PDA

View Full Version : Another blunder by our athletic department

bully99
11-26-2013, 12:15 PM
So we're playing a basketball game on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving at 1 pm in the middle of the day after students have gone home. Faculty and staff get in free but general public has to pay. Why in the hell don't they just throw open the doors and allow everybody in for free. Make some money on concessions and get people on campus who might otherwise not go to the game against a swac team. Boy, I bet people are rushing to pay to watch this gem. Time for a new direction in our athletic department.

Coach34
11-26-2013, 12:20 PM
We dont get the money from concessions- the Lions Club or some shit does...another change we need to make

CadaverDawg
11-26-2013, 12:24 PM
It's going to look like a USM football game in there. Sucks that Malik will be visiting that day.

ScottH
11-26-2013, 12:33 PM
If there is not more to the story it is a bizarre decision.

coastdoglover
11-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Malik ain't coming, forget it!

smootness
11-26-2013, 12:38 PM
So we're playing a basketball game on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving at 1 pm in the middle of the day after students have gone home. Faculty and staff get in free but general public has to pay. Why in the hell don't they just throw open the doors and allow everybody in for free. Make some money on concessions and get people on campus who might otherwise not go to the game against a swac team. Boy, I bet people are rushing to pay to watch this gem. Time for a new direction in our athletic department.

I agree it's strange to have the game at 1, but it just so happens this is the game Malik decided he wanted to see; nothing the AD can do about that. They don't plan ahead based on which games recruits are likely to see, but even if they did, Jackson State wouldn't pop out as one of those games.

But getting upset at the AD for not having a 100% free basketball game? Seriously? Some of the complaints about the AD are legitimate, but people keep throwing out stupid reasons like this to get pissed and it then seems like they're doing everything wrong.

mic
11-26-2013, 12:40 PM
I agree it's strange to have the game at 1, but it just so happens this is the game Malik decided he wanted to see; nothing the AD can do about that. They don't plan ahead based on which games recruits are likely to see, but even if they did, Jackson State wouldn't pop out as one of those games.

But getting upset at the AD for not having a 100% free basketball game? Seriously? Some of the complaints about the AD are legitimate, but people keep throwing out stupid reasons like this to get pissed and it then seems like they're doing everything wrong.

I agree not much the AD can do here.. And Im for sure not a pro Scott guy.. Im sure Malik will make it back for a few other games this year..

Coach34
11-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Malik has been on campus before. His decision will have nothing to do with Wednesday's crowd

EngineerDawg
11-26-2013, 12:50 PM

wow... I remember a few years back they let anyone in for free during the "snow day". First come first serve seats. I think that was fall/winter of 09?

bully99
11-26-2013, 12:56 PM
What are you people talking about. Not once did I mention Malik Newman in my post. I'm talking about free admission to get a damn crowd in the place to support the basketball team, at a strange time where there's not gonna be many people. Read the post before going all cockeyed on something that was never said.
Stupid decision by Stricklan.

CadaverDawg
11-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Malik has been on campus before. His decision will have nothing to do with Wednesday's crowd

Yea, but it would still be nice to have a packed house when he's there. Not saying it will be a negative, just not a positive. I think our chances are around 0% to 0.000001% anyway.

Coach34
11-26-2013, 12:59 PM
I think our chances are around 0% to 0.000001% anyway.

at best right now

bully99
11-26-2013, 01:03 PM
BTW, Who says he's going because of MSU. Remember,Jackson State's Coach Wayne Brent was Newman's coach at Callaway. Papa Horatio Webster is good friends with Brent. Just saying.
Cadaver I think it's less than that

graphicBYdesign
11-26-2013, 01:07 PM
We dont get the money from concessions- the Lions Club or some shit does...another change we need to make

As of this season, the Lion's Club no longer runs the concessions.

CadaverDawg
11-26-2013, 01:12 PM
BTW, Who says he's going because of MSU. Remember,Jackson State's Coach Wayne Brent was Newman's coach at Callaway. Papa Horatio Webster is good friends with Brent. Just saying.
Cadaver I think it's less than that

Yea he has the Brent connection, but it's not like he can't go watch them in Jackson anytime he wants. I think he is coming up because Ray invited him. I still don't think it means we have much of a shot, but at least the kid is willing to come to our campus.

bully99
11-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Horatio is gonna be nice to State because he played there, but Daddy sees son as his gravy train and that will be the deciding factor.

TentDawgs
11-26-2013, 01:19 PM
As of this season, the Lion's Club no longer runs the concessions.
You are correct. Aramark runs concessions in the Hump as of this year.

Homedawg
11-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Malik ain't coming, forget it!

He probably won't, but he wasn't coming if Stan's was here either.

smootness
11-26-2013, 01:38 PM
So you aren't even connecting this to Newman and yet you're still ticked at the AD about it?

Why not make every basketball game free then? How about every baseball game?

Those games don't sell out, and making them all free would ensure more people would show up.

mic
11-26-2013, 01:58 PM

This 100%

bully99
11-26-2013, 02:10 PM
Snootness, what an ass. Are you Stricklan's jock carrier. Yeah I proposed free admission to every game. Come out of momma's basement and join the real world.

preachermatt83
11-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Snootness, what an ass. Are you Stricklan's jock carrier. Yeah I proposed free admission to every game. Come out of momma's basement and join the real world.

Seriously smoot you don't have to be a jerk all the time to everybody man.

Political Hack
11-26-2013, 11:34 PM
So you aren't even connecting this to Newman and yet you're still ticked at the AD about it?

Why not make every basketball game free then? How about every baseball game?

