PDA

View Full Version : Serious question on Leach

Cowbell
10-23-2022, 08:06 AM
Guys - the evidence is out there - we have not beat anyone good this year yet and this is the most talented roster we have had in some time. Im not going to debate that as it is being hashed all over this forum. This offensive scheme is not adaptable enough to win consistently in this league and if you want to argue that, we can do it elsewhere.

With that said. What kind of situation is Leach currently in as far as security here. I don't care what you think of him or if you would fire him or not. I want to know what others think the real situation is within the Athletics Department. What would it take for a change? Is leach ready to retire? Etc.

Pinto
10-23-2022, 08:12 AM
Cohen isn?t firing Leach. I don?t want him to either cause Cohen has only made 1 maybe 2 good coaching hires total.

I also think they are tied together. If Leach fails Cohen fails and they are both out. So Cohen is going to fight with him till the end. I think Cohen will be pushing Leach to retire if those rumors are true, just so Cohen can save his own job.

Catfish
10-23-2022, 08:19 AM
Let the season play out. We're 5-3 with four games left. Nothing is going to happen until the season is over. We very well could be 8-4.

Charlie_Sheen420
10-23-2022, 08:25 AM
Guys - the evidence is out there - we have not beat anyone good this year yet and this is the most talented roster we have had in some time. Im not going to debate that as it is being hashed all over this forum. This offensive scheme is not adaptable enough to win consistently in this league and if you want to argue that, we can do it elsewhere.

With that said. What kind of situation is Leach currently in as far as security here. I don't care what you think of him or if you would fire him or not. I want to know what others think the real situation is within the Athletics Department. What would it take for a change? Is leach ready to retire? Etc.
Barring any kind of scandal or mutiny among the team, Leach will be here next year as long as we finish 6-6. There?s still football to be played, so let?s see what happens and judge at the end of the season. My feeling is there?s a much higher chance of Leach deciding to just retire and leave rather than him getting let go at any time in the near future. If we finish 7-5 or 8-4, everyone will be fine unless we look like crap in the bowl game which could happen.

Cowbell
10-23-2022, 08:34 AM
Barring any kind of scandal or mutiny among the team, Leach will be here next year as long as we finish 6-6. There?s still football to be played, so let?s see what happens and judge at the end of the season. My feeling is there?s a much higher chance of Leach deciding to just retire and leave rather than him getting let go at any time in the near future. If we finish 7-5 or 8-4, everyone will be fine unless we look like crap in the bowl game which could happen.

This is my thought as well.

civildawg
10-23-2022, 08:39 AM
I like leach but never wanted to hire him because I wasn?t sure his offense would work in the SEC. I actually was rethinking my stance on him this year after he showed a commitment to run the ball the arky and AM games. THEN HE TURNS RIGHT AROUND THE NEXT WEEK AND ABANDONS WHAT WORKED THE WEEKS BEFORE. I will never understand that game plan against A bad Kentucky team. That shows me he?s not serious about committing to the run to adapt his offense and he?s going to keep trying to shove this gimmick offense down our throats.

PikeDawg15
10-23-2022, 09:07 AM
6-6?

Only beating ETSU the rest of the year?

We are seeing A&M is absolute garbage

We might?ve would?ve lost to Arkansas if KJ played.

If Mike leach goes 6-6 .

From what I?ve heard within the situation is that the boosters are split on leach, 6-6 losing to auburn and ole miss might would push that other 50% to give in.

lastmajordog
10-23-2022, 09:13 AM
I asked this before, no ,matter the rest of the season,........what if CML loses the EB?

Schultzy
10-23-2022, 09:25 AM
I asked this before, no ,matter the rest of the season,........what if CML loses the EB?

I really don’t think that game is make or break for coaches anymore, it’s the body of work. Moorhead was 2-0 and nobody wanted to keep him; I’ll admit it could tip the scales but the rivalry is not as toxic as it was 7-8 years ago.

I even wish when we re-structure the schedules that they would not remain as a permanent but unlikely I’ll get that wish.

Dawgface
10-23-2022, 09:30 AM
Even if we go 6-6 he gets another year. But 4 straight losses to OM will doom him next year.

ImissCityBagel
10-23-2022, 10:56 AM
Honestly, if had a mobile threat at QB that would make the entire offense better.

DownwardDawg
10-23-2022, 11:15 AM
Honestly, if had a mobile threat at QB that would make the entire offense better.

Leach wouldn't allow him to run though. It's not going to change anything.

