hire within the upper echelons of the sec, why was Cohen able to upgrade jobs based on that signature hire ?
W I?m
The only thing you typed that has any truth in it is we are not a blue blood, far from it.

I won?t delegate good decisions to auburns athletic department- they?ve handled that perception themselves lately.

As far as Leach- have you seen one single interview, conversation, pitch, ANYTHING, that screams ?this is going to appeal to 17 year olds from Alabama Mississippi and Louisiana?? I haven?t. That?s what matters now.

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 06:53 PM
I won?t delegate good decisions to auburns athletic department- they?ve handled that perception themselves lately.

As far as Leach- have you seen one single interview, conversation, pitch, ANYTHING, that screams ?this is going to appeal to 17 year olds from Alabama Mississippi and Louisiana?? I haven?t. That?s what matters now.
Hot take

His interviews don’t appeal to 17 year olds

Quaoarsking
10-29-2022, 07:05 PM

I'd say most 17-year-olds like candy, so that viral one probably did.

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 07:07 PM

Lol

And again athletic directors don’t get promotions to bigger programs based on “disastrous terrible hires” for football in the sec. The Leach hire is Cohens signature hire and led to a better job. Football people think Leach was a good hire,

Morons on the internet don’t factor into reality.

DudyDawg
10-29-2022, 08:20 PM

Guess the candy corn is why we are so successful recruiting under leach.

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 08:25 PM
Guess the candy corn is why we are so successful recruiting under leach.
Same recruiting rankings as they’ve always been but keep reaching

DudyDawg
10-29-2022, 09:29 PM
Same recruiting rankings as they?ve always been but keep reaching

My man- we are winning less, and as you say, recruiting the same. With a 60 year old who DOES NOT RELATE to kids. You just wanna keep rolling along? I think we can improve on the recruiting front, and I?d like to have an AD and coach with some energy and growth potential, but maybe my glasses are too maroon.

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 09:31 PM
My man- we are winning less, and as you say, recruiting the same. With a 60 year old who DOES NOT RELATE to kids. You just wanna keep rolling along? I think we can improve on the recruiting front, and I?d like to have an AD and coach with some energy and growth potential, but maybe my glasses are too maroon.

Lol

DudyDawg
10-29-2022, 09:33 PM
Lol

Color me crazy. I may be wrong. I?d rather have a coach who?s being courted by ?bigger? programs than one on his last couple holes who gets off a good interview or two a year.

Quaoarsking
10-29-2022, 09:42 PM

We are?

DudyDawg
10-29-2022, 09:45 PM
We are?

Okay about the same but that didn?t fit my point did it?

Quaoarsking
10-29-2022, 09:47 PM
Okay about the same but that didn?t fit my point did it?

No, I think it completely changes your point. We are matching our peak and rising anyway.

DudyDawg
10-29-2022, 09:54 PM
No, I think it completely changes your point. We are matching our peak and rising anyway.

Are we? I?m not sure I?d agree with that. Our peak was undefeated, number 1, and a coach being rumored to be paid a brinks truck to leave us tor a ?blue blood?. I don?t think we are there right now. Idk. I want the best for us, and I don?t think Leach is it.

Quaoarsking
10-29-2022, 09:57 PM
Are we? I?m not sure I?d agree with that. Our peak was undefeated, number 1, and a coach being rumored to be paid a brinks truck to leave us tor a ?blue blood?. I don?t think we are there right now. Idk. I want the best for us, and I don?t think Leach is it.

Yeah, I don't know if Leach is ever going to get us to #1 (I can dream though), but our peak was Dan Mullen averaging 7.1-4.9 over his 9 regular seasons. (It can be noted that over those 9 seasons he went 0-2 against P5 nonconfs and didn't play one in the other 7, while Leach has gone 2-0 against P5 nonconfs and will probably also have to start playing a 9th SEC game every year soon.)

I think Leach will beat that easily if he has 9 years as our head coach, especially if you "adjust" for the 2020 COVID year. I don't know that he is the "best" coach we could possibly have, but I do think it's a reasonable prediction that he will generally be considered the best coach in school history in 10 years. Maybe not on this board, maybe not in our fanbase as a whole, but by most of the country.

