PDA

View Full Version : Wheeler Basketball Preview

BrunswickDawg
11-26-2013, 08:18 AM
Info has been scant to date with the focus on Playoff Football - but the Marietta Daily Journal ran this Sunday:

"A sixth state championship for Doug Lipscomb and the Wheeler basketball team may be in the works.

The Wildcats came one shot away from playing for it last season. Jerron Love attempted a game-tying shot at the buzzer that didn?t go in, and Wheeler had to settle for a 56-54 loss to county rival Hillgrove in the state semifinals.

The Wildcats, however, have returned virtually their entire roster, with the exception of point guard Austin Smoak, who graduated. The returning players, most of whom are upper classmen, are a big reason why the Wildcats were ranked No. 10 nationally by the Student Sports and No. 17 by MaxPreps in their preseason rankings.

?We have the same team as we did last year,? said Lipscomb, entering his 21st season. ?If we make an effort, and if we play together, we can be successful.?

The Wildcats also have two five-star recruits in junior 6-foot-6 forward Jaylen Brown and junior 6-foot-9 center Daniel Giddens. Brown has already received 18 offers from Division I schools that includes Georgia, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, Florida and Alabama. Giddens has also been offered by many of the same schools, and he also recently received an offer from Big Ten power Indiana.

Other standouts returning for Wheeler include 6-6 senior forward Elijah Staley, who has committed to Mississippi State, and senior point guard Avery Patterson, who committed to Western Kentucky.

Senior twins Malik and Bilal Abdur-Rahim, the younger brothers of former Wheeler standout and retired NBA player Shareef Abdur-Rahim, are also back."

Elijah is noted an "other standout returning" - shows how deep they are that a guy who scored 29 in the season opener is an "other".

smootness
11-26-2013, 10:14 AM
People will always see 5-star ratings and assume those players are the team's best. Staley is a senior, those guys are both juniors, so I expect Staley to be the leader. And I'm pretty sure Staley was better than at least Giddens last year. With Giddens, his rating seems to be more about potential so far than actual production.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I don't get the MJD.