PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday hope stats edition

Maverick91
10-19-2022, 09:24 AM
I know this was last year, I know this was played at home. But it is still very interesting to look at and see how close we were to being somewhat competitive.

I honestly don?t even pay attention to 2020 due to the fact that was Rogers like 2nd start and that was arguably bamas best team they have fielded to me.

Yeah we got ransacked last year in our backyard. Sucked, sucks every time! But there is some interesting things to look at stats wise to say that we actually werent to terribly off from making it a game for at least a quarter or two. And I dont know how much stock you can put into emotion swings if you do score a TD compared to FG, but I know it?s there.

1. Will was 35-55 for 300 yards. Anytime you can throw 300 yards on bama you have at the very least a moral victory. The issue was not just his interceptions it was what those interceptions stole from State.
2. Total plays ran was 71 I think 71 plays ran verse bama is a pretty solid number considering we probably would have been closer to 80 without three picks. Just have to capitalize on them.
3. We had 9 drives in the game three resulting in FG.
- 3 resulting in interceptions.
- 3 punts
4. Let?s talk about these interceptions.
- 1st one was on our first drive. We throw a pick while we are driving on their 35 yard line. Could have been a field goal forbid we get a TD on that drive.
- 2nd we throw a pick on like our 20 yard line and they return for TD.
-3rd we were at their 25 yard line and throw a pick.
Could have been another FG gasp possibly TD.

Each interception happened deep in their territory or resulted in a TD. Remove those interceptions and the momentum swings that come from them. I AM NOT SAYING THAT WE WIN but it is probably a more competitive game for a quarter or two.

I think if the average State fan would have been told before that game that we throw for 300 yards and have over 70 plays and 5 of our drives make it to striking distance we would have been somewhat hopeful for the outcome.

Now talking about this year, I think everyone will say that our ceiling is much higher than what we were putting on the field last year. And that bama is not as good as bama last year. AGAIN I AM NOT SAYING THAT WE WIN THIS GAME. I am saying that if we come in focused and play sound disciplined football, I do not think there is a reason why we couldn?t give them a game.

Just praying things mentally click for this team. They have to become more emotionally mature, and learn to play at their level. Praying that happens this week!

HAILSTATE