PDA

View Full Version : That Morale Victory Post Everyone Hates

Tater
10-22-2022, 11:43 PM
We fought tonight. We fought till 0:00. We weren't leaving without scoring. Sure it can be a meme and a joke, but that team needed that score. After the week those kids have had... Bless.

1. The story of this game should be that we dropped it. We dropped the ball. Drops directly took 10-14 points off the board and led to 10 points the other way. Just hypothetically, if we don't drop a pass that we should, this game is 20-17 or 21-20 with us scoring the last TD to win. That is ****ing frustrating.

2. The refs are the refs. We knew what we would get in T-Town coming off a loss where Saban bitched to the refs. I'm glad Leach said no comment. I won't get fined, so I'll say it. Two bogus RTP calls that Jerome Boger wouldn't even make directly led to 10 more points for Bama. A missed blatant hold gave Bama another 7. Just having the non-egregious mistakes removed takes Bama down to a 13-6 win. Have them spot balls fairly and actually call DPI / Holding like normal turns it on it's head. The first half is enough to ask for. The second half will never happen.

3. Those things taken into consideration... Leach did nothing to move the needle against him. 7-5 earns him year 4. 8-4 earns him the fanbase back. 9-3 turns the hype machine into overdrive. 6-6 would leave a lot of sour taste in people's mouth. A pulse of the team would have to be taken. If lots of transfers... then it would be tough to keep him.

4. We were down several key pieces. Sharp and DJ being out hurt. There was one play Kam got blown out terribly and screwed up a run that stood out. Dillon Johnson being out didnt hurt as much as I thought it would. That's a complement to Simeon Price. That dude is a BALLER. I get strong Aeris Williams energy coming from him. I hope he likes the Air Raid and Starkville because he will be great for us moving forward. Woody Marks is Kylin Hill who played through his injuries.

5. If anyone calls Woody soft again after tonight, you can **** right off. He's brittle, but he damn sure ain't soft. Broke nose. Plugged up. Bulled ahead for a first down. Dare I say I had a glimmer of hope. Glad he got the touchdown. He earned it. Our backfield has 3 guys I trust fully. Our run game has evolved to about where it needs to be. There was only one run play that just didn't work against any front (the little pitch forward bs). Alabama is too talented for that. Needs to not be in the playbook against Georgia. It can work against Ole Miss and potentially Auburn. But it just doesn't against Bama / Georgia.

6. Rogers didn't have his best game but he also didn't have his worst game. He had a solid B performance. Though these drops rearing it's ugly head makes you question what's going on. One of the drops was tipped at the line. But Tulu's drop just hurt.

7. The WR group let this team down. But this is one of the most youthful groups. Rara, Rufus, Tulu, Jayden, Justin all have TWO more years to play. Figure out the road drops and keep the continuity and this could be special. Another poster said this had 2013 Bama vibes. I agree. I'm feeling the 2013 feeling of the makings of a good team that just isn't consistently putting it all together. 2023 has an easier schedule than 2014... so I like the trajectory.

8. Let's take a look at that depth chart shall we:
Rogers has two more years to Play
Woody / DJ have two more years to play. Price has 3.
Rara / Tulu / Jayden / JRob / Rufus have two more years.
Losoya / Nick Jones have another year (maybe 2 with covid?) We look better. The trajectory is better.
DLine is the group that is the biggest need. We have no difference maker and it shows. We need someone to step up either internally or via the portal. Crumedy coming back next year would be huge. Hope he just takes the year off for his sake.
Watson, Johnson have another year. Purvis / Page look good.
Decam/ Banks look solid for next year
Safeties have played better but they still aren't where we need them. But they have stopped being a black hole for us. No idea how many can play next year but probably need to hit the portal again.

9. All that to say, We return enough to be excited in 2023. If we take this and move forward correctly and go 8-4/9-3 then I say we will beat Alabama at home next year. The trajectory is there. The offense design works. Saban couldn't scheme things to keep us from constantly finding open men. If we just don't drop it like it's hot all game then this board would be a lot happier.

Hail State. Onto a must win vs. Auburn.

Goldendawg
10-23-2022, 12:00 AM
The drops were bad but SEC Football Final said we averaged less than 4 yards per pass attempt. This reminds me of Croom's West Coast offense which depended on YAC which was seldom there. I admit that I didn't know the air raid was a ball control offense based on short passes. Seems like we have to run it almost perfectly to be successful. We have some key players out, but that happens this time of year. Have two weeks to get well and beat AU. Hail State!

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 12:07 AM
The drops were bad but SEC Football Final said we averaged less than 4 yards per pass attempt. This reminds me of Croom's West Coast offense which depended on YAC which was seldom there. I admit that I didn't know the air raid was a ball control offense based on short passes. Seems like we have to run it almost perfectly to be successful. We have some key players out, but that happens this time of year. Have two weeks to get well and beat AU. Hail State!

The drops played into the low ypa. The one tulu dropped would've been a 35 yard td catch, and that's just one

Quaoarsking
10-23-2022, 12:23 AM
Yeah, agreed generally with the post. This is not a game to melt down over. We all knew what was coming.

Now if we lose to Auburn, melt away.

Goldendawg
10-23-2022, 12:26 AM
The drops played into the low ypa. The one tulu dropped would've been a 35 yard td catch, and that's just one

Good point and stats can often be deceptive. Iron things out the next two weeks and get well for AU. A victory against them would solve a lot of issues finishing strong.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 12:28 AM
Good point and stats can often be deceptive. Iron things out the next two weeks and get well for AU. A victory against them would solve a lot of issues finishing strong.

Amen to that! Gotta win in 2 weeks!

Apoplectic
10-23-2022, 12:31 AM
The team is Pu55y soft and will is again 3rd rate. We/him are 6-7 win quality and nothing better.

Goldendawg
10-23-2022, 12:39 AM
If being a State fan was easy, most of the college football "fans" in my county would have State stickers on their vehicles instead of the new bama stickers they are buying tomorrow to cover the TN stickers they bought last week to cover old bama stickers. Beat AU! Hail State!

Goldendawg
10-23-2022, 12:41 AM
The team is Pu55y soft and will is again 3rd rate. We/him are 6-7 win quality and nothing better.

Last three SEC games will tell for sure.

ScoobaDawg
10-23-2022, 12:47 AM
Yeah, agreed generally with the post. This is not a game to melt down over. We all knew what was coming.

Now if we lose to Auburn, melt away.

I agree.. I'm pissed more at the refs and that the first half gave us a chance.
We had chances.. but didn't capitalize for many reasons.

I hate Bama... so much.

