PDA

View Full Version : If you got to pick the scheme...

Leroy Jenkins
10-17-2022, 03:56 PM
on offense and defense what would you do?

Offense: Give me the Pat White/Steve Slaton/Noel Devine Rich Rod, West Virginia, spread. We can recruit to that in our footprint. Hell it's pretty much what Kiffen runs now.

Defense: I'm good with the scheme we have now JLD proved it will work here, and Arnett has followed up on that.

dawgman15
10-17-2022, 03:58 PM
Offense: Whatever scores points

Defense: Whatever does not give up points

Goldendawg
10-17-2022, 04:01 PM

Offense: Give me the Pat White/Steve Slaton/Noel Devine Rich Rod, West Virginia, spread. We can recruit to that in our footprint. Hell it's pretty much what Kiffen runs now.

Defense: I'm good with the scheme we have now JLD proved it will work here, and Arnett has followed up on that.

JLD "D" worked as long as we had lockdown corners such as Smoot & Bean. Without that, problems came.

FISHDAWG
10-17-2022, 04:08 PM
I just want to see the tackling and attitude of Neiko Whitley and Darius Slay like in the past ... I want to see physical play from our D-line ... I want to see speed and athleticism from linebackers that we had in the past .... I DONT want to see that piss poor tackling that we saw the other night.
I'm not sure where D Johnson was or if he was hurt but when the finesse of the air raid isn't working it would be nice to get physical on offense also

Activated Alpha
10-17-2022, 04:12 PM
Offense: like the Bills currently.

Defense: 2018 team all over again, but with a lockdown corner...

TrapGame
10-17-2022, 04:15 PM
I just want to see the tackling and attitude of Neiko Whitley and Darius Slay like in the past

Because that shit gets you flagged these days. Whitley would be in prison for attempted manslaughter on some of his hits. The pussification of the American male has taken over football, college and pro.

Remember when Pegues de-cleated that OM WR in the 2007 Egg? That's targeting and 15 yards today. In 2007 it virtually won us that game.

Johnson85
10-17-2022, 04:23 PM

I really don't care about scheme as long as it's not triple option. It's coaching that's going to matter more for us.

I think in general an elite passing attack makes it more likely that you will upset a better team than an elite running attack. That said, what's important is the talent of the receivers, not the scheme so much. Outside of extremes, the scheme just matters to the extent it makes it easier for you to recruit elite WRs.

I think in general an elite running game makes it less likely that you will get upset by a weaker team.

Paired with a good offense, I am fine with a defense that takes risks to create turnovers or negative yardage plays. I think offenses are so good now that giving up some big plays in exchange for creating some turnovers and/or increasing the likelihood of 3 and outs is a good tradeoff. I think that's more or less what we run and I think it helps hide some talent deficiencies, but it was concerning to watch UK push us around. Hope that is just an adjustment Arnett needs to make that he couldn't make in game.
I think a spread will allow us to

Leroy Jenkins
10-17-2022, 05:08 PM
Offense: Whatever scores points

Defense: Whatever does not give up points

Profound and insightful.

Leroy Jenkins
10-17-2022, 05:09 PM
JLD "D" worked as long as we had lockdown corners such as Smoot & Bean. Without that, problems came.

There has not been a time in the last 8-10 years we have not had NFL corners.

Goldendawg
10-17-2022, 05:21 PM
There has not been a time in the last 8-10 years we have not had NFL corners.

I was referring to JLD "D" having troubles toward the the end of his time at State when we didn't have those elite DB's. You are correct indeed about the last 8-10 years.

Quaoarsking
10-17-2022, 05:45 PM
Imagine Will Rogers having Nick Fitzgerald's running ability.

Travelingdawg
10-17-2022, 05:49 PM
I was referring to JLD "D" having troubles toward the the end of his time at State when we didn't have those elite DB's. You are correct indeed about the last 8-10 years.

JLD had some beast that played on the defensive line that helped those dbs out. We need some more beast.

PikeDawg15
10-17-2022, 06:07 PM
If Leach doesnt work out and I was hired as AD

Ive got 3 guys on my main list im going to try to Get to Starkville by any means neccessary.

1. Matt Rhule. He is not going to coach anywhere this season but after he sits out a year hes coming back and will kill it somewhere. I would offer him a 4 year 24 million dollar deal.

2. Hugh Freeze. God I never thought Id say it but this mf can coach his ass off and he knows the state of mississippi like the back of his hand. Especially with NIL , get his ass here and we will be competiting for the west in 3 years.

3. Dave Clawson. That offense would work at mississippi state and he wins everywhere he goes. He has vanderbilt talent and hes taking clemson to double overtime and kicking everyone elses ass.

Back up plans

4. Sonny Dykes at TCU. If we want to stay in the air raid style but have it adjusted like how heupel does it at tennessee. Thats your guy

5. Dan Mullen. Self explanatory. Say what you want but if John Cohen called , mullen would come back. Gurantee it.

6. Gus Malzahn. If all else fails, get someone who can beat ole miss and win 8 games.

Tater
10-17-2022, 06:20 PM
The scheme we have works now. I'd just have more of an emphasis on taking 15+ air yard shots on 1st and 2nd down than we do.