Cooterpoot
10-23-2022, 11:19 AM
I don't think this is the most talented roster. I think it's the most experienced. And there's a huge difference. Still, good enough to win 8 or 9 games. But Leach has to do more in the portal and rotate players better to get them better. We know this upperclassman bunch has maxed out. Get some new guys on the field at least some.

Cooterpoot
10-23-2022, 11:23 AM

Do you really believe Mike is going to change the scheme he's run for 30 years? I don't. He's not going to scheme for QB runs. We have to hope the QB can extend plays. That's about it.

DownwardDawg
10-23-2022, 11:49 AM
Do you really believe Mike is going to change the scheme he's run for 30 years? I don't. He's not going to scheme for QB runs. We have to hope the QB can extend plays. That's about it.

If we want anything different, then we need to hope for retirement. It was a strange and unexpected hire. It doesn't fit our recruiting base at all but I was hoping it would turn out differently. It didn't.

Todd4State
10-23-2022, 12:44 PM

Any fan expecting massive changes and designed QB runs is going to be very disappointed.

Todd4State
10-23-2022, 12:47 PM

What a bullshit post. That was by far the closest we've played Bama in years and scored our first touchdown there in almost a decade while having four games scoring over 40 points- two in SEC play which for context has only happened one other time at MSU but the offense is the problem and won't work? Laughable.

3rdGen
10-23-2022, 01:55 PM
I think we should ride the Leach train until we can get a Heupel desciple!

R2Dawg
10-23-2022, 02:57 PM
First questionable statement is "a serious question on Leach?

But he is safe this year 6-6 or not. Next year if he loses the EB at home, he is done. Easy schedule next year too.

R2Dawg
10-23-2022, 02:59 PM
I don't think this is the most talented roster. I think it's the most experienced. And there's a huge difference. Still, good enough to win 8 or 9 games. But Leach has to do more in the portal and rotate players better to get them better. We know this upperclassman bunch has maxed out. Get some new guys on the field at least some.

Agree we are not super talented. Other than a couple guys we have no next level talent like we used to have. We've had better talent for 10 of last 12 years. Go back and watch even the 09, 10 teams. We were pretty loaded with NFL talent. Not so much now.

Goldendawg
10-23-2022, 03:24 PM

My thoughts exactly. A year older/more experienced doesn't mean a year better. How many of our players were picked preseason SEC by the other SEC coaches? At this point, how many will make All-SEC, probably Forbes. How many SEC team dread playing us? How many of our opponents circle us as a victory looking at their schedule each season? Playing in the West is tough. I fell for the Leach 3rd year, maroon colored glasses view and I should have known better, but 7-5 with a win over OM or 8-4 changes things. Get it done starting with AU. Winning solves a lot of problems.

PikeDawg15
10-23-2022, 03:36 PM
My thoughts exactly. A year older/more experienced doesn't mean a year better. How many of our players were picked preseason SEC by the other SEC coaches? At this point, how many will make All-SEC, probably Forbes. How many SEC team dread playing us? How many of our opponents circle us as a victory looking at their schedule each season? Playing in the West is tough. I fell for the Leach 3rd year, maroon colored glasses view and I should have known better, but 7-5 with a win over OM or 8-4 changes things. Get it done starting with AU. Winning solves a lot of problems.

YepGolden,

Everything changes with 8-4 and an egg bowl win.

Spirits would improve but it doesn?t look likely .

7-5 and losing 3 straight to those ? People? up north isn?t going to cut it. With a veteran team .

I feel bad for the defense because they have played good enough to be 8-0.

Coach34
10-23-2022, 04:37 PM
What a bullshit post. That was by far the closest we've played Bama in years and scored our first touchdown there in almost a decade while having four games scoring over 40 points- two in SEC play which for context has only happened one other time at MSU but the offense is the problem and won't work? Laughable.

It's really not bullshit. We played within 24 just like last night under Jovester in 2018 and should have beaten them in 2017. The 2020 blowout in T-Town was Leach.

We scored 40 on a young A&M team who is 45th nationally and 40 on the 13th ranked D in the league in UPig who is 120th in the country.

We scored 16 on LSU 5th in the SEC and 35th nationally
We scored 10 on Kentucky who is 2nd in the SEC and 14th nationally
We scored 6 on Bama 3rd in the SEC and 15th nationally

It's pretty clear

Todd4State
10-23-2022, 09:37 PM
It's really not bullshit. We played within 24 just like last night under Jovester in 2018 and should have beaten them in 2017. The 2020 blowout in T-Town was Leach.

