PDA

View Full Version : Not a huge MLB fan but.....

State82
10-28-2022, 11:08 PM
This has been a jam up Game 1. Astros go up 5-0 and now it's 6-5 Phillies in the top of the 10th.

SilentSteel16
10-28-2022, 11:41 PM
Going to be a great series, a really talented team versus a really hot streaking team. We will see. Go ‘Stros,

Tater
10-28-2022, 11:44 PM
Horrible management to give the green light on 3-0 after 7 straight balls. To a .067 postseason guy.

Shit like that keeps Dusty from ever getting a ring.

parabrave
10-28-2022, 11:58 PM
And that was a great throw to try to get Atuve out at 2nd.

State82
10-29-2022, 12:07 AM
Horrible management to give the green light on 3-0 after 7 straight balls. To a .067 postseason guy.

That was a head scratcher

Commercecomet24
10-29-2022, 12:10 AM

100%! Just didn't make any sense at all! Insane!

ETA very few hitters should get green light 3-0. Even if you get to 3-1
You're still in drivers seat. Bad baseball by dusty

Tater
10-29-2022, 12:10 AM
That was a head scratcher

When you realize the last time a team blew a 5 run lead in the World Series was 2002 by the Giants and they were managed by Dusty Baker... it makes more sense.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2022, 12:13 AM
When you realize the last time a team blew a 5 run lead in the World Series was 2002 by the Giants and they were managed by Dusty Baker... it makes more sense.

Haha yep!

BeardoMSU
10-29-2022, 12:14 AM
And that was a great throw to try to get Atuve out at 2nd.

**** yeah it was. The camera technology and clearly the umps at this level are something I wish we had at the college level, lol.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2022, 12:19 AM
**** yeah it was. The camera technology and clearly the umps at this level are something I wish we had at the college level, lol.

MLB umps for the most part are pretty dang good and replay has shown them to be right a large portion of the time on the bang bang plays. I to wish we had that level of umpiring at the college level. It's like night and day difference

BeardoMSU
10-29-2022, 12:36 AM
It's like night and day difference

For sure. As bad as we bitch about football and basketball, I think baseball is even more nuanced in terms of officiating, and the college level is horrid in that regard.

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 12:44 AM
X

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 12:46 AM
I picked the Phillies before the playoffs started. They are on fire. That lineup they have is a murderers row. Interesting , they have their table setters at the bottom of the lineup and five power guys at the top of their lineup. To start the year their bullpen was garbage, but now with a few additions it’s an asset.

Realmuto is the best catcher in baseball. Interesting, he was a shortstop who was filling at catcher in high school and a scout for the Marlins spotted him.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2022, 12:49 AM
For sure. As bad as we bitch about football and basketball, I think baseball is even more nuanced in terms of officiating, and the college level is horrid in that regard.

You got that right!

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 01:10 AM
Thomson is proving to be a good manager, Gerardi had the Phillies going no where. I though starting Nola tonight instead of their ace Wheeler was a mistake, I was wrong. Now they have Wheeler for tomorrow up 1-0.

Todd4State
10-29-2022, 01:51 AM
MLB umps for the most part are pretty dang good and replay has shown them to be right a large portion of the time on the bang bang plays. I to wish we had that level of umpiring at the college level. It's like night and day difference

It's really unbelievable the difference. I watch a MLB game and very rarely do I question a call. In college you never know what you're going to get. Just very inconsistent.

msstate7
10-29-2022, 08:12 AM

Didn't watch. Who was the batter? .067 in a SSS doesn't mean much to me if the player is a good hitter

Tater
10-29-2022, 09:19 AM
Didn't watch. Who was the batter? .067 in a SSS doesn't mean much to me if the player is a good hitter

Diaz. It was a pinch hit situation.

In that scenario I'd have to think twice about giving Barry Bonds the green light. Let alone a guy who just came in the game to pinch hit.