Todd4State
10-23-2022, 02:03 AM

Shorter more horizontal passes work and are easier to complete and are typically higher percentage pass plays and thus easier to execute. I would expect any college QB at any level to competently complete a 10 yard pass to a receiver. That's not a big ask of SEC football players.

Deeper passes are lower percentage and more difficult to complete but they are also more explosive.

Our plays don't have to be run any more perfectly to work than any other college offenses. We're all running a lot of the same plays basically.

Todd4State
10-23-2022, 02:05 AM
We fought tonight. We fought till 0:00. We weren't leaving without scoring. Sure it can be a meme and a joke, but that team needed that score. After the week those kids have had... Bless.

1. The story of this game should be that we dropped it. We dropped the ball. Drops directly took 10-14 points off the board and led to 10 points the other way. Just hypothetically, if we don't drop a pass that we should, this game is 20-17 or 21-20 with us scoring the last TD to win. That is ****ing frustrating.

2. The refs are the refs. We knew what we would get in T-Town coming off a loss where Saban bitched to the refs. I'm glad Leach said no comment. I won't get fined, so I'll say it. Two bogus RTP calls that Jerome Boger wouldn't even make directly led to 10 more points for Bama. A missed blatant hold gave Bama another 7. Just having the non-egregious mistakes removed takes Bama down to a 13-6 win. Have them spot balls fairly and actually call DPI / Holding like normal turns it on it's head. The first half is enough to ask for. The second half will never happen.

3. Those things taken into consideration... Leach did nothing to move the needle against him. 7-5 earns him year 4. 8-4 earns him the fanbase back. 9-3 turns the hype machine into overdrive. 6-6 would leave a lot of sour taste in people's mouth. A pulse of the team would have to be taken. If lots of transfers... then it would be tough to keep him.

4. We were down several key pieces. Sharp and DJ being out hurt. There was one play Kam got blown out terribly and screwed up a run that stood out. Dillon Johnson being out didnt hurt as much as I thought it would. That's a complement to Simeon Price. That dude is a BALLER. I get strong Aeris Williams energy coming from him. I hope he likes the Air Raid and Starkville because he will be great for us moving forward. Woody Marks is Kylin Hill who played through his injuries.

5. If anyone calls Woody soft again after tonight, you can **** right off. He's brittle, but he damn sure ain't soft. Broke nose. Plugged up. Bulled ahead for a first down. Dare I say I had a glimmer of hope. Glad he got the touchdown. He earned it. Our backfield has 3 guys I trust fully. Our run game has evolved to about where it needs to be. There was only one run play that just didn't work against any front (the little pitch forward bs). Alabama is too talented for that. Needs to not be in the playbook against Georgia. It can work against Ole Miss and potentially Auburn. But it just doesn't against Bama / Georgia.

6. Rogers didn't have his best game but he also didn't have his worst game. He had a solid B performance. Though these drops rearing it's ugly head makes you question what's going on. One of the drops was tipped at the line. But Tulu's drop just hurt.

7. The WR group let this team down. But this is one of the most youthful groups. Rara, Rufus, Tulu, Jayden, Justin all have TWO more years to play. Figure out the road drops and keep the continuity and this could be special. Another poster said this had 2013 Bama vibes. I agree. I'm feeling the 2013 feeling of the makings of a good team that just isn't consistently putting it all together. 2023 has an easier schedule than 2014... so I like the trajectory.

Losoya / Nick Jones have another year (maybe 2 with covid?) We look better. The trajectory is better.
DLine is the group that is the biggest need. We have no difference maker and it shows. We need someone to step up either internally or via the portal. Crumedy coming back next year would be huge. Hope he just takes the year off for his sake.
Safeties have played better but they still aren't where we need them. But they have stopped being a black hole for us. No idea how many can play next year but probably need to hit the portal again.

9. All that to say, We return enough to be excited in 2023. If we take this and move forward correctly and go 8-4/9-3 then I say we will beat Alabama at home next year. The trajectory is there. The offense design works. Saban couldn't scheme things to keep us from constantly finding open men. If we just don't drop it like it's hot all game then this board would be a lot happier.

Great post!

The drops disappointed me more than anything tonight. I thought we played better as a team tonight than we did against Kentucky. But our WR group really needs to focus on catching the ball because they've had way too many drops this year.

People rail on Austin Williams when he makes a mistake but Tulu and Walley have consistently had more drops than Austin.

basedog
10-23-2022, 07:20 AM

Tater, you knocked it out of the park with this post. The next 4 games are very critical I think for Leach and his tenure at Msu. I don't see us going 3-1, probably 2-2, but 1-3 would just about kill the fan base after having 18 returning starters and all the talk about year 3 under Leach. Btw, there is no excuse not being better on special teams, it's been really bad now for 3 years.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 07:31 AM
Rogers...
Passer rating - 82.34
QBR - 38.9

A "B". Lol

Maroonthirteen
10-23-2022, 08:19 AM
What plays are considered drops? The one long pass that was a sure TD, yes. That's a drop.

However the yards per pass attempt and "drops" go hand in hand. How many times did we run a less than 5 yard slant to get 3rd or 4th and short? Often. How many times were the DBs on the heals of the wr and able to separate the WR from the ball. Every time.

When the secondary knows what you are doing and a safety or LB is running down hill to lay a hit... it's tough to hold on. This offense fools nobody. Chris Doering will tell ya.

Tater
10-23-2022, 08:24 AM
Rogers...
Passer rating - 82.34
QBR - 38.9

A "B". Lol

I mean the part where I said drops moved the game from 30-6 to 20-17 / 21-20 ? That should have been enough to key you in that Will wasn't the problem. Unless you think he's not throwing catchable balls and want to blame him for the litany of drops.

Did you watch the game or did you read a scoreboard?

Also don't give me that "Alabama would have played better if it was closer" crap. They're coming off a loss. Their coach was pissed with :30 to go. Alabama doesn't "let up" under Saban. We took their foot off the gas.

Homedawg
10-23-2022, 08:25 AM
Great post!

The drops disappointed me more than anything tonight. I thought we played better as a team tonight than we did against Kentucky. But our WR group really needs to focus on catching the ball because they've had way too many drops this year.

People rail on Austin Williams when he makes a mistake but Tulu and Walley have consistently had more drops than Austin.

Correct. Don't talk bad about tulu. That's only for Austin. I've been reading for months how we were misusing tulu and walley...both had drops and tulu played soft.

bulldawg28
10-23-2022, 08:26 AM
What plays are considered drops? The one long pass that was a sure TD, yes. That's a drop.

However the yards per pass attempt and "drops" go hand in hand. How many times did we run a less than 5 yard slant to get 3rd or 4th and short? Often. How many times were the DBs on the heals of the wr and able to separate the WR from the ball. Every time.