On defense, any scheme can work with hard workers with talent. 3-3-5, 4-2-5, etc. In our recruiting footprint we just need to not have gaps in recruiting (LBs and Safeties currently) to have great defenses. The way this staff has been recruiting, Arnett could stay here a while and have a solid to great defense year over year.

PikeDawg15
10-17-2022, 06:21 PM
The scheme we have works now. I'd just have more of an emphasis on taking 15+ air yard shots on 1st and 2nd down than we do.

On defense, any scheme can work with hard workers with talent. 3-3-5, 4-2-5, etc. In our recruiting footprint we just need to not have gaps in recruiting (LBs and Safeties currently) to have great defenses. The way this staff has been recruiting, Arnett could stay here a while and have a solid to great defense year over year.

It looks like we are getting our ass kicked in recruiting

we are currently suppose to get 1 of the top 5 players in Mississippi.

You can do that and do good at MSU

Goldendawg
10-17-2022, 07:06 PM

As of right now OM has commitment$ for #'s 1,2,& 5 in MS. Also the #2 MS CC player, an OL. They only have 12 commits, avg. .9019, 31 in nation to our 36 with 16 commits, avg .8741 May be hit the portal hard for both teams.

msu15
10-17-2022, 07:26 PM
Scheme doesn't mean shit in football. It's all about the line of scrimmage and who wins that battle.

coachnorm
10-17-2022, 07:26 PM
Nearly all college offenses run 4 receivers and one back be it Air Raid or spread so what is the difference? The difference is match-ups versus scheme compliance. I am saying that the scheme is not the issue, its the prioritizing of the play calling within the scheme that matters. Both Air Raid and Spread have Swing passes, Check-downs and Mesh Passes. Whether you are in Air Raid or Spread, if you prioritize Swing Passes or Check-downs, you will get out performed. If you were to go to YouTube and audit last Saturdays game with last years game, it will enlighten you and fellow elitedoggers. If we were to had launched 5 or 6 passes whether covered on not instead of swing passes or check-downs, we probably get last years result. Leach is to loyal to the Air Raid manual and pain will happen because of it.

Coach34
10-17-2022, 09:07 PM
Heup is being successful one way with the widening of his WR's. He widens and stacks them changing how Secondary's are used to defending. Defenses have to line up different to adjust. His WR's are running together and then breaking off their routes- confusing CB's. I love it and have begun trying to teach this to my guys. It's innovative

CaptainObvious
10-17-2022, 09:32 PM
Yup. Heupel is running the Wendy?s Offense.

Double Stack WRs on both sides.

Tater
10-17-2022, 09:38 PM

We've been getting impact players from juco and transfer on defense. Kids who are backups don't look totally lost when out there and seem to have eye test SEC speed you need.

I have 0 care for the rankings as long as we're getting full positional classes and I can tell with my eyes that the kids are good. Who on our defense was highly touted? Chris Jones types ain't walking through that door. 4*s we get seem to punch higher than the average 4* at other schools.

parabrave
10-17-2022, 09:59 PM
Heup is being successful one way with the widening of his WR's. He widens and stacks them changing how Secondary's are used to defending. Defenses have to line up different to adjust. His WR's are running together and then breaking off their routes- confusing CB's. I love it and have begun trying to teach this to my guys. It's innovative

And a mobile QB is a huge difference between us and UT.

Reunion Dog
10-18-2022, 02:17 AM
We have to have 4 studs in the defensive line. This 3 on the front is a gimmick especially when we have slow as hell linebackers and covers can?t corner nor tackle.

We ain?t gonna beat anyone that we need to beat with this crap we run now.

I like Rod Gibson? but if you think he can recruit with the best of the other guys in the SEC? then you are part of the problem. Either fund recruiting as we should or be ready to accept ass whippings like we received at Kentucky.

Homedawg
10-18-2022, 07:44 AM
We have to have 4 studs in the defensive line. This 3 on the front is a gimmick especially when we have slow as hell linebackers and covers can?t corner nor tackle.

We ain?t gonna beat anyone that we need to beat with this crap we run now.

I like Rod Gibson? but if you think he can recruit with the best of the other guys in the SEC? then you are part of the problem. Either fund recruiting as we should or be ready to accept ass whippings like we received at Kentucky.

Ha. Rod is one of the reasons we do as well as we do with bottom end of the league $$$$.

R2Dawg
10-18-2022, 12:16 PM

Not that simple.

We also had some nasty DL in that era and some dominant rush ends (Ed Smith, Greg Favors, etc.) That 99 DL put the entire 2 deep in the NFL. Good up front makes the back end job look easy. It is a combination of both. Lockdown corners can't hold forever but ours never had too. QB was running for his life.

R2Dawg
10-18-2022, 12:20 PM

Some kind of spread with a QB that can run. This is the most difficult O to stop and proven every single week. It is why we went to #1 in 14. Spread out the D and put playmakers in space with a QB to exploit any breakdowns.

On D, we just need the players in whatever scheme you want. Bad DL, great rush ends fast LB and good cover guys and it don't matter what setup you run to a point. You scheme to stop whatever the O is doing then. Versatile guys are very valuable though like Matt Wells at LB (not fair), Ashley Cooper at LB and blitzing, Tyrus Wheat bull rushing at LB spot. Cox, Jones, Simmons, Sweat......This type talent flips the table on scheme. You have to scheme for them.