PDA

View Full Version : A quick look at the stats

starkvegasdawg
10-22-2022, 09:52 PM
Besides the only one that counts shows a closer game. We had one more yard in total yards and held them to 29 yards rushing. Also won TOP. Before this game starts if you knew those stats you would have felt pretty good going into the game. Not saying a fairly called game would have made a difference, but I'd like to see it happen just once. Despite all that we left at least 10 points on the field and gave them at least 7 on some questionable 4th down calls. The team didn't come in pissing in their pants scared. They looked focused and ready to play which is surprising considering this past week.

parabrave
10-22-2022, 09:53 PM
Only one stat that matters.

Goldendawg
10-22-2022, 09:59 PM
So, looking at the stats, did we win?***

dawgday166
I was just fixing to post them: https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401403922

With tonight's of officiating, MSU 10-100yds Bama 3-20yds ... pretty even otherwise.

TheLostDawg
Penalties 9-1 until the end of the game. Matt Wyatt mentioned one of the worst missed holding calls he's seen in the first quarter. The next play they score. They didn't call two face mask on them.
You take the second quarter out, it's a good (better) game

TheLostDawg
10-22-2022, 10:01 PM
Once again we can't hit easy fg or even an xp

Commercecomet24
10-22-2022, 10:05 PM
Once again we can't hit easy fg or even an xp

We didn't attempt an xp tonight

starkvegasdawg
10-22-2022, 10:06 PM
So, looking at the stats, did we win?***

No and I'm not blaming it all in the refs. But you have to have your head pretty far up Saban's ass not to admit they had a definite impact on the game. I think if it's called fair it's a 10-12 point game. If it's called fair and we don't step on our dick by missing FG's, dropping touchdown passes, and going for it on our own 30 yard line like we did it's a 4-7 point game. Our defense was able to hold its own out there tonight even with 417 missed holding calls. We got a RB giving his all with a broken nose from a missed call. Our DL can't even look mad at Young without being flagged.

dawgday166
10-22-2022, 10:09 PM
No and I'm not blaming it all in the refs. But you have to have your head pretty far up Saban's ass not to admit they had a definite impact on the game. I think if it's called fair it's a 10-12 point game. If it's called fair and we don't step on our dick by missing FG's, dropping touchdown passes, and going for it on our own 30 yard line like we did it's a 4-7 point game. Our defense was able to hold its own out there tonight even with 417 missed holding calls. We got a RB giving his all with a broken nose from a missed call. Our DL can't even look mad at Young without being flagged.

And we're actually missing our best RB in DJ. IMO he does everything better and especially blocking, than any of the others.

Everyone asks if we win LMFAO. We need to BRING BACK CROOM!!! He's the last coach to win against Saban/Bama.

We might lose all our other game cause CROOM game planned for Bama the entire season.

Goldendawg
10-22-2022, 10:15 PM

I agree to all you said but we couldn't score, again when it counted. Two weeks to get ready for AU. Hail State Always!

Commercecomet24
10-22-2022, 10:15 PM

Great post, brother and accurate!

Tater
10-22-2022, 10:23 PM
Walley Dropped 4th down #1 - cost us potentially 3 to 7 points
Missed Holding - Extended a drive to give them 7
Missed FG - self explanatory
BS RTP #1 - Extended a drive to give them 7
Walley Dropped 4th down #2 - gave short field and another 7
Dropped punt - gave up 3 more points
Tulu Drop - cost us 6 to 8 points
BS RTP #2 - extended a drive for 3 more points

Lot of fixable things. Drops were killer. Refs for Bama are expected. Game was closer than the score but points is all that matters.

Percho
10-22-2022, 10:31 PM
I was just fixing to post them: https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401403922

With tonight's of officiating, MSU 10-100yds Bama 3-20yds ... pretty even otherwise.

And 2 of those 3 with less than 2 min in the game.