When the secondary knows what you are doing and a safety or LB is running down hill to lay a hit... it's tough to hold on. This offense fools nobody. Chris Doering will tell ya.

This, this offense will be obsolete without a running QB

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 08:28 AM

I like your post but LOL at what's highlighted. SEC ain't gonna let us beat Bama regardless if we're better than them or not. They won't let KY or Arky beat them either.

There are just too many other teams that they will let beat Bama or wanna prop up with publicity (like TAM & OM). And in any given year only 1 until playoff is expanded.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 08:30 AM
I like your post but LOL at what's highlighted. SEC ain't gonna let us beat Bama regardless if we're better than them or not. They won't let KY or Arky beat them either.

There are just too many other teams that they will let beat Bama or wanna prop up with publicity (like TAM & OM). And in any given year only 1 until playoff is expanded.

This saying the refs are why we lost is quite embarrassing

Tater
10-23-2022, 08:31 AM

Not sure how the whole team was soft. WRs sure. But everyone else played hard. Woody ran with a broke nose. Will got a 4th down run conversion. The defense held bama to 29 rushing yards. The team fought. Alabama's offense ran on holding for 8+ seconds and having the QB backyard it. Nothing you can do when you don't have DLine that can take advantage of solid coverage and at least make it blatant that you're being held.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 08:33 AM
Not sure how the whole team was soft. WRs sure. But everyone else played hard. Woody ran with a broke nose. Will got a 4th down run conversion. The defense held bama to 29 rushing yards. The team fought. Alabama's offense ran on holding for 8+ seconds and having the QB backyard it. Nothing you can do when you don't have DLine that can take advantage of solid coverage and at least make it blatant that you're being held.

If no one but the WRs are soft, then 36-45% of our offense is soft

Tater
10-23-2022, 08:33 AM
Correct. Don't talk bad about tulu. That's only for Austin. I've been reading for months how we were misusing tulu and walley...both had drops and tulu played soft.

Maybe armchair coaches shouldn't set the depth chart. The backup is both the most popular guy in town and also lilly the backup for a reason.

Tater
10-23-2022, 08:36 AM

The refs were bad. But they were not the sole reason we lost. The refs being like they were against UTK do make this a completely different ballgame though. But the drops were the bigger thing.

Tater
10-23-2022, 08:37 AM
If no one but the WRs are soft, then 36-45% of our offense is soft

And by math that's less than 25% of our team. Great point you have there.

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 08:39 AM

Yea, I know ... you want it all to be legit. I get it.

We wouldn't have won anyway, but I don't believe Bama would've walked away with it either.

Whining over and over like a spoiled kid for anyone not named Mullen in football should be quite embarrassing too. But yea ... I get that too. You ain't embarrased. Mullen's offense was very average 6 of the 9 years he was here, especially in SEC road games.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 08:52 AM
Yea, I know ... you want it all to be legit. I get it.

We wouldn't have won anyway, but I don't believe Bama would've walked away with it either.

Whining over and over like a spoiled kid for anyone not named Mullen in football should be quite embarrassing too. But yea ... I get that too. You ain't embarrased. Mullen's offense was very average 6 of the 9 years he was here, especially in SEC road games.

Who brings up mullen more, me or you? Think about that when you crying about refs this morning

msstate7
10-23-2022, 08:54 AM
And by math that's less than 25% of our team. Great point you have there.

So how many of the 11 on offense at one time play wr? 25%?

msstate7
10-23-2022, 08:55 AM
The refs were bad. But they were not the sole reason we lost. The refs being like they were against UTK do make this a completely different ballgame though. But the drops were the bigger thing.

Every time we lose, it's drops, drops, drops being blamed. Guess what? When you throw it 60 times there are gonna be drops. That's why no one else throws it 60 times

Tater
10-23-2022, 09:14 AM
So how many of the 11 on offense at one time play wr? 25%?

The offense is 100% of the team? Ok lincoln.

Tater
10-23-2022, 09:17 AM
Every time we lose, it's drops, drops, drops being blamed. Guess what? When you throw it 60 times there are gonna be drops. That's why no one else throws it 60 times

This is one of those times you probably need to step away from the keyboard. You're clearly in a bad bad mood. You're not thinking straight and posting with emotion. Go for a walk and skip on sports for a couple days. It does wonders for your psyche. Trust me.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 09:22 AM
This is one of those times you probably need to step away from the keyboard. You're clearly in a bad bad mood. You're not thinking straight and posting with emotion. Go for a walk and skip on sports for a couple days. It does wonders for your psyche. Trust me.

Nothing makes me more mad than a moral victory (loss of 24 in reality) esp when it follows a complete turd loss like last week. We have 2 offensive TDs in the last 2 games (one on the last play of a 30-0 game), and we don't have 600 total yards combined in the 2 games. What part do I not have straight?

ETA... if we had taken care of business last week, us high fiving a 24-pt loss wouldn't be so bad.

Tater
10-23-2022, 09:26 AM
Nothing makes me more mad than a moral victory (loss of 24 in reality) esp when it follows a complete turd loss like last week. We have 2 offensive TDs in the last 2 games (one on the last play of a 30-0 game), and we don't have 600 total yards combined in the 2 games. What part do I not have straight?

ETA... if we had taken care of business last week, us high fiving a 24-pt loss wouldn't be so bad.

That we had a kid on the team die and expecting anything more than a team coming out and fighting against angry Bama is just setting yourself up to be disappointed. You need to recalibrate a bit. Seriously.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 09:27 AM
That we had a kid on the team die and expecting anything more than a team coming out and fighting against angry Bama is just setting yourself up to be disappointed. You need to recalibrate a bit. Seriously.

What's the excuse for last week?

msstate7
10-23-2022, 09:30 AM
We've played 3 sec road games, and we haven't gotten 300 total yards in any of them.

Tater
10-23-2022, 09:36 AM
What's the excuse for last week?

I think everyone here jointly agreed last week sucked hard. It was by far our worst game of the season. Nothing more to say about it. Beating a dead horse.

We've had one game this year where we as a team cohesively sucked. That was UK. We've had 2 games where we dropped the ball on winning. LSU / Bama. Sucks, but that's a lot better than the typical Mississippi State baseline.

SilentSteel16
10-23-2022, 09:49 AM
Y?all do realize that we didn?t take the points on opening drive (3) missed a semi long FG (6) dropped a straight up TD pass (12) possibly (13) if we kicked XP. Those missed points resulted in 2 tds (13) with the XPs (14). Now you figure in the miffed punt which by the way was not Austin Williams, it resulted in (6) and (7) with XP on an extreme short field for Bama. Do the math this game was way closer than it was in scoreboard. Not to mention we were not allowed to touch Young, that roughing the passer gave a fresh set of downs. Walley dropped 2 passes on 4th down. One of them is understandable due to safety crashing down with helmet on ball though.

