PDA

View Full Version : OT - smoking a turkey on a BGE

Harrydawg
11-26-2013, 01:51 PM
I plan to do this for the first time for Thursday. Please give me some pointers if you have any... Temp, time, what do you do prepare the bird etc

Thanks

hometowndawg
11-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Make sure bird is thawed first.
~ 24 hours of thawing for every 4 pounds. that is about a pound per 6 hours
~dont want the egg to get to hot keep it on a low heat
~smoke that sumabitch like snoop

SignalToNoise
11-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Excellence

Bass Chaser
11-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Temp about 225, probably about 30 min per pound, as said above make sure it's thawed.

A lot you can do to prepare the bird up to you. Inject or put a rub on it. Depending on how much of a smokey taste you like you may want to wrap it in foil about half way through.

Barking 13
11-26-2013, 04:17 PM

dude, that might take a couple days....

BeastMan
11-26-2013, 04:27 PM
On our smoker we do 200 F for 6-7.75 hours for a m 11-13 pound bird. Internal temp needs to be 185 F. BGE is probably a bit different though.

Vetdawg32
11-26-2013, 06:39 PM
I plan to do this for the first time for Thursday. Please give me some pointers if you have any... Temp, time, what do you do prepare the bird etc

Thanks

I've smoked a turkey on my BGE the last few years.
Couple of tips:
- Put a few chunks (not chips) of whatever flavor wood you prefer. They smoke longer plus want ruin your next meal because you can take them out.
- keep your grill temp between 225-250 degrees
- like someone else said, plan about 30 minutes per pound
- use place setter with feet up
- add some apple juice to your drip pan. Will keep the bird moist and add more flavor
- find a good herb butter recipe and smear the turkey prior to cooking. Place on top of skin but also between skin and meat. Makes for a crispy skin.
- once you get everything set up and going, open the grill as little as possible. Also, be sure to use enough lump charcoal in the beginning. First time I ever did a turkey, all my charcoal burnt up before it was done and I had to remove the turkey to add more which screwed up my timing
- invest in a good thermometer if you don't have one already