PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard this rumor in basketball

R2Dawg
10-13-2022, 06:59 PM
that the Hump has some issues and will not be available for basketball this year? I heard the renovation damaged some structural parts and Hump is not available now? Heard one source say all games would be in Jackson.

Hard for me to believe this. If true, I'd fix either McCarthy or Volleyball bld to play games in on campus. We can't have two first year coaches play this season away all year. Hope this isn't true.

Westdawg
10-13-2022, 07:08 PM
This would be so us??

msu15
10-13-2022, 07:27 PM
All I know is that they are wayyyyyyyy behind schedule, so this wouldn't shock me at all.

Santiago
10-13-2022, 07:35 PM
MSU did NOT use for the Hump, the construction company that handled Dudy Noble renovations, and who actually finished on time. Seemed that companies that have a history finishing projects at MSU on schedule were not graded ahead for this Hump Renovation.
Isn't the Hump renovations by a company from Alabama?

Goldendawg
10-13-2022, 08:26 PM
Will it hurt our attendance in basketball if we have to play home games in Jackson?******

RocketDawg
10-13-2022, 08:39 PM
Will it hurt our attendance in basketball if we have to play home games in Jackson?******

Probably would be a lot better attendance if they played games in McCarthy. Doesn't Tupelo have a sizable venue that could be used (if the rumor is true)? It's not long before the season starts.

Saltydog
10-13-2022, 08:51 PM
We used to play a game annually at the coliseum in Tupelo. It holds about 10k, course we don't need a fraction of that.

Homedawg
10-13-2022, 08:54 PM
MSU did NOT use for the Hump, the construction company that handled Dudy Noble renovations, and who actually finished on time. Seemed that companies that have a history finishing projects at MSU on schedule were not graded ahead for this Hump Renovation.
Isn't the Hump renovations by a company from Alabama?

The company that got the bid gonna lose their ass in penalties.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-13-2022, 09:06 PM
The company that got the bid gonna lose their ass in penalties.

Thrash Commercial Construction in Brandon is doing phase one

PGHBulldogBG
10-13-2022, 09:31 PM
Our fans better show up to support Jans. I understand not showing up for Howland’s constant underachievement, but we have our first real basketball coach (not recruiter but coach) since Richard Williams. I expect our fans to show up and believe that we can do something special in hoops. Not this year obviously but in a couple years once Jans builds us up. Basketball is my favorite sport and this is the most excited I’ve been for Miss State hoops since I was a kid with Williams.

LC Dawg
10-13-2022, 09:49 PM
The court was damaged. We are borrowing a court . But I was told we would still play in the Hump so if we are not it must have recently changed.

CaptainObvious
10-13-2022, 09:51 PM
Our fans better show up to support Jans. I understand not showing up for Howland’s constant underachievement, but we have our first real basketball coach (not recruiter but coach) since Richard Williams. I expect our fans to show up and believe that we can do something special in hoops. Not this year obviously but in a couple years once Jans builds us up. Basketball is my favorite sport and this is the most excited I’ve been for Miss State hoops since I was a kid with Williams.

Did you just say basketball is your favorite sport? Is this your first year as an MSU fan? Dude, we have maybe 15 years of success in our 100+ Years of basketball. And that success is looked down on most of our fans because usually the season end in Round 1 of a tourney.

Lord McBuckethead
10-14-2022, 12:41 AM
They can replace a court in like 4 days if needed. Seriously.

Ari Gold
10-14-2022, 03:59 AM
Blow up the athletic administration .. I have said for years now..

NCMSTFAN
10-14-2022, 06:51 AM

I hope to get the stands back full for both women's and men's teams. We were just in the National Championship game 4/5 years ago in Women's bball and had a National brand. I like Purcell and think he can get the girls turned around really quick, we have a lot of talent on the team right now and can make noise in year one with him. I agree with you about Jans, he is going to have to step up in recruiting and bring in bonafide SEC talent... but I have a feeling he will be a heck of a coach. I want to see the stands full again for both

Santiago
10-14-2022, 09:57 AM
Blow up the athletic administration .. I have said for years now..

yes. I could be wrong but they might have lost some good supporters as well.

gtowndawg
10-14-2022, 10:06 AM
Did you just say basketball is your favorite sport? Is this your first year as an MSU fan? Dude, we have maybe 15 years of success in our 100+ Years of basketball. And that success is looked down on most of our fans because usually the season end in Round 1 of a tourney.