We scored 40 on a young A&M team who is 45th nationally and 40 on the 13th ranked D in the league in UPig who is 120th in the country.

It's pretty clear

What stats are you using? A&M is allowing 20 PPG this year and 6th in the SEC is total defense. In fact, we're the only team that has scored 40+ on A&M all year long.

Arkansas- OK so we took care of business. I'm not going to complain about that.

Let's not leave Dan out of this- he started the whole Alabama mental mind17. I believe he lost to Bama like 51-3 or something like that to start this trend.

We struggled against the #2-3 defense on the road. OK. Everyone else has too not named Tennessee that one game who also happens to have a coach under the Leach tree.

Not only that this offense has scored multiple 40+ games in the SEC- LSU on the road in 2020, Auburn on the road last year, and not to mention some solid wins in A&M last year and Kentucky at home last year.

We also scored one point higher than UK's average allowed this year- remember your argument that when the defense intercepts or returns a fumble the team goes on offense? If you're going to use that logic I certainly will too.

yjnkdawg
10-23-2022, 11:51 PM
Let the season play out. We're 5-3 with four games left. Nothing is going to happen until the season is over. We very well could be 8-4.

Some don't want the season to play out. We are doomed according to them now and the season is already over, and arm chair coaches always know more. Just ask them if they do.

yjnkdawg
10-23-2022, 11:54 PM
I like leach but never wanted to hire him because I wasn?t sure his offense would work in the SEC. I actually was rethinking my stance on him this year after he showed a commitment to run the ball the arky and AM games. THEN HE TURNS RIGHT AROUND THE NEXT WEEK AND ABANDONS WHAT WORKED THE WEEKS BEFORE. I will never understand that game plan against A bad Kentucky team. That shows me he?s not serious about committing to the run to adapt his offense and he?s going to keep trying to shove this gimmick offense down our throats.

You do know that Sharp got injured and we had to reshuffle our offensive line, and we had one rb injured and out and another one playing hurt, but that shouldn't have any effect should it?

yjnkdawg
10-24-2022, 12:02 AM

I agree . Haven't been able to post on here in a while, but the same old agenda stuff with some.

CaptainObvious
10-24-2022, 12:09 AM
You do know that Sharp got injured and we had to reshuffle our offensive line, and we had one rb injured and out and another one playing hurt, but that shouldn't have any effect should it?
Well?. No?.. Not Really. It caused us to plug Johnson back in at left tackle. But Losoya came in as a center. And I think he played pretty well.

Remember, Will through 60 passes, completing 30. I counted 4 drops and 7 knocked away. That means there were 19 Miss fires by the QB who has averaged 72% completions. The timing of the drops was devastatingly bad.

NCDawg
10-24-2022, 12:16 AM

And if we had a really fast WR like that Tennessee guy, that would be a big help.

Todd4State
10-24-2022, 12:51 AM
And if we had a really fast WR like that Tennessee guy, that would be a big help.

At this point in a vacuum we have a much bigger need at WR than we do QB. In that we need guys that can catch the ball more consistently.

SilentSteel16
10-24-2022, 12:56 AM

We do Tulu. Only problem is he hasn’t “jacked off an elephant” lately.

That is. Clifford Franklin quote by the way. Ha

yjnkdawg
10-24-2022, 12:07 PM

Jalin Hyatt was a 3* coming out of high school that TN offered but didn't get until he transferred in the portal. In college he became a 4*. I think our main speed is in the younger WR's who haven't had time to learn the system yet.

PGHBulldogBG
10-24-2022, 12:23 PM
Where are Auburn and Ole Miss ranked defensively nationally and in the SEC. It seems like we can really score good a lot against average and bad defenses, but the upper half of the conference defenses are where we struggle. Obviously UGA will be a nightmare, but we can still beat Aub and Ole Miss if their defenses are not that highly ranked

Coach34
10-24-2022, 12:28 PM
Where are Auburn and Ole Miss ranked defensively nationally and in the SEC. It seems like we can really score good a lot against average and bad defenses, but the upper half of the conference defenses are where we struggle. Obviously UGA will be a nightmare, but we can still beat Aub and Ole Miss if their defenses are not that highly ranked

http://cfbstats.com/2022/leader/911/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html

Commercecomet24
10-24-2022, 12:33 PM

Here you go:

Auburn - 81st total defense, 119th run defense, 19th pass defense
om - 55th total defense, 86th run defense, 41st pass defense

These are national rankings.

