PDA

View Full Version : "They offered him 1 Million to Transfer" THIS is what we are fighting

BlackSailsDawg
10-19-2022, 11:42 AM
Utah AD Mark Harlan: "We had a player who was offered, I believe, about a million dollars to pull him over to another team by a collective. I called that AD and had a discussion, right? And he's frustrated. Everybody's frustrated. Because this was a friend. It was a friendly call. It was just to say, listen, it happened. My colleague was-- embarrassed is not the right word, but he was frustrated."

They gone on to talk about BC WR that was offered 600K by a collective to transfer.

https://sports.yahoo.com/utah-ad-says-nil-collective-210355200.html

Now let's be honest, we don't have that kind of money. We don't have those collectives. And we will get raided at some point. Ark, say what you want how they were this or that, but that have the money! From Tyson to Waltons to Jerry and more. They have the mega dollars.

I remember reading our writers say it won't change anything in the pecking order and it will be the same. No it won't be.

RezDog7
10-19-2022, 11:58 AM
Utah AD Mark Harlan: "We had a player who was offered, I believe, about a million dollars to pull him over to another team by a collective. I called that AD and had a discussion, right? And he's frustrated. Everybody's frustrated. Because this was a friend. It was a friendly call. It was just to say, listen, it happened. My colleague was-- embarrassed is not the right word, but he was frustrated."

They gone on to talk about BC WR that was offered 600K by a collective to transfer.

https://sports.yahoo.com/utah-ad-says-nil-collective-210355200.html

Now let's be honest, we don't have that kind of money. We don't have those collectives. And we will get raided at some point. Ark, say what you want how they were this or that, but that have the money! From Tyson to Waltons to Jerry and more. They have the mega dollars.

I remember reading our writers say it won't change anything in the pecking order and it will be the same. No it won't be.

From what I've read on this board, we don't have a player that can start for another SEC team, so we good.

Cooterpoot
10-19-2022, 12:00 PM
I'm really not concerned right now.

DownwardDawg
10-19-2022, 12:44 PM
Weather the storm. This isn't sustainable by any means and it shows a lack of leadership in college football that we're in this position. It'll all change in a few years.

Maverick91
10-19-2022, 12:46 PM
Weather the storm. This isn't sustainable by any means and it shows a lack of leadership in college football that we're in this position. It'll all change in a few years.

Agreed! I know the NCAA is trash but they have to be working on correcting the Wild West that they currently allowed.

BlackSailsDawg
10-19-2022, 12:57 PM

At what cost to our standing?

I believe the best way to navigate it is to be steady in staff and hit the portal hard.

WhiskeyPirate
10-19-2022, 01:04 PM

Correct. As of right now I think we are the poorest smallest budget team in the league or damn close to it. If this doesn’t change Leach and anybody else you can get to come here is going to fail, some worse than others.
Prior to nil you could overcome that like Mullen did and leach probably would have, I don’t think you can do it now the way it is.

Matt3467
10-19-2022, 01:15 PM
I don't get the faith some have in the NCAA to fix this. Most didn't have faith in them before this mess so why now? I don't see this being rolled back. Not only are players being bought openly now but being able to play right away after transferring was a mistake.

Catfish
10-19-2022, 01:18 PM
The only way to help schools like us is to limit the number of times players can transfer.

WhiskeyPirate
10-19-2022, 01:19 PM
The only way to help schools like us is to limit the number of times players can transfer.

That would help but minimally. To get the kids in the first place, before a transfer you are still going to need nil money....which we don’t have.

PikeDawg15
10-19-2022, 01:22 PM
Correct. As of right now I think we are the poorest smallest budget team in the league or damn close to it. If this doesn’t change Leach and anybody else you can get to come here is going to fail, some worse than others.
Prior to nil you could overcome that like Mullen did and leach probably would have, I don’t think you can do it now the way it is.

Im not advocating for this .

BUT if the problem is talent and we get to a point where we are sure it wont work.

Call Deion Sanders.

gtowndawg
10-19-2022, 01:23 PM

I tend to agree with this BUT I have joined the NIL in the meantime to be safe. It's not much money but I'm switching by Bulldog Club dollars to NIL for now.

Johnson85
10-19-2022, 01:24 PM

That won't help us unless we successfully lure people here with their last transfer.

If anything, we'd probably benefit more from somebody that transferred to a blue blood and couldn't cut it and wants to transfer for immediate playing time. Won't help us against the blue bloods but would at least give us an additional edge over G5 schools.

msu15
10-19-2022, 01:25 PM

BUT if the problem is talent and we get to a point where we are sure it wont work.

Call Deion Sanders.

Co-signed

HancockCountyDog
10-19-2022, 01:26 PM
I understand that overall it is a huge problem for us.

Another problem is rushing the ball 7 times against Kentucky.

One has nothing to do with the other.

