PDA

View Full Version : What are you feelings about Lemonis future at MSU?

CaptainObvious
10-27-2022, 04:28 PM
In 2021 State won the National Championship with an expanded Covid Roster, then fell flat with a losing record and no postseason in 2022.

The Bears won the 2022 National Championship with Covid holdovers as well with several draft eligible seniors returning for their run.

Soooo. Let?s say Bianco follows up his Championship Season with another good year making post season and possible a Super Regional.

What must Lemonis do comparatively to keep his seat from becoming combustible?

1) Winning Season
2) SEC Tourney
3) Regional somewhere
4) Super Regional
5) Omaha

Johnson85
10-27-2022, 04:31 PM
In 2021 State won the National Championship with an expanded Covid Roster, then fell flat with a losing record and no postseason in 2022.

The Bears won the 2022 National Championship with Covid holdovers as well with several draft eligible seniors returning for their run.

Soooo. Let?s say Bianco follows up his Championship Season with another good year making post season and possible a Super Regional.

1) Winning Season
2) SEC Tourney
3) Regional somewhere
4) Super Regional
5) Omaha

I think a 2 seed with enough young players playing that it looks obvious 2024 will be better. People may not be thrilled with it, but that keeps his seat from getting warm.

EdwardDrayton
10-27-2022, 05:17 PM
Well, let’s see, we have four data points:

2019 W-L 52-15 CWS appearance in first year. Set record for most wins by a first-year SEC coach.
2020 W-L 12-4 before Covid shortened season
2021 W-L 50-18 CWS national championship; school’s first ever NC
2022 W-L 26-30 Overall W-L 140-67

What is the question again exactly?!!?

Hambone
10-27-2022, 05:29 PM
You know you’re on a Mississippi State message board when you start asking about what the coach that’s literally won the only National championship in this schools history has to do to keep us happy

Catfish
10-27-2022, 06:25 PM
You know you’re on a Mississippi State message board when you start asking about what the coach that’s literally won the only National championship in this schools history has to do to keep us happy

Agreed!!

BuckyIsAB****
10-27-2022, 06:47 PM
No reason we should not be in a regional

AlSwearengen
10-27-2022, 06:49 PM
This is silly. I won?t go over what happened last year with injuries and holes in the lineup as we have done it over and over. I don?t see this year being a big year and I?ll be ecstatic if we can get to a SR.

If you need something to make yourself feel better about Lemonis, go look at the recruiting rankings for 2023 and beyond. I knew we were doing well, but had no idea ?23,?24, and ?25 were all rated in the top 3 at this point. We just picked up a ?25 kid named Fernandez from just north of Miami, a big 3B that can apparently swing it pretty well. I don?t know for sure, but I imagine he could have gone to at least one of Miami, FSU, or Florida but we got him. There are several just like him that are committed.

I think we have another year or 2 of scuffling a little bit, but our talent should make a significant jump after that.

BeardoMSU
10-27-2022, 06:49 PM

While also judging him on the success of OM, lol.

CaptainObvious
10-27-2022, 06:55 PM

Having a team win a National Championship isn?t exclusive to MSU any more. Busting his ass on the way back down one year later could become an exclusive trait if our hated rivals have success the next year after their championship. Especially, if year 2 after NC season is also a failure like last year. And make no mistake, last year was a colossal failure. The momentum gained from that NC didn?t seem to hold. Hopefully, the Dawgs will bounce back this coming spring and reach some attainable goals.

CaptainObvious
10-27-2022, 06:59 PM
This is silly. I won?t go over what happened last year with injuries and holes in the lineup as we have done it over and over. I don?t see this year being a big year and I?ll be ecstatic if we can get to a SR.

If you need something to make yourself feel better about Lemonis, go look at the recruiting rankings for 2023 and beyond. I knew we were doing well, but had no idea ?23,?24, and ?25 were all rated in the top 3 at this point. We just picked up a ?25 kid named Fernandez from just north of Miami, a big 3B that can apparently swing it pretty well. I don?t know for sure, but I imagine he could have gone to at least one of Miami, FSU, or Florida but we got him. There are several just like him that are committed.

I think we have another year or 2 of scuffling a little bit, but our talent should make a significant jump after that.

Scuffling a little bit? Does that mean more suckage like last year or a modicum of success like at least a 2 seed in a Regional.

Cooterpoot
10-27-2022, 07:21 PM
This is a stupid thread.

Catfish
10-27-2022, 07:23 PM
This is a stupid thread.

Thank you.

PikeDawg15
10-27-2022, 07:25 PM

Baseball blue bloods

Ahhhh, feels good.

ImissCityBagel
10-27-2022, 07:26 PM
He's not going anywhere, especially since he's "Cohen's guy". That said, if we don't make the supers every year, fans are going to want him gone.

Coach34
10-27-2022, 07:26 PM
We should be a solid baseball team this Spring. Not really worried about him as much as the pitching coach

Mjoelner34
10-27-2022, 08:30 PM
We should be a solid baseball team this Spring. Not really worried about him as much as the pitching coach

+1

Todd4State
10-28-2022, 12:44 AM
I feel as good about Lemonis as I ever have.

This is going to start to become more and more his team now. In hindsight we should have hit the portal harder for LHP and we shouldn't have been nice to some guys recruited by previous staffs by allowing them to stay on only to essentially cut them anyway.

My personal minimum goal for our baseball program is a Super Regional. Anything less than that is unacceptable.

The CWS has essentially become the SEC Tournament- really has been that was since at least 2017. Expect to see at least one if not two SEC teams in the finals from here on out. The SEC has become a monster in baseball and you're going to see a lot of SEC teams winning National Championships. That includes MSU. Now that we have broken through the glass ceiling, I think we'll start to win some more as time goes on. Of course other SEC teams are going to win National Championships too as well. I'm proud that MSU baseball led the way for the league to become what it is. Recently since 2017 we've seen MSU, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, and Florida win championships and we've seen LSU and Arkansas in the finals. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tennessee, Auburn, Texas A&M, and maybe even Alabama make the finals in the near future if not win titles of their own. The SEC is just full of teams with either mega support- MSU, LSU, Arkansas- or teams in major baseball hot beds- Georgia, Texas A&M, and Florida.

Todd4State
10-28-2022, 12:46 AM

Foxhall is coaching for his job this year. If the same things happen again I can't see us keeping him.

We don't have an ace so he's going to have to earn it with his bullpen moves.

Todd4State
10-28-2022, 12:47 AM

1) Winning Season
2) SEC Tourney
3) Regional somewhere
4) Super Regional
5) Omaha

The only way Lemonis's seat gets warm is with another losing season. I think if that happens he will get rid of the assistants and go from there. I don't think it will come to that.

ArrowDawg
10-28-2022, 11:33 AM

Yeah, THIS. I've never been fully on board with Foxhall. I personally think we can do a lot better.

As for Lemonis, his first few seasons, the natty, and the way he's recruiting all give him a lot of cushion for the foreseeable future. That doesn't mean he isn't open to criticism, and results still matter. If he has a couple more seasons like last year, he shouldn't keep getting a pass. In no way do I think that's going to happen, though. He knows what our expectations are at MSU, and I believe he will meet the challenge. I just hope he holds his own staff accountable, mainly Foxhall.

OM winning a title only one year after we did puts more pressure on us, IMO. It took us decades of blood, sweat, and tears to finally break through. We were nationally relevant long before OM fans knew they even had a team. I think we're partially to blame for it happening, too. We need to make sure we re-establish our dominance, because to the outside world they're the same as we are now. Unacceptable.