BrunswickDawg
10-24-2022, 01:15 PM

It's pretty clear

It's been pretty clear for over a decade our offenses struggle with top tier of the SEC defenses:
I'm using Scoring Defense, as IIRCC that is a stat you like:

'10 - 7 pts on #2 LSU, 10 pts on #4 Florida(W), 10 pts on #1 Bama
'11 - 6 pts on #2 LSU, 7 pts on #1 Bama
'12 - 7 pts on #1 Bama, 17 on #2 LSU
'13 - 7 pts on #1 Bama, 16 on #2 USCe - and 3 on #19 nationally OSU
'14 - is the outlier - we had a generational talent at QB, and NFL talent in every position group, still only 17 pts on #1 OM, 20 pts on #3 Bama, 17 pts on #4 Arkansas (W) - did score 34 on #2 LSU (W)
'15 - 6 on #1 Bama, but 31 on #2 Mizzou (W), but on 17 against #11 Auburn (w), and 19 against #10 LSU
'16 - USA says it all
'17 - 3 on #2 UGA and 10 on #3 Auburn. We did have a Mullen era high 24 on #1 Bama, but at the same time could only manage 28 against #14 Arkansas and #13 OM
'18 - I really don't want to rehash the SloMo failure here - but 7 on #2 UK, 0 on #3 Bama, 3 on #7 LSU, 6 on #6 UF WHEN WE HAD THE #1 D with only 11.9 pts a game. #$@#$@#%@%#@

But yeah, Leach's offense is unusual in that it has a hard time scoring on good defenses.

Coach34
10-24-2022, 01:23 PM
It's been pretty clear for over a decade our offenses struggle with top tier of the SEC defenses:
I'm using Scoring Defense, as IIRCC that is a stat you like:

'10 - 7 pts on #2 LSU, 10 pts on #4 Florida(W), 10 pts on #1 Bama
'11 - 6 pts on #2 LSU, 7 pts on #1 Bama
'12 - 7 pts on #1 Bama, 17 on #2 LSU
'13 - 7 pts on #1 Bama, 16 on #2 USCe - and 3 on #19 nationally OSU
'14 - is the outlier - we had a generational talent at QB, and NFL talent in every position group, still only 17 pts on #1 OM, 20 pts on #3 Bama, 17 pts on #4 Arkansas (W) - did score 34 on #2 LSU (W)
'15 - 6 on #1 Bama, but 31 on #2 Mizzou (W), but on 17 against #11 Auburn (w), and 19 against #10 LSU
'16 - USA says it all
'17 - 3 on #2 UGA and 10 on #3 Auburn. We did have a Mullen era high 24 on #1 Bama, but at the same time could only manage 28 against #14 Arkansas and #13 OM
'18 - I really don't want to rehash the SloMo failure here - but 7 on #2 UK, 0 on #3 Bama, 3 on #7 LSU, 6 on #6 UF WHEN WE HAD THE #1 D with only 11.9 pts a game. #$@#$@#%@%#@

But yeah, Leach's offense is unusual in that it has a hard time scoring on good defenses.

But aGAIN- the hill everyone dies on is that Leach's O is what's needed to score on good defenses. It's whats needed to beat Bama. 5 ppg against Bama in 3 games.

Jimbo's supposedly archaic O scored more this year alone than Leach in 3 tries.

Good defenses all the same thing against us. Get a pass rush without bringing much extra pressure while keeping our WR's in front and blowing them up when the ball arrives.

BrunswickDawg
10-24-2022, 01:31 PM
But aGAIN- the hill everyone dies on is that Leach's O is what's needed to score on good defenses. It's whats needed to beat Bama. 5 ppg against Bama in 3 games.

Good defenses all the same thing against us. Get a pass rush without bringing much extra pressure while keeping our WR's in front and blowing them up when the ball arrives.

Well, I'm not making that argument. I think it speaks more to the continual personnel problem at WR not the scheme. You do need a passing game that can take the top off of Bama's D (and the other top tier SEC D's). To do that you need NFL level WR to match up and beat Bama's NFL level DBs. We have never, and still don't have that. I think the odds of attracting it in a pass first offense are better than they were in a Running QB based spread option.

Coach34
10-24-2022, 01:46 PM
I think the odds of attracting it in a pass first offense are better than they were in a Running QB based spread option.

