PDA

View Full Version : What makes you keep coming back?

chef dixon
10-15-2022, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure why I continue to hold onto this hobby, but always ultimately do

Commercecomet24
10-15-2022, 10:52 PM
I wonder the same things sometimes and I keep coming back too. I was born a Dawg and raised a Dawg. It's in my blood and I was also raised to not be a quitter so I'm always gonna lick my wounds along with our teams and just keep coming back. It sucks sometimes but it's what we do.

Todd4State
10-15-2022, 10:53 PM
Well, there are worse things I could be addicted to.

CadaverDawg
10-15-2022, 10:56 PM
https://media.tenor.com/ZD67tntccWsAAAAM/smart-not-smart-man.gif

EdwardDrayton
10-15-2022, 10:57 PM

Opening question for new folks to the group at the Hailstate Recovery Institute

Goldendawg
10-15-2022, 10:57 PM
I wonder the same things sometimes and I keep coming back too. I was born a Dawg and raised a Dawg. It's in my blood and I was also raised to not be a quitter so I'm always gonna lick my wounds along with our teams and just keep coming back. It sucks sometimes but it's what we do.

Same here. Dad carried me to 1st game at Memphis in 1963 which we lost. Family has had 8 to 12 season tickets for about 55 years. Dad raised me hardcore State ( told him once I should sue for child abuse***), and I raised my son the same. State Class of 1977, son will be Class of 2023. It has never been easy. Hail State!

Todd4State
10-15-2022, 10:58 PM

I think the highs are better than the lows. Just personally speaking. I wouldn't trade the 2021 National Championship run in baseball for anything. Very thankful I lived to see it. Definitely had doubts.

I'm probably more addicted to baseball. I mean- I've been to the Mississippi State Semi Pro Tournament and I wasn't related to any of the players. That's probably my personal rock bottom as far as baseball watching goes. And true story- I didn't go to Prom my junior year to watch a Braves/Yankees spring training game. This was before interleague play in my defense. But still- NOT a real game. An exhibition game.

CadaverDawg
10-15-2022, 10:59 PM
I should have left after the Maine game like I said I would walking out of the stadium that night.

EdwardDrayton
10-15-2022, 11:02 PM
I should have left after the Maine game like I said I would walking out of the stadium that night.

Oh yeah. That one was excruciating.

ScoobaDawg
10-15-2022, 11:03 PM
Anyone else best part of the day (football wise) was watching UT beat BAMA? but instantly knowing... even before our game...we were gonna get ass raped....

ScoobaDawg
10-15-2022, 11:04 PM

I hate mentioning it.

3-2.
Or when we had to cheer from Mississippi to make sure Croom was fired.

Commercecomet24
10-15-2022, 11:05 PM

I've probably said the same thing a hundred times(at least) myself over my 57 years.

Commercecomet24
10-15-2022, 11:06 PM
I think the highs are better than the lows. Just personally speaking. I wouldn't trade the 2021 National Championship run in baseball for anything. Very thankful I lived to see it. Definitely had doubts.

I'm probably more addicted to baseball. I mean- I've been to the Mississippi State Semi Pro Tournament and I wasn't related to any of the players. That's probably my personal rock bottom as far as baseball watching goes. And true story- I didn't go to Prom my junior year to watch a Braves/Yankees spring training game. This was before interleague play in my defense. But still- NOT a real game. An exhibition game.

Good post.

Commercecomet24
10-15-2022, 11:07 PM
Same here. Dad carried me to 1st game at Memphis in 1963 which we lost. Family has had 8 to 12 season tickets for about 55 years. Dad raised me hardcore State ( told him once I should sue for child abuse***), and I raised my son the same. State Class of 1977, son will be Class of 2023. It has never been easy. Hail State!

Good stuff! And yes it's never ever been easy.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-15-2022, 11:11 PM
I dropped my tickets after Covid year. My buddy dropped his the year before. Between the two of us 8 season tickets dropped. It just isnt worth time, effort and money anymore.

mparkerfd20
10-15-2022, 11:11 PM
I honestly don't know any more. This old man is tired. Yet every year I come back with renewed hope. It's just in my blood.

EdwardDrayton
10-15-2022, 11:19 PM
My Dad played football for State so it’s been all Dawg since birth. Not to mention countless other family members who graduated from and/or taught at State.

Including my lovely MSCW wife of 35 years who I met at Grad School orientation and we subsequently earned our MSU MBAs together (1984).

bobtail bob
10-15-2022, 11:20 PM
A backwoods country kid left home in 1985 to go three hours north wide eyed and na?ve about the world. It became another family that surrounded me in Starkville so it’s always like home. It’s family and that’s one thing you have no control over. So no matter how angry I get, I have no choice.

Goldendawg
10-15-2022, 11:31 PM
Good stuff! And yes it's never ever been easy.