Todd4State
10-29-2022, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I don't know if Leach is ever going to get us to #1 (I can dream though), but our peak was Dan Mullen averaging 7.1-4.9 over his 9 regular seasons. (It can be noted that over those 9 seasons he went 0-2 against P5 nonconfs and didn't play one in the other 7, while Leach has gone 2-0 against P5 nonconfs and will probably also have to start playing a 9th SEC game every year soon.)

I think Leach will beat that easily if he has 9 years as our head coach, especially if you "adjust" for the 2020 COVID year. I don't know that he is the "best" coach we could possibly have, but I do think it's a reasonable prediction that he will generally be considered the best coach in school history in 10 years. Maybe not on this board, maybe not in our fanbase as a whole, but by most of the country.

Historically Leach's "peak" is 11-2 at both Washington State and Texas Tech which he has accomplished twice. He did that in year 9 at Tech and year 7 at Wazzu. Mostly 8-9 win seasons otherwise and his low seasons were typically in the first three seasons. He did have one 6-7 season in 2019 his last season at Wazzu but otherwise he has pretty much had consistent 8-9 win seasons.

No one wants to hear this now but if we give him time I think he will get that 11 win season here too.

Todd4State
10-29-2022, 10:07 PM

We'll never get to our true "peak" no matter the coach until we start investing more in football recruiting. Something I hope the new AD does. Because that's something no MSU AD has ever truly embraced.

CaptainObvious
10-29-2022, 10:16 PM

Who will be his QBs over that time period? I just don?t see anyway the Texas Guys are here next year. Maybe Locke, but I don?t see how the other two wait behind Rogers another year. They may never figure out Leach?s offense but they were too highly rated to not find a team they can play for.

Reunion Dog
10-30-2022, 05:16 AM
Pike dog is right in the money. I have been telling y?all since after the egg bowl last year that if leech losses again this year?.. he is done at State. Keenum hates Ole Miss as much as anyone?. And it?s a done deal if they beat us again this year.

Quaoarsking
10-30-2022, 09:48 AM
Pike dog is right in the money. I have been telling y?all since after the egg bowl last year that if leech losses again this year?.. he is done at State. Keenum hates Ole Miss as much as anyone?. And it?s a done deal if they beat us again this year.

But Pike has already backed off that guarantee in this very thread...

WhiskeyPirate
10-30-2022, 09:55 AM

Lol

He’s on something alright but it’s not money

maroonmania
10-30-2022, 01:42 PM
Historically Leach's "peak" is 11-2 at both Washington State and Texas Tech which he has accomplished twice. He did that in year 9 at Tech and year 7 at Wazzu. Mostly 8-9 win seasons otherwise and his low seasons were typically in the first three seasons. He did have one 6-7 season in 2019 his last season at Wazzu but otherwise he has pretty much had consistent 8-9 win seasons.

No one wants to hear this now but if we give him time I think he will get that 11 win season here too.

I think he would have but the world has changed now. Leach wants to do things traditionally by developing players like before NIL and the transfer portal. Not going after transfers and our limitations in the NIL are going to make things difficult on Leach.

Quaoarsking
10-30-2022, 01:50 PM
I think he would have but the world has changed now. Leach wants to do things traditionally by developing players like before NIL and the transfer portal. Not going after transfers and our limitations in the NIL are going to make things difficult on Leach.

Leach has gotten several players out of the transfer portal each year here. Not sure where this "not going after transfers" talking point comes from.

WhiskeyPirate
10-30-2022, 01:56 PM
Leach has gotten several players out of the transfer portal each year here. Not sure where this "not going after transfers" talking point comes from.

It’s a false narrative. Leach will use the portal and nil as much as anybody. He correctly made statements that nil was not good for the game of college football , some of his enemies ran with that to say he won’t use the portal or nil. Nil is just about money. That’s boosters not the coach.

maroonmania
10-30-2022, 02:13 PM
It’s a false narrative. Leach will use the portal and nil as much as anybody. He correctly made statements that nil was not good for the game of college football , some of his enemies ran with that to say he won’t use the portal or nil. Nil is just about money. That’s boosters not the coach.