State82
10-29-2022, 10:58 AM
The camera technology and clearly the umps at this level are something I wish we had at the college level, lol.

Video replay on that was outstanding

AFDawg
10-29-2022, 11:35 AM
We're talking about the Fightins.

msstate7
10-29-2022, 12:06 PM
Diaz. It was a pinch hit situation.

In that scenario I'd have to think twice about giving Barry Bonds the green light. Let alone a guy who just came in the game to pinch hit.

Yeah, not sure about a PH. The braves won a WS last year being aggressive like that though. Snit gives green lights on 3-0 to almost everyone; I like this 90% of the time.

Tater
10-29-2022, 12:44 PM
Yeah, not sure about a PH. The braves won a WS last year being aggressive like that though. Snit gives green lights on 3-0 to almost everyone; I like this 90% of the time.

Runners on 2nd / 3rd. Down 1. 2 outs in the 10th. Other pitcher has just walked the previous guy and thrown a wild pitch in my at bat while also barely missing hitting me once and then another pitch that was leaned into but still called a ball...

Yea no. That's the reddest of lights. I might tie the game on the next pitch just cause the ball gets away from the catcher. Horrible decision.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2022, 12:51 PM
Runners on 2nd / 3rd. Down 1. 2 outs in the 10th. Other pitcher has just walked the previous guy and thrown a wild pitch in my at bat while also barely missing hitting me once and then another pitch that was leaned into but still called a ball...

Yea no. That's the reddest of lights. I might tie the game on the next pitch just cause the ball gets away from the catcher. Horrible decision.

Agreed. Pressures all on the pitcher at that point why let him off the hook?

msstate7
10-29-2022, 12:57 PM
Agreed. Pressures all on the pitcher at that point why let him off the hook?

With all that pressure, he may grove a 3-0 pitch. I can see both sides of the argument.

Did the hitter make good contact on the pitch?

Tater
10-29-2022, 12:59 PM
With all that pressure, he may grove a 3-0 pitch. I can see both sides of the argument.

It was a curve low and away out the zone that he missed. He swung at 3-1 and hit a soft grounder to 3rd to end the game.

Like he wasn't even sitting fastball.

msstate7
10-29-2022, 01:03 PM
Just looked at the hitters...

Diaz vs rhp: .779 ops
(On deck) McCormick vs rhp: .689 ops

Really bad hitter vs rhp on deck probably figured in to that decision

msstate7
10-29-2022, 01:04 PM
It was a curve low and away out the zone that he missed. He swung at 3-1 and hit a soft grounder to 3rd to end the game.

That's the type 3-0 swing that would set me off if he were a brave. If you swing 3-0, gotta make sure it's in about a square foot area you want it

Tater
10-29-2022, 01:05 PM
Just looked at the hitters...

Diaz vs rhp: .779 ops
(On deck) McCormick vs rhp: .689 ops

Really bad hitter vs rhp on deck probably figured in to that decision

It shouldn't. The odds you score on a walk, hit by pitch, or another wild pitch through Diaz and McCormick's at bats even if you don't swing at all was higher than if either swinged imo.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2022, 01:27 PM

He swung and missed a braking ball

Commercecomet24
10-29-2022, 01:28 PM

And this is the reason he should've been taking. It was the wrong decision. Keep the pressure on the pitcher.

msstate7
10-29-2022, 01:39 PM
And this is the reason he should've been taking. It was the wrong decision. Keep the pressure on the pitcher.