When the wheels fell off at the end of the Jackie years we had 12 season tickets and usually filled all 12 with friends and family. My SuperDawg Dad was recovering from a severe subdural hematoma he had at age 58 and was learning to speak again. We were playing at home against OM and had won only a couple of games and only my Dad, my sister, and I were on the way to the game on a very cold, wet night. When we saw the stadium lights Dad said very deliberately, "Son, you know what? It won't be long till Spring Training". He died at 59 and I still miss him. It's about more than wins and losses. Hail State!

Bothrops
10-15-2022, 11:34 PM
Well, there are worse things I could be addicted to.

Really...like what?

Todd4State
10-15-2022, 11:38 PM
Really...like what?

Meth.

Commercecomet24
10-15-2022, 11:42 PM
When the wheels fell off at the end of the Jackie years we had 12 season tickets and usually filled all 12 with friends and family. My SuperDawg Dad was recovering from a severe subdural hematoma and was learning to speak again. We were playing at home against OM and had won only a couple of games and only my Dad, my sister, and I were on the way to the game on a very cold, wet night. We we saw the stadium lights Dad said very deliberately, "Son, you know what? It won't be long till Spring Training". He died at 59 and I still miss him. It's about more than wins and losses. Hail State!

So sorry for the loss of your father. I understand completely. You really nailed it. It is about more than wins and losses! I have so many great memories of State games with my dad and now with kids. I was holding my 4 year old son as Brian Hazelwood lined up to kick the game winning fg against arky to send us to Atlanta in 1998. We were on the 20 yard line about 8 rows up and he was right in front of us. What a feeling that game brought us. We dug up dirt and grass out of the south end zone after that win and still have it in ziplock bags. That's just one of many memories I have with my family over the years, there's so many good ones! Thanks for sharing that story about you and your dad, it really is more than wins and losses!

CaptainObvious
10-15-2022, 11:56 PM
So sorry for the loss of your father. I understand completely. You really nailed it. It is about more than wins and losses! I have so many great memories of State games with my dad and now with kids. I was holding my 4 year old son as Brian Hazelwood lined up to kick the game winning fg against arky to send us to Atlanta in 1998. We were on the 20 yard line about 8 rows up and he was right in front of us. What a feeling that game brought us. We dug up dirt and grass out of the south end zone after that win and still have it in ziplock bags. That's just one of many memories I have with my family over the years, there's so many good ones! Thanks for sharing that story about you and your dad, it really is more than wins and losses!

Dang it! It?s you! You disturbed the Burial Grounds!

Just kidding of course. 😎😎 it is indeed about family and the times we spent together being a part of what makes MSU dear to us.

I am mad as hell about tonight. I?ll be fine tomorrow and life as a State fan will go on. Probably like it has always been.

Goldendawg
10-16-2022, 12:00 AM

Thanks. I was at the arky game and cried tears of happiness when Hazelwood hit the field goal. Was in Atlanta and thought we had it after the Kevin Prentiss PR for TD. Until someone else get us back to Atlanta, Jackie will always be my favorite coach for that and many other reasons. I am 67 and continue to build memories with my 21 year old MSU Sr son, family, and friends win or lose. Now, if we can get more victories to outweigh those losses!

Liverpooldawg
10-16-2022, 12:01 AM
My Dad was an MSU grad. I'm a MSU grad. My son is a MSU grad. That's absolutely all I need to say.

Commercecomet24
10-16-2022, 12:01 AM
Dang it! It?s you! You disturbed the Burial Grounds!

Just kidding of course. 😎😎 it is indeed about family and the times we spent together being a part of what makes MSU dear to us.

I am mad as hell about tonight. I?ll be fine tomorrow and life as a State fan will go on. Probably like it has always been.

It is so frustrating! I'm with you I don't really sleep well after games like this because it pisses me off but like you I'll be fine tomorrow and life as State fan will go on. HAILSTATE my man!

Commercecomet24
10-16-2022, 12:05 AM
Thanks. I was at the arky game and cried tears of happiness when Hazelwood hit the field goal. Was in Atlanta and thought we had it after the Kevin Prentiss PR for TD. Until someone else get us back to Atlanta, Jackie will always be my favorite coach for that and many other reasons. I am 67 and continue to build memories with my 21 year old MSU Sr son, family, and friends win or lose. Now, if we can get more victories to outweigh those losses!

We cried too! That day was so emotional!

And then In Atlanta after the Prentiss return I though we had it too! My man cave is covered with MSU memorabilia and such lol! Like a little kid! Yep HAILSTATE til I die!

Bothrops
10-16-2022, 12:12 AM
Meth.

How can you argue with that

msu15
10-16-2022, 12:33 AM
I'm in to BDSM, whoops, I mean Mississippi State athletics!