We are getting a few players but Polk has probably been the only difference maker. Overall, I dont think Leach really wants to go the transfer route in any significant way though. We desperately needed a proven OT this year but couldn't get one.

was21
10-30-2022, 02:18 PM
Perusing these posts from the beginning to end....some folk are living in some kind of alternate reality.

confucius say
10-30-2022, 02:21 PM

I've said this numerous times. Leach is Mullen from a results standpoint.
And keeping us 7-5 or above is a tremendous job. We should be Mizzou, Vandy, usce and instead the last 14 season we are Arkansas, Aggie, auburn.

Todd4State
10-30-2022, 02:24 PM
We are getting a few players but Polk has probably been the only difference maker. Overall, I dont think Leach really wants to go the transfer route in any significant way though. We desperately needed a proven OT this year but couldn't get one.

Has OT been an issue this year? Jackie Matthews and Jalen Green have both been very good pick ups.

Quaoarsking
10-30-2022, 02:26 PM

Any player who single-handedly flips a loss to a win is a "difference maker," even if it's just 1, so add KJ Costello to your list.

WhiskeyPirate
10-30-2022, 02:28 PM
Actually we tried like hell to get a portal OL but that is very hard to do. Of all the positions that seems to be the most competitive, everybody wants one. Hopefully we spot a few this year, Lasoya was a good get

viverlibre
10-30-2022, 05:14 PM
I've said this numerous times. Leach is Mullen from a results standpoint.
And keeping us 7-5 or above is a tremendous job. We should be Mizzou, Vandy, usce and instead the last 14 season we are Arkansas, Aggie, auburn.

Every year we need to split OM/Ark/UK and the barn/LSU/T7&5 (which ever is down that year). This will put us at 6 wins. If our other east opponent is anyone other than UGA (and UT this year), we can easily get 7 wins. Throw in an upset or two and that's 8 or 9 wins, very respectable. We should never schedule an out of conference opponent that has a realistic chance of beating us. Our schedule is hard enough.

Goldendawg
10-30-2022, 05:50 PM
Has OT been an issue this year? Jackie Matthews and Jalen Green have both been very good pick ups.

Our safeties have been very bad in pass coverage for two years.

Goldendawg
10-30-2022, 05:55 PM

OM got 20 players out of the portal for this year. Lane and staff have molded them into a team and it doesn't seem to have taken them long to learn the offence on that side of the ball.

Catfish
10-30-2022, 06:18 PM
OM got 20 players out of the portal for this year. Lane and staff have molded them into a team and it doesn't seem to have taken them long to learn the offence on that side of the ball.

Yeah, that really surprises me that they were able to pull it off.

WhiskeyPirate
10-30-2022, 06:23 PM
They have great backs and a good run blocking o line. Passing game is just ok and the defense is really bad. I think Arkansas gashes them and beats them pretty bad. I think Sanders ran for 170 their last game and KJ had about 300 combined yards.

If Jimbo wasnt inebriated I think a and m beats them

Catfish
10-30-2022, 06:51 PM
They have great backs and a good run blocking o line. Passing game is just ok and the defense is really bad. I think Arkansas gashes them and beats them pretty bad. I think Sanders ran for 170 their last game and KJ had about 300 combined yards.

If Jimbo wasnt inebriated I think a and m beats them

Wait, what, are you serious?

Todd4State
10-30-2022, 07:17 PM

Having an easy schedule helps with that. Some their best players are the ones either inherited or recruited like Mingo and Watkins.

Doing that year in and year out I'm not sold that it's going to work out any better than when we had about that many JUCO's. Sure we might get a 1999 but we also might get a 2001 season.

WhiskeyPirate
10-30-2022, 08:06 PM
Wait, what, are you serious?

No but I don’t think his brain is firing on all cylinders.