UPig did it
Freeze did it and they were Spread Option
Florida did it constantly
Auburn has had good WR groups

Our lack of WR recruiting was because of idiots like Hevesy telling WR recruits they have to learn how to block during their recruitment. You tell them that kind of stuff after they get on campus.

Commercecomet24
10-24-2022, 01:49 PM
UPig did it
Freeze did it and they were Spread Option
Florida did it constantly
Auburn has had good WR groups

Our lack of WR recruiting was because of idiots like Hevesy telling WR recruits they have to learn how to block during their recruitment. You tell them that kind of stuff after they get on campus.

WR are the biggest primma donnas on the football field. Yeah you have to handle them differently than other recruits for sure.

PikeDawg15
10-24-2022, 01:56 PM
Jalin Hyatt was a 3* coming out of high school that TN offered but didn't get until he transferred in the portal. In college he became a 4*. I think our main speed is in the younger WR's who haven't had time to learn the system yet.

Marquez Dortch could help us tremendously when he gets ready.

He is lightning fast, only problem is I heard his hands sucked. Thats why other schools wanted him as DB.

gtowndawg
10-24-2022, 01:56 PM
I will answer the question the best I can...

If we lose to Auburn, Georgia, and Ole Miss I want him gone immediately.

If we beat Auburn but lose to Georgia and Ole Miss (again), I don't think he will be fired, but I will have little interest in football next year. He will have lost me.

PikeDawg15
10-24-2022, 02:00 PM

Ive been very critical of leach recently but

Man did you watch the A&M - bama game?

Bama played with that shitty milroe at qb and turned the ball over between 4-5 times in their own territory and a&m's qb literally just threw it up to one of A&m's 54 5 star NFL receivers and they made plays that our 3 star receivers cant because we are poor.

Im praying that these 5 star A&M players get pissed and enter the portal because they can keep their NIL deals, if we could get 2 of their 5 star receivers and a couple defensive players on the line and in the secondary. I would be very happy.

PikeDawg15
10-24-2022, 02:02 PM
I will answer the question the best I can...

If we lose to Auburn, Georgia, and Ole Miss I want him gone immediately.

If we beat Auburn but lose to Georgia and Ole Miss (again), I don't think he will be fired, but I will have little interest in football next year. He will have lost me.

Beating Ole Miss and auburn will solve all our problems.

Only problem is doing it.

Goldendawg
10-24-2022, 02:08 PM
At this point in a vacuum we have a much bigger need at WR than we do QB. In that we need guys that can catch the ball more consistently.

We went from "best WR room in years" to can't catch the ball in 8 games. These guys get little separation against SEC DB's and a couple are afraid of contact.

Johnson85
10-24-2022, 02:12 PM

This is possibly the most talented roster we've had since 2018. I'm still not sure how much of 2019 was lack of talent versus Jo Mo coaching plus spreading out tutor gate suspensions.

Now I don't know what the hell we're going to do on the DL the next couple of years, so this team will probably look really talented compared to the next couple of defenses. But I think that's probably an NIL issue we're going to have to figure out and not realy a leach issue.

NCDawg
10-24-2022, 02:20 PM
Beating Ole Miss and auburn will solve all our problems.

Only problem is doing it.

It won't solve all our problems, but a 7-5 record is about the best we can do.

DownwardDawg
10-24-2022, 03:06 PM
We need a Gus Malzahn type offense with a better coach. Mullen's offense was close but he was a terrible play caller and recruiter.

gtowndawg
10-24-2022, 04:40 PM
It won't solve all our problems, but a 7-5 record is about the best we can do.

7-5 with victories over Auburn and Ole Miss is 4 SEC west wins. Win your bowl and finish strong recruiting (top 25) and I'm good. I don't feel like that's a bridge too far but it's on Leach to figure it out.

Johnson85
10-24-2022, 05:09 PM
7-5 with victories over Auburn and Ole Miss is 4 SEC west wins. Win your bowl and finish strong recruiting (top 25) and I'm good. I don't feel like that's a bridge too far but it's on Leach to figure it out.

You're predicing a lost to ETSU and UGA and wins against Auburn and Ole Miss?

NCDawg
10-24-2022, 05:17 PM

That was my mistake. We are 5-3 now. We beat Auburn, ESTU and Ole Miss, lose to Georgia, and we're 8-4. I was counting an Ole Miss loss which would be 7-5.

gtowndawg
10-24-2022, 08:22 PM

My bad, I was just thinking about SEC games left. ETSU is a win, no doubt. 8-4.