Those games don't sell out, and making them all free would ensure more people would show up.

those games aren't played the day before a national holiday when the students are on break, with a sell out crowd expecting to arrive in town the following day. If they would've simply moved the game back some people would've come and stayed the night... it could've been scheduled better, but since it wasn't they need to find a way to get butts in seats now.

drunkernhelldawg
11-27-2013, 03:44 AM

How do you know that?

BrunswickDawg
11-27-2013, 08:16 AM
I'm going to go a little against the grain and give the Ath. Dept. some credit. While they have definitely had some missteps (like the ads, scheduling, etc.), they have done something I think is major - put some competitiveness into our non-rev sports. Track, softball, tennis, and golf are all competing on national levels now consistently, not to mention being back on top in Baseball. Women's basketball is looking like one of the best hires we have had. Yes, football and men's basketball are experiencing issues - but football has a tortured history and we all know why we are where we are in rebuilding with Ray. Those other sports were wastelands 5 years ago. Compared to the joke that every program was when I was in school, we have made some big progress as an athletic department.

smootness
11-27-2013, 08:50 AM

Obviously I used hyperbole to make my point, but I think the point is valid. You are angry at the AD for not making a basketball game free to get more people there. So which games should they make free, and which should they charge for? Because it's clear that we can't make every game free, and you apparently have a line in mind since you're angry with them over it, so I don't understand where that line would be drawn.

I guess my issues is with the fact that you consider it a 'blunder' by the AD and proof that we need a new direction. If you think it would have been a good idea to make the game free, that's obviously a valid opinion/idea/point. But to be angry that they didn't? I don't understand that. It would be akin to me being upset with Rick Ray that he didn't start, say, Fred Thomas one game. To say, 'I think we should have started Fred Thomas, I think that would have given us a chance to start the game with more aggression on offense,' would be a valid point. To say, 'What a blunder by Rick Ray! The guy is clueless, we need a new coach,' would be insane.

smootness
11-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Seriously smoot you don't have to be a jerk all the time to everybody man.

I'm not sure how I was a jerk to bully, and I definitely don't know how I'm a jerk to everybody all the time. I usually try to make my point as reasonably as possible. Sometimes I'm going to get sarcastic if I think the argument is insane.

Political Hack
11-27-2013, 09:08 AM
I'm not sure how I was a jerk to bully, and I definitely don't know how I'm a jerk to everybody all the time. I usually try to make my point as reasonably as possible. Sometimes I'm going to get sarcastic if I think the argument is insane.

Smoot, you're one of the posters that I can actually disagree with and appreciate at the same time. I don't really ever recall you being a jerk, even on the political board.... which is saying something.

I do think they should've done a better job scheduling this game though. they probably thought about the kids being able to get home for T-day without regard to the 1,000's of fans' plans.

smootness
11-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Smoot, you're one of the posters that I can actually disagree with and appreciate at the same time. I don't really ever recall you being a jerk, even on the political board.... which is saying something.

I do think they should've done a better job scheduling this game though. they probably thought about the kids being able to get home for T-day without regard to the 1,000's of fans' plans.

I agree about the time of the game. I don't get that, I assume they had some reason, but I don't know what it could be. And I'm even ok with saying they should have made the game free; again, a valid point. But they obviously can't make every game free, so I don't know which should be and which shouldn't be.

Dog316
11-27-2013, 09:21 AM
--------

Pardon me, but the Lions Club is not some ____. A crude unnecessary comment.

Homedawg
11-27-2013, 10:41 AM
How do you know that?

If you ever heard Horatio's thoughts of our program under Stan's that would give u all u need to know. At least we have a minimal chance now. With Rick it was none!

drunkernhelldawg
11-27-2013, 11:33 AM

Totally agree. Appreciate Smoot's thoughtful posts.

Political Hack
11-27-2013, 11:51 AM
If you ever heard Horatio's thoughts of our program under Stan's that would give u all u need to know. At least we have a minimal chance now. With Rick it was none!

Not disagreeing with you, but 2nd place is as close as last when it comes to recruiting.

Coach34
11-27-2013, 11:58 AM

this is correct. The Big Train is no Stands fan

Coach34
11-27-2013, 12:00 PM
--------

Pardon me, but the Lions Club is not some ____. A crude unnecessary comment.

I in no way meant to offend the Lions Club. I simply think it was a mistake to let them run concessions all these years. I think the University should have gotten the money- and they could have made a sizable donation to the Lion's Club

TheRef
11-27-2013, 12:27 PM
I will be there at the game in my full referee regalia. You won't be able to miss me. If y'all see me as I walk by, don't feel afraid to say hello to me. I plan on being at every home game from now on.

FlabLoser
11-27-2013, 02:09 PM
I will be there at the game in my full referee regalia. You won't be able to miss me. If y'all see me as I walk by, don't feel afraid to say hello to me. I plan on being at every home game from now on.

Does that ref outfit include a cane and dark glasses?

notsofarawaydawg
11-27-2013, 02:21 PM
One reason you don't throw open the doors for just anyone is GANGS would take over for sure. I don't think Strick will be calling any of you for advice on scheduling anytime soon. If you couldn't come then you wouldn't schedule it. Too many of you think all this is about you and you only. GTHOM

bully99
11-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Since I started the thread and got everybody's panties wadded up I stand by my original statement, but I was at the game and it was a decent crowd. Lots of kids under 12 who got in free. Never saw Newman or Webster. They acknowledged Richard Williams.

Ref, was that you with the striped shirt standing behind the goal near the MSU bench. Saw that guy and laughed. Guess it was the one and only weatherman ref. Too funny.

Afraid it's gonna be a long season. State should have lost that game today.No depth.

TheRef
11-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Ref, was that you with the striped shirt standing behind the goal near the MSU bench. Saw that guy and laughed. Guess it was the one and only weatherman ref. Too funny.

The one and only.

bully99
11-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Now I know why you call yourself Ref, you could of done a better job than the ones we had.