Catfish
10-30-2022, 08:08 PM
No but I don’t think his brain is firing on all cylinders.

LOL

Goldendawg
10-30-2022, 08:28 PM
Having an easy schedule helps with that. Some their best players are the ones either inherited or recruited like Mingo and Watkins.

Doing that year in and year out I'm not sold that it's going to work out any better than when we had about that many JUCO's. Sure we might get a 1999 but we also might get a 2001 season.

Yeah, I remember an article from the old paper "Dawg's Bite" during that season we brought in about 20 JC players, (partly due to the fact no HS players would sign with us due to the NCAA/OM investigation and probable probation). One of the JC starting DB's was quoted that he knew we were in trouble when he looked around the locker room and didn't know any of his teammates names. The next year only 2 of those guys were still starting, a DB from Batesville and a DT. That was a disaster and Jackie deserved better. We also had more over the hill ex-HC's as assistants than anyone in the nation, same deal has getting HS players. Tough time. We had 12 season tickets and by end of those seasons, on one would go but my late Superdawg Dad, my oldest sister, and me. Hail State!

Todd4State
10-30-2022, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I remember an article from the old paper "Dawg's Bite" during that season we brought in about 20 JC players, (partly due to the fact no HS players would sign with us due to the NCAA/OM investigation and probable probation). One of the JC starting DB's was quoted that he knew we were in trouble when he looked around the locker room and didn't know any of his teammates names. The next year only 2 of those guys were still starting, a DB from Batesville and a DT. That was a disaster and Jackie deserved better. We also had more over the hill ex-HC's as assistants than anyone in the nation, same deal has getting HS players. Tough time. We had 12 season tickets and by end of those seasons, on one would go but my late Superdawg Dad, my oldest sister, and me. Hail State!

Here's what would worry me if I was an Ole Miss fan. Kiffin has a history of taking recruits and players with him to his next stop. If that happens and they don't have a good core group of players that they recruited form high school- they could be in for a major rebuild.

TheLostDawg
10-31-2022, 07:17 AM
Here's what would worry me if I was an Ole Miss fan. Kiffin has a history of taking recruits and players with him to his next stop. If that happens and they don't have a good core group of players that they recruited form high school- they could be in for a major rebuild.

Our luck, Kiffen takes them with him. We fire leach, lose our recruits, make a lesser hire than them and instead of capitalizing, we miss our chance to take the step forward again.

Having a total rebuild when they hired kiffen has put us firmly behind them at this point. Won't know how far until the season finishes but no doubt they are ahead with recruiting, etc.

TNDawg35
10-31-2022, 08:10 AM
Our luck, Kiffen takes them with him. We fire leach, lose our recruits, make a lesser hire than them and instead of capitalizing, we miss our chance to take the step forward again.

Having a total rebuild when they hired kiffen has put us firmly behind them at this point. Won't know how far until the season finishes but no doubt they are ahead with recruiting, etc.

A rebuild ain’t what it used to be and people got to quit thinking it is. You can literally open the checkbook and rebuild in an off season with the portal now. (Not saying we would, just saying it can be done)

Todd4State
10-31-2022, 08:21 AM

That's why if we're smart we'll keep Leach for now at least. We didn't fire Dan for losing to 9-10 win Ole Miss teams in 2014-2015 so I don't think we should now if the same thing happens again.

Todd4State
10-31-2022, 08:26 AM
A rebuild ain’t what it used to be and people got to quit thinking it is. You can literally open the checkbook and rebuild in an off season with the portal now. (Not saying we would, just saying it can be done)

It "can be done" but there are a lot of moving parts. We should hire another Air Raid OC at the very least to fit personnel so we avoid a 2019 situation.

We have to consider what it would do to recruiting. That's still the primary place most people build their team from.

In our case unless Leach just tanks we're better off just staying with him for now. We can't keep firing coaches because they lose to Kentucky in Lexington.

Catfish
10-31-2022, 08:32 AM
It "can be done" but there are a lot of moving parts. We should hire another Air Raid OC at the very least to fit personnel so we avoid a 2019 situation.