WhiskeyPirate
10-19-2022, 01:30 PM

Call Deion Sanders.
That might get some talent in the south East, but it may not if this is all nil cash dependent. Deion isn’t going to have any more money than any coach we can hire without boosters. Long term trend is doormat with middle of the pack every 3-4 years if you have someone that can coach them up. Old standard was middle of the pack and really good year every 4 years.

Worst case scenario is someone who can’t coach them up with subpar talent.

Honestly some of the posts I see on the other boards are delusional. They haven’t even conceived of what is going on.

BlackSailsDawg
10-19-2022, 01:50 PM

Call Deion Sanders.

Sanders got the #1 recruit in the USA and it was due to MONEY!

BlackSailsDawg
10-19-2022, 01:51 PM
That won't help us unless we successfully lure people here with their last transfer.

If anything, we'd probably benefit more from somebody that transferred to a blue blood and couldn't cut it and wants to transfer for immediate playing time. Won't help us against the blue bloods but would at least give us an additional edge over G5 schools.

Yep like Banks and Greene.

BlackSailsDawg
10-19-2022, 01:53 PM
I understand that overall it is a huge problem for us.

Another problem is rushing the ball 7 times against Kentucky.

One has nothing to do with the other.

You are right. In addition to those problems, it would help if your 2 starting RBs don't go down to injury along with the starting center that forces a reshuffle in the OL. Think that might have played a part?

BulldogBear
10-19-2022, 02:05 PM
They can start by reducing football schollies by 12-15 and giving them to other sports. You'd be surprised how far that would go to produce parity, NIL be damned.

WhiskeyPirate
10-19-2022, 02:07 PM
They can start by reducing football schollies by 12-15 and giving them to other sports. You'd be surprised how far that would go to produce parity, NIL be damned.

That would help a great deal but with the greed of the NCAA and billions of dollars involved they will never do it.

Maroonthirteen
10-19-2022, 03:12 PM
So which is it.....

"They offered him 1 Million to Transfer" then "We had a player who was offered, I believe, about a million dollars"

So he doesn't know for sure. Anyways, I get it. Not the point. However you have to know these things for sure. Gather evidence and turn them in to stop it.

R2Dawg
10-19-2022, 03:23 PM
I don't get the faith some have in the NCAA to fix this. Most didn't have faith in them before this mess so why now? I don't see this being rolled back. Not only are players being bought openly now but being able to play right away after transferring was a mistake.

I think the market will take of it. There isn't enough money to keep this balloon going forever. The bottom will hit before long. There will always be the few that get bought away, legal or illegal.

Lord McBuckethead
10-19-2022, 03:31 PM

I mean, look at this thing from a legal standpoint.... Every single student on campus can make money anyway they see fit, as long as it is legal. I or any other business owner in this country could give a student 500k to attend their school, if they wanted. Every student in academic good standing can legally play sports as long as their eligibility has not been used up and they can pass a physical, correct?

The amateur model was fantastic, when schools had club teams and met other club teams to play in front of maybe 200 other students. It did not work well when colleges were getting checks cut from ESPN for 60 million a year. The NCAA should have put into place a system where athletes get a share of those dollars, say 30% spread out over the entire team across all sports. Equal for everyone involved. How many student athletes do we have on campus, 350? You take 18 million and divide it by 350 and you get $51,428 dollars per scholarship athlete. You could even weight it for football, but you would have to offer 85 female athletes the same cash to be equal for title iX. That would have solved all of these issues, and the money would be public knowledge. It would force TV contracts to be more equally divided between the major 5 conferences too. Larger schools would have a disadvantage, as they have more student athletes because they compete in more things, like LSU, BAMA, Auburn, and UF.

But no, they refused until forced by the courts. Now we all have to live with the school's greed and its consequences to the entire NCAA system.

Lord McBuckethead
10-19-2022, 03:34 PM
I think the market will take of it. There isn't enough money to keep this balloon going forever. The bottom will hit before long. There will always be the few that get bought away, legal or illegal.

Yes there is. You do realize that schools have legit Billionaires bank rolling these things? I am not even sure most people realize how much money a Billion Dollars is. They would make 30 million if one billion earns 3% return. That is 30 million dollar check, per year, without even touching the principle balance. Capital gains taxes not withstanding.

Lord McBuckethead
10-19-2022, 03:34 PM
So which is it.....

"They offered him 1 Million to Transfer" then "We had a player who was offered, I believe, about a million dollars"

So he doesn't know for sure. Anyways, I get it. Not the point. However you have to know these things for sure. Gather evidence and turn them in to stop it.

Well you could require a copy of their taxes?

Bass Chaser
10-19-2022, 07:47 PM
The NCAA can’t fix this. Each state has their own NIL statutes. That’s where the problem lies.

NYDawg
10-20-2022, 08:05 AM

Right. The brain trust that created this situation isn't going to solve it. At most, they'll adopt some half-ass policy that they can spin but doesn't actually accomplish squat, and they'll look the other way when the money guys thumb their noses at them.