We got beat, flat out. But that game should have been a 10 point game or closer if we could kick FGs or even attempt them and didn?t drop sure fire TDs.

Maroon glasses or not, but they were not running the ball that great and the rush 3 killed us on defense.

Not sure what many of you were expecting but the final score does not tell the story.

EdwardDrayton
10-23-2022, 10:25 AM

I think some folks are quick to assign fault to the refs because it?s too hard for them to accept our team isn?t good enough. Blaming the refs allows them to continue a false narrative that we would have won if only.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 10:31 AM
I think some folks are quick to assign fault to the refs because it?s too hard for them to accept our team isn?t good enough. Blaming the refs allows them to continue a false narrative that we would have won if only.

Dawgday is a good poster, but he has major issues with bama. He can't just accept they're damn good, and they arent winning vs us bc of officiating. They win bc they're far superior in every facet from on-field to off-field

BrunswickDawg
10-23-2022, 10:47 AM
Dawgday is a good poster, but he has major issues with bama. He can't just accept they're damn good, and they arent winning vs us bc of officiating. They win bc they're far superior in every facet from on-field to off-field

Which is why I don't get the melt. 90% of everyone thought we would be boat raced by Bama's talent, and we were. To beat Bama we have to play a perfect game and we didn't. Because of the talent gap and the need to play perfect the mistakes are amplified. Throw in losing a teammate and I'm shocked it wasn't worse.

As for the Refs I'll say this - They impacted our game for the 2nd week in a row. They are not why we lost. But, if we continue to be penalized with the number of very questionable calls I will start to believe that Mark Curles has called in his favors and is getting revenge for us getting his crew suspended.

Todd4State
10-23-2022, 12:12 PM

Jimbo Fisher beats Bama last night right?**

lastmajordog
10-23-2022, 12:48 PM
A point that CAN NOT be argued is that through the years Bama has more talent, superior coaches and better facilities and larger fan base. What also CAN NOT be argued is that consistently OFF LINE HOLDING AND HOLDING BY DEF BACKS by Bama have kept DOG games from being competitive at least part of many games and has decided outcome on several i’m sure. Close games tend to have surprises. Congrats to Tide alumni (Mom), but watching those grabs (db’s) and choke hold throw downs (ol) are just hard to take.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 01:14 PM
Jimbo Fisher beats Bama last night right?**

He's been an absolute disaster this year

Todd4State
10-23-2022, 01:30 PM
He's been an absolute disaster this year

And since you championed him for years I'll take your opinion on our coaching matters with a massive grain of salt.

Not to mention Kendall Briles who we shut down this year as well and has an offense that is about where we are while choking against A&M.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 01:59 PM
And since you championed him for years I'll take your opinion on our coaching matters with a massive grain of salt.

Not to mention Kendall Briles who we shut down this year as well and has an offense that is about where we are while choking against A&M.

Ark had 483 yards vs us with their back up qb. For reference, we've had 518 total for the last 2 games. If we "shut down" briles, what did they do to Leach?

Maverick91
10-23-2022, 02:02 PM
Tater I have said it a few times and ill say it here, you are quickly becoming my favorite poster. You said everything I was going to post except better and more eloquently.

This team did everything they were supposed to and we wanted them to last night except for winning. Defense kept us in the game, no deer in the headlights, the stage wasnt to big for us, clean up these mistakes and we should win out and I mean that. This still have the makings of a special season leading into what could be really special next year depending on people returning.

Good stuff, man!

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 02:10 PM

Dude, I was a huge Bama fan growing up. They were my favorite team. I had a lot of respect for Saban at one time too.

They may not be winning against us because of the refs, but that ain't the case in some other key games, especially from 2017 on. If you can't see that, you just got your head buried in the sand. What kills me is they've even gotten video reviews that show otherwise called in their favor. Or the refs decided not to review a call so it couldn't be reversed against them.

Every year, they always in that title game. The mathematical probability of that over this many years is pert near zero. I'd honestly be bugged if roles were reversed and MSU was "dominating" in this fashion.

I'd like a little suspense to CFB and what bugs me is ... I almost can predict it to at T, including how the game will play out.

And ... they ain't really that good this year but they'll be in Natty Title game. Watch and see.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 02:23 PM
Dude, I was a huge Bama fan growing up. They were my favorite team. I had a lot of respect for Saban at one time too.

They may not be winning against us because of the refs, but that ain't the case in some other key games, especially from 2017 on. If you can't see that, you just got your head buried in the sand. What kills me is they've even gotten video reviews that show otherwise called in their favor. Or the refs decided not to review a call so it couldn't be reversed against them.

Every year, they always in that title game. The mathematical probability of that over this many years is pert near zero. I'd honestly be bugged if roles were reversed and MSU was "dominating" in this fashion.

I'd like a little suspense to CFB and what bugs me is ... I almost can predict it to at T, including how the game will play out.

And ... they ain't really that good this year but they'll be in Natty Title game. Watch and see.

They won't survive the sec championship. They may not even be there... lsu might be the rep from the west. LSU is playing really well now, and they get bama at home

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 02:24 PM
Which is why I don't get the melt. 90% of everyone thought we would be boat raced by Bama's talent, and we were. To beat Bama we have to play a perfect game and we didn't. Because of the talent gap and the need to play perfect the mistakes are amplified. Throw in losing a teammate and I'm shocked it wasn't worse.

As for the Refs I'll say this - They impacted our game for the 2nd week in a row. They are not why we lost. But, if we continue to be penalized with the number of very questionable calls I will start to believe that Mark Curles has called in his favors and is getting revenge for us getting his crew suspended.

Agree with all of this, especially 2nd paragraph. The difference between last week and this week tho is Bama's talent. We already significantly undermanned against them ... they shouldn't need any help. But with KY, we on a par talent wise and we should be able to suck it up and fight through it better.

I hardly ever use the ref excuse too. Grew up when the the game had more integrity tho and when an occasional (back then) call was missed, that was human error and didn't think nothing of it. It's not human error (or occasional either) anymore, I see by far more missed calls and that is with instant replay available now.

I've also been a ref before in football & hoops, and an ump in baseball too. I always tried to call it square. If I missed a call and realized it, I'd try to let another like it slide for the other team to make up for it. And that's all I would like from today's refs too.

