PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Egg Bowl memory?

Coach34
11-26-2013, 01:52 PM
As I am moving into the part of life called "Middle Age", I, of course, have many Egg Bowl memories....being young and listening to them on the radio every year (my Dad always went hunting that weekend) until finally in 1980- at the age of 11- attending my 1st one. State won it 19-14 capping off a tremendous 9-2 season.

There was the Dick Pace cheating game of 1981
The beatdown of Ole Miss in 1982.
The midfield brawl of 1987 (I think it was 87)
Closing the deal finally with my 1st college GF instead of going to the game in the terrible weather of 1988 (Rebs werent the only ones doing the hammering that day)
The Return to Campus in 1991- and I was a student then. Good times. Big win for us and lots of optimism
The terrible sleet and goalline stand vs us in 1992
1995's upset of us in Sville and me putting a cowbell to the chin of a Rebel that got in my face cussing
1996's beatdown of them in the rain- Micheal Davis just ran over them
1997's upset of us when they picked up 4th and 29
1998's West Division clinching championship
1999's pick and kick comeback win
and so on....

The 1999 comeback is still my all-time favorite game. Just a great night to be there and take in everything.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2013, 01:54 PM
As I am moving into the part of life called "Middle Age", I, of course, have many Egg Bowl memories....being young and listening to them on the radio every year (my Dad always went hunting that weekend) until finally in 1980- at the age of 11- attending my 1st one. State won it 19-14 capping off a tremendous 9-2 season.

There was the Dick Pace cheating game of 1981
The beatdown of Ole Miss in 1982.
The midfield brawl of 1987 (I think it was 87)
Closing the deal finally with my 1st college GF instead of going to the game in the terrible weather of 1988 (Rebs werent the only ones doing the hammering that day)
The Return to Campus in 1991- and I was a student then. Good times. Big win for us and lots of optimism
The terrible sleet and goalline stand vs us in 1992
1995's upset of us in Sville and me putting a cowbell to the chin of a Rebel that got in my face cussing
1996's beatdown of them in the rain- Micheal Davis just ran over them
1997's upset of us when they picked up 4th and 29
1998's West Division clinching championship
1999's pick and kick comeback win
and so on....

The 1999 comeback is still my all-time favorite game. Just a great night to be there and take in everything.

Pegues' punt return and Ogre's 4th down blunder was pretty fun

Pollodawg
11-26-2013, 01:55 PM
The complete and utter shock of 2007. It took them a awhile to get over that one. The 2010 EB chapped that ass good because it was our first win in Oxford since we clenched the division on their own field. Again, a hell of a memory. They had watch their arch rivals do something they had never done, and in front of their home crowd no less.

SignalToNoise
11-26-2013, 02:03 PM
1999 for me. I was a high school freshmen at very pro OM school so it was fun to gloat after that one.

2009 was savory as well. I really didn't think we had a chance. When Broomfield jumped the out route and toyed with Snead on the way to the end zone I lost my shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_r-iLhh134

LiterallyPolice
11-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Pegues' punt return and Ogre's 4th down blunder was pretty fun

This one came to mind for me as well, because it is one of those cases where a superstition "worked" for me.

I wasn't at the game; I was on the coast watching at a buffalo wild wings with some friends. It was the 4th quarter, we couldn't do anything on offense, I was miserable, and something had to change. So being the completely rational person that I am, I decided that me being at Buffalo Wild Wings was hurting my team. So I said screw it and left while everyone else was still watching. When I got to my house 5 minutes away, I turned on the TV and everything turned around.

As the bud light commercial so elegantly states, "It's only crazy if it doesn't work".

Pokerdawg44
11-26-2013, 02:17 PM
1. 99, Cj is still open
2. 98, we dominated in oxford and we were headed to Atl and tubby was headed to Aub. State fans took over the Stadium chanting Auburn Auburn Auburn
3. 07, the Pegues return
4. 09, Relf not being stopped running the read option

Homedawg
11-26-2013, 02:19 PM
The 2 that stick out the most would be losses- I guess they sting worse than victories feel good- but 1983 I rode a bus to the game as a kid and sat through the tornado warning and their comeback to watch Artie's kick get swatted by the hands of God. Then the 92 game in Oxford, because of that game I'll never go back. Got treated like shit by the 15k people that were there and had to endure it from a 60+ year old father of a friend. The two best wins have to be 99 and the Orgeron screw up. After that game, Walker Jones, (yes archie's other child walker) was walking out beside me(I had met him previously at the neshoba county fair through a mutual friend) headed to do a radio show and I offered him a beer, which he took me up on after his show, all the while cussing Eddie O. That was fun.

HereComesTheSpiral
11-26-2013, 02:27 PM
07 punt return and Jamar almost decapitating Hodge was icing on the cake.

Perkins little bubble screen in 10 that went to the goalline thanks to a Clark block.

Let's just say my favorite memories of rebels getting the shit knocked out of them

Maroonthirteen
11-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Obviously, the comeback.

A close 2nd was 1991. Good times on campus. We had our way with them that day. I saw William Prince after the game in the grocery store. I said, you trucked that DB on your touchdown run. He said mattter of factly, he got in my way. Good times that night at College Station Apts.

2001 was pretty fun being underdogs.

quickstrike2
11-26-2013, 02:32 PM
1999 stands out to me. My first egg bowl victory with me in attendance. Being a young teen at the time, I don't know if any game will ever be as exciting as that one to me and the rush of storming the field.

It_Could_Happen
11-26-2013, 02:52 PM
99 and 09 are probably my favorite.

RC3
11-26-2013, 02:54 PM
1999 for me. I was a high school freshmen at very pro OM school so it was fun to gloat after that one.

2009 was savory as well. I really didn't think we had a chance. When Broomfield jumped the out route and toyed with Snead on the way to the end zone I lost my shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_r-iLhh134

i make an appearance at the :35 second mark there in this video

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
11-26-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm not to middle age yet, so I don't have as many memories.
07 was great - the Pegues punt return and Carlson's one good kick of his career. I was a student and that's one student section whiskey/coke shower that I thoroughly enjoyed.
09 may have been even better - just because they were so overconfident and we completely dominated the second half. The Broomfield pick 6, Relf gashing them on the same play over and over, McCluster getting lit up (can't remember which of our DB's), and the Bumphis TD on 4th down where Relf quite possibly was trying to throw to someone else. Those are all engrained in my memory.

bully99
11-26-2013, 03:41 PM
Are you the fat white guy in the white shirt with the white Cowbell?

FlabLoser
11-26-2013, 04:01 PM
The '99 Egg Bowl was a downright ugly & frustrating game right up until the magic happened at the end of the game. But that '99 finish was the wildest and most exciting thing I've ever seen in an Egg Bowl. I rushed the field like everybody else. I took home a plug of endzone turf which I kept in a cup on my desk for the next 15 years.

That endzone pug never turned color. Stayed green 15 damn years. Maybe it was painted.

My mother in law was run over on the football field by Bully's doghouse on wheels which somebody was probably stealing.