PDA

View Full Version : Now that Fall Baseball is finished,

AlSwearengen
10-16-2022, 07:37 PM
What do we know or think we know?

-What freshmen look like they belong and will be factors this year and in the future? From the little info that I have seen, it sounds like Dakota Jordan has been pretty good at the plate. Loo has been pretty good. How good though? How has the Lefty from Desoto Central done?

-What does the pitching look like? Are we relying on Stinnett to be around the top of the rotation?

I?m not expecting an Omaha type team, but we really need to get back to a regional to get some momentum going again.

Todd4State
10-16-2022, 11:16 PM
I think we have a lot of talent and could make a run in 2024 potentially. I think we're likely too young and lack a true ace to do it this year.

As far as the freshmen go- I think Dakota Jordan has won a spot in the lineup either in LF or CF. Special talent. Loo I think will most likely come out of the bullpen and maybe start some midweek. Bradley Loftin has looked good but may be out with an elbow injury. David Mershon and Jay Murdock are good players but not sure how much they will contribute. Murdock could be a darkhorse DH candidate. Ross Highfill will catch some for us and give Hancock a day off here and there. Ross is probably ready defensively but not sure what we're going to get offensively next year from him.

I think our pitching will be much better- not that the bar was set that high by the last group. Our rotation is probably going to be Hunt, Cade Smith, and Stinnett. And the way Stinnett has performed and his SEC experience I think he likely wins a spot in the rotation. He simply deserves it. Maybe more importantly our bullpen is better. Aaron Nixon is a legit closer and I think Nate Dohm can be a relief ace type of guy who can go multiple innings- which is super important given our lack of an ace. Pico was solid last year and probably our best pitcher and he should be better. It seems like Colby Holcombe has been better coming out of the pen so we'll see what we have with him but he is a legit mid-upper 90's arm. I want to see how he does against live competition. Loo I think will pitch a lot. Landon Gartman might be the midweek guy I guess. Graham Ynetema might contribute a lot out of the bullpen and be a steal for us.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-17-2022, 04:17 AM
Probably finishing 3rd or 4th in the West but you really cant tell much from fall baseball.

AlSwearengen
10-17-2022, 07:47 AM
Todd, you are probably way ahead of me, but they had Loftin scheduled to start opposite of Loo on Saturday. I haven’t seen any reports from that scrimmage though, so I don’t know if he pitched or not.

Homedawg
10-17-2022, 08:15 AM
Loftin started went two innings. Left w apparent injury.

CaptainObvious
10-17-2022, 09:52 AM
Are our pitchers back to using heavy balls in workouts? Arm injuries have been a problem for us.

Saltydog
10-17-2022, 10:22 AM
And I know this is a big "if" but IF Stinnett can get his head screwed on straight and become more consistent in the zone, he's got ace stuff. Now, his history hasn't shown he can do that but the stuff itself is there.

AlSwearengen
10-17-2022, 03:08 PM
And I know this is a big "if" but IF Stinnett can get his head screwed on straight and become more consistent in the zone, he's got ace stuff. Now, his history hasn't shown he can do that but the stuff itself is there.

Yeah, Stinnett will have to do it for half a season before I begin to trust him. He was supposedly pretty good last year until the season started and then he was inconsistent. He has the stuff though.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-17-2022, 08:10 PM
Nobody has hit Stinnett since he’s been here. His problem is walks and wild pitches.

Todd4State
10-17-2022, 11:38 PM
Nobody has hit Stinnett since he’s been here. His problem is walks and wild pitches.

Yeah- that's the thing. He's not walking people as much.

Todd4State
10-17-2022, 11:41 PM
Yeah, Stinnett will have to do it for half a season before I begin to trust him. He was supposedly pretty good last year until the season started and then he was inconsistent. He has the stuff though.

We started Stinnett out of the bullpen and that's just not what he is. We wanted him to be basically a back up closer to Sims and then Simmons. His command wasn't good enough out of the bullpen. When we moved him to starter he was much better- but then tailed off I'm pretty sure in part because of an injury.