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 02:38 PM
They won't survive the sec championship. They may not even be there... lsu might be the rep from the west. LSU is playing really well now, and they get bama at home

I thought that last year too. An all-time top 10 D gave up 7 fewer yds to Bama in SEC title game than we gave up to them. Really?? GA's D last year gave up 5 fewer pts/game than the Bama 2011 D did. Go research Top 10 Ds ... those teams dominate. That game's results should've been like Natty title game result. But Bama was in that Natty Title game again ... wasn't they?

I don't know if that was the refs or not cause I got so disgusted and quit watching very early in the game. Something just ain't right that is going on but I did predict the Title Game scenario of how it would play out to a T. Probably would've predicted the 1st one too if GA's team hadn't been a top 10 all-time D. Thought there was no way they could lose with that being the case.

BrunswickDawg
10-23-2022, 02:43 PM

Wait. I was assured on here when we lost to LSU that we lost to a horrible team that sucked. Now they have a chance to win the West? Which is it?

Quaoarsking
10-23-2022, 02:46 PM
Wait. I was assured on here when we lost to LSU that we lost to a horrible team that sucked. Now they have a chance to win the West? Which is it?

It was always the latter. We just all convinced ourselves that Brian Kelly was a terrible hire and that LSU would be bad, even though LSU is loaded with talent and Kelly has been a big winner at every job he's ever been at, and it's really hard for anyone (myself included) to admit we were wrong.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 02:50 PM

Yeah I heard the same thing. That we were so much better than them and it was bad loss. Winning at Baton Rouge is never easy for anyone. And the fact we lead through 3 quarters shows how good this team can be. Need more consistency

ETA I never considered it a bad loss because lsu always has top end talent and Baton Rouge at night is tough environment

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 02:54 PM
It was always the latter. We just all convinced ourselves that Brian Kelly was a terrible hire and that LSU would be bad, even though LSU is loaded with talent and Kelly has been a big winner at every job he's ever been at, and it's really hard for anyone (myself included) to admit we were wrong.

I wasn't sure on Kelly and still ain't. He will have a lot more talent at LSU tho. I am leaning towards he'll be pretty darn decent tho.

We always convince ourselves the other SEC coaching hires suck and ours are great (except in Leach's case). I'd like to go back and pull up some threads on who is now "the great Kiffin" hire. I tried to tell folks I thought he was a pretty decent coach ... he just couldn't keep his pecker in his pants. But if he's focused, he was pretty decent. But naw, most everyone on this board thought he sucked big time LOL.

HoopsDawg
10-23-2022, 02:56 PM
I must have watched a different game. I'm glad we didn't get beat by 40, but I never felt we were in the game after the first 2 possessions. Bama coasted the 2nd half and protected Bryce Young. And Bama is not that good.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 03:41 PM

You're a braves fan, right? Remember the braves last year in May? Was that the same team that won a WS? Teams improve, and Kelly has lsu improving. Did you think lsu was good when fsu beat them?

BrunswickDawg
10-23-2022, 03:55 PM
You're a braves fan, right? Remember the braves last year in May? Was that the same team that won a WS? Teams improve, and Kelly has lsu improving. Did you think lsu was good when fsu beat them?

That's rich coming from the guy who was melting down in the Braves thread when they were 10-13 at the end of April and I said "the Braves start slow, get back to me at the end of June." I said after the LSU game that people were underestimating LSU and they were a good team that needed to gel. I'm also pretty sure you were one of posters who ripped me for saying so. Now - we did miss an opportunity to catch LSU before they gelled, and had opportunities to win that game. LSU had games where they didn't play well, but they've always had too much talent to suck they way many on here claimed.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 04:02 PM
That's rich coming from the guy who was melting down in the Braves thread when they were 10-13 at the end of April and I said "the Braves start slow, get back to me at the end of June." I said after the LSU game that people were underestimating LSU and they were a good team that needed to gel. I'm also pretty sure you were one of posters who ripped me for saying so. Now - we did miss an opportunity to catch LSU before they gelled, and had opportunities to win that game. LSU had games where they didn't play well, but they've always had too much talent to suck they way many on here claimed.

LSU gelled after they got embarrassed by Tenn. They looked really bad at auburn and home Vs tenn; both of those games were post-state

BrunswickDawg
10-23-2022, 04:06 PM
LSU gelled after they got embarrassed by Tenn. They looked really bad at auburn and home Vs tenn; both of those games were post-state

Right. As I said, we missed the opportunity to beat them before they gelled. Hence, them gelling a couple of games after we played them.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 04:07 PM
Right. As I said, we missed the opportunity to beat them before they gelled. Hence, them gelling a couple of games after we played them.

Right. So we lost to a team we shouldn't have. We were favored also

BrunswickDawg
10-23-2022, 04:22 PM
Right. So we lost to a team we shouldn't have. We were favored also
I'm not saying anything different. Again, people assured us that LSU sucked and might be the worst team in the West and it was a HORRIBLE loss. People were writing off LSU as HORRIBLE and it has been proven wrong. There is a difference between playing poorly and being a team that truly sucks. LSU played poorly, but you could see they had talent. Odds were that the team with talent would figure it out. They have.
While losing to LSU was not good (no loss is), it's not going to be on par with a loss to a team that truly sucks - say had we lost to A&M, then THAT could be claimed as a horrible loss to a team that truly sucks.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 04:27 PM
I'm not saying anything different. Again, people assured us that LSU sucked and might be the worst team in the West and it was a HORRIBLE loss. People were writing off LSU as HORRIBLE and it has been proven wrong. There is a difference between playing poorly and being a team that truly sucks. LSU played poorly, but you could see they had talent. Odds were that the team with talent would figure it out. They have.
While losing to LSU was not good (no loss is), it's not going to be on par with a loss to a team that truly sucks - say had we lost to A&M, then THAT could be claimed as a horrible loss to a team that truly sucks.

If someone said lsu might be worse than auburn, they're a complete moron

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 04:37 PM
Here's the thing that gets me. I've been hearing for as long as I can remember we don't have the talent that the rest of the sec has and yet we've become a perennial middle of the pack sec team, which isn't great but it's a big step for us. So either we've had very good coaching(outside of JoMo,yuck) or better talent than we're given credit for, or a combination of both(which is what I believe). If the talent level is as bad as some say our recruiting is then we should be Vandy bad but we're a good, competitive sec team. We all want to be sec champs no doubt, I do too! But if you step back and take a little overview we're starting to overcome almost a century of bad to mediocre football. JMO.

Maverick91
10-23-2022, 04:41 PM

Are you seriously going to sit here and say that?

The broke nose on Woody 15 yards for face mask, there was another 4 down run woody did that they tackled him holding his face mask that?s another 15 yards. Those penalties would have put us within the 25 yard line if not closer. Also that team is the most penalized team in the nation and they only got called 3 times last night? Like seriously make it believable Birmingham.