Todd4State
10-22-2022, 10:33 PM
Walley Dropped 4th down #1 - cost us potentially 3 to 7 points
Missed Holding - Extended a drive to give them 7
Missed FG - self explanatory
BS RTP #1 - Extended a drive to give them 7
Walley Dropped 4th down #2 - gave short field and another 7
Dropped punt - gave up 3 more points
Tulu Drop - cost us 6 to 8 points
BS RTP #2 - extended a drive for 3 more points

Lot of fixable things. Drops were killer. Refs for Bama are expected. Game was closer than the score but points is all that matters.

It's the same people dropping passes every single time. Guys that some of our fans want to target more and then they don't step up.

The drops have been bad in general. Spurrier and Hollinghead need to prioritize that during the bye week.

Goldendawg
10-22-2022, 10:34 PM
Stats: Just mentioned on SEC Football Final, we threw for less than 4 yards per attempt. Think they said only one completion of more than 20 yards this week and last. We have issues.

dawgday166
10-22-2022, 10:34 PM
And 2 of those 3 with less than 2 min in the game.

Now that Bama has lost one ... the road to the Natty will be covered with the flags against Bama opponents. Except maybe when they whupping someone by 30+ pts.

WhiskeyPirate
10-22-2022, 10:39 PM
Besides the only one that counts shows a closer game. We had one more yard in total yards and held them to 29 yards rushing. Also won TOP. Before this game starts if you knew those stats you would have felt pretty good going into the game. Not saying a fairly called game would have made a difference, but I'd like to see it happen just once. Despite all that we left at least 10 points on the field and gave them at least 7 on some questionable 4th down calls. The team didn't come in pissing in their pants scared. They looked focused and ready to play which is surprising considering this past week.
Exactly right.

WhiskeyPirate
10-22-2022, 10:41 PM
It's the same people dropping passes every single time. Guys that some of our fans want to target more and then they don't step up.

The drops have been bad in general. Spurrier and Hollinghead need to prioritize that during the bye week.

I saw the same thing, Walley and tulu with drops, one of them Walley got alligator arms and was scared to catch the ball over the middle. Rara with a couple of mental errors. Line did pretty well, backs did well, Will didn?t play scared and defense was good. Special teams and receivers did not play well. Overall I think it was a good effort.
Anyone claiming it?s a disaster because we lost on the road to Bama is not very bright

dawgday166
10-22-2022, 10:52 PM
I saw the same thing, Walley and tulu with drops, one of them Walley got alligator arms and was scared to catch the ball over the middle. Rara with a couple of mental errors. Line did pretty well, backs did well, Will didn?t play scared and defense was good. Special teams and receivers did not play well. Overall I think it was a good effort.
Anyone claiming it?s a disaster because we lost on the road to Bama is not very bright

Exactly. Last week I could understand the butthurt and anger. I was pissed too. Tonight tho, I actually had similar feeling as I did in 2013 when we lost 20-7 at our place. With exception of 2nd qtr when some of the very bad and demoralizing officiating occurred, they came out in 2nd half and didn't just throw in the towel ... and they could have.

Not saying we'll bust out in 2023 and go undefeated till we play Bama like in 2014, just saying we kinda kept scrapping tonight pretty good.

Cooterpoot
10-22-2022, 10:55 PM
AL screwed around and went to sleep after they were up 4 scores. We didn't do anything. They just weren't very focused because the game was over. We didn't play well and neither did AL. This is the same team A&M should've beaten and they skull drug us on the scoreboard.

WhiskeyPirate
10-22-2022, 10:56 PM
Exactly. Last week I could understand the butthurt and anger. I was pissed too. Tonight tho, I actually had similar feeling as I did in 2013 when we lost 20-7 at our place. With exception of 2nd qtr when some of the very bad and demoralizing officiating occurred, they came out in 2nd half and didn't just throw in the towel ... and they could have.

Not saying we'll bust out in 2023 and go undefeated till we play Bama like in 2014, just saying we kinda kept scrapping tonight pretty good.

