PDA

View Full Version : I hate all of William Faulkner's literary works.

Maroons
11-26-2013, 11:00 AM
That is all.

messageboardsuperhero
11-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Honestly, I'm a big fan of his- read eight of his books and a few short stories.

And it's weird, because every time I ask a UM friend about his work, most of them don't really read his books- they just use him as a figurehead. It actually pisses me off when someone from UM talks big about him spending his life in Oxford, because when I ask what their favorite Faulkner book is, 80% of them say they've never read one and the other 20% said they couldn't understand the book they read so they didn't try to read anymore.

As an aside, for all the shit UM people talk about farmers and "MooU", Faulkner claimed to be "Just a farmer who liked to tell stories." It's pretty ironic and hypocritical for them to put him on such a pedestal, but yet make fun of State for being an agricultural school. Also, Hugh Freeze grew up on a farm too.

ETA: Actually, if you're at least a 3rd or 4th generation Mississippian, I GUARANTEE that you have some farmer history in your family- no matter how red your pants are or how many pennies you have in your loafers.

Behrdawg
11-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Honestly, I'm a big fan of his- read eight of his books and a few short stories.

And it's weird, because every time is ask a UM friend about his work, I learn that most of them don't really read his books- they just use him as a figurehead. It actually of pisses me off when someone from UM talks big about him spending his life in Oxford, because when I ask what their favorite Faulkner book is, 80% of them say they've never read one and the other 20% said they couldn't understand the book they read so they didn't try to read anymore.

As an aside, for all the shit UM people talk about farmers and "MooU", Faulkner claimed to be "Just a farmer who liked to tell stories." It's pretty ironic and hypocritical for them to put him on such a pedestal, but yet make fun of State for being an agricultural school. Also, Hugh Freeze grew up on a farm too.

ETA: Actually, if you're at least a 3rd or 4th generation Mississippian, I GUARANTEE that you have some farmer history in your family- no matter how red your pants are or how many pennies you have in your loafers.

You earned your name on this one. Good post

Political Hack
11-26-2013, 11:34 AM
why don't we just annex Columbus and the entire golden triangle and claim Tennessee Williams & the guy who wrote the Wizard of Oz? Seems fair.

was21
11-26-2013, 12:26 PM
I get the point but have to say it's unrelated to the task at hand. I have read most of the novels and have great appreciation for them. In a sense they are more than slices of Mississippi history, they are truly insight into the human spirit, but I won't get carried away with it. BTW, he didn't give a damn about the OM football team and said as much as a writer in residence at the University of Virginia.

Pollodawg
11-26-2013, 01:28 PM

And it's weird, because every time is ask a UM friend about his work, I learn that most of them don't really read his books- they just use him as a figurehead. It actually of pisses me off when someone from UM talks big about him spending his life in Oxford, because when I ask what their favorite Faulkner book is, 80% of them say they've never read one and the other 20% said they couldn't understand the book they read so they didn't try to read anymore.

This. Faulkner is a MISSISSIPPI treasure, not just an OM treasure. Faulkner didn't give one shit about that university. Hell, he only spent one semester there, and was actually despised in Oxford while he was still alive.

LiterallyPolice
11-26-2013, 01:33 PM
That is all.

Also: Square Books feels cluttered and poorly laid out.

BOOM!

messageboardsuperhero
11-26-2013, 04:42 PM
I get the point but have to say it's unrelated to the task at hand. I have read most of the novels and have great appreciation for them. In a sense they are more than slices of Mississippi history, they are truly insight into the human spirit, but I won't get carried away with it. BTW, he didn't give a damn about the OM football team and said as much as a writer in residence at the University of Virginia.

Yeah, it was a little OT, but I was on my UM "farmer hate" soapbox.

I agree about his novels being more than Mississippi history. The themes are too universal to constitute putting Faulkner exclusively into the "Southern Writer" category- but that is WAY OT.