I consider the Astros one of (if not) the smartest organizations in the game. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. You don't win at the clip they have the last half decade without being very well run. It was game 1, and if he got a hit, it was brilliant. He didn't, and they're still gonna win this series imo

Tater
10-29-2022, 01:59 PM
I consider the Astros one of (if not) the smartest organizations in the game. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. You don't win at the clip they have the last half decade without being very well run. It was game 1, and if he got a hit, it was brilliant. He didn't, and they're still gonna win this series imo

Dusty Baker does not get the benefit of the doubt in the postseason.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2022, 02:02 PM

We're just gonna have to disagree. It may just be one game but it's the World Series not a regular season game. This isn't little league and you don't get 3-0 fastballs with a runners on second and third and 2 out. The pitcher wasn't gonna give in he was trying to make him chase( and he did twice) and if he walked him he starts the next hitter fresh. Throw out all the freaking analytics there's a feel and a rhythm in a game. Heck I knew he wasn't gonna get a fastball. Was a dumb decision

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 02:10 PM
Thomson is out managing him by a mile. They’ve still got Wheeler and are up 1-0

msstate7
10-29-2022, 02:11 PM
Thomson is out managing him by a mile. They?ve still got Wheeler and are up 1-0

Astros a solid favorite tonight vs wheeler. If I were betting, it would be Houston. Valdez is a stud himself

Commercecomet24
10-29-2022, 02:12 PM
Most surprising thing to me was verlander blowing a 5 run lead. That guy has been money his whole career. Happens to the best.

Commercecomet24
Astros a solid favorite tonight vs wheeler. If I were betting, it would be Houston. Valdez is a stud himself

Yeah Astros pitching is DEEP

msstate7
Most surprising thing to me was verlander blowing a 5 run lead. That guy has been money his whole career. Happens to the best.

Old

Commercecomet24
10-29-2022, 02:17 PM
Old

Lol I feel his pain! I can't throw but about a 150 bp pitches in a day anymore

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 02:18 PM
Wheeler is the Phillies ace and I’ll take the Dusty factor here to go up 2-0

msstate7
10-29-2022, 02:19 PM
Lol I feel his pain! I can't throw but about a 150 bp pitches in a day anymore

He's still a stud. I wish he were a brave, but he's getting tired late in the season, and I think that's age... probably multiplied bc he missed last season. Age gets everyone... even your boy, brady

msstate7
10-29-2022, 02:21 PM
Wheeler is the Phillies ace and I?ll take the Dusty factor here to go up 2-0

Wheeler is a BA. He's one of my favorite non-brave players. I just think the Astros respond tonight behind a guy most people don't know that's really good, Valdez

Commercecomet24
10-29-2022, 02:25 PM
He's still a stud. I wish he were a brave, but he's getting tired late in the season, and I think that's age... probably multiplied bc he missed last season. Age gets everyone... even your boy, brady

Truth! Sucks watching these great players get old but it happens. I remember watching willie Mays at the end of his career and he was just a shell of himself. Was hard to watch him misplay balls and miss dead read fast balls he used to crush. Hopefully most retire while they're still respectable. Chippers a good example

Commercecomet24
10-29-2022, 02:26 PM
Wheeler is a BA. He's one of my favorite non-brave players. I just think the Astros respond tonight behind a guy most people don't know that's really good, Valdez

Valdez is absolutely filthy. Some of the best stuff in mlb most people don't know about

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 02:26 PM
Phillies are just hotter than hell. If they win tonight I’d say this thing is about over. If they head back to Philly up 2-0 you aren’t going to stop them. That lineup is a murderers row right now.

msstate7
10-29-2022, 02:28 PM
Phillies are just hotter than hell. If they win tonight I’d say this thing is about over. If they head back to Philly up 2-0 you aren’t going to stop them. That lineup is a murderers row right now.

Last night was the first time the Astros have lost in the playoffs. They hot too... hell, they finished the season taking 2 of 3 from the Phillies

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 02:35 PM
This is what The Phillies have been doing, split on the road and come back and win at home. Astros are in a hole, if they lose tonight it’s a really deep hole.

msstate7
10-29-2022, 02:39 PM
This is what The Phillies have been doing, split on the road and come back and win at home. Astros are in a hole, if they lose tonight it’s a really deep hole.

Obviously, but if the Astros win tonight, the Phillies don't have wheeler and Nola in Philly until at least game 5.