Not sit here and say that the refs didnt affect the game because they sure enough did. This is outside of all the stupid Ricky tack calls on not touching young. Come on!

msstate7
10-23-2022, 04:41 PM
Here's the thing that gets me. I've been hearing for as long as I can remember we don't have the talent that the rest of the sec has and yet we've become a perennial middle of the pack sec team, which isn't great but it's a big step for us. So either we've had very good coaching(outside of JoMo,yuck) or better talent than we're given credit for, or a combination of both(which is what I believe). If the talent level is as bad as some say our recruiting is then we should be Vandy bad but we're a good, competitive sec team. We all want to be sec champs no doubt, I do too! But if you step back and take a little overview we're starting to overcome almost a century of bad to mediocre football. JMO.

We don't have the talent to consistently win 8-10 games in the sec, so we have to capitalize when we have good experience. Experience can offset talent somewhat. This year was our opportunity to challenge for 8-10 wins. Hurts when it slips through our fingers

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 04:46 PM
We don't have the talent to consistently win 8-10 games in the sec, so we have to capitalize when we have good experience. Experience can offset talent somewhat. This year was our opportunity to challenge for 8-10 wins. Hurts when it slips through our fingers

Oh I agree with that, experience does help but my point is we're doing quite a bit with what we have. Other of the consistently bad sec teams get experienced teams too but don't seem to do as well as we do. I'm saying our coaching has done a pretty good job of winning consistently regardless of what some think.

ETA we can still win 8. We have 4 left we need 3 wins including the egg bowl and I'll be content with this season

PikeDawg15
10-23-2022, 05:04 PM
Oh I agree with that, experience does help but my point is we're doing quite a bit with what we have. Other of the consistently bad sec teams get experienced teams too but don't seem to do as well as we do. I'm saying our coaching has done a pretty good job of winning consistently regardless of what some think.

ETA we can still win 8. We have 4 left we need 3 wins including the egg bowl and I'll be content with this season

And when Ole miss beats us 38-20 on thanksgiving night , will you be content ?

msstate7
10-23-2022, 05:05 PM

I will be thrilled if that's how the season plays out

Todd4State
10-23-2022, 05:07 PM
Ark had 483 yards vs us with their back up qb. For reference, we've had 518 total for the last 2 games. If we "shut down" briles, what did they do to Leach?

Well thank God Briles isn't our coach because he's worse than Leach.

Get back to me when someone actually thinks he's good enough to hire away from Arkansas.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 05:08 PM
And when Ole miss beats us 38-20 on thanksgiving night , will you be content ?

No if you read my post you'll see I said win 3 of 4 and one has to be the egg bowl and that would make me content. So obviously if we dont win 3 and the egg I won't be content.

Todd4State

We return most of our team next year actually. With a chance to improve through the portal with an easier schedule.

But THIS year was our chance?

Commercecomet24
I will be thrilled if that's how the season plays out

Lol me too!

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 05:10 PM
We return most of our team next year actually. With a chance to improve through the portal with an easier schedule.

Yeah if we get back who we can get back we'll have a ton of experience and a much easier schedule. It all depends on who all comes back.

WhiskeyPirate
10-23-2022, 05:12 PM

Exactly. Don’t let the truth get in the way of a bad false narrative

Catfish
10-23-2022, 05:13 PM

Exactly!!

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 05:15 PM

People think we should lose a lot this year(and we may) but they keep forgetting about that covid year that didn't count. I did a list of who all could come back next year and it's a bunch. Now how if any comeback is unknown but some will for sure.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 05:19 PM

We lose oline and 8 of our top 10 tacklers... maybe 9 if Forbes leaves

msstate7
10-23-2022, 05:20 PM

So 8 of our top 10 tacklers is no big deal? Again 9 of Forbes leaves

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 05:22 PM
We lose oline and 8 of our top 10 tacklers... maybe 9 if Forbes leaves

Not necessarily. Go look at eligibility left. All the lbs could come back and most of the dl. The only ones In theory we could really lose are safeties. Most of our defense has eligibility left because of Covid. Will they come back? That we don't know

WhiskeyPirate
10-23-2022, 05:24 PM
Not necessarily. Go look at eligibility left. All the lbs could come back and most of the dl. The only ones In theory we could really lose are safeties. Most of our defense has eligibility left because of Covid. Will they come back? That we don't know

Outside Forbes and wheat none are likely to be drafted. We won’t lose many players and will return a very veteran group.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 05:24 PM

I won't count on any senior coming back till they announce they will. There's a lot of graduate and redshirt seniors in that list

msstate7
10-23-2022, 05:27 PM
And I wouldn't be shocked if a blue blood comes hard after our DC. He's an effin stud, and we're extremely fortunate we've kept him this long

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 05:27 PM
I won't count on any senior coming back till they announce they will. There's a lot of graduate and redshirt seniors in that list

I agree that's the caveat, we could be very deep and experienced if we get who we can back or even a decent amount of them. Who and how many will determine it, but we could be very deep next year. But for sure some will be back, we won't lose 100% of those who have eligibility left

msstate7
10-23-2022, 05:29 PM
I agree that's the caveat, we could be very deep and experienced if we get who we can back or even a decent amount of them. Who and how many will determine it, but we could be very deep next year. But for sure some will be back, we won't lose 100% of those who have eligibility left

Keep our seniors on defense and our DC, and it obviously changes things. I do think auburn will be better next season with a new coach and lsu will be lsu again. Who knows on aTm? I can't believe they're as bad as they are, and it's on jimbo

WhiskeyPirate
10-23-2022, 05:30 PM

Todd’s post hit the nail on the head. We get a very nice schedule with a very veteran team, plus what we add in the portal. Next year is setting up to have a good record and we have a shot to exceed expectations.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 05:32 PM
Keep our seniors on defense and our DC, and it obviously changes things. I do think auburn will be better next season with a new coach and lsu will be lsu again. Who knows on aTm? I can't believe they're as bad as they are, and it's on jimbo

Agreed. AM is a mess. Hard to believe with the way they've recruited that they're this bad. Kinda weird whats going on there. They come within a hair of beating bama but we destroy them and they lose to usce. Just odd situations

NCDawg
10-23-2022, 05:34 PM
I think everyone here jointly agreed last week sucked hard. It was by far our worst game of the season. Nothing more to say about it. Beating a dead horse.

We've had one game this year where we as a team cohesively sucked. That was UK. We've had 2 games where we dropped the ball on winning. LSU / Bama. Sucks, but that's a lot better than the typical Mississippi State baseline.

