PDA

View Full Version : Operating within NIL with the losest budget... Focus

BlackSailsDawg
10-20-2022, 12:28 PM
Reading and looking at comments had me looking up the landscape more.

HS students are now getting NIL money. If what I have read is right, Manning is making more than Bryce Young. In fact, the 2 highest NIL deals are HS players. We have options. Try to throw it all at a few in hopes to get them OR go after Roster players who are stuck behind higher talent.

There are ZERO rules in place to stop collectives from doing that. In fact, I do not see how a LAW can stop it because a Scholarship is not a binding contract over several years nor can anybody stop a kid from seeking or entertaining a NIL endorsement. Not even the College. (at least not that I can find)

So rather than throw 250K at a star or 1 million at a star, Throw part of it towards HS players that we have a shot at and simply RAID 4 and 5 stars having to sit on the bench behind other players. Look at TAMU. Those highly recruited and paid for players are being forced to play. That means those older classes are benched because Mr Oil Money is not having his investment on the bench. So go raid what you need plus a few with the Nil money.

One thing is for certain, we are not out bidding Bama and TMU on players. We will not be able to compete with ARK money either. BUT while they are buying all the HS talent, we can raid.

Example. Bama has 5 five stars and 14 four stars in this class alone. Every year it is the same thing. And there is no way they can play them all. Kristian Story is a great recruit that has not seen action and is a SO... will be a JR next season. Pay him! He is buried in the roster. Another need is linebackers Stuck behind Dallas Tuner is Quandarrius Robinson (not seen the field unless ST), Kendrick Blackshire is in the same boat. They are in the same class. There are 6 4 or 5 stars behind them too... You can not convince me that these all can not see the writing on the wall.

RAID THEM... They will come!

WhiskeyPirate
10-20-2022, 12:44 PM
You run into member institution bylaws with scholarships. I’m not sure I’m understanding you correctly. You would still have to follow the portal rules and yes you can contact them but I would imagine you would have to offer them nil money along with PT. Otherwise I agree with you, we can’t go head to head with the big boys but we can raid their rosters.

Interesting spin some “influencers” were trying to put on this. We don’t have any NIL money all because of Leach. LOL. Bullshit. It doesn’t matter who the coach is, we are going to be behind the financial eight ball. Billionaire/corporate boosters seem to be in short supply.

In the NIL era, I could see coaches weighing institutional NIL money before accepting the job. Old landscape : Texas tech and Illinois are crap jobs, new landscape....they are much more attractive due to oil money, corporate sponsors etc...

BlackSailsDawg
10-20-2022, 12:53 PM
You run into member institution bylaws with scholarships. I’m not sure I’m understanding you correctly. You would still have to follow the portal rules and yes you can contact them but I would imagine you would have to offer them nil money along with PT. Otherwise I agree with you, we can’t go head to head with the big boys but we can raid their rosters.

Interesting spin some “influencers” were trying to put on this. We don’t have any NIL money all because of Leach. LOL. Bullshit. It doesn’t matter who the coach is, we are going to be behind the financial eight ball. Billionaire/corporate boosters seem to be in short supply.

In the NIL era, I could see coaches weighing institutional NIL money before accepting the job. Old landscape : Texas tech and Illinois are crap jobs, new landscape....they are much more attractive due to oil money, corporate sponsors etc...

What I mean is the "collective" approaches the Roster Recruit. He would have to enter the portal and then we sign him with the NIL money. I think this is the way to getting 12 to 16 four Stars.

WhiskeyPirate
10-20-2022, 12:58 PM
What I mean is the "collective" approaches the Roster Recruit. He would have to enter the portal and then we sign him with the NIL money. I think this is the way to getting 12 to 16 four Stars.

Yes assuming we have a collective that’s a good strategy. Do we have the means to form a collective ?

Maverick91
10-20-2022, 03:01 PM
One major issue I am having with this NIL and portal stuff is FIT. Each team, school, roster, fan base everyone has their own culture and that culture changes year over year. I think you can plug and play some key positions but bringing in whole swaths of players can really hurt the culture of the team. Outside of what seems to the crazy working for pissville U I just don?t see it working longterm.

Catfish
10-20-2022, 03:14 PM
One major issue I am having with this NIL and portal stuff is FIT. Each team, school, roster, fan base everyone has their own culture and that culture changes year over year. I think you can plug and play some key positions but bringing in whole swaths of players can really hurt the culture of the team. Outside of what seems to the crazy working for pissville U I just don?t see it working longterm.

Winning takes care of everything.

Goldendawg
10-20-2022, 06:55 PM
Reading and looking at comments had me looking up the landscape more.

HS students are now getting NIL money. If what I have read is right, Manning is making more than Bryce Young. In fact, the 2 highest NIL deals are HS players. We have options. Try to throw it all at a few in hopes to get them OR go after Roster players who are stuck behind higher talent.

There are ZERO rules in place to stop collectives from doing that. In fact, I do not see how a LAW can stop it because a Scholarship is not a binding contract over several years nor can anybody stop a kid from seeking or entertaining a NIL endorsement. Not even the College. (at least not that I can find)

So rather than throw 250K at a star or 1 million at a star, Throw part of it towards HS players that we have a shot at and simply RAID 4 and 5 stars having to sit on the bench behind other players. Look at TAMU. Those highly recruited and paid for players are being forced to play. That means those older classes are benched because Mr Oil Money is not having his investment on the bench. So go raid what you need plus a few with the Nil money.

One thing is for certain, we are not out bidding Bama and TMU on players. We will not be able to compete with ARK money either. BUT while they are buying all the HS talent, we can raid.

Example. Bama has 5 five stars and 14 four stars in this class alone. Every year it is the same thing. And there is no way they can play them all. Kristian Story is a great recruit that has not seen action and is a SO... will be a JR next season. Pay him! He is buried in the roster. Another need is linebackers Stuck behind Dallas Tuner is Quandarrius Robinson (not seen the field unless ST), Kendrick Blackshire is in the same boat. They are in the same class. There are 6 4 or 5 stars behind them too... You can not convince me that these all can not see the writing on the wall.

RAID THEM... They will come!

What makes you think the bama 4 and 5 stars that have yet to see the field don't already have excellent NIL deals when recruited and/or also paid well to wait their turn to play?

WhiskeyPirate
10-20-2022, 06:59 PM
What makes you think the bama 4 and 5 stars that have yet to see the field don't already have excellent NIL deals when recruited and/or also paid well to wait their turn to play?

The counter to that would be players whose goal it is to play in the nfl and earn even more money. NIL for four years and sitting the bench vs NIL and catching a whole bunch of passes in front of nfl scouts.

BlackSailsDawg
10-20-2022, 08:25 PM

Marcus Banks