If you look at the cake schedule we will bust out in 2023. Without looking it up something like South Carolina , auburn, Arkansas and tamu for road games and the only tough home game is Bama. We get what lane had this year. 9-10 wins should be there. The naysayers cry about this but it’s the truth.

dawgday166
10-22-2022, 11:18 PM
AL screwed around and went to sleep after they were up 4 scores. We didn't do anything. They just weren't very focused because the game was over. We didn't play well and neither did AL. This is the same team A&M should've beaten and they skull drug us on the scoreboard.

And if A&M had beaten Bama ... TN wouldn't have won last week. They would've gotten tonight's officiating.

WhiskeyPirate
10-22-2022, 11:24 PM
And if A&M had beaten Bama ... TN wouldn't have won last week. They would've gotten tonight's officiating.

It’s obvious isn’t it. How blind do people have to be to not see it. The sec protects it’s ranked teams,bowl representatives and enhanced revenue through officiating. It’s ruining the integrity of the game.

dawgday166
10-22-2022, 11:30 PM
It’s obvious isn’t it. How blind do people have to be to not see it. The sec protects it’s ranked teams,bowl representatives and enhanced revenue through officiating. It’s ruining the integrity of the game.

Been very obvious to me since 2017 and really before too. But 2017 really accentuated it. Bama sells. Saban is very marketable.

I stated in another thread ... SEC needed Bama to win going away against lowly MSU, after losing to TN last week. The score reflects that. Rankings matter. Makes it easier for the "objective" CFP Selection Committee to justify their final rankings.

Commercecomet24
10-22-2022, 11:32 PM
Been very obvious to me since 2017 and really before too. But 2017 really accentuated it. Bama sells. Saban is very marketable.

I stated in another thread ... SEC needed Bama to win going away against lowly MSU, after losing to TN last week. The score reflects that. Rankings matter. Makes it easier for the "objective" CFP Selection Committee to justify their final rankings.

And they beat a ranked State team going away, very good optics for bama.

dawgday166
10-22-2022, 11:35 PM
And they beat a ranked State team going away, very good optics for bama.

That too. I gotta spread more rep around tho LOL.

WhiskeyPirate
10-22-2022, 11:38 PM

Yes it’s scripted and the tv networks are part of the conglomerate, television revenue. It’s like tonight, Herbstreit and his narratives about Alabama while ignoring obvious face masks the viewer at home could see. Or the two hand touch rules with Bryce are ignored like they are normal, even though he is a former player and knows this is not legal or normal.

It’s scripted to a certain extent, and anyone denying this is either not very honest or just not very bright. It sucks because college football was one of the last great amateur sports.

dawgday166
10-22-2022, 11:45 PM
Yes it’s scripted and the tv networks are part of the conglomerate, television revenue. It’s like tonight, Herbstreit and his narratives about Alabama while ignoring obvious face masks the viewer at home could see. Or the two hand touch rules with Bryce are ignored like they are normal, even though he is a former player and knows this is not legal or normal.

It’s scripted to a certain extent, and anyone denying this is either not very honest or just not very bright. It sucks because college football was one of the last great amateur sports.

Slightly different way to how you phrased it in your previous post ... it isn't ruining the integrity of game, instead IMO it has ruined it.

I really didn't expect to come out and scrap with Bama like we did in the beginning due to talent gap.

But I said to myself if we did, refs would start helping them so the score would appear very comfortable and easy. I mean ... I literally thought this before the game. I got this shit down pat almost. That's why I wasn't blowing my stack over it. Just shrugged and said "that's the World we live in" ... in even more ways (that ain't CFB) but just like this too.

ScoobaDawg
10-22-2022, 11:47 PM
We didn't attempt an xp in 8 years

FIFY

Goldendawg
10-22-2022, 11:49 PM

So it's like 'rassling?*

dawgday166
10-22-2022, 11:53 PM
So it's like 'rassling?*

Mostly. Not all. Just critical games that impact (our could impact) overall end-of-season CFP rankings scenario.