Saltydog
10-20-2022, 08:14 AM
I think it should be a combination of limiting the transfers and reducing schollies......That would make a huge impact for schools like us..........

Catfish
10-20-2022, 08:15 AM
I think it should be a combination of limiting the transfers and reducing schollies......That would make a huge impact for schools like us..........

BINGO!!!!!

magrooder
10-20-2022, 11:07 AM
Wasn't this created by the players suing to get their "just payments"? If the NCAA starts to restrict how the players NIL pay is provided I would think it will be right back in court again so they can get what they want.

Offshore Dawg
10-20-2022, 12:57 PM
At what cost to our standing?

I believe the best way to navigate it is to be steady in staff and hit the portal hard.
Hit the portal hard WITH WHAT Dawgs still short a few million

Saltydog
10-20-2022, 06:04 PM
No they essentially can't fix the NIL itself but they have opportunities to make a dent in it and help level the playing field by placing restrictions on transfers and reducing schollies. We'd dang sure have more parity.

maroonmania
10-20-2022, 07:03 PM
NIL has never been about paying someone for name, image, likeness but has always been about college players having the ability to earn money (big money) for playing college football. Was pretty easy to see that there is no infrastructure in place to enforce things to happen any other way. Toothpaste is out of the tube now.

WhiskeyPirate
10-20-2022, 07:20 PM
NIL has never been about paying someone for name, image, likeness but has always been about college players having the ability to earn money (big money) for playing college football. Was pretty easy to see that there is no infrastructure in place to enforce things to happen any other way. Toothpaste is out of the tube now.

Exactly. The name image likeness was a clever legal trick.

NYDawg
10-20-2022, 07:55 PM
Wasn't this created by the players suing to get their "just payments"? If the NCAA starts to restrict how the players NIL pay is provided I would think it will be right back in court again so they can get what they want.

Pretty much. Alston was a brutal opinion for the NCAA, and even though the writing was clearly on the wall, the NCAA failed to see it. So now they could try to limit some of this, and they could probably make some of it stick, but now they know that the 1984 Regents dicta they threw in everyone's face for 30+ years isn't going to help much if a comprehensive antitrust challenge comes before the Supreme Court. Given some of the language in the Alston opinion and concurrence, even restricting transfers could be problematic if they're not careful.

The only practical ways to get to any sort of sensible amateurism model is to amend the Sherman Act to include a limited statutory antitrust exemption (not happening, though this is probably what they are hoping to get by unleashing the NIL wild west) or, as some recommended even before the O'Bannon lawsuit was filed, fundamentally abandoning the NCAA in favor of a governmental/quasi-governmental entity (i.e., moving many of its functions away from an SRO controlled completely by the member schools), and that won't fly for financial and other reasons. I just don't see Emmert or anyone the powers that be choose to replace him being able to fix it in any meaningful way. It'll be window dressing at best, and those who've skirted the rules for decades will find ways around it or challenge it outright, knowing that the NCAA can't risk litigation that could be a knockout blow to their monopsony.

Cowbell
10-20-2022, 10:07 PM

The market won't slow due to lack of money. It will slow due to lack of ROI.... just ask the Aggie's...

bulldawg28
10-21-2022, 06:44 AM
The market won't slow due to lack of money. It will slow due to lack of ROI.... just ask the Aggie's...

This!

confucius say
10-21-2022, 09:33 AM

Yet we still have people complain about being a 7-5 program against the toughest sec schedule in the league.

Commercecomet24
10-21-2022, 09:39 AM

This 100%

Commercecomet24
10-21-2022, 09:43 AM
I mean, look at this thing from a legal standpoint.... Every single student on campus can make money anyway they see fit, as long as it is legal. I or any other business owner in this country could give a student 500k to attend their school, if they wanted. Every student in academic good standing can legally play sports as long as their eligibility has not been used up and they can pass a physical, correct?

The amateur model was fantastic, when schools had club teams and met other club teams to play in front of maybe 200 other students. It did not work well when colleges were getting checks cut from ESPN for 60 million a year. The NCAA should have put into place a system where athletes get a share of those dollars, say 30% spread out over the entire team across all sports. Equal for everyone involved. How many student athletes do we have on campus, 350? You take 18 million and divide it by 350 and you get $51,428 dollars per scholarship athlete. You could even weight it for football, but you would have to offer 85 female athletes the same cash to be equal for title iX. That would have solved all of these issues, and the money would be public knowledge. It would force TV contracts to be more equally divided between the major 5 conferences too. Larger schools would have a disadvantage, as they have more student athletes because they compete in more things, like LSU, BAMA, Auburn, and UF.

But no, they refused until forced by the courts. Now we all have to live with the school's greed and its consequences to the entire NCAA system.

Greed is ultimately what brings down things just such as this.