He's not the only one that cares about basketball. Hold on to your hats, but I don't really care about baseball. I've never even been to the new Dude. My boys don't care either. Football and basketball is what we really watch. That's why last weekend was perfect for us (basketball Friday and football Saturday).

Rawdawg
10-14-2022, 11:00 AM
Yes the court was damaged badly. I have heard mixed reports on playing games at the hump, but I do know they?re scrambling.

PGHBulldogBG
10-14-2022, 11:34 AM
He's not the only one that cares about basketball. Hold on to your hats, but I don't really care about baseball. I've never even been to the new Dude. My boys don't care either. Football and basketball is what we really watch. That's why last weekend was perfect for us (basketball Friday and football Saturday).

Same I’m not much of a baseball guy. I will watch if our games are on TV but I don’t arrange my schedule around it like football and basketball. Of course I loved our NC run and really respect our program and appreciate its prestige, but it’s hard for me to watch baseball on TV unless it’s post season

NCMSTFAN
10-14-2022, 11:38 AM

Add me to the list. I'm a basketball and football guy also. I follow the success of the baseball team and cheer for them but I've never been a huge baseball fan either. Like you just mentioned, some of us do still care about basketball and I'm definitely one of them also.

CaptainObvious
10-14-2022, 11:43 AM
See. This is why we can?t have nice things! Instead of building a new arena from ground up, like, oh, so many others have, our ADmin goes on the cheap and tries to put lipstick on that Ol pig. Why not just play I. The tin gym in front of the 2000 average fans?

And as far as taking basketball over Baseball, there is no more worse prima Donas than basketball players! They are by far the worse. College Baseball players play for the love of the game and then a future. More about Team! Basketball is more about I!

NCMSTFAN
10-14-2022, 11:50 AM
See. This is why we can?t have nice things! Instead of building a new arena from ground up, like, oh, so many others have, our ADmin goes on the cheap and tries to put lipstick on that Ol pig. Why not just play I. The tin gym in front of the 2000 average fans?

And as far as taking basketball over Baseball, there is no more worse prima Donas than basketball players! They are by far the worse. College Baseball players play for the love of the game and then a future. More about Team! Basketball is more about I!

Eh, that's an opinionated statement...for me in particular it has nothing to do with prima donas any of the sports, basketball and football are just more enjoyable to watch. Baseball is hard to sit through for me....but that doesn't mean others can't enjoy it. Saying that baseball players play for the love of the game and basketball players don't is kinda ridiculous. There are plenty of hard working dedicated kids in both sports.

R2Dawg
10-14-2022, 11:51 AM
Add me to the list. I'm a basketball and football guy also. I follow the success of the baseball team and cheer for them but I've never been a huge baseball fan either. Like you just mentioned, some of us do still care about basketball and I'm definitely one of them also.

I'm same way but the baseball run the past 5 years, I have become a pretty big baseball fan. I love basketball but it pains me to see the decline we've had. Hoping for better days. The women's team kept me interested in some of the men's lean years.

I am still in on basketball and looking forward to the season on MSU campus - somewhere. If the Hump ain't available, I think playing in the historic McCarthy would be cool. It would be rockin if we start doing good. The students could pack it out too. It might even be just the shot in the arm our program needs. Oh the history that would be revived too.

BrunswickDawg
10-14-2022, 12:11 PM
I'm same way but the baseball run the past 5 years, I have become a pretty big baseball fan. I love basketball but it pains me to see the decline we've had. Hoping for better days. The women's team kept me interested in some of the men's lean years.

I am still in on basketball and looking forward to the season on MSU campus - somewhere. If the Hump ain't available, I think playing in the historic McCarthy would be cool. It would be rockin if we start doing good. The students could pack it out too. It might even be just the shot in the arm our program needs. Oh the history that would be revived too.

According to the Wiki - McCarthy held 5000 seats originally, and would now seat 3,000. I think it would be cool too. Add restroom trailers outside, and food trucks for concessions, pack it out and go. And from my experience in intramurals - that place is LOUD. The atmosphere could be insane.