WhiskeyPirate
10-23-2022, 12:05 AM
Mostly. Not all. Just critical games that impact (our could impact) overall end-of-season CFP rankings scenario.

It’s subtle, they do it with subjective calls to keep drives going and control momentum, PI, Holding and personal fouls. I watched ole miss and they had three drives where they would have been stopped but the officials intervened to keep the drives going. Three PIs early first quarter, two were legit, one was a fraud. Six minutes into the third quarter a phantom defensive holding call against LSU away from the ball, third was instead of off setting penalties on a personal foul but it was only called on LSU. LSU just dominated and spdestroyed them so the officials could not control the outcome but you could see they were intervening early. What is scary is if they were getting some favored calls on the road at LSU....we are going to get screwed royally at Ole Miss and will need to beat them badly to get out of there with a win unless ole miss drops a bunch of games and is no longer highly ranked.

Look at our game against a and m, late in that game the officials intervened to slow us down from what could have been an embarrassing blowout, I mean 55 points, they rained flags and gifted ags a Td late. That wasn’t legitimate in any way.

Tonight it was absurd. We probably aren’t capable of beating Bama on the road but the game could have been closer. Are two hand touch rules ok because Bryce has a bad shoulder and Bama is a playoff team it’s already been decided ?

There is an article by former vp of nfl officiating where calls sec officials out for outright cheating and fraud.

NCDawg
10-23-2022, 12:18 AM

The beat us on the LOS on offense and defense. Young had all the time in the world while Rogers was rushed to get off his passes. Our tackles especially had a tough game.

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 12:21 AM
It’s subtle, they do it with subjective calls to keep drives going and control momentum, PI, Holding and personal fouls. I watched ole miss and they had three drives where they would have been stopped but the officials intervened to keep the drives going. Three PIs early first quarter, two were legit, one was a fraud. Six minutes into the third quarter a phantom defensive holding call against LSU away from the ball, third was instead of off setting penalties on a personal foul but it was only called on LSU. LSU just dominated and spdestroyed them so the officials could not control the outcome but you could see they were intervening early. What is scary is if they were getting some favored calls on the road at LSU....we are going to get screwed royally at Ole Miss and will need to beat them badly to get out of there with a win unless ole miss drops a bunch of games and is no longer highly ranked.

Look at our game against a and m, late in that game the officials intervened to slow us down from what could have been an embarrassing blowout, I mean 55 points, they rained flags and gifted ags a Td late. That wasn’t legitimate in any way.

Tonight it was absurd. We probably aren’t capable of beating Bama on the road but the game could have been closer. Are two hand touch rules ok because Bryce has a bad shoulder and Bama is a playoff team it’s already been decided ?

There is an article by former vp of nfl officiating where calls sec officials out for outright cheating and fraud.

They do try to make it subtle as you describe. But in last 7 or so years it's become so obvious to me. I mean, back in 80's and 90's calls were missed occasionally and sometimes fans could see it on instant replay. But those almost always were very close calls and officials didn't have instant replay.

Now, they don't get instant replay right at times when it counts. Or .. they don't review it when it should be reviewed. Like in our 2018 game against Bama on their 1st two TD drives in the 1st qtr I believe (I think they scored TDs on their 1st 2 drives). They fumbled and we recovered on both of those drives. Then there was the phantom block in the back call too.

WhiskeyPirate
10-23-2022, 12:24 AM
They do try to make it subtle as you describe. But in last 7 or so years it's become so obvious to me. I mean, back in 80's and 90's calls were missed occasionally and sometimes fans could see it on instant replay. But those almost always were very close calls and officials didn't have instant replay.

