PDA

View Full Version : Dawgs passing defense may be the best turn around in our history

BlackSailsDawg
10-10-2022, 09:55 AM
I'm going to give you 2 things about this staff and their ability to develop. First up, passing defense.

In 2021 Our Team Passing Efficiency Defense was ranked 81st in the nation! .... We had an NFL CB back there and HE was great and will represent us in the NFL. I know some thought we would be worse or maybe as good. I read "you don't lose a guy to the NFL without feeling the effects of it!"

Well.... 2022... We are ranked #19 in Team Passing Efficiency Defense so far! Talk about a turn around!

Next is the OL. No need in going into it, but we have improved where people thought we would drop off because we lost Cross! So far, our sacks are on a 50% reduction and our RUN game is explosive!

Folks, that's development and forward thinking by this staff!

BONUS thought: We have 25 four stars per 247. 11 of those are Freshmen!

DownwardDawg
10-10-2022, 10:20 AM
Good points. We read comments all summer from our resident "experts" how much our O line would struggle. It's been the best unit on the team so far.

Commercecomet24
10-10-2022, 10:52 AM
Good points. We read comments all summer from our resident "experts" how much our O line would struggle. It's been the best unit on the team so far.

Yep. And it's still early but this OL is showing signs of being much better than last years version.

Moving Jones to LT and putting Lasoya in at LG after dolla bill went down is the best thing that's happened to this team. Jones is way quicker and has better feet than dolla and Lasoya has been great in pass pro and a road grader in run game.

Johnson85
10-10-2022, 10:54 AM

Well, they got worked pretty good against LSU. Not sure if that was scheme or what, or if we're just better with Kam at LT instead of Dolla Bill. Not disputing that they are greatly improved and have done great the last couple of games, but want to see how we handle the next elite pass rusher before saying they're the best unit by far.

Commercecomet24
10-10-2022, 11:02 AM
Well, they got worked pretty good against LSU. Not sure if that was scheme or what, or if we're just better with Kam at LT instead of Dolla Bill. Not disputing that they are greatly improved and have done great the last couple of games, but want to see how we handle the next elite pass rusher before saying they're the best unit by far.

I agree it's early but AM(see what they did against bamas 5 star ol) didn't get pressure on Will and arky the leading sack team in the sec only had one pressure, no sacks. Kam is still at right tackle, it was Nick Jones who moved to LT from LG. They've been great the last 3 games and we still have some pretty good defenses to face the next 3 weeks, but so far the ol has been better than last year and not just in pass pro but we're running the ball better than ever.

Tater
10-10-2022, 11:15 AM
Is our history cutting out the turn around from 2016 -> 2017 -> 2018?

Also we haven't played a good passer yet. Hold judgment on this until we prove it against Young or Bennett. We're better than last year but we've also played mostly worse competition and have 3 big passing Os left to deal with + Kentucky.

parabrave
10-10-2022, 11:24 AM
Open up a running game does wonders against pass rushes,

BlackSailsDawg
10-10-2022, 11:29 AM
Also we haven't played a good passer yet. Hold judgment on this until we prove it against Young or Bennett.

Not going to hold judgement. I'm going to friggin enjoy the improvements! But you do you.

Tater
10-10-2022, 12:22 PM
Not going to hold judgement. I'm going to friggin enjoy the improvements! But you do you.

There's a difference between enjoying improvements and posting outright sunshine pumping falsehoods.

Our 2016 through 2018 turnaround was spectacular. That was a worst P5 to best P5 turnaround. Across three different DCs to boot. This turn around is good with the potential to be great. But greatness is ahead of us, not behind us. We have to go get it. It hasn't been earned yet.

And to contextualize you thinking I'm a negative nancy, I'm a top 5 sunshine pumping optimist on this board. I said 10-2 preseason and I bet on it.

Commercecomet24
10-10-2022, 12:23 PM
There's a difference between enjoying improvements and posting outright sunshine pumping falsehoods.