NCMSTFAN
10-14-2022, 12:18 PM

I agree, the recent run and NC we had in baseball brought me in as a fan also, I'm just traditionally a basketball and football guy and always will be. I think using the McCarthy would be really neat to start the season if we have to. But they need to get the Hump done ASAP, these players deserve to play in a loud, huge packed stadium

Lord McBuckethead
10-14-2022, 12:35 PM

I would care about basketball so much more if they allowed me to buy courtside seats for the season, but alas they are already taken. Hell I think I would buy a box if they had one. football too.

Ezsoil
10-14-2022, 12:58 PM
All I know is that they are wayyyyyyyy behind schedule, so this wouldn't shock me at all.

They sent the bill for Mens and Womens parking separate from the tickets two weeks ago ...so I think they are planning on playing

basedog
10-14-2022, 01:12 PM
According to the Wiki - McCarthy held 5000 seats originally, and would now seat 3,000. I think it would be cool too. Add restroom trailers outside, and food trucks for concessions, pack it out and go. And from my experience in intramurals - that place is LOUD. The atmosphere could be insane.

Should have been a student when I was back in the very early 70's, wasn't any social media outlets and Starkville had no liquor stores close. You could bring cowbells, no wonder I can't hear today! LOL
Btw, loud and students sat right behind visitor bench, like 10 or 15 feet away, never forget how bad Rupp hated coming to Stark Vegas. Also, when Press Maravich was HC at Lsu, Apple Sanders (great Lsu player, 6'7" and a brute) got into a fight with one of our players, Press ran onto the court and dove on top of Sanders to protect him from the students running onto the court to help Hail State win the fight on the court, LOL!
I saw some great players come into the McCarty gym back in the day! U guys have no clue how loud it was, nothing to do but attend basketball games back in the day! Loved my time there!

RocketDawg
10-14-2022, 01:34 PM
Should have been a student when I was back in the very early 70's, wasn't any social media outlets and Starkville had no liquor stores close. You could bring cowbells, no wonder I can't hear today! LOL
Btw, loud and students sat right behind visitor bench, like 10 or 15 feet away, never forget how bad Rupp hated coming to Stark Vegas. Also, when Press Maravich was HC at Lsu, Apple Sanders (great Lsu player, 6'7" and a brute) got into a fight with one of our players, Press ran onto the court and dove on top of Sanders to protect him from the students running onto the court to help Hail State win the fight on the court, LOL!
I saw some great players come into the McCarty gym back in the day! U guys have no clue how loud it was, nothing to do but attend basketball games back in the day! Loved my time there!

Did you ever see Pete Maravich play? I was a little before you at State, so I saw one game he was in. Needlessly to say, he dominated us. He was an amazing player.

thf24
10-14-2022, 01:46 PM
What kind of damage to the court are we talking? Some accidental impacts or improper stress over time? I could see the latter causing issues beyond just coming up with another court.

basedog
10-14-2022, 01:51 PM
Did you ever see Pete Maravich play? I was a little before you at State, so I saw one game he was in. Needlessly to say, he dominated us. He was an amazing player.

Actually, I did, twice. First time I was a Sophomore in High School, our basketball team chartered a bus for all of us (B-Team and Varsity) to go see him play when he was a Freshman (Fr couldn't play varsity). He put on a show, scored 66 points that night and pretty much had every asset by the other players scored! When the game ended the old coliseum at Tiger Land, got almost empty as the varsity was awful. When Pistol Pete came to Stark Vegas, you had to stand a long time to get in McCarty to see him play. In my mind, Pistol Pete was the GOAT for college basketball. Man, the show he put on during warmups was way better than any Globe Trotter show! No one could handle a basketball like him in his day, not even close!

CaptainObvious
10-14-2022, 03:21 PM
I would care about basketball so much more if they allowed me to buy courtside seats for the season, but alas they are already taken. Hell I think I would buy a box if they had one. football too.