I predict Valdez and Alvarez get the Astros the win they need tonight

Commercecomet24
10-29-2022, 02:46 PM
Obviously, but if the Astros win tonight, the Phillies don't have wheeler and Nola in Philly until at least game 5.

Yeah pitching favors Astros. After Nola and Wheeler, the matchups of starting pitchers favors the Astros. Astros really need to win tonight though. Should be a pitchers duel but I thought last night would be too.

WhiskeyPirate
10-29-2022, 02:47 PM

Phillies at home are a whole different animal

msstate7
10-29-2022, 03:10 PM
Astros road record 51-30 (.630)
Phillies at home 47-34 (.580)

Not that it matters at this point...

DawgFan85
10-29-2022, 04:14 PM
Astros will always be cheaters in my mind so I can't root for them. Be like pulling for Ole Miss or Auburn!

SilentSteel16
10-29-2022, 08:15 PM
Astros will always be cheaters in my mind so I can't root for them. Be like pulling for Ole Miss or Auburn!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but that is a crutch my man. Go Astros. You are fooling yourself if you think what the Astros did years ago was an isolated incident.

Todd4State
10-29-2022, 08:19 PM
Truth! Sucks watching these great players get old but it happens. I remember watching willie Mays at the end of his career and he was just a shell of himself. Was hard to watch him misplay balls and miss dead read fast balls he used to crush. Hopefully most retire while they're still respectable. Chippers a good example

If I played in MLB I would have gotten out at age 36 unless:

1. I wanted to win a championship because I never had won one before.

2. I was close to some historic milestone. Like I wouldn't retire with home run 499 or something like that. I'd be fine being a pinch hitter for a year to accomplish that.

3. I really needed money because my wife blew all of my millions.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2022, 08:19 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but that is a crutch my man. Go Astros. You are fooling yourself if you think what the Astros did years ago was an isolated incident.

Lol yeah that stuffs been going on since baseball started. Astros just got caught and mlb sent a message by hammering them and it curtailed, well at least for a little while in mlb

Commercecomet24
10-29-2022, 08:20 PM
If I played in MLB I would have gotten out at age 36 unless:

1. I wanted to win a championship because I never had won one before.

2. I was close to some historic milestone. Like I wouldn't retire with home run 499 or something like that. I'd be fine being a pinch hitter for a year to accomplish that.

3. I really needed money because my wife blew all of my millions.

Excellent points

msstate7
10-31-2022, 07:20 AM
Check this out... blue was outstaying Saturday night - called every pitch correctly...

https://i.postimg.cc/GtNtmHTx/F75-C6302-AA6-F-4-B16-90-B9-661-CC8280754.jpg (https://postimg.cc/bSxp6YTZ)

Commercecomet24
10-31-2022, 09:12 AM
Check this out... blue was outstaying Saturday night - called every pitch correctly...

https://i.postimg.cc/GtNtmHTx/F75-C6302-AA6-F-4-B16-90-B9-661-CC8280754.jpg (https://postimg.cc/bSxp6YTZ)

I saw that. Man its hard to be 100% on balls/strikes but what a great job he did and on the biggest stage too.

SilentSteel16
10-31-2022, 10:55 AM
Especially considering Valdez is a high spin rate guy.

WhiskeyPirate
10-31-2022, 07:29 PM
World Series rained out. This favors the Phillies as their pitchers get an extra days rest and the Astros have a deeper staff.

WhiskeyPirate
11-01-2022, 07:43 PM
3-0 Philly in the second, Bohm with a dinger. I knew they would jump all over McCullers.

SilentSteel16
11-02-2022, 11:03 AM
Old saying… something about counting chickens….Philly thinks they have a whole roost full.

WhiskeyPirate
11-02-2022, 01:47 PM
Old saying… something about counting chickens….Philly thinks they have a whole roost full.

They’ve got a couple roosts full. I can’t recall a bigger home field advantage than what Philly has right now.

SilentSteel16
11-07-2022, 09:25 AM
I think one of your chickens got out