Now, they don't get instant replay right at times when it counts. Or .. they don't review it when it should be reviewed. Like in our 2018 game against Bama on their 1st two TD drives in the 1st qtr I believe (I think they scored TDs on their 1st 2 drives). They fumbled and we recovered on both of those drives. Then there was the phantom block in the back call too.
I’m seeing the same things you are, and as you mentioned it’s not just football.
You have to be blind not to see some of this.

Quaoarsking
10-23-2022, 12:27 AM
College football would be MUCH better off to have the whole Power 5 merge into a new organization with a strong focus on making talent and schedule strength as equal as they can, and with an objective system to determines who goes to a larger playoff. Take any incentives away like we see with conferences protecting their best teams.

WhiskeyPirate
10-23-2022, 12:36 AM
One more story, several years ago when Texas was a NC contender and the big 12s bowl representative , late in the year they were playing on the road at Kansas, I think Mangono was the coach. Kansas somehow was beating them badly, it got late in the game and the big 12 officials went nuts. Every kind of PI call you could imagine going against Kansas and just took them out of the game, offensively and defensively. It was probably the most crooked game I had ever seen, up until the last year or two in the sec, maybe the worst ever.

They were not going to let Kansas knock their big 12 champion out of the national bowl picture. Kansas was of course a crap program/team.

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 12:36 AM
I’m seeing the same things you are, and as you mentioned it’s not just football.
You have to be blind not to see some of this.

I've gotten so used to it I don't even get pissed anymore.

I will admit tho that when Bama loses a close one like against TN then Bammer Nation blows up crying on social media about the refs ... WTF. And then Saban chimes in too. They got 327 or so Nattys, win all the time, have all the recruiting advantages, etc. and even if it is a one sided officiated game against Bama, just congratulate TN (or say nothing) and move on. Especially when they should know they will still win the West, and get a shot at CFP and Natty. Instead, they act like they just suffered through a 2-10 season.

ETA: I had Bama friends acting like their spouse had died or they just found out their spouse was screwing around on them. SMFH.

Apoplectic
10-23-2022, 12:37 AM
Will was in down 30-0 - WE ARE PATHETIC

ScoobaDawg
10-23-2022, 12:41 AM
No worries. Will is the 2nd fastest to 1k receptions. behind another Leach Qb...

It's his system. It doesn't make him good.

WhiskeyPirate
10-23-2022, 12:43 AM

I will admit tho that when Bama loses a close one like against TN then Bammer Nation blows up crying on social media about the refs ... WTF. And then Saban chimes in too. They got 327 or so Nattys, win all the time, have all the recruiting advantages, etc. and even if it is a one sided officiated game against Bama, just congratulate TN (or say nothing) and move on. Especially when they should know they will still win the West, and get a shot at CFP and Natty. Instead, they act like they just suffered through a 2-10 season.
I don’t think Saban is necessarily the greatest coach ever, maybe he was the best organizer or corporate program builder when he started at Alabama, but really if you allowed any number of coaches to have a monopoly on five star talent two deep on both sides of the ball with friendly officiating and media coverage, well I think there are several that could duplicate what he’s done.

He’s a smart guy and a great coach but how would he do with States roster or Oklahoma States roster and limited funds ?

The truest measure of a coach is what he gets out of his talent. It’s akin to Bobby Knight beating the daylights out of Syracuse or UNLV when they have 4 nba high round draft picks and he’s got three star kids from small towns who are really well,coached.

Goldendawg
10-23-2022, 12:45 AM
I don’t think Saban is necessarily the greatest coach ever, maybe he was the best organizer or corporate program builder when he started at Alabama, but really if you allowed any number of coaches to have a monopoly on five star talent two deep on both sides of the ball with friendly officiating and media coverage, well I think there are several that could duplicate what he’s done.

He’s a smart guy and a great coach but how would he do with States roster or Oklahoma States roster and limited funds ?

The truest measure of a coach is what he gets out of his talent. It’s akin to Bobby Knight beating the daylights out of Syracuse or UNLV when they have 4 nba high round draft picks and he’s got three star kids from small towns who are really well,coached.