Vandownbytheriver
10-16-2022, 12:43 AM
I learned a long time ago if I put my happiness on a team winning or losing, I'd be miserable. I've seen a Cubs and State World Series win, so I've been happy twice in my lifetime sports wise. I like to talk sports with people, but my identity isn't tied into being a Cubs, State, Browns, US Soccer fan. If they win, I'm surprised. If they lose, I've grown to expect it. Compared to other things I could and have done in the past, this is the least self destructive thing I could do. I just like the 3 hour escape from all of the other stuff going on in the world today.

tribaldawg
10-16-2022, 12:50 AM
Good grief people you all sound ridiculous. Step back from the ledge.

Todd4State
10-16-2022, 01:36 AM
How can you argue with that

I remind my Mom of that as she doesn't like me traveling to all of these football games.

PikeDawg15
10-16-2022, 07:28 AM
It should be a federal crime to raise your children to be Mississippi state fans

PikeDawg15
10-16-2022, 07:35 AM

I?m sorry to say but unless how things are ran changes.

Mississippi state?s sec west title in 1998 will be its 1st and its last.

I?ve accepted that CML will not ever win big here because ? sadly?. He will be fired within the next 12 months because our fanbase is not going to accept losing to ole miss 3 years in a row or possibly 4 in a row .

Our program is headed for a hard rebuild with an in state rival that has taken all the fame and glory and we just stood around sitting on our hands.

We are either going to have to go for young and up and comer who is motivated to prove his worth or go for a guy who failed somewhere else but it?s looking to rebuild his image.

BrunswickDawg
10-16-2022, 07:48 AM

Most of y'all were born into it.
My dumb ass adopted this! I was born into UGA, I got into UGA. But no, I had to find check out this school that offered me scholarship money. I should have known better when I made my first visit to campus in the fall of 1990 and dorm windows were filled with "FIRE FELKER" signs.

But like T4S and CC24, for me it's always been baseball that keeps me. Football and basketball having good seasons is just icing on the cake.

DownwardDawg
10-16-2022, 08:04 AM
Anyone else best part of the day (football wise) was watching UT beat BAMA? but instantly knowing... even before our game...we were gonna get ass raped....

Yep. Watched ole miss. Then enjoying watching Tennessee win and all my neighbors screaming while shooting fireworks. It was a celebration here. Then I had that sinking feeling. Just knew it.

DownwardDawg
10-16-2022, 08:09 AM

This is me. It's so damn hard.

Activated Alpha
10-16-2022, 08:40 AM
I won't be back for next weekend I can tell you that. I don't want to witness that ass raping...

R2Dawg
10-16-2022, 08:46 AM

Same for most. I was born in Starkville when my dad was in school at MSU. I graduated there and I have two kids there now (senior and a freshman). I bleed maroon and nothing I can do about it. I'll always be a Dawg.

But my willingness to watch the obvious disasters drives me to find other things to do and then the MSU hope springs eternal to suck me back in.

BlackSailsDawg
10-16-2022, 08:47 AM

Because this is my team. It's that simple.

R2Dawg
10-16-2022, 08:47 AM
Yep. Watched ole miss. Then enjoying watching Tennessee win and all my neighbors screaming while shooting fireworks. It was a celebration here. Then I had that sinking feeling. Just knew it.

Same here, I could feel it coming and dreaded it all day.

Bdawg
10-16-2022, 08:48 AM
Born a Dawg. Graduated a dawgs. Always a dawg. I?m no quitter. Just is what it is.

Mjoelner34
10-16-2022, 03:12 PM
A backwoods country kid left home in 1985 to go three hours north wide eyed and na?ve about the world. It became another family that surrounded me in Starkville so it?s always like home. It?s family and that?s one thing you have no control over. So no matter how angry I get, I have no choice.

Sounds exactly like my story except it was 1986. And, while I was extremely pissed in the Croom years, the only time I've thought about checking out was the time period between the piss and miss Egg Bowl and the day we canned Shit Show Joe. I had already decided I was keeping my tickets for the future but as long as he was here, they were going straight to stubhub along with my parking pass until he was gone.

PikeDawg15
10-16-2022, 03:15 PM
Good post.

What sucks is I don?t give a shit about baseball. Football guy born and raised. Just sucks I went to a school that doesn?t give a shot about football and will never be serious about it because of the people who have a say in the administration are baseball people. Really sad.

Dawgtini
10-16-2022, 03:22 PM
3rd gen dawg. Got kids who are 4th gen. We are HailState and everyone else can bark at the hole.

Dawgtini
10-16-2022, 03:24 PM
What sucks is I don?t give a shit about baseball. Football guy born and raised. Just sucks I went to a school that doesn?t give a shot about football and will never be serious about it because of the people who have a say in the administration are baseball people. Really sad.

I was a baseball guy from the jump, but I've never cared about basketball. Point is we are who we are and these are some of the best years in our history in all 3 sports. Pause. Enjoy. It can be much much worse.

Goldendawg
10-16-2022, 05:40 PM
NM