We have to consider what it would do to recruiting. That's still the primary place most people build their team from.

In our case unless Leach just tanks we're better off just staying with him for now. We can't keep firing coaches because they lose to Kentucky in Lexington.

Right now we're waiting on this Cohen move to be resolved. So many tangents can occur from this.

WhiskeyPirate
10-31-2022, 08:39 AM

Oh I don’t know, you know historically we can’t just settle for 7-5, that was Dans average 7.1 and 4-9, but it’s just not acceptable.

Think what Billy Napier could be doing , with our financial resources, I’d say he’d have us at least 4-8 every year with 3-9 once in a while. The way he uses Richardson at Florida is just incredible, he’d pack stadiums.

Todd4State
10-31-2022, 09:16 AM
Right now we're waiting on this Cohen move to be resolved. So many tangents can occur from this.

Absolutely. And I highly suspect if anything it will buy all of our coaches at least one season if he leaves. Good or bad.

Todd4State
10-31-2022, 09:19 AM
Oh I don’t know, you know historically we can’t just settle for 7-5, that was Dans average 7.1 and 4-9, but it’s just not acceptable.

Think what Billy Napier could be doing , with our financial resources, I’d say he’d have us at least 4-8 every year with 3-9 once in a while. The way he uses Richardson at Florida is just incredible, he’d pack stadiums.

I won't judge him on one year which is his first season. He's actually following what he did at ULL. 7-7 his first year there. We'll see if they make a huge jump next year.

I think most of our fans were interested in him because he runs what Dan did or something similar but can recruit better.

Cooterpoot
10-31-2022, 09:44 AM
I'm telling you, if Leach loses this week and doesn't beat anyone but ETSU, he's gone. His AD is gone and the fans would turn over on him in a big way. He's got to at least split those two games or it's over for him.
I do believe we'll win this week.

Johnson85
10-31-2022, 10:07 AM
I won't judge him on one year which is his first season. He's actually following what he did at ULL. 7-7 his first year there. We'll see if they make a huge jump next year.

I think most of our fans were interested in him because he runs what Dan did or something similar but can recruit better.

I think he will be fine if the boosters give him some breathing room. I'm just not sure they will. They keep getting a taste of success with each of their last few coaches before promtly tiring of them, so I don't think they will accept anything but Urban II at this point. The one thing I think he has over Dan is he is not to the point that he's not willing to grovel. That weird ass letter he wrote was I think a bad idea, but between being an arrogant ass hole that is annoyed with boosters or being overly deferential to them, the latter is probably better at Florida as long as he doesn't let it infect how he actually handles the team. So that may buy him enough time to get rolling. I still think they're going to fire him because rolling is probably going to be 9-10 wins a year now that UT, UGA, and LSU have pulses and UK is not a push over. But it may keep him from getting fired at the end of next year.

Johnson85
10-31-2022, 10:09 AM
I'm telling you, if Leach loses this week and doesn't beat anyone but ETSU, he's gone. His AD is gone and the fans would turn over on him in a big way. He's got to at least split those two games or it's over for him.
I do believe we'll win this week.

If Leach goes 1-3, I could see him leaving rather than dealing with the shit coming his way. I don't think a new AD comes in and immediately fires him unless he has a coach in mind that he feels good about. Letting Leach have one more year basically extends the AD's potential termination date by another year if he makes a bad hire.

ETA: I'm expecting to go 2-2 with wins v. auburn and ETSU. If we look competitive against UGA and UM, that will be plenty to keep him safe and secure, even if fans bitch about the egg bowl loss.

Desoto1967
10-31-2022, 10:59 AM
Who is Bracky Brett?

BeardoMSU
10-31-2022, 11:08 AM
According to Ross Dellenger, its a done deal.

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1587110413304565768?s=20&t=ZER93fQkueohtD86RR3aTg

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1587110413304565768?s=20&t=ZER93fQkueohtD86RR3aTg

Offshore Dawg
10-31-2022, 11:14 AM
Well that is just it, you expect the dawgs to open the checkbook.