When you get beat on the LOS both offensively and defensively, odds are you ain't going to win.

TrapGame
10-23-2022, 05:44 PM
Agreed. AM is a mess. Hard to believe with the way they've recruited that they're this bad. Kinda weird whats going on there. They come within a hair of beating bama but we destroy them and they lose to usce. Just odd situations

A&M started as the #6 team in the nation. Now they're not even ranked and possibly won't make a bowl. Jimbo is a snake oil salesman.

Quaoarsking
10-23-2022, 05:44 PM

Why? You should assume everyone comes back unless they say they won't, or if they're considered a likely draft pick.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 05:47 PM
A&M started as the #6 team in the nation. Now they're not even ranked and possibly won't make a bowl. Jimbo is a snake oil salesman.

Yeah I've never believed in jimbo either gotta give him credit though he sold am a bill of goods. The guy should probably be teaching a course in salesmanship. I mean he basically made a 100+ million dollar sale and that impressive to someone like me who's been in sales in marketing for 30 years!

msstate7
10-23-2022, 05:50 PM
Yeah I've never believed in jimbo either gotta give him credit though he sold am a bill of goods. The guy should probably be teaching a course in salesmanship. I mean he basically made a 100+ million dollar sale and that impressive to someone like me who's been in sales in marketing for 30 years!

Well he does have a natty, and he has BCS/NY6 bowls at both schools he's coached at. This season is certainly a crap job, but to act like he's a total fraud is dumb

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 05:55 PM
Well he does have a natty, and he has BCS/NY6 bowls at both schools he's coached at. This season is certainly a crap job, but to act like he's a total fraud is dumb

Man I'm praising him for his salesmanship. He may have a natty but he's not worth a 100+ million. He sold himself well.

He's underachieving with the talent level he's recruited and if you can't admit that somethings wrong

TrapGame
10-23-2022, 05:58 PM

Jimbo used to be a good coach. If we had him instead of Croom while the West was down from 2003-2007, with LSU the only power in the West, things would have been very different for our football program during those years. We probably would have been on probation when he left us to go to FSU but we would have left OM in the dust.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 06:00 PM
Jimbo used to be a good coach. If we had him instead of Croom while the West was down from 2003-2007, with LSU the only power in the West, things would have been very different for our football program during those years. We probably would have been on probation when he left us to go to FSU but we would have left OM in the dust.

I believe he was too but he refuses to make changes to his offense, much like croom. With the talent he's recruited last 5 years he's only had one what I would call excellent season and that was the covid season.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 06:03 PM
I believe he was too but he refuses to make changes to his offense, much like croom. With the talent he's recruited last 5 years he's only had one what I would call excellent season and that was the covid season.

This offseason will be interesting on if he makes some offensive changes. 2 years ago, he was 9-1 with only a loss to bama. Last year, maybe the issue was lost his qb in game 1. This year, no excuses to be this bad. If he's a good coach, and I still think he is, he will adjust some this offseason.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 06:06 PM
This offseason will be interesting on if he makes some offensive changes. 2 years ago, he was 9-1 with only a loss to bama. Last year, maybe the issue was lost his qb in game 1. This year, no excuses to be this bad. If he's a good coach, and I still think he is, he will adjust some this offseason.

Definitely will tell the tale. If he doesn't change his offense he'll be gone after next year because they will continue to be mediocre.

WhiskeyPirate
10-23-2022, 06:10 PM
Definitely will tell the tale. If he doesn't change his offense he'll be gone after next year because they will continue to be mediocre.

If Jimbo doesn’t run it down Ole Miss’ throat then he is a certifiable moron.

He has a very good back too.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 06:12 PM

And a good running qb too! He needs to run and run and run!

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 06:13 PM
And I wouldn't be shocked if a blue blood comes hard after our DC. He's an effin stud, and we're extremely fortunate we've kept him this long

Pretty sure somebody will. I'm concerned with this too.

TrapGame
10-23-2022, 06:16 PM

I hope Achane breaks it off in OM's ass.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 06:18 PM
I hope Achane breaks it off in OM's ass.

Om banged up on defense too. Already down one dl for the season and had 2-3 dbs/lbs go out with injuries yesterday. They're defense is undersized and they maybe wearing down.

WhiskeyPirate
10-23-2022, 06:18 PM
Pretty sure somebody will. I'm concerned with this too.

If somebody hires away Arnett Leach needs to have a list of all the 3-3-5 guys in the country. That defense works perfectly for this program and compliments the offense.

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 06:21 PM
If somebody hires away Arnett Leach needs to have a list of all the 3-3-5 guys in the country. That defense works perfectly for this program and compliments the offense.

I agree. Hell, ED ain't letting me give rep to anyone I guess SMH ... I just tried to give you and Commerce rep but I gotta give some more I guess.

No way in hell I'm giving 7 any tho *****

WhiskeyPirate
10-23-2022, 06:25 PM
I agree. Hell, ED ain't letting me give rep to anyone I guess SMH ... I just tried to give you and Commerce rep but I gotta give some more I guess.

No way in hell I'm giving 7 any tho *****

Rocky Long was still coaching last year but he’s got to be in his seventies, I’d bring him in as a consultant. Worst mistake would be to hire some guy who runs a conventional four man front. I’m sure Leach knows this and played against the 3-3-5 which is why he hired Arnett in the first place.

PikeDawg15
10-23-2022, 06:38 PM

We need another rocky Long follower

I hope that we pay arnette and he stays here until he gets a G5 Head coaching job.

msstate7
10-23-2022, 06:41 PM

I hope that we pay arnette and he stays here until he gets a G5 Head coaching job.

If heupel is smart, he puts the full court blitz on arnett. That combo would be a handful for anyone

Coach34
10-23-2022, 06:52 PM
If heupel is smart, he puts the full court blitz on arnett. That combo would be a handful for anyone

Arnette loves the Starkville area plus the autonomy he has working with Leach. I'm pretty sure they bought some land around the area. A blue blood could certainly pull him away but it will cost them.

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 06:52 PM

I hope so too.

Would you quit putting vibes like this out on the internet WTF.

You being paid by someone to sabotage Leach? ****

Quaoarsking
10-23-2022, 06:53 PM

He'll probably just keep his current DC, right?

msstate7
10-23-2022, 06:53 PM
I hope so too.

Would you quit putting vibes like this out on the internet WTF.

You being paid by someone to sabotage Leach? ****

I do it for free

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 06:55 PM
Arnette loves the Starkville area plus the autonomy he has working with Leach. I'm pretty sure they bought some land around the area. A blue blood could certainly pull him away but it will cost them.