Don?t get me wrong. I love basketball. But I would be different. I would rather a new facility with the Students ringing the floor on about the first 6 rows all the way around. They are going to stand. So there would need to be a walkway all the way around behind them. Then Row 7 would be seats that are high enough above row 6 that paying fans can see over them. No true upper deck with portals. Just rows 7 through 36 all the way around with portals coming down into the arena. 8000 seats and skyboxes the rest of the way above row 36. Total capacity maxed at 9600 but close and loud!

Cloak
10-14-2022, 03:28 PM
They tore the entire court out a few weeks ago.

LC Dawg
10-14-2022, 03:45 PM
What kind of damage to the court are we talking? Some accidental impacts or improper stress over time? I could see the latter causing issues beyond just coming up with another court.

I think it's water damage but I honestly can't remember if I was told that or just assumed it.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-14-2022, 03:46 PM
Texas A&M basically demolished and rebuilt a 100K seat Football Stadium in one off-season.

Pinto
10-14-2022, 05:37 PM
Yeah but they didn?t have Larry Cohen leading the way.

Texas A&M basically demolished and rebuilt a 100K seat Football Stadium in one off-season.

Martianlander
10-14-2022, 05:46 PM

I'm the same age he was. Saw him three times. Sophomore, Junior and Senior year. Freshmen weren't eligible then. He was something to see.

Homedawg
10-14-2022, 06:08 PM

For a half a billion dollars. They have the money to do that. We don't. We aren't in the zone stratosphere w them.

RocketDawg
10-14-2022, 06:12 PM
Actually, I did, twice. First time I was a Sophomore in High School, our basketball team chartered a bus for all of us (B-Team and Varsity) to go see him play when he was a Freshman (Fr couldn't play varsity). He put on a show, scored 66 points that night and pretty much had every asset by the other players scored! When the game ended the old coliseum at Tiger Land, got almost empty as the varsity was awful. When Pistol Pete came to Stark Vegas, you had to stand a long time to get in McCarty to see him play. In my mind, Pistol Pete was the GOAT for college basketball. Man, the show he put on during warmups was way better than any Globe Trotter show! No one could handle a basketball like him in his day, not even close!

Absolutely agree. The State fans were even pulling for him the one game I saw.

Goldendawg
10-14-2022, 06:48 PM

Football pays all the bills. Season tickets for 50 plus years, but never for baseball or basketball. Have been to a few games with friend who has season tickets and watch any games televised, but heck, will watch State play tiddly winks on TV, especially vs. OM.

Goldendawg
10-14-2022, 06:51 PM
They can replace a court in like 4 days if needed. Seriously.

Do we still have that rubber, bouncy basketball court in a closet somewhere? Ask LT, he never threw anything away. Look behind the LT troughs!*****

Goldendawg
10-14-2022, 08:30 PM

Also saw some great concerts in McCarthy while I was at State, (not MState), Lynerd Skynerd b4 the plane crash, Doobie Brothers, Billy Joel, Leon & Mary Russell, Jerry Jeff Walker & the Lost Gonzo Band, even Barry Manilow ( free tickets with two girls). Even saw Linda Ronstat in the Animal Husbandry Bldg. (name?). Think Hump opened my Sr, year.

Schultzy
10-14-2022, 10:29 PM
Also saw some great concerts in McCarthy while I was at State, (not MState), Lynerd Skynerd b4 the plane crash, Doobie Brothers, Billy Joel, Leon & Mary Russell, Jerry Jeff Walker & the Lost Gonzo Band, even Barry Manilow ( free tickets with two girls). Even saw Linda Ronstat in the Animal Husbandry Bldg. (name?). Think Hump opened my Sr, year.
That’s a helluva post.

Reunion Dog
10-14-2022, 10:49 PM
During Babe McCarthy years? all the folks brought cowbells to the games. My parents said that your ears would ring for 3 days and they use to get in 5,500 for games.

Todd4State
10-14-2022, 10:55 PM
It seems to me that if we couldn't use the Hump we would most likely use McCarthy or go to Tupelo before we go to Jackson.

Jackson is two hours away vs Tupelo being about an hour away.

msu15
10-14-2022, 11:24 PM

Your username is appropriate for sure. Awesome list.

tcdog70
10-15-2022, 09:49 AM
Cow barn. Was where we had concerts.—James Brown—Jerry Lee—Sam and Dave