Our 2016 through 2018 turnaround was spectacular. That was a worst P5 to best P5 turnaround. Across three different DCs to boot. This turn around is good with the potential to be great. But greatness is ahead of us, not behind us. We have to go get it. It hasn't been earned yet.

And to contextualize you thinking I'm a negative nancy, I'm a top 5 sunshine pumping optimist on this board. I said 10-2 preseason and I bet on it.

Good post. I agree and yes you have been bullish on this team since the beginning.

BlackSailsDawg
10-10-2022, 12:43 PM

BS! Read the title! Dawgs passing defense may be . Like I said, you want to split hairs you do you. But 2016 to 2018 is 3 seasons.

This turn around is good with the potential to be great. But greatness is ahead of us, not behind us. We have to go get it. It hasn't been earned yet.

All future is ahead of us. But the accomplishments are behind us. Like I said, read the title and do you. But I'm going to give credit where credit is due!

Goldendawg
10-10-2022, 01:56 PM
Not a coach, but what happens when Bill recovers? Will he be in game shape? Go with the hot hand? More depth? OL seems to have jelled in his absence.

TrapGame
10-10-2022, 02:04 PM
Not a coach, but what happens when Bill recovers? Will he be in game shape? Go with the hot hand? More depth? OL seems to have jelled in his absence.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

msu15
10-11-2022, 12:29 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yep. If he wants to come back next year and compete for a spot you let him for sure, but for now he should be a backup for the rest of this season barring an injury.

msudawglb
10-11-2022, 08:30 AM
Yeah, we?ve benefited from playing some bad QBs. Let?s see how we do the next 2 weekends.

TrapGame
10-11-2022, 09:15 AM
Yeah, we?ve benefited from playing some bad QBs. Let?s see how we do the next 2 weekends.

Yeah, about that. Lot of scuttlebutt on UK boards that Levis might not play our game either. Supposedly he's looked like ass in practice b/c of the toe.

I bet he still plays though.

Johnson85
10-11-2022, 09:36 AM
Yeah, about that. Lot of scuttlebutt on UK boards that Levis might not play our game either. Supposedly he's looked like ass in practice b/c of the toe.

I bet he still plays though.

Yea, probably not going to shoot him up for practice. I think if you expect it to get better in a week or two, you sit him. If it's going to be lingering all season regardless, I think you shoot him up and let him play unless he decides he wants to shut it down and hope he can get drafted based on his body of work so far, workouts and measurables.

Commercecomet24
10-11-2022, 09:39 AM
Yea, probably not going to shoot him up for practice. I think if you expect it to get better in a week or two, you sit him. If it's going to be lingering all season regardless, I think you shoot him up and let him play unless he decides he wants to shut it down and hope he can get drafted based on his body of work so far, workouts and measurables.

This. These things only heal with rest and treatment, he's gonna be dealing with it all season. He's gonna have to take the needle to get through the year or as you said he shuts it down.

TrapGame
10-11-2022, 10:18 AM

A poster on one of the UK boards says he's a doctor and broke down the boot situation. He said if your tough toe is bad enough to wear a boot and not even be dressed out for the game it's a lot more serious than they are letting on. He said grade 1 turf toe is a shoot it up and play situation but a grade 3, which requires a boot, is serious business.

Then the rumors started flying b/c everyone has a "source" that Levis has been advised to shut it down and think about the next level.

Commercecomet24
10-11-2022, 10:26 AM
A poster on one of the UK boards says he's a doctor and broke down the boot situation. He said if your tough toe is bad enough to wear a boot and not even be dressed out for the game it's a lot more serious than they are letting on. He said grade 1 turf toe is a shoot it up and play situation but a grade 3, which requires a boot, is serious business.

Then the rumors started flying b/c everyone has a "source" that Levis has been advised to shut it down and think about the next level.

I'm telling you if you've never seen a turf toe you're missing out lol. People just hear the word toe and think, "Cmon man you can play with a hurt toe" but I'm telling you those things are ugly and painful. He may try to play but if that thing gets stepped on or kicked, or he just steps wrong, you're gonna see a big ol boy cry like a little girl.