I've heard the same. He's making a ton of money here and remember with cost of living in Mississippi it's worth even more, he can do his own thing, not a ton of pressure, etc. I've heard hes only interested if it's an HC job but I've heard that before too.

I've also heard Arnett digging the country lifestyle.

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 06:55 PM
I do it for free

I believe that shit. It's like you want us all miserable till Cohen hires a coach you have a man crush on like Mullen or Howland **

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 06:57 PM
He'll probably just keep his current DC, right?

Yeah why would he get rid of his current dc? They're undefeated

msstate7
10-23-2022, 07:00 PM
I believe that shit. It's like you want us all miserable till Cohen hires a coach you have a man crush on like Mullen or Howland **

Both are available

msstate7
10-23-2022, 07:02 PM
Yeah why would he get rid of his current dc? They're undefeated

11th in sec in total D.

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 07:04 PM
Both are available

I know you would love to have them both back. Although you might be slightly ok with Jans ... at least till he struggles in first couple of years.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 07:04 PM
11th in sec in total D.

He's not firing his dc after a year like this unless they just totally implode and if he did why would someone want to take the job after that? Would make zero sense

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 07:14 PM
He's not firing his dc after a year like this unless they just totally implode and if he did why would someone want to take the job after that? Would make zero sense

I feel a little better after reading Banks' resume, although that was on UT website. This is also only his 2nd year. Don't think Heupel gonna pull any trigger that quick.

ETA: Not to worry tho. 7 will hunt high/low to find someone else that's a blue blood, missing a quality DC, and will contact them shortly. And then make a hypothetical post about it **

msstate7
10-23-2022, 07:30 PM

They're gonna lose in 2 weeks bc they won't be able to stop Georgia.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 07:34 PM
They're gonna lose in 2 weeks bc they won't be able to stop Georgia.

We'll see but let's say they do and go 12-1 this year, he ain't firing his dc.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 07:37 PM
I feel a little better after reading Banks' resume, although that was on UT website. This is also only his 2nd year. Don't think Heupel gonna pull any trigger that quick.

ETA: Not to worry tho. 7 will hunt high/low to find someone else that's a blue blood, missing a quality DC, and will contact them shortly. And then make a hypothetical post about it **

Lol! I like 7 and he's a hard critic but always straight up and he will admit when he's wrong.

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 07:51 PM
Lol! I like 7 and he's a hard critic but always straight up and he will admit when he's wrong.

I like him too and think he's mostly straight up. But when he gets to really liking someone or really disliking someone it can be a one way street, no detours.

Here's my thing ... I don't always like what Leach or team does in game. But ... look at Dabo, Stoops, Clawson, go back to Mullen, Jackie, , etc. All of them really didn't turn corners until year 5 or more.

So let's just get in the cycle of hiring/firing coaches every 3 years cause they ain't winning 9 games in third year at MSU, especially with our Bama, Georgia, Ohio St. like recruiting capability, resources, etc.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 08:04 PM
I like him too and think he's mostly straight up. But when he gets to really liking someone or really disliking someone it can be a one way street, no detours.

Here's my thing ... I don't always like what Leach or team does in game. But ... look at Dabo, Stoops, Clawson, go back to Mullen, Jackie, , etc. All of them really didn't turn corners until year 5 or more.

So let's just get in the cycle of hiring/firing coaches every 3 years cause they ain't winning 9 games in third year at MSU, especially with our Bama, Georgia, Ohio St. like recruiting capability, resources, etc.

Good post. I'm a dinosaur I guess but I also believe stability is the key to building a good program but everyone is into instant gratification now.

Coach34
10-23-2022, 08:14 PM
I've heard the same. He's making a ton of money here and remember with cost of living in Mississippi it's worth even more, he can do his own thing, not a ton of pressure, etc. I've heard hes only interested if it's an HC job but I've heard that before too.

I've also heard Arnett digging the country lifestyle.

Yep. Being the "head coach of defense" is worth staying over making a few hundred thousand somewhere else with crazy expectations

Maverick91
10-23-2022, 08:18 PM
When you get beat on the LOS both offensively and defensively, odds are you ain't going to win.

Honestly last night was pretty even in the trenches. Both sides got pressure and held up evenly. We actually got 40ish more yards rushing than they did.

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 08:19 PM
Yep. Being the "head coach of defense" is worth staying over making a few hundred thousand somewhere else with crazy expectations

Exactly.

Goldendawg
10-23-2022, 09:29 PM

I, of course know no contract or buyout language, but isn't Arnett in year 1 of a 2 year deal?

Todd4State
10-23-2022, 09:50 PM

Looking at their schedule I could see their defense trending positively to end the year although they missed an opportunity to make some gains with UT-Martin. They finish with Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Mizzou, South Carolina, and Georgia. I could definitely see them potentially holding down 3-4 of those offenses to 21 points or less.

yjnkdawg
10-23-2022, 10:50 PM
Om banged up on defense too. Already down one dl for the season and had 2-3 dbs/lbs go out with injuries yesterday. They're defense is undersized and they maybe wearing down.

I want OM to be shell shocked when they experience Kyle Field at night. :)

Commercecomet24
10-23-2022, 11:22 PM
I want OM to be shell shocked when they experience Kyle Field at night. :)

Same here!

NCDawg
10-24-2022, 12:22 AM
Honestly last night was pretty even in the trenches. Both sides got pressure and held up evenly. We actually got 40ish more yards rushing than they did.

If you think the game was pretty even in the trenches, you weren't watching the same game I was.

SilentSteel16
10-24-2022, 01:03 AM

More rushing yards? Clearly it is because we had a mobile QB and they didn’t…….

RezDog7
10-24-2022, 10:30 AM

Allowing a football team that you don't coach or play for control your emotions is more of a reflection of you than the team you cheer for.

msstate7
10-24-2022, 10:42 AM
Allowing a football team that you don't coach or play for control your emotions is more of a reflection of you than the team you cheer for.

Guess you could apply this to basically everything in life. What do we actually have control over?

RezDog7
10-24-2022, 11:00 AM
Guess you could apply this to basically everything in life. What do we actually have control over?

Your own actions and behaviors.

Commercecomet24
10-24-2022, 11:21 AM
Your own actions and behaviors.

Yes, that's really all we can control. We cannot control the intentions or behavior of other people. However, we do determine how we will act.

Maverick91
10-24-2022, 01:27 PM
If you think the game was pretty even in the trenches, you weren't watching the same game I was.

No boss, I think you are one of those people that Leach was talking about where they see Alabama and assume everything they do is just better. We were very even.

State:
2 sacks
9 TFLs
6 QB hurries

Elephants:
4 sacks
6 TFLs
7 QB hurries

I dont think either team ?dominated? on either side of the ball.