PDA

View Full Version : Operational Risk Management and Mississippi State Football

coachnorm
10-26-2022, 02:08 PM
Operational Risk Management and Mississippi State Football

Because of my past employment with the US Navy F/A-18 Legacy Program I had to get trained on ORM. Because of this mandatory training as fill in supervisor, I know ORM is incorporated in the military. ORM is implemented in business, medical management, and sports management also.

I will keep this aspect, of this statement, as brief as possible. Three concepts (1) I.D. the risk, (2) assessment of risk, (3) risk mitigation. Whenever an organizational risk occurs, an assigned team forms a corrective action plan after its investigation.

I would like to discuss the Kentucky game primarily and add LSU. Under the guise of ORM an investigation team would be convened to identify what happened, this is similar to a plane crash. Risky management would be investigated. At the high school level of football, most coaching staff members will have a practice plan and assignment sheet. An SEC program will have what most high schools have on the practice field. ORM would compare the practice plans and specifics of 2021 win versus 2022 loss. If the two are dissimilar, annotations will be made to the audit report.

The investigative authority will establish why the 2021 and 2022 preparations are different and what was the justification for it. The investigative authority would review the practice video to get a clear understanding of the game preparations. If swing passes and check downs eat up too much time it will be noted on the audit report. The manager will be directed to justify this, in writing, to the investigative authority.

If scheme compliance is the justification, the investigative authority will ask the value of compliance if the opposition and the football community, even most high schools, have access and video documentation on the scheme. Also, a self-scout document will be asked to be presented to the auditors. The self-scout doc will clearly show what has been successful and its failures. If the self-scout doc data exposes that failed content has been emphasized, this goes into the audit report. BTW, a self-scout doc is your opponent's scouting report. This proves defective preparation by the head coach who has publicly stated that the team practiced poorly that week?

If scheme compliance is paramount to the organization, it needs to be investigated. Does the leadership only know its scheme and nothing else? Does the leadership know that opposition knows the scheme? If leadership has not factored in the fact that the Air Raid is well known, the auditors need a written doc from leadership justifying this lack of knowledge.

A scheme is a business plan and the auditors need to compare the business plan of 2022 to 2010 and see if the business is stagnated. If the plan has not been revised, the auditors need a written reason why. Similar business plans should be compared to the current Miss. St. plan. Are they are revised, sometimes bastardized, Air Raid businesses. Revision is sometimes seen as heresy in some mindsets. CML disciples are out producing him?

A growing discussion in football, at all levels, is the increase in pass interference and holding in the secondary. This means that all teams need to know the numbers which simply means who is generating this kind of offense production. Talking 50-50 balls and practicing 50-50 balls is two different things. The auditors need to find out if leadership has this important data. If leadership does not have the accurate data, or is indifferent to it, that has to be added to the audit. If leadership does have that data, a written doc should be presented justifying play calling that generates no penalty offense when others are feasting in match-up non scheme passing.

Penalty yardage is no mistake, it is generated with modern day techniques and receiver domination over defenders. The auditors need to discover if Miss. St. leadership understands the modern-day match-up principles causing this evolution. If leadership understand the principles but fails to incorporate them, this needs to go into the audit. Now a days receivers are winning the ball while being interfered with any ways. This is non schematic offense being generated on a large scale.

If we get blown up for 2-yard gains on swing passes on a consistent basis this means that our opposition has out prepared us to get to that point. To me, a swing pass on a CML coached team is about as threatening as a quarterback sneak because they are both evolved 2-yard plays. Does CML have that data? If not, this has to go into the audit.

Enough said, after a damage assessment report is generated by the auditors, a corrective action plan follows? This is an example of Operational Risk Management.

parabrave
10-26-2022, 06:01 PM
Hey Norm here is some real life Operational Risk Management.

https://youtu.be/XwjHsLvRpK0

BTW I met the guy. He said the scene was very accurate.

WhiskeyPirate
10-26-2022, 07:58 PM
Norm, you are kind of a details guy