Qr with the Miami Dolphins talent?

WhiskeyPirate
10-23-2022, 12:45 AM
Qr with the Miami Dolphins talent?

Right

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 12:47 AM

I agree. Have some rep.

I don't think, as Bum Phillips said about Bear, "he can take his'n and beat your'n, and your'n and beat his'n".

Ever listen to his old assistants talk about their lunch time hoops games with Saban. He made the rules, changed the rules in-game, and always won.

He almost has CFB setup like that too LOL.

WhiskeyPirate
10-23-2022, 12:55 AM
Yep, and that’s one reason I have a lot of respect for Leach. People are going to have to be patient and NIl might get in the way, but I’ve seen him take 2 and 3 star left overs that nobody wanted and just embarrass teams that are loaded with four and five star players like Texas, USC and Oregon. He gets the most out of his talent and is very good at building a program. He’s also very ethical and honest.

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 01:01 AM
Whiskey ... I gotta spread some rep before I can give it to you again. Especially on the ethical & honest part IMO.

Todd4State
10-23-2022, 01:41 AM

Look at Saban at Michigan State and you'll get your answer I think.

I'm not sure that he has that monopoly going right now- at least I think it's more difficult. You can show me recruiting rankings but their recruits absolutely get the "Bama bump". I think NIL and some of his assistants like Kirby Smart leaving as well as losing Scott Cochrane has taken it's toll or will over time.

They just seem to be more beatable than they have in years. More like early 1990's Alabama.

Todd4State
10-23-2022, 01:45 AM

ETA: I had Bama friends acting like their spouse had died or they just found out their spouse was screwing around on them. SMFH.

I have to spread some rep before giving it to you again.

I do think an expanded playoff may help us in this regard. That and potential to get Bama off of our schedule every year will be good for us after Texas and Oklahoma come on board in the SEC.

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 03:09 AM
I have to spread some rep before giving it to you again.

I do think an expanded playoff may help us in this regard. That and potential to get Bama off of our schedule every year will be good for us after Texas and Oklahoma come on board in the SEC.

Maybe. But Bama can also lose 2 and would get in then also. It could help bring about a less orchestrated regular season tho.

I also think they need to come back with some computer algorithms similar to the BCS that choose the teams. The "objective" CFP Selection Process is BS IMO.

dawgday166
10-23-2022, 03:12 AM
Look at Saban at Michigan State and you'll get your answer I think.

I'm not sure that he has that monopoly going right now- at least I think it's more difficult. You can show me recruiting rankings but their recruits absolutely get the "Bama bump". I think NIL and some of his assistants like Kirby Smart leaving as well as losing Scott Cochrane has taken it's toll or will over time.

They just seem to be more beatable than they have in years. More like early 1990's Alabama.

True ... that's why they need mo hep from the refs. Saban hasn't had a D close to the ones with Kirby since 2016. Kirby has Ds like that now tho.

Todd4State
10-23-2022, 03:21 AM
Maybe. But Bama can also lose 2 and would get in then also. It could help bring about a less orchestrated regular season tho.

I also think they need to come back with some computer algorithms similar to the BCS that choose the teams. The "objective" CFP Selection Process is BS IMO.

I agree. And in about 10 years we're going to be thanking Mark Keenum for getting the playoff expanded.

True ... that's why they need mo hep from the refs. Saban hasn't had a D close to the ones with Kirby since 2016. Kirby has Ds like that now tho.

Exactly. Although I think it's also showing up on the offensive side of the ball too. They don't have WR's like they once did and they've had to go to the portal to get Gibbs.

basedog
10-23-2022, 06:58 AM
Saban being 70 is like all senior citizens, "we" lose a step or two and we ain't want we use to be. Saban has proven himself; he has nothing to prove except losing a game or two.

I have to laugh at some of the post about him. Bama and Saban are the perfect